• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

THE DREAMLAND INVASION: "Kirby Character Discussion Thread"

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
KIRBY FRANCHISE CHARACTER DISCUSSION

WELCOME TO DREAMLAND

Upon the development of Smash 4, there has been rumor & speculation on who may be the Kirby franchise's fourth Newcomer.
Prior to Brawl, Kirby was his sole individual character, until Meta Knight & King Dedede came along & joined the roster.

Kirby Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324182

Meta Knight Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324190

King Dedede Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324181

Now it's time for someone new to arrive, someone prepared to join the franchise & fight it out. It's almost destined to happen, Mario, Zelda, Pokemon...all Veteran franchise's from Smash 64, all have four representatives & it's now Kirby's turn. Newcomer's so far mentioned happen to be:

[Note: If you're not familiar with a certain character, don't hesitate to visit their thread if, they have one listed below.)

Bandada Dee: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324430

Knuckle Joe: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=325039

Dark Matter: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324483

Galacta Knight: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=325029

Rick & Gooey: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324477

Prince Fluff/Yarn Kirby: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324383

Waddle Doo: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324784

Adeleine http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=333869

Discuss the possibility & gather support for your choice as Kirby's new, newcomer or If you don't believe he should get one, explain why. Any characters not mentioned? Please bring them into the discussion.

Not to forget the enemies & side characters, should there be any enemies or bosses who should join along the Kirby Invasion maybe as a Boss or Assist Trophy?

(Please reframe from flame wars here, if you dislike a certain character or someone's opinion don't bash it, but discuss with them the reason or flaws in their decision.)
(Also if you have a thread that I may have looked over in the OP dealing with a Kirby character thread you made, just post a link & I'll update the OP with it as soon as possible.)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Nice up skirt shot of the little girl.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The fact that you didn't bring up Dark Matter or my Dark Matter thread disturbs me.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
D

Deleted member

If we were to get a Kirby rep, I would prefer to have either Knuckle Joe or Bandanna Dee. Those look interesting.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Knuckle Joe may have a possible moveset, along with any character from kirby superstar, but he's a generic enemy the lines of a goomba

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Knuckle Joe may have a possible moveset, along with any character from kirby superstar, but he's a generic enemy the lines of a goomba
How can you honestly compare Knuckle Joe to a Goomba, I see where you'd get that Idea, but the same can go for waddle dee & majority of all the other names in Kirby. Sakurai must have saw something in Dee & Joe to even think to include them in Brawl, especially Joe since he had a solo appearance

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Goomba, koopa. maybe hammer bros may have been a better comparison.

I didn't think they had that much of a difference

D

Deleted member

I understand that and as such, realize that his chances are zero. But then again, I don't particularly care about how poor of a choice my want is. All I really need to want a character in Smash is if I would play as that character. And I would play as him.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I really think if any character from Kirby had the chance to add a wholey unique and well feeling moveset it's dark matter

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
I really think if any character from Kirby had the chance to add a wholey unique and well feeling moveset it's dark matter
Uniqueness yes, but well feeling moveset I beg to differ, I'll even go out on a limb, being completely unbias & say Bandana Dee has a better balance to it's moveset than Dark Matter, I'd rather see DM as a Boss, that would be cool, but playable wise...I couldn't see it

I understand that and as such, realize that his chances are zero. But then again, I don't particularly care about how poor of a choice my want is. All I really need to want a character in Smash is if I would play as that character. And I would play as him.
I wouldn't say either Dee or Joe chances would be zero, that would be like comparing them to Goku or some other worldly thing that Sakurai wouldn't want in his game, to say the least out of all the Kirby characters I've seen the most memorable are Joe & Dee which really counts, percentage wise, I would say they have an 60-70% chance if Kirby does indeed have a fourth rep

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I doubt the addition of a new Kirby character in SSB4. Maybe in SSB5. If there was for some reason a new Kirby character, I would guess it would be Bandana Dee. Galacta Knight has a scarily fast-increasing amount of support though. They'll add him once they need a Meta-Knight semi-clone. :laugh::awesome::troll:

Personally I've got all the Kirby characters I want, so I'd be perfectly content not getting any more for a while. I do hope we get a Kirby boss this time around though, preferably Marx. :grin:

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
I doubt the addition of a new Kirby character in SSB4. Maybe in SSB5. If there was for some reason a new Kirby character, I would guess it would be Bandana Dee. Galacta Knight has a scarily fast-increasing amount of support though. They'll add him once they need a Meta-Knight semi-clone. :laugh::awesome::troll:

Personally I've got all the Kirby characters I want, so I'd be perfectly content not getting any more for a while. I do hope we get a Kirby boss this time around though, preferably Marx. :grin:
Maybe this is a dumb question, but wouldn't Master & Crazy count as Kirby bosses, I mean they orignated in Smash 64 I believe, but later on were the final boss of one or two kirby games....?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
No, Master Hand and Crazy Hand are still considered characters from Super Smash Bros. Also they weren't the final boss in Kirby: And The Amazing Mirror.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Maybe this is a dumb question, but wouldn't Master & Crazy count as Kirby bosses, I mean they orignated in Smash 64 I believe, but later on were the final boss of one or two kirby games....?
Not really, they were just guess bosses. Although they appeared in Amazing Mirror, they both debuted and have appeared more in the Smash series.

It's pretty much the same as guest characters in other games (DK in Punch-Out, Ridley in Dead or Alive, Pac-Man in Mario Kart, etc.), they'd be considered guest characters.

I did like the Smash ability in that game, though. ;)

edit: And as Habanero said, they weren't the final bosses, but that really wouldn't effect their guest status anyway. And Crazy Hand debuted in Melee, but now I'm nitpicking, lol. :embarrass:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
ROB was in Dreamland 4 as well
Dream Land 3? Samus and a couple obscure Nintendo characters were in that as well. Also a ton of items from other Nintendo series appeared in The Great Cave Offensive in Super Star. Plus IIRC Kirby could turn into Samus and Mario statues with the stone power occasionally in that game.

It really shows that Sakurai was interested in mixing different Nintendo series together before he even worked on Smash Bros.

edit: Ninja'd on some of this stuff but whatevah. :shades:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yeah, I mixed them up. I must have included kirby's adventure as a dreamland game

D

Deleted member

Hardly. If you know Smash's history, you would know that it wasn't originally Smash Bros. at all, but a generic fighting game with generic fighters. The series was to be "Dragon King", with the first game (which evolved into Smash Bros.) being "Dragon King: The Fighting Game".

jigglover

Smash Lord
Yeah, I read somewhere (ONM) that first of all Sakurai wanted Nintendo characters in it and made a prototype with them in, but his boss or something, can't remember exactly said that it isn't a good idea and created generic fighters, but in the end Sakurai one with the Nintendo characters and got to work on it. If it was Dragon King then I wouldn't have played the series probably, it would never have been brought to my attention.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, I read somewhere (ONM) that first of all Sakurai wanted Nintendo characters in it and made a prototype with them in, but his boss or something, can't remember exactly said that it isn't a good idea and created generic fighters, but in the end Sakurai one with the Nintendo characters and got to work on it. If it was Dragon King then I wouldn't have played the series probably, it would never have been brought to my attention.
It was pretty much the opposite of this. Sakurai was working on a game with generic, original fighters, and higher-ups questioned the potential lack of appeal the game might have to the market, so Sakurai then came up with the idea to add established Nintendo characters which would draw in consumers. IIRC there was a bit of hesitance from Nintendo, and they still thought it wouldn't sell great, so originally it was only planned for Japan, but after great and fairly immediate success, they quickly released it overseas.

jigglover

Smash Lord
It was pretty much the opposite of this. Sakurai was working on a game with generic, original fighters, and higher-ups questioned the potential lack of appeal the game might have to the market, so Sakurai then came up with the idea to add established Nintendo characters which would draw in consumers. IIRC there was a bit of hesitance from Nintendo, and they still thought it wouldn't sell great, so originally it was only planned for Japan, but after great and fairly immediate success, they quickly released it overseas.
Oh cool, thanks, it shows how good my memory is... I'm going to go and find that magazine now and check if it really says that, since there is a chance it's wrong.

Edit: No, just skimmed it and I just couldn't remember it right.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Wasn't it some demo without the original characters that had Link and Mario has models for them instead and players said they should keep it like that?

And Kirby's final boss are pretty scary in some way like in K:DR
it looks like it's smiling but it's mouth is an eye.

To me it's either Prince Fluff or Bandana Dee but not both.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Wheres Marx? :troll:
Beat me to it!

I was about to say no one has suggested him. I think he'd be best suited as a boss, but if we saw Marx as a character I'd be thrilled. He should have the wings and whatnot if he was a character, they can resize him.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I think that Kirby is pretty likely. I'll tell you what would be funny! If Kirby was actually REPLACED by yarn Kirby!
That wouldn't be funny. That would be stupid.

I say if we get a new Kirby rep, I would want Bandana Dee the most.

Also, @everyone asking for Dark Matter/Marx/basically any Kirby villain:

omfg havn't u guyz herd they arn't relevent anymore so they no haz chance! :troll:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Why Thank you :D,

lol but, it best represented her fighting ability so I used it..
didn't draw it so, not my problem :p
Oh ****, people remember her?:awesome:

Adeleine seems like one of those characters that could be unique with her painting ability but could easily end up as an assist trophy and do exactly what she does as her boss fight in Kirby 64. I would love to play her if she makes the roster in a future Smash game, but she's very unlikely due to I guess not being relevant anymore. What's her popularity like?

Good thing she wears a skirt, it increases her chances.:troll:

:phone:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
That wouldn't be funny. That would be stupid.

I say if we get a new Kirby rep, I would want Bandana Dee the most.

Also, @everyone asking for Dark Matter/Marx/basically any Kirby villain:

omfg havn't u guyz herd they arn't relevent anymore so they no haz chance! :troll:
[COLLAPSE="Look here"]
[/COLLAPSE]
Also counting his appearances in Mass Attack, Super Star Ultra, and Squeak Squad. In the Japanese Kirby Canvas Curse manual, Drawcia made a pact with Zero and Dark Matter and Nightmare had Mirror versions of themselves in Kirby & The Amazing Mirror unlike the others. :troll:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
[COLLAPSE="Look here"]
[/COLLAPSE]
Also counting his appearances in Mass Attack, Super Star Ultra, and Squeak Squad. In the Japanese Kirby Canvas Curse manual, Drawcia made a pact with Zero and Dark Matter and Nightmare had Mirror versions of themselves in Kirby & The Amazing Mirror unlike the others. :troll:
Canvas Curse and Mass Attack are spinoffs, so they don't count. None of those are Retuen to Dream Land, and since that's the most recent one it means they aren't relevant. :troll:

I've been joking this whole time. K. Rool fans will get it.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Canvas Curse and Mass Attack are spinoffs, so they don't count. None of those are Retuen to Dream Land, and since that's the most recent one it means they aren't relevant. :troll:

I've been joking this whole time. K. Rool fans will get it.
Oh, gotcha. ;)

I'm also hoping Ado/Adeliene makes another appearance since she is long over due and a few fans would have preferred her instead of Bandana Dee in Return to Dreamland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom