• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

That's Not All, Volks! John Raimi from Geist.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Because Luigi and Pac-Man have to chase/fight something ghost-related ;) :

John Raimi specializes in bio and chemical threats, and is asked for assistance by the fictitious CR-2 government branch in a raid/investigation. During the events of Geist his spirit was ripped from his body after being taken hostage by the Volks Corporation. While in his ghost form, he could possess objects and scare people—thereby allowing him to possess their bodies. John Raimi is somewhat of your prototypical Nintendo character insofar as he's the strong silent type (though he did have to do some pretty un-Nintendo actions in order to get his body back). Raimi could be an unique, versatile, and unexpected addition to the Smash Bros. roster.

Special: “Object Possess”
Raimi’s spirit leaves and goes towards an object (Pokeball, Sword, Party Ball, etc.). The spirit travels much faster than Raimi and can use the object on-the-spot or carry it back to Raimi, depending on the item. The downside is that this leaves Raimi’s physical body vulnerable to attack (which would accrue damage and negate the spirit).

Up Special: “Grappling hook”
In the opening scene of Geist, Raimi was lowered into the Volks Compound via a wire suspended by a helicopter. He almost escapes the Volks compound after the mission is seemingly accomplished by the same wire, but then all the ghost-stuff happens. This will act similar to Olimar's Brawl Up Special.

Side Special: “Spirit Grenade”
A lobbing grenade that releases a green gaseous mixture to temporarily stun the spirit out of an opponent, in order to advance his attacks. (This was a weapon used against spirits in the multiplayer mode).

Down Special: “Scare”
Raimi ducks down and his spirit pops up, This will be similar to Wario’s…uh, gastro-intestinal move. The longer you don’t use it, the larger the spirit appears and more powerful the attack is.

Final Smash: “Hijack"
Raimi’s spirit possesses an opponent, has them shake and pound themselves on the ground, with the final pound sending them flying.

Or ...

"Ethereal Blast"
In the final boss of Geist, Raimi's spirit releases a barrage of red energy masses (ethereal blasts) to defeat his enemy. In Smash Bros., the spirit can perform this over Raimi's physical body (similar to Mario's Final Smash in Brawl) or to be more reminiscent of the actual game, an over-the-shoulder or first person view (akin to Zero Suit Samus) can pinpoint where the blasts should go.

John Rami's Smash symbol:

The "Double-V" insignia of the Volks Corporation, who developed the technology to separate a spirit from a physical body.

Kirby Hat:

Entrance: Raimi is lowered in by a helicopter ladder.

Taunts:
Up - Raimi's spirit leaves his body momentarily, and then re-enters--giving Raimi's body a jolt in the process.
Side - Raimi does his hand signal that he and his friend Bryson do; think of it as a half-Vulcan/half-victory sign.
Down - The ghost of Gigi (a spirt helper and little girl) passes by Raimi when his back is turned, saying, "Raaaiiimmmiii," briefly frightening him.

Stage: Helicopter Pad
Raimi stops Project-Z by shooting down a helicopter full of "spectral operatives" en-route to ruin a Paris summit...but that doesn't mean those aboard are dead. The Smash Bros. stage would recreate the scene by having the combatants battle in front of a burning helicopter. Every so often a red spirit will emerge from the wreckage and possess or push combatants into flames located at the sides of the main stage. On either side of the stage will be a drop-off/edge with a platform on one side and perhaps on on the top (hanging from a crane). In the background will be another flying helicopter with Raimi's friend, Bryson, in it...only to have it shot down and reappear. (It's kind of Bryson's schtick--the man just won't quit!)

Assist Trophy: Wraith
Wraith--the spider-like, black wisp of a demon--will possess a random character, causing them to act erratically (not unlike how a character would control with Luigi's Negative Zone Final Smash), allowing them to be more vulnerable to attack.

Trophies:
  • Raimi
  • Final Smash
  • Thomas Bryson
  • Anna
  • Phantom (dog)
  • Alexander Volks
  • Gigi Volks
  • Volks Demon
  • Wraith
  • Rourke
Music:
Main Theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nW2mi3Fpdo&feature=youtu.be
Fighting Force https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztto0k5DcZA&feature=youtu.be
Tension Building https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Usc1l1mCkM&feature=youtu.be
Flying Solo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN1KOdWYzDk&feature=youtu.be
Menu Theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8mJhbwxghI&feature=youtu.be

Character Selection SFX
Object Possess https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxbd59fsnhg&feature=youtu.be

Potential Intro:
Luigi is sneaking through a haunted house with his Poltergust, at the same time Pac-Man is gobbling up pellets and ghosts. The two of them converge, but in the middle of them is the spirit of Raimi who gives them a frightening face and howl. Pac-Man and Luigi are thrown backwards.

The two of them look up to see the ghost slip into the body of a human (the human's back is turned to them. The human turns around to reveal himself to be John Raimi. Raimi brings his hand to his ear as if receiving a message, gives a hand signal that him and his friend Bryson do, and his spirit pops out on top. The still image of Raimi and his spirit-self appears with the tag-line: Raimi Spooks the Competition!

(Thanks to evilwaluigi@deviantart, and Bluesorrow for some ideas/reminders!)

List of supporters:
  • 8-peacock-8
  • Azure Warrior
  • deuxhero
  • SSBCandidates
  • BlueSorrow
  • NonSpecificGuy
  • BluePikmin11
  • Davidcreamcatcha
  • Elite Gaymer
  • Tornado_Man
  • Sobreviviente
  • POKEMANSPIKA
  • GoldenYuiitusin
  • smashkirby
  • Stormy Rain
  • PreedReve
  • Cobalsh
  • LEGOfan12
  • MacDaddyNook
  • E-Mann
  • A special "thank you" to all the supporters and to POKEMANSPIKA and NonSpecificGuy for helping the thread become open once again. :)

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I actually kind of liked his game.

Although, The protagonist from Eternal Darkness would be a better choice for a M rated Nintendo star. (I want to use both though :()

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
It's not a bad game, I agree. I found I had a lot of fun with it, but there were some drawbacks. As a Nintendo fan, I've always lamented the fact that we haven't had a marquee first-person title since the N64 (excluding Metroid Prime); Microsoft has Halo, and Sony has KillZone. I remember thinking Geist would be that fit for the GameCube, but instead it went the more exploratory/adventure route, and of course suspect controls hampered that dream.

Geist could be a franchise with a lot of potential if they focused more on action (that is, of course, if Nintendo were ever to bring it back--which seems doubtful). There was a lot to like.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Although, The protagonist from Eternal Darkness would be a better choice for a M rated Nintendo star. (I want to use both though :()
What about Frey/Freja from Zangeki no Reginleiv (First D rated Nintendo game)?

And I'd love all three to join the fray.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
What about Frey/Freja from Zangeki no Reginleiv (First D rated Nintendo game)?

And I'd love all three to join the fray.
Nintendo should really bring in their darker franchises.

Just to show that they have a history with darker games.

deuxhero

Smash Journeyman

Ai. I'd take Alex over Raimi, but I wouldn't mind seeing Raimi.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I am in for John to be in the game. Of course he has 2 things against:

-He is a western character, so Japan might not care for him
-He is from Nintendo's other M rated game, and ED is way more popular than Geist.

Though I am really in for Nintendo to use some western characters, which are quite few lol.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I am in for John to be in the game. Of course he has 2 things against:

-He is a western character, so Japan might not care for him
-He is from Nintendo's other M rated game, and ED is way more popular than Geist.

Though I am really in for Nintendo to use some western characters, which are quite few lol.
Oh no, not something rated alongside Other M!

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
lol not sure if that was a joke. Well if John or Alexandra or Pious or someone else from an M rated game get in, I can imagine them being toned down. From those three mentioned, Alexandra would be the one who wouldn't get much toned, John a bit while Pious is the one to get a major tone down in order to fit.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
If that was a joke, then it is saying another game is garbage. Because other m was the worst metroid hands down and was a disgrace to the series. It's only positive was it allowed the bosses to expand beyond 2D moves, excluding the primes. I mean Ridley fought like a freaking airborne chuck norris

:phone:

BlueSorrow

Smash Apprentice
This thread needs more attention and support:
I found more ideas to add to the OP but it's not my work so don't credit me for it.
http://evilwaluigi.deviantart.com/art/NEWCOMER-JOHN-RAIMI-262989884

SPECIAL MOVES==============================

B – ETHEREAL BLAST –
Raimi will fire ball of magenta colored energy from his chest and can fire up to three of these in a rapid succession.
DMG: 14% (per blast)
Side B – POSSESS – Raimi will glide quickly forward turning into balls of light this move deals a small amount of DMG but is also great for dodging as Raimi is invincible while in the form of the energy balls- timing will have to be perfected however. this move allows Raimi to Possess either an object or another player. duration of the possession depends on their "aura" all objects have a default aura of red. and will allow Raimi to possess them for however long. while Possessed Raimi will have complete control over the object/person until Raimi is kicked out of the object/person. (example possessing a crate will allow Raimi to move side to side as the crate(if it is on wheels) and by pressing the 'A' button would perform the objects ability for crates it would be break or explode. obviously if in possession of another character Raimi would have full access to their abilities.
DMG: 10%
Down B - SCARE - The scare ability will help Raimi better Possess others by changing their Aura colors. by default all characters have a White Aura if Raimi were to Possess someone with a white Aura it would only be for a few short lived seconds but if Raimi were to scare an opponent from white to yellow to red the time he could spend in that host would extend greatly. characters who have been scared will eventually get over the scare allowing their aura to drop back into the yellow then eventually the white. scaring opponents barely deals DMG but its almost worth it to see what kind of scares Raimi has up his ghostly sleeves.
DMG: 2%
Up B - SLIP THROUGH - Raimi will spin into several little balls of light and squeeze himself into the sky holding down the b button will allow Raimi to ascend and continue to fly but will eventually tire and begin to fall back down. while as balls of light this move can cause DMG racking up DMG as the energy balls swirl into the sky.
DMG: 13%-20%
Final Smash – SPECTRAL OPERATIVES - Raimi's Body appears and then collapses to the ground. over the still body looms teh Wraith's silhouette it quickly skitters around the stage causing everyone's aura to become red then enters Raimi's Body again taps a few commands into his arm computer and then uses his boost to escape 4 spectral operatives appear from the stage and begin to possess the other players causing them to fight among each other and even attempt to have them throw themselves off teh stage players may resist by button mashing success in exorcizing the operative will reduce your aura level by one level by not get rid of the operatives eventually the FS time will be up and the Operatives will exit any body they are in and wink out of existence.
DMG: N/A
Kirby Hat - Kirby becomes as spectral looking as Raimi and almost transparent except or his shoes. he also gains the Ethereal Blast ability.

TAUNTS===================================

Taunt 1 –
Gigi will appear from behind Raimi and circle him giggling before vanishing.
Taunt 2 – Raimi will burst int light and into little balls of energy that will swirl in place eventually Raimi's form fades back.
Taunt 3 – Three balls of light will swirl around Raimi before vanishing

SNAKE'S CODEC FOR JOHN RAIMI====================
CODEC CHANNEL: 140.96

MEI LING: Snake watch out there seems to be a spectral operative nearby!
SNAKE: There it is I can see it!
MEI LING: That's terrific! don't loose sight of it Snake it could possess you!
SNAKE: There it is!
MEI LING: OH! ... is that?
SNAKE: Hum?
MEI LING: Snake it appears that is John Raimi. a scientist and member of CR-2.
SNAKE: What's a scientist doing on the battlefield?
MEI LING: It says here Raimi was caught up in an incident code named Project-Z data is scarce but it seems like he is able to detach himself from his body now and is able to possess objects and people as long as they're are scared.
SNAKE: so now the good Doctor is playing ghost?
MEI LING: I guess so, as long as he doesn't scare you and you keep track of him you should be able to overcome this Snake!
SNAKE: Got it.
MEI LING: Remember Snake: "No one is more afraid of ghosts than those that don't believe in them."

TROPHIES AFFILIATED WITH JOHN RAIMI===============
1 – John Raimi
2 – Spectreal Operatives (Final Smash)
3 – Thomas Bryson
4 – Gigi Volks
5 – Alexander Volks
6 – Rourke
7 – Anna
8 – Phantom
9 – Wraith
10 – Volks Demon
STAGE=====================================

THE SPIRIT WORLD

The stage pans around the Volks Demon who hovers in the Background. the battle is fought on a series of silver energy from the background the Volks Demon will unleash waves of energy that swirl around him indicated by the rings blinking, sometimes its just one ring that fly's towards the battle but the demon can fire up to three at a time! if a ring hits a player they will receive heavy DMG and knock back so watch out for those! the demon will also eventually fade out of existence revealing a heart like organ protected by four panel like objects that will fire out energy at targets this will also deal great DMG to anyone who is hit by them. the demon eventually comes back and the rings circle him again.

1 - Main Theme - Geist (Gamecube) -
[link]
2 - Fighting Firce - Geist (Gamecube) -
[link]
3 - Tension Beyond - Geist (Gamecube)
[link]
4 - Flying Solo - Geist (Gamecube) -
[link]
5 - Menu Theme - Geist (Gamecube) -
[link]

SIDE NOTES=================================

ENTRANCE -
a plant shrivels up and dies as Raimi's figure flickers into being over the fading plant.

Victory Music -
N/A

WII-MOTE SFX -
SFX of an object being Possessed (0:05-0:07)
[link]

COLORS=====================================
Colors:
BLUE - Spirit Blue (Deafult/ Blue Team)
RED - Operative Red (Red Team)
GREEN - Haunting Green (Green Team)
YELLOW - Phantom Yellow
BLACK - Wraith Black
PURPLE - Poltergeist Purple

STATS=====================================

WEIGHT:
Light
SPEED: Below Average
JUMP: Average

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the support, BlueSorrow.
I remember seeing those ideas a while back. Although I prefer to alternate between the physical and spiritual form for the playable Raimi, I can tell whoever wrote that is a real fan of the game; I love his "Kirby hat" idea!

It's been a while since I made this thread; I was thinking about changing around a few things in the original post.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'll support I loved the game but never expected to see someone actually post this this is incredible.
John Raimi for Smash Bros.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
I was really hoping Geist would become a series solely for this possibility. The idea of a character who can possess others is something I've always wanted to see in Smash. Imagine taking over Snake and setting off his mines! Take over Kirby and taunt! Make Olimar throw his own pikmin offstage, force a transformation on Zelda, waste Wario's waft and DK's punch...there's too much potential here and this is really the only Nintendo character who can do this without making it look ridiculous.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
I just want one of nintendos M rated series to get a playable character. I don't care if it's gheist, eternal darkness or that Japanese m rated game. I just want them to have a playable character to show Nintendo has darker series.

So I naturally support any m rated Nintendo characters :)

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Here's a proposed set - I like the basic ideas on the one listed in the OP, but I can't help but feel the possession should be more than a final smash due to how integral it is to Geist's gameplay and Raimi's character. That and Raimi should constantly in spirit form as it's how he's seen for 90% of Geist.

He has a very unique moveset and is a very tricky character to master. He's very floaty and has decent speed, but has a very light weight which doesn't work all that well in your favor when your nspec is reliant on you staying alive as long as possible.

Neutral Special: This is a stunner like Mewtwo's side special, with the added benefit that it builds power by how long you go without using it similar to Wario's Waft. It causes Raimi to cry out "Boo!", using it with no time simply causes a foe to be stunned in place like said side special - but going some time without using it will cause Raimi to possess the foe. Which basically means that you can control/attack for them for a limited time. The only move of theres you can't use is the neutral special, which now causes Raimi to leave the body early. The foe can buttonmash out of this like grabs to escape early, but it gets more and more difficult as their percent rises and even more difficult if Raimi has been holding this off for a long period.

Up Special: This is a rather generic recovery like Lucario's as Raimi simply rises upwards and can curve back to the stage. This needs to be a potent recovery given how viable just possessing and bringing them off the stage with your nspec is. Yes, Raimi would be able to recover if he repossesses in midair.

Down Special: Raimi sinks into the ground and can choose where to pop up much like Meta Knight. However, a shadow on the ground always reveals where he's going to appear and you can travel longer distance - more importantly, you can slink under items in order to possess them. Which basically means that you can throw them in any given direction, but having the foe pick it up at all will cause you to automatically depossess.

You can even possess summons (minions such as Waddle Dees, Assist Trophies, Pokeballs) to perform basic attacks or other screwy effects (choosing the Tingle effect, changing the text speed/quickly scrolling through Resetti's dialogue, choosing the direction the Devil points, etc). Getting attacked at all in these forms will cause you to leave early. Perform Down Special to exit the chosen object early.

Side Special: The projectile from the final boss - yes, I know this was listed as a final smash in the OP, but it doesn't seem like one to me. He shoots the ethereal blasts forward, which act as stunning projectiles like Falco's. This is mainly useful because it allows you to get in their face and land your nspec.
I can expand this into a full set if there's interest.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Here's a proposed set - I like the basic ideas on the one listed in the OP, but I can't help but feel the possession should be more than a final smash due to how integral it is to Geist's gameplay and Raimi's character. That and Raimi should constantly in spirit form as it's how he's seen for 90% of Geist.

He has a very unique moveset and is a very tricky character to master. He's very floaty and has decent speed, but has a very light weight which doesn't work all that well in your favor when your nspec is reliant on you staying alive as long as possible.

Oh there's Interest.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
. . . I can't help but feel the possession should be more than a final smash due to how integral it is to Geist's gameplay and Raimi's character. That and Raimi should constantly in spirit form as it's how he's seen for 90% of Geist.
That is a good point--he was out of his body for the majority of the game. I thought about this, but wanted Raimi's corporal-self in the fray as the player would be able to visualize his abilities, and that I thought it might pose a conundrum to fight a spirit with little-to-no physical mass.
The foe can buttonmash out of this like grabs to escape early, but it gets more and more difficult as their percent rises and even more difficult if Raimi has been holding this off for a long period.
Not a bad idea--it would be a lot like the host vs ghost multiplayer aspect in the original game.
I wouldn't mind taking a look.

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Oh man. Geist, that game is really good. My friends and I have spent countless hours on the multiplayer mode. I'd be really interested to see Raimi in Smash, he's got potential. That's for sure. It'd make sense for him to fight in his human form, but his final smash could have him turn into his ghost form and try to possess characters, giving the player control of them and making them walk off the stage or something.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
My friends and I have spent countless hours on the multiplayer mode.
The multiplayer mode was vastly overlooked (well, probably the whole game). It had a lot of creative ideas (Capture the Host, Ghost vs. Host), and I was thankful for bots in a era which Nintendo had not yet embraced online gaming.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
The multiplayer mode was vastly overlooked (well, probably the whole game). It had a lot of creative ideas (Capture the Host, Ghost vs. Host), and I was thankful for bots in a era which Nintendo had not yet embraced online gaming.
I really hope Nintendo hasn't forgotten about Geist, a new game would be awesome. Though, seeing as how they don't even seem to remember a game for Star Fox or F-Zero is well overdue, Geist seems gone for good at the current moment. :c

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Didnt knew geist was a nintendo game, nice.
I support, i guess i have to try this game now.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well, son-of-a-*****, you went and did it...

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Now we just need to gain support for him. A lot of support...

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Now we just need to gain support for him. A lot of support...
Yep, enough to interest Sakurai. Little Mac did it, so can we. Even if that chance of happening is very small. btw I was looking at the moveset above to find something to discuss and I don't particularly like the idea of possessing items (I know its Raimi's thing). It just seems weird. Also Wonks idea of Raimi, is that Raimi would be in his physical form and could go to his specter form. I personally prefer a full out specter form.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I would like for him to use his human form for his Normal and Smash attacks. It would just seem odd for me to see a literal ghost being able to punch and kick people. Maybe it's just me. :p

D

Deleted member

I blame @ NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy for getting me hyped up about the idea again when I know full well it won't happen.....

Though I recently learned something interesting.
Apparently Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare for the DS has credits data for "Geist DS", implying that n-Space was working on a port of the Gamecube game or a sequel at some point.
Here is the information on The Cutting Room Floor (direct link doesn't work due to parenthesis).

Last edited by a moderator:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I blame @ NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy for getting me hyped up about the idea again when I know full well it won't happen.....

Though I recently learned something interesting.
Apparently Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare for the DS has credits data for "Geist DS", implying that n-Space was working on a port of the Gamecube game or a sequel at some point.
Here is the information on The Cutting Room Floor (direct link doesn't work due to parenthesis).
That might be interesting. Either Nintendo hasn't 100% forgotten about this series, or its just some weird thing in the game files lol.

D

Deleted member

That might be interesting. Either Nintendo hasn't 100% forgotten about this series, or its just some weird thing in the game files lol.
Well, n-Space developed both Geist and the CoD4 DS game. And seeing as the latter was just two years after Geist's release (2007), the concept of a DS Geist is likely to have been "while the iron is hot" so to speak.

It holds no bearing on whether or not Nintendo "remembers" the series now, over 7 years later.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Well, n-Space developed both Geist and the CoD4 DS game. And seeing as the latter was just two years after Geist's release (2007), the concept of a DS Geist is likely to have been "while the iron is hot" so to speak.

It holds no bearing on whether or not Nintendo "remembers" the series now, over 7 years later.
Yeah, I guess. DS Geist might've been pretty cool.

Top Bottom