• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dustbowl 4! MK Banned! RC+Brinstar added!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Hello all!

Ive decided to make my grand return to TOing by including Smash in what is currently the biggest and best fighting game tournament series in all of Upstate New York!

The Dustbowl series began shortly after the release of Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and has since become the premier fighting game event in the area, attracting talent from as far East as Albany and Troy, and from as far West as Rochester and Buffalo, at times even getting special guests from Pennsylvania and NYC. This is THE event to put your true skills to the test.

This time around, I have convinced the Organizer of the 4th Dustbowl, to include Brawl singles on his roster on a probationary basis. Based on his previous experience with smash players (MLG 2010) he was very weary of adding smash to his line up. So I ask personally that you show him your utmost respect. Once he is made to understand our community, I am sure that Smash will become a Staple of these events.

I will post the links to the Facebook, and SRK threads for you all to show your support and confirm your attendance, through those links you will find all location, and time information for the event as well as ruleset information for the other games being held.

FB: https://www.facebook.com/events/374560669276066/
SRK: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...nus-for-tekken-and-marvel-syracuse-ny.165242/
Note:
Play the Game, Read the Story moved to a new location, actually, so it's not in carousel. It's close by, but no longer in mall itself. Kyle you should probably note that in the OP.

That said, I'm definitely attending, and will bring a crowd. Also working with Voltage Video Games, as is Damus, so we'll get some attendance from there, too. =)

Ruleset:
This will be a Unity focused ruleset with some small amendments. These rules are currently not set in stone, so if you want something changed, speak up and ask for it!

General Gameplay Rules

3 Stocks
8 Minute Time Limit
Items set to "Off" and "None"
Meta Knight is banned.
All infinites and chain grabs are legal.
The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 150%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you. Instances of stalling will be judged at a TOs (that means me) discretion. I suggest that you not test me on this issue, because I do intentionally look for chances to DQ people on this. It makes me happy to do it. Punishments will range from a warning to a stock loss to a set loss.
Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
If the match ends with a player initiating a suicide move, the player who initiate the move will receive the win for that game.

Set Procedure

1. [1]Player Ports is determined if it can not be agreed on.
    [2] Each Player selects their character. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
    [3] The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Full Legal Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 1-1-1-1... (Player 1 strikes a stage, followed by Player 2 striking a stage, and so on until one stage is left to play game one on).
    [4] The first match is played.
    [5] The Team that won the previous match may announce one "Stage Ban" if they have not already done so in this set.
    [6] The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Full Legal Stage List. Any Stage named as a "Stage Ban" by the either Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.
    [7] The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
    [8] The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
    [9] The next match is played.
    [10] Repeat steps 5-9 for all proceeding matches.

Stage list:

Battlefield
Castle Siege
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Battleship Halberd
Delfino Plaza
Pokémon Stadium 2
Frigate Orpheon
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise

Conduct Rules

BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
In the case of a match being paused (except in the case of confirmed death), the offending party is at the mercy of his opponent, punishment for pausing is a stock loss for a first offense and a automatic game loss for a second offense. The opponent, may choose to make no action, and 'let it rock' and continue the match without penalizing the pauser.
Players who use the Wii Remote must take the batteries out of the Wii Remote when not playing. If the Wii Remote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in, you could unintentionally disrupt a match. If problems persist, a DQ may happen.
You are responsible for your own controller. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility (including battery issues with a Wii Remote), so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be paused or restarted because of these problems.
Intentional forfeiting, match fixing, splitting, and any other forms of bracket manipulation are not allowed and punishable by the TO.
The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
Regarding textures and other game hacks:
Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
The URC recommends players do not use intrusive texture and stage hacks.
Disrupting your opponent physically will result in a warning. Repeated action will result in disqualification from the tournament and possibly ejection from the venue. Observers who physically disrupt players are to be dealt with as the Tournament Organiser sees fit. Disqualification is recommended if possible, and ejection from the venue is also a punishment.

Sharky

Smash Master
Play the Game, Read the Story moved to a new location, actually, so it's not in carousel. It's close by, but no longer in mall itself. Kyle you should probably note that in the OP.

That said, I'm definitely attending, and will bring a crowd. Also working with Voltage Video Games, as is Damus, so we'll get some attendance from there, too. =)

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Ill be in ny at this time. so i will attend. I need teammates.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Didn't bother reading, assumed any good tournament would have teams.

Unsubscribing.

aka

not coming

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I was probably going to ban you anyway.

Also, lol at 'good tournament' from the kid who plays mortal kombat.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Definately not confirmed, I may have to pick and choose which tournies I'm able to make throughout the Fall/Winter but I'm keeping my eye on this. This looks very promising.

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
Going.

CPs and Starters are all grouped together? Interesting...

By the way is this single or double elimination? I can't find it in the info.

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
I plan on attending this. Yes, Really.

However after reviewing the rules, I gotta say I'm kinda iffy on Pokemon Stadium 2. There is something about that stage I really don't like. I know I'm not the TO, it's just something I wanted to say.

Also I've got a friend who went to the Voltage tournament who I think would be interested in attending. We'll see about that.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Do it, I want to blow this one out of the water. And also to prove to Damus that the smash community isnt just a bunch of reckless hoodlums that dont know how to behave.

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
Goggles, this may sound like a stupid, stupid question, but:

I have a controller that has an analog stick where the c-stick goes. Would I be allowed to use this at the tourney?

:phone:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Thats a pretty goofy question. But let me tell you, what would be REALLY stupid is if you didnt ask a question about something that directly affects you like that if you werent sure about it.

But yea, thats fine dude.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
If you guys dont mind, i need anyone with a concrete opinion to go to the facebook page for this tournament and post on my comment saying whether you want to keep MK legal or ban him

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
Thats a pretty goofy question. But let me tell you, what would be REALLY stupid is if you didnt ask a question about something that directly affects you like that if you werent sure about it.

But yea, thats fine dude.

Wasn't that important actually. I have a normal controller, I just hate the c-stick at times. And now that I play Marth, that's actually relevant to my gameplay.

However, odds are I won't be using my "special" controller because I am in the middle of airbrushing it, and with my track record on projects like that, it could be like a year before I finish it. Seriously.
Also I haven't been able to afford a compressor, so I have to go out and buy another 12 dollar can of air because I'm almost out. I'll probably go through like 2 more before I'm done. So yeah, at the rate I'm going it won't be done by the tournament.

This is relevant, because I may consider airbrushing a smash themed controller for an additional prize for the tournament. Operative word being may.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Attention everyone.

Im running a vote and a poll.
Can everyone here tell me whether they would like mk banned at this event or not?

The current tally is 5 votes yes 1 vote no

Inty17

Smash Journeyman
Sign me up Goggles :) I think this might as well be my first Marvel tourney. And I'm gonna bring a melee and p:m setup anyway, and we can probably schedule a side tournament for both if anyone's down.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
The current vote tally is 9 to 2 in favor of a ban on MK, I would like more opinions from people that will be entering the brawl tournament at this event.

And Inty, Im going to go ahead now and put madd faith in you. I say out of the possibly 40+ people entering marvel at this, youll place at least top 16.

Zhenkai

Smash Journeyman
Well...since I already spoke to you earlier today Goggles, I'mma possibly see if I can try to make some plans for this. There's no guarantees, but will see what'll happen. man.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ill be here
Sooooo this is pretty hype.

One of (imo THE BEST) the top Snake mains in the country will be attending this event.
The boy is so fatal he killed my thread lol.

But yea we have some high level people coming to this for multiple games. Theres even a chance that MarlinPie and some of the Long Island Marvel players will be at this. Its going to be some heavy competition. SO PUT YOUR GAME FACES ON PEOPLE

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Couldnt tell ya. I was on the phone with the dude for a half hour just to get him to run brawl. Only time will tell.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Will be here
san is alive! :D You're going to have to beat Fatal and take your spot back as best Ike.

In the meantime, I'm going to have to put some serious work in to have any sort of chance at top two.

I really look forward to playing you again san.

Top Bottom