• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cranky Kong: you're only reading this title cause you're bored

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
it might not make much sense to have an old guy in a fighting game but what the heck, who else is up for cranky knog in ssb4?

i think he could work obviously he uses his walking stick for his a moves and he's got plenty of taunts

special moves idea: work in progress (b side provided by Opossum)

b: potion, crank throws a potion witch has a random elemental effect like fire, ice, electric
b up: cane bounce, from DKCTF. when used the ground he bounces around of damaging foes he lands, when used air bounces straight up
b down: barrel throw, in reference to the fact that he is the original dk, he rolls a barrel across the stage damaging characters on contact (obviously it is not as powerful as the barrel items)
b side: Squawks, Cranky would let go of Squawks, and he'd fly around. The control stick guides his flight. If you let Squawks hit the foe, he latches on, letting Cranky move again. While attached, Squawks would continuously peck the foe, doing small damage (5% per hit) every 1.5 seconds and slow them down. Squawks can be removed by the foe by using many attacks or moving the control stick back and forth at a rapid pace, at which time he flies back to Cranky.

basic combo: basic swipes of the cane
strong side: jab with cane
strong up: upwards jab
strong down: low jab

side smash: swings double walking sticks
up smash: overhead walking stick pincer
down smash: thrusts both walking sticks in opposite directions

neutral air:
forward air:
back air:
up air:
down air:

dash:

pummel: whacks on head with cane
forward throw:
back throw:
up throw:
down throw:

final smash: super potion, cranky drinks a potion that makes him more powerful for a small amount of time (like warioman)

support icon

supportes:
fogbadge
afrodude
bkupa666
sobreviviente
bluepikmin11
ryan
goldenyuiitusin
spinosaurus
andimidna
zigzargar
teengirlsquad
buci01
~valkyrie~

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If you want a new Side B, how about Squawks? Cranky would let go of Squawks, and he'd fly around. The control stick guides his flight. If you let Squawks hit the foe, he latches on, letting Cranky move again. While attached, Squawks would continuously peck the foe, doing small damage (5% per hit) every 1.5 seconds and slow them down. Squawks can be removed by the foe by using many attacks or moving the control stick back and forth at a rapid pace, at which time he flies back to Cranky.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If you want a new Side B, how about Squawks? Cranky would let go of Squawks, and he'd fly around. The control stick guides his flight. If you let Squawks hit the foe, he latches on, letting Cranky move again. While attached, Squawks would continuously peck the foe, doing small damage (5% per hit) every 1.5 seconds and slow them down. Squawks can be removed by the foe by using many attacks or moving the control stick back and forth at a rapid pace, at which time he flies back to Cranky.
thats not bad mind if i use it

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
You've beat me to it fogbadge. I was planning on making a Cranky Kong thread, but since there's two already then I should just contribute to one of them.

[COLLAPSE= "Cranky Kong"/DK Sr.]

Donkey Kong Sr. (Cranky Kong)

Entrance:
Old Cranky Kong is sitting in his rocking chair rocking slowly. He takes out a potion out of nowhere and drinks it, causing him to break his chair and grow back to his younger form. He ends his entrance with flexing his arms, showing how strong he is now.

Specials:

Neutral B: Bee Hive:

Cranky pulls out his jar from the DK3 box art and shoots out a cloud of bees like a cannonball. The longer you charge it the more bees come out that make up the cloud's size. The types of bees range from how long you charge the jar. The longer the charge the faster the bees' approach you.

Weak Bees/No charge- Beespys
Medium/Half charge- Beebomb
Strongest/Full charge- Buzzbees

Side B: Barrel Toss:

Throws a barrel at you and rolls at a fast pace. If you shield one from hitting you then it breaks on contact. Cranky's allowed to have 2 out at once. When holding side B you can carry a barrel in your hand, you can place one by throwing one on the ground. The barrels will start to disappear in 10 seconds.

Down B: Oil Drum:

Cranky places an oil drum on the ground. The oil drum works like an exploding crate. After 2 seconds an oil/fire ball will come out of the oil drum and follow the opponent at a slow speed. If you shield a fire ball it will disappear. After a while the oil drum will explode, but can also explode if you throw an opponent at it.

Down B: Spring:

Cranky's spring would work like sonic's recovery except you can decide which direction you can use it like Fox's recovery. His recovery would send you high in the air like how it does in brawl. Cranky can be lighter then DK. Which would give him more mobility in the air and could help out with recovering horizontally. If he use's his recovery on the ground the spring will stay in place but it'll bounce you away depending on the direction it's placed.

Forward Smash: DK's Fsmash from smash 64.

Up Smash: Balances on one hand and kicks upwards with both feet. To show off his new youth.

Down Smash: Hammer:

Dash Attack: Cranky Rolls on the ground once at you.

Cranky does a quick spin with the Hammer from the Donkey Kong games, rather then using it as long as the Hammer item.

I wanted his move set to be made up of items he uses from the Donkey Kong series. I'll post recolors of Cranky later and add on more to this move set. I don't know if he should be 2-D or 3-D.
[/COLLAPSE]

:phone:

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
here's an up-b switch if you want to use it

cane copter: cranky swings his cane in a direction and goes that way, if the cane hits a player, it does damage per hit,

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I support Cranky as the fourth DK rep, but please, for his sake, don't give him Animal Buddies in his moveset. He'd find it insulting to his physical prowess!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I figured Squawks could be used because of him selling him to you in DKCR. It kinda fits...he's a senile old man, so of course he'd carry around a parrot for company. No one else would talk to him...:troll:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You forgot Cranky has the ability to transform into ethereal form with the power of the crystal coconut

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sort of

He has that ability in the DKC television series

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I doubt Cranky is getting in the game

But if pokemon can have moves inspired from the tv series, I don't see why DKC can't

pokémoneinstein

Smash Cadet
Cranky as a fighter? Oh God, please, no. He is, however, my most-wanted Assist Trophy.

He'd pop up in corners of the screen similar to the way he comes up shaking his cane in the DKC intro, and he'd have a Mr. Resetti sort of effect. He'd spend all his time yapping about why video games these days are terrible, and how the classic games are so much better. For a better sense of how he would do this, think of the DKC instruction manual, or the Cranky's Cabin area from the original game, and apply his sort of griping to modern gaming's situation, like processing power, the FPS genre, etc. I'm sure he could throw in a few asymetric gameplay mentions. Overall, I think it'd be great.

D

Deleted member

As much as Cranky honestly deserves it more than Dixie (which would be even if he wasn't the 4th character in Tropical Freeze), we'll see Dixie before we'll see Cranky.
And even then, there's still the matter of K. Rool.
Cranky will have to wait until the next new game.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I totally called a bump for this thread.
But I think Cranky is like Rosalina: Too little too late.
But I would have loved a Scooge McDuck styled Cranky Kong, pogo cane and all.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Even though it's expected under the circumstances, feels kinda odd how Rosalina and Cranky of all characters are lumped together now, and I thought Toad and Ridley being lumped was strange at first.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Roselina and Cranky are not going to be on the roster.

Also lumping Toad and Ridley into the situation was ********. Apparently Toad is confirmed for playable but Ridley is regulated to the sidelines, even though it should be more so the reverse case?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Even though it's expected under the circumstances, feels kinda odd how Rosalina and Cranky of all characters are lumped together now, and I thought Toad and Ridley being lumped was strange at first.
And yet the odd part of this dilemma is that I've portrayed Cranky as an Assist Trophy, while Rosalina gets the playable treatment, though this is a long stretch.

Anyway, if anyone is going to make mockery statements towards today's video games, leave it all to Cranky Kong.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why is this thread bumped and not the better version?

Top Bottom