• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The friendly dinosaur, all alone. Yoshi character discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigglover

Smash Lord
With the fourth smash game quickly approaching, there are only 2 series' from the first game to still be of a stand-alone character. F-zero and Yoshi. It is extremely likely thhat F-zero will get another representative in this game, due to it being a series that Sakurai recognises and respects well, but the little green (blue/pink/red/yellow/white/black/light blue/orange/every other colour imaginable) dinosaur is left out of almost every discussion. Well, the buck stops here! I will list the three main Yoshi representatives move-sets (later) and reasons why they should(n't) be in and possible arguments and counter-arguments. I will keep adding details to these characters as I find them and the time to put them on here.
If you can think of any more good, solid Yoshi characters (and a support thread for them) and put them in a reply of your's, then I'll probably add it to the OP as long as the support thread is legit.

Kamek:

In a lot of eyes the best Yoshi character to be in this game, and I can see why, the other characters are very good as well, but Kamek does cut away from the bunch. The problem is, is that in theory the character is good, but we've never seen Kamek grab anything, I think the first time he was off his broom-stick was in Mario party 9, so I think that Sakurai and co. would have to work a little harder to get Kamek into the game.
Arguments:
"But Kamek would be a Mario rep, not a Yoshi, he's in Mario games!"
A few of the games that Kamek is in in the mario series are merely cameos, and/or unidentified between Kamek and a regular magikoopa (such as super mario galaxy). In the Yoshi series he plays a major or most important role.

"I know! But he's been in more mario games than Yoshi games!"
So has Yoshi, DK and Wario, Yoshi being the main one in this thread.

"Kamek isn't the main villain in the Yoshi series! Therefore he is redundant!"
The following statement is from the super mario wiki:
He is the main villain of the Yoshi series.

This is a palette swap for Kamek, created by splat.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Baby bros.:

I think that it's a tie between these two, and the final contender, but I put these first because I have lots of arguments and counter-arguments for them!
Baby bros, if you don't know already, would be an ice-climbers style (before you start it is the first counter-argument) character consisting of baby Mario and baby Luigi. These characters would be good, since while they are essentially mario series characters, they appear in plenty of spin-off games in the mario series, so could represent that side of the mario series as well. (I know that Waluigi and Daisy are for that, but these guy kill two birds with one stone, those two miss the birds).
Arguments:
"Ice climbers are unique. We don't want to ruin that!"

I don't think Nintendo cares about that, I mean take these guys!
Ness Lucas
Captain Falcon Ganondorf
Kirby King Dedede
Pikachu Pichu
Mewtwo Lucario
Mario Dr. Mario
Link Young Link
Young Link Toon link
Fox Falco
And, in a way...
Zelda/sheik Samus/Zero suit samus.
There. Why should Ice climbers be an exception?
Besides, Nintendo has already proven that Ice climbers aren't going to stop them making another duo character, there were two planned for brawl, one was scrapped in early production, and the other due to late technical difficulties.

"But Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are never together except for openings and endings!"

They were the only two babies in Mario kart double dash, and were partners from the start with the same special item (chain chomp) and similar sounds. Not to mention in Mario kart wii along with baby peach and baby daisy, and the baseball and basketball series' in Mario.

These are some palette swaps for baby mario and baby Luigi courtesy of Venus of the Desert Bloom:

This is a special request for a baby bros palette swap/costume that should represent Plusle and Minun, also by Venus of the desert bloom:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Shy guy:

This character has plenty of popularity on this forum, but I don't find as much for him as Kamek or the baby bros. elsewhere, therefore placing him last in my 3 Yoshi characters,(don't forget you can tell me more) but there is still a thriving fan-base and potential for him as a character. He is certainly built to be more than the yoshi series' goomba, and would be a good way to represent doki doki panic.
Arguments:
"He's a mario series character!"
He's the yoshi series' goomba.

"He doesn't play a big enough part in the games to be a character!"
The main antagonist of the games is Kamek, but if he doesn't get in the most common enemy should no? In my opinion, Koopa troopa's would be a front-runner character for smash if Mario didn't have the spin-off games, it would rule out Waluigi and Daisy, and would leave Bowser junior and Toad the front-runners, then koopa with Geno far behind. Since the yoshi series doesn't have any spin-offs (other than Lip's rightful game, which I do not count) then Shy guy has a good shot.

Here are some palette swaps for Shy Guy. Personally, I think these are some of the best that Venus of the desert bloom has done, honestly brilliant...

Moveset:
B UP
PROPELLER
A propeller extrudes from the top of shy guy's head, like so

and shy guy gets a quick boost upwards. it only lasts a few seconds, but movement can be controlled while in the air. Enemies struck by the propeller blade take small amounts of damage, but are knocked back sideways quite a bit

B NEUTRAL
MASK THROW
This is an interesting move. This works around the concept that shy guy's mask regenerates. every once in a while, you can shed your mask, and use it as a projectile.
When you hit B, if it's been long enough since your last throw, you turn away from the camera and tug your mask off, slowly, now holding it as an item, as a new one takes it's place from the void that is your face.

then, you can throw it. It is heavy, and slow moving, but does good damage and knockback, and shatters on impact. Think soccer ball from brawl, but scaled down damage/knockback for a move instead.

idk, maybe a 20 sec cooldown? Idk how to balance the cooldown.

B SIDE
SKATE
This may be a liiitle farfetched, but hey, I'll grab specials from where I can. Anyone play Mario Kart double dash? Remember Sherbet Land? I do.

there, it's a real thing.

Think of egg roll, kinda, but it slows down between strides. When you hit someone, it's got fair knockback, but it also stuns you for a short second as well, because you get knocked off of your skates. it is only a little faster than running.

B DOWN
TIMID

ok, this one took some research.

look up mufti guy, from yoshi's island

this is the one

Anyways, think almost like a counter, but different
When you push B DOWN, a bit of a slow animation starts where shy guy reaches behind his head and pulls this bush out, holding it above his head. If this bush gets hit by an attack (one strike) it takes the attack for shy guy, and explodes into a bunch of petals, that obscure a small amount of screen (think smoke ball effect but petals)

If shy guy doesn't get attacked, he places the bush on the ground, where it stays until hit by a move, that it will block and explode, like previously explained. He can only have 2 out at a time. if there are two on the stage, you cannot use this move.
you can use this in the air, and the bush will fall to the ground from where you let go.

although this can block any attack, it can only block one attack. things like multi hits and explosions still get you. good for blocking that one charge shot, or falcon punch

FINAL SMASH
THE VOID

think captain falcon's final smash's exact hitbox and range, and how it slows down a bit and zooms in on falcon a bit when you use it.

The same thing happens to shy guy, except, he removes he mask, only facing one side of the screen (so you can't see). The player's who see it (in that falcon FS like range) stare in shock for a few seconds, while their damage rises very fast (think kirby cooking pot). then, they are completely stunned for another second, giving Shy Guy just enough time to do whatever he wants to them, while they recover from the shock.

Think, like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYr8T...layer_embedded

but more extreme
This probably won't garuntee a kill from 0%, but from like 20 or 30, maybe.

Baby bowser:

Baby bowser is a character with a decent amount of popularity, and seems like a good character for smash also. BABY BOWSER IS NOT BOWSER JR.! He is the secondary protagonist in every proper yoshi game (not ones with mario in the title) and though I do find Kamek better in the long-run, you can't say that baby bowser wouldn't be great in the short.
A special only moveset submitted by lobotheduck:
B Fireball: Shoots large fireballs about the size of Yoshi's eggs in egg toss and whichever PK thunder carries on when it hits someone and doesn't stop, though it lasts about a second shorter.
Side B DISGUSTING: Bowser eats a fruit from yoshi story and gets a buff depending on the fruit he eats. If he uses it again then it cancels the previous buff and it doesn't carry on from the rest area in all star mode.
Up B GIVE ME A RIDE!!!-Hops on his ghost thing and shoots fireballs off the top of it. Lasts three seconds.
Down B Ground pound-Same as Bowser's but creates tremors at jigglypuff sizes around him when he lands.

Final Smash 1 Super Fruit: Baby Bowser Eats a Super Heart and becomes invincible (Like Wario Man).
Final Smash 2 STORY TIME: Baby Bowser traps all the other players in a book and breaths fire on the book. This lasts for about 8 seconds, then he turns the flattened characters 3 dimensional again (except for GaW), then blows them up with a large fireball.

Lobotheduck, I hope you don't mind my changes.

Here are some Baby Bowser palette swaps, courtesy of fogbadge:

Thank you for reading this!

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Birdo

I want Birdo

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Birdo is certainly Mario character, and I think that fuzzy is too (plus the fact that Fuzzy has no chance!) lol.
Fuzzy debuted in Yoshi's Island. And I think a Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy stage would be really something. Maybe it would have to be a 3DS exclusive...

jigglover

Smash Lord
he ain't likely but were is baby bowser
I thought of putting him in, but I honestly have found no support whatsoever, and if Yoshi ends up the final series to not have two characters in it in smash 5, then I will make a support thread for all three of the characters and baby bowser and make this thread again on this forum the second speculation on this site begins. Right now, I don't think he has more than a 1 out of 5 chance and I honestly don't know enough about him to put him in the OP. If you find some things about him though, and 1 or two arguments and counter-arguments, then I will happily add him.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
I thought of putting him in, but I honestly have found no support whatsoever, and if Yoshi ends up the final series to not have two characters in it in smash 5, then I will make a support thread for all three of the characters and baby bowser and make this thread again on this forum the second speculation on this site begins. Right now, I don't think he has more than a 1 out of 5 chance and I honestly don't know enough about him to put him in the OP. If you find some things about him though, and 1 or two arguments and counter-arguments, then I will happily add him.
Pros
-He has appeared in the yoshi games then kamek, and I believe he is the final boss in all 3 appearances

Cons
-Has to compete with bowser jr.

Moveset:

B Firebreath: Same as Bowsers
Side B DISGUSTING: Bowser eats a fruit from yoshi story and gets a buff depending on the fruit he eats
Up B GIVE ME A RIDE!!!-Hops on his ghost thing and drops bombs
Down B Ground pound-Same as Bowsers

Final Smash 1 Super Fruit: Baby Bowser Eats a Super Heart and becomes invincible (Like Wario Man)
Final Smash 2 STORY TIME: Baby Bowser traps all the other players in a book and breaths fire on the book. This lasts for about 10 seconds, then he sets a turns the book back into the characters, then blows them up with a bomb

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Kamek? Bowser's pappy could pass as a Yoshi rep.

Birdo

I want Birdo
Birdo is the 1st new Mario character I want for smash 4. I would main him her Birdo.

:phone:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Birdo is stupid. Stick with real characters

D

Deleted member

Can't beleive you forgot the "Yoshi" of the Yoshi series.

Poochy ain't stupid. :troll:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
To those who don't know, Birdo is not a Yoshi's Island series character. It has only appeared in the Super Mario series, along with its spin-offs.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
To those who don't know, Birdo is not a Yoshi's Island series character. It has only appeared in the Super Mario series, along with its spin-offs.
People just assume that Yoshi and Birdo has a sort of relationship with each other. Which is kinda creepy, Birdo is a trans and Yoshi is... um. Wait, Yoshi lays eggs.

D

Deleted member

There's more than one Birdo and more than one Yoshi.

Bounds are there are males and females of both species. Just that the male Birdos seem feminine and the female Yoshis seem masculine.
I find this to be a perfect example of what I mean, despite these being Pokemon and not Birdos or Yoshis:

EDIT: For those afraid to see the image, it's a female Machoke (a masculine looking Pokemon) being given a rose by a male Gardevoir (a feminine looking Pokemon).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
People just assume that Yoshi and Birdo has a sort of relationship with each other. Which is kinda creepy, Birdo is a trans and Yoshi is... um. Wait, Yoshi lays eggs.
I have been rather suspicious about the Yoshi and Birdo relationship, ever since it was shown on the Mario Tennis box art. And when Birdo started wearing a ring on its finger, it made people think that something happened between the two.

Frankly, the way I see it, Birdo only wore the ring for a fashion statement, and has no real relationship with Yoshi.

jigglover

Smash Lord
.. That scares me.
To be honest, I'm in the same predicament with poochy as I am Baby bowser (unless your talking about the one on the simpsons) so will need some people to help me if you REALLY want him in the OP, but if you do then I can't say no so for my sanity please say no. Also nobody would take the yoshi series seriously if I do, so I probably won't anyway.
@Lobotheduck, I shall try to put baby bowser in the OP, but you, or anyone else, can tell me if I got a couple of things wrong.

About the Birdo/Yoshi relationship, I feel like Nintendo began, then scrapped the idea. I mean, the two were partners in mario kart double dash, and have very good chemistry in super mario sluggers, but really, the only other thing they have in common is that they're both dinosaurs.

D

Deleted member

So, you won't put Poochy on the OP because you're biased against him?

Poochy is to Yoshi as Yoshi is to Mario.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Birdo and Yoshi's relationship just transcends your simple-minded understanding, maaan.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
If not Shyguy than more colors for Yoshi.
So far the only colors that Yoshi needs now are orange, purple, brown, black, and white. Idk what the 12th costume should be, maybe a Birdo or a baby bowser recolor?

Btw: I'm starting to like the idea of Poochy.

:phone:

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
nice moveset changes, the only reason I didn't give him fireball is because I think bowser might have it in ssb4

D

Deleted member

Srs.
He's from Super Mario RPG and has yet to appear in the Yoshi series.

He's as much a Yoshi character as Birdo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom