• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK's back! W-Wait! That's not him! He's gone 8-bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigglover

Smash Lord

I've actually seen quite a bit of popularity going for cranky kong, and I sort of like the idea as well, but while the older cranky kong would rely on concoctions, the young cranky is a lot more physical. You can't say that donkey kong Sr. can't fit into smash, he's practically a simpler, 8-bit version of Donkey kong. Despite this, nintendo would have to be trying to make him a clone, since he quite obviously isn't one. If you have any doubts of how he could fit into smash, take a look at this
s:

Here is a move-set which Cider created completely on his own. "Cranky Kong"/DK Sr. Hide

Donkey Kong Sr. (Cranky Kong)

Entrance:
Old Cranky Kong is sitting in his rocking chair rocking slowly. He takes out a potion out of nowhere and drinks it, causing him to break his chair and grow back to his younger form. He ends his entrance with flexing his arms, showing how strong he is now.*

Specials:

Neutral B: Bee Hive:

Cranky pulls out his jar from the DK3 box art and shoots out a cloud of bees like a cannonball. The longer you charge it the more bees come out that make up the cloud's size. The types of bees range from how long you charge the jar. The longer the charge the faster the bees' approach you.

Weak Bees/No charge- Beespys

Medium/Half charge- Beebomb

Strongest/Full charge- Buzzbees

Side B: Barrel Toss:

Throws a barrel at you and rolls at a fast pace. If you shield one from hitting you then it breaks on contact. Cranky's allowed to have 2 out at once. When holding side B you can carry a barrel in your hand, you can place one by throwing one on the ground. The barrels will start to disappear in 10 seconds.

Down B: Oil Drum:

Cranky places an oil drum on the ground. The oil drum works like an exploding crate. After 2 seconds an oil/fire ball will come out of the oil drum and follow the opponent at a slow speed. If you shield a fire ball it will disappear. After a while the oil drum will explode, but can also explode if you throw an opponent at it.

Up B: Spring:

Cranky's spring would work like sonic's recovery except you can decide which direction you can use it like Fox's recovery. His recovery would send you high in the air like how it does in brawl. Cranky can be lighter then DK. Which would give him more mobility in the air and could help out with recovering horizontally. If he use's his recovery on the ground the spring will stay in place but it'll bounce you away depending on the direction it's placed.

Forward Smash: DK's Fsmash from smash 64, as quick as Marth's Fsmash.

Up Smash: Balances on one hand and kicks upwards with both feet. To show off his new youth.

Dash Attack: Cranky Rolls on the ground once at you.

Down Smash: Hammer Sweep:

Cranky does two quick spins with the Hammer from the Donkey Kong games. A bit similar to D3's Dsmash but repeats it twice and it's slightly quicker than D3's.

I wanted his move set to be made up of items he uses from the Donkey Kong series.

Palette swaps courtesy of Venus:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@jigglover: You may want to set up the primary post soon, as it's clearly not in a good position right now.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Here's my move set:

[COLLAPSE= "Cranky Kong"/DK Sr.]

Entrance:
Old Cranky Kong is sitting in his rocking chair rocking slowly. He takes out a potion out of nowhere and drinks it, causing him to break his chair and grow back to his younger form. He ends his entrance with flexing his arms, showing how strong he is now.

Specials:

Cranky pulls out his jar from the DK3 box art and shoots out a cloud of bees like a cannonball. The longer you charge it the more bees come out that make up the cloud's size. The types of bees range from how long you charge the jar. The longer the charge the faster the bees' approach you.

Throws a barrel at you and rolls at a fast pace. If you shield one from hitting you then it breaks on contact. Cranky's allowed to have 2 out at once. When holding side B you can carry a barrel in your hand, you can place one by throwing one on the ground. The barrels will start to disappear in 10 seconds.

Cranky places an oil drum on the ground. The oil drum works like an exploding crate. After 2 seconds an oil/fire ball will come out of the oil drum and follow the opponent at a slow speed. If you shield a fire ball it will disappear. After a while the oil drum will explode, but can also explode if you throw an opponent at it.

Up B: Spring:

Cranky's spring would work like sonic's recovery except you can decide which direction you can use it like Fox's recovery. His recovery would send you high in the air like how it does in brawl. Cranky can be lighter then DK. Which would give him more mobility in the air and could help out with recovering horizontally. If he use's his recovery on the ground the spring will stay in place but it'll bounce you away depending on the direction it's placed.

Up Smash: Balances on one hand and kicks upwards with both feet. To show off his new youth.

Cranky does two quick spins with the Hammer from the Donkey Kong games. A bit similar to D3's Dsmash but repeats it twice and it's slightly quicker than D3's.

I wanted his move set to be made up of items he uses from the Donkey Kong series. I'll post recolors of Cranky later and add on more to this move set.
[/COLLAPSE]

:phone:

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
Ahh this is such a great idea. I would totally love to see cranky make an appearance.

Robotic Wind

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grey Walrus
I think this is an awesome idea.

My question is how would he look different then DK?

I guess the obvious one is 8 bit but if not maybe no tie and a cane

also if there is a story mode then it could show Cranky contracting E Gadd to create the forumla and basicly show Cranky transforming and the character's origin.

I really like the moseset idea and DK sr acting cocky due to his new youth.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Here's my move set:

[COLLAPSE= "Cranky Kong"/DK Sr.]

Entrance:
Old Cranky Kong is sitting in his rocking chair rocking slowly. He takes out a potion out of nowhere and drinks it, causing him to break his chair and grow back to his younger form. He ends his entrance with flexing his arms, showing how strong he is now.

Specials:

Down B: Spring:

I wanted his move set to be made up of items he uses from the Donkey Kong series. I'll post recolors of Cranky later and add on more to this move set.
[/COLLAPSE]

You have 2 down b's.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
^ Fixed.

@ Robotic Wind:

Well Cranky's 8-bit color palette is different from DK's so I guess Cranky can use it. Also I thought about his stage entrance a bit, and what if he still wore part of his shirt? From growing big it can appear really torn up to the point where it look's like a dark brown worn out bandana around his neck. I'm going to update my move set tomorrow with 2 or more of his moves using the cane.

Robotic Wind

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grey Walrus
^ ^ ^
Sounds awesome!

Honestly I'm leaning towards realizing how awesome this character could be but chances of him being in it is so slim speculation is all we can do but nevertheless thats awesome within its self

jigglover

Smash Lord
@Cider, I'm struggling to create a whole move-set from scratch with this guy, so could I borrow yours? I'll make sure it's clear that it's yours in the OP.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
@Cider, I'm struggling to create a whole move-set from scratch with this guy, so could I borrow yours? I'll make sure it's clear that it's yours in the OP.
Sure thing jigglover.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Uh..maybe you should include the pictures I've had with the move sets. It would give people a better idea of how Cranky Kong's moves would look like.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Part bump, part alert that I updated the OP with palette swaps, courtesy of venus.
I've also just thought of something, since it is quite unlikely that this awesome idea is getting in as a playable character, how about an alternate costume for DK? If he is, then he could (kind of) get in, just with a move-set that makes no sense for him! :D

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
100% Support. I'm normally no DK or any other simian fan, but I've never liked that Rare tweaked the DK history for their game. Original DK all the way!

HeroG

Smash Apprentice
We are lacking any purely retro characters, so sure, why not=???

He's classic, cool, and he ain't no fool.
*Cough Cough* :gw::pit::rob::popo::drmario::ness: *cough cough* And if you mean 8- bit :gawmelee: is less then 8-bit he is like 1-bit.

Last edited:

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
Personally, I'd prefer to see Classic DK represented as a final smash for Cranky himself if he were to make an appearance.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
That would be lovely, I just can't imagine him wanting to change back into the form of an old monkey once he's transformed, however. Maybe a final-smash style transformation mapped to his down special and it makes up for his weight and slow speed. Drink a potion to morph into the classic DK for a few seconds?

It'd be especially cool if once he pulls that off, the DK opening jingle plays before he starts attacking.

Morbi

Scavenger
I thought this thread had something to do with the Little Mac versus Donkey Kong for some reason... and then I saw the date. Anyways, he could always be an alternative costume. :troll:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
That game retired him. :smirk:
re·tire
verb\ri-ˈtī(-ə)r\

: To stop a job or career because you have reached the age when you are not allowed to work anymore or do not need or want to work anymore.

This does not apply to Cranky Kong.

Last edited:

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Not really sure what to make of this, I don't know if this would be a good idea or not, but my gut tells me "NO!" cause' he might get in the way of my beloved K. Rool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom