• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Team scoring system for interstate/international tournaments.

Happy Pit

Smash Cadet
I believe this scoring system would help the smash community grow.

this is the way it would work......

Each player gets points for their team/state depending on how they place in the tournament.
1st place=1 point
2nd place= 2 points
50th place =50 points ect.

the team with the least points would win.

the teams can be as big as the turnout for each state but the number of players that would actually score points would be limited.
i think that top five in each team should be scored.
example:
Texas player A= 1st place
Texas player B=3rd place
Texas player c = 7th place
Texas player D= 9th place
Texas player E= 13the place

total= 33 points

Cali player A= 2nd place
Cali player B= 4th place
Cali player C= 5th place
Cali player D= 7th place
Cali player E= 9th place

total= 27 points

As you can see in this example, a Texas player won the tournament individually but the california team won in overall points.

if there is a tie in points, the 6th placing players in each team would be scored. the team with the highest placing 6th player would win and/or/ up for debate, the 5th placing players on each team would play a tie breaker set, best 2 out of 3.

Another option, contributed by DoH, is to invert the scoring so if a player would get first in a 32 man tournament, he would score 32 points for his team. I like this idea better because instead of meeting the minimum requirement of 5 amount of players, smaller crews can still be represented by just having one of their team members in attendance. There would still be a maximum of 5 players that actually score points for the team.

This system requires a little bit of math to get the points right.
Get the number for your placing, subtract one from that number, subtract this new number from the number of entrants and that is your score.

Ex 1. 1st place. 1-1= 0
32 entrants. 32-0= 32. Total points= 32

Ex 2. 11th place. 11-1= 10
40 entrants. 40-11= 30 Total points= 30

In this case, a tie breaker would be settled with a 1v1 between players from the two top teams.

the first scoring system is used in cross country races an the second is used in NASCAR races. They are used to promote the importance of teams. Racing, like individual gaming, is widely considered an individual sport/event. but with this scoring system, the less experienced players will also have a part to play in helping to represent their state. i believe this would generate enthusiasm and hype for smashers everywhere because most players dont win tournaments on a regular basis. this will also improve our sense of community and help us grow.

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
Not a bad system, but the established (and more exciting) way to have competition between regions is through crew battles, which are usually 5v5.

Happy Pit

Smash Cadet
True, but there are problems with crew battles. They can be time consuming and doin them can be a challenge. Lack of time or the top 5 players in each crew may stop them from ever happening. They are also completely independent from the tournament and are not included with the tournament results. They also have a set number of entrants which neglects the other player in each crew. With the scoring system listed above, even the 10th best player in a crew has a chance to place high and score some points for the team. Even if you are not in the top 5 of your team, you can still help by placing higher than players from the other crew. So you see, this system is a lot more inclusive and engages all players, not just the best.

I strongly believe that turnout for tournaments and interest in the game would increase exponentially if this system was implemented into tournament play.

:phone:

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
But then hungrybox is the only Floridian to show up and wins the tournament and then Florida wins that too. The points should be inverted; if you win a 32 man bracket you get 32 points and the team with the most points wins.

Happy Pit

Smash Cadet
The original system that I posted above requires a minimum amount of players and no maximum. so each team would need x amount of players to be part of the team competition. But the method that you are referring to works just as well. It is used in NASCAR. This method has a minimum of 1 player and no maximum. (the max scoring players are still 5)

This way a small crew coul still represent their region.

Thank you, I will add this to the origional post.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Didn't read the whole thing so forgive me if you've already written something out in response to what I'm about to say, but

It's an inherently flawed system because realistically the difference between 5th and 7th, or between 13th and 17th, or between 33rd and 49th (assuming standard double elimination brackets) are all the same (ie the person with the better placing beat won 1 more set than the other person) but by your point system, the differences between 5th and 7th is a 2-point difference, and the difference between 33rd and 49th is a 16-point difference; 8 times worse by your system, same thing in reality lol.

Happy Pit

Smash Cadet
What you say is true, we cannot make everybody play tie breakers to assign one placing for each player. That is why you see such number gaps. But everyone will be playing by the same scoring system so it would still be even grounds for everyone. Placing low would be as bad for one team as it would be for another.

I believe that you are saying that scores should be dictated order in which places are available? This could work but it would be more difficult to keep track of because the relationship between place and score is neither directly or inversely related.

Top Bottom