• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hi, I'm terrible at this game

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by making an introductory thread. Just thought I'd introduce myself to everyone.

Hello. I'm Tarv (not my real name, but who can be bothered with real names nowadays?) I'm a (sort of... laughably so) attempted Marth Main from Pennsylvania.

I've only played this game for a few years and it's only been with the past year or so that I've actually tried to be somewhat good at this game. A friend of mine showed me the basic advanced techniques of the game and I fell in love with the complexity of the game beyond the surface level. At first I made the mistake of trying to be an Omni-main, but I eventually settled into being a Marth main. I still enjoy playing Fox, Falco, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, and Samus though.

I don't feel like I'm making any real progress. I am very very good at screwing up during matches. For example, it's literally impossible for me to not be hit by Link's Dair. (Pretty sad, right?) I feel like I know what to do, and I feel like I know how to do it but I guess I have problems with the whens and the actual application. On top of that I know squat about the finer details of playing. My knowledge of the game is capped off with SHFFling, JCGrabing, Wavedashing/landing, Crouch-canceling... You know, the basics.

So it goes without saying that I lose a lot. I can't seem to win, except for once in a blue moon and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to learning more about this game. So if anyone has any advice on playing Marth (or Melee in general) I'd be more than happy to hear it.

Nice to meet all of you.

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
@Robinhood: Haha, probably. It seems like I switch mains every other week anyways. Thanks for the link. Been lurking the forms so I've poked my head in there at least a few times.

@Crypt: *shrugs* Just the kind of person I am. Hard to explain without getting into personal stuff. I do agree with you though, it's something I need to work on.

Rollz

Smash Apprentice
At first I made the mistake of trying to be an Omni-main
You just broke my heart saying that :c that's not a mistake man... I never play the same character more than once at time unless money is on the line. The only reason I have Luigi as my main is because I've always been obsessed with his WD. To this day I switch characters every match. I find my tech skill has actually improved doing this. Honestly I believe it to be a pro method of training, and I have way more fun playing now then when I used to exclusively use Marth.

Playing Marth most can be a great thing though, just don't abandon the other characters you enjoy playing. They love you:sadsheep:

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
Not to worry Rollz. I can't imagine that I'll ever completely abandon all the other characters. Just putting some effort into making my Marth better.

Also, props on maining luigi. He's like my worst character since all I can do with him is wavedash.

Rollz

Smash Apprentice
Then you may be onto something with him :O

If you ever have trouble L-canceling with L try using Z. I prefer using Z for aerials and L-canceling because I can just double tap, but ultimately I think that really comes down to personal preference. If your timing is off though you just end up grabbing air.

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
^ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLlLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

edit: to add substance cuz mods r homos

don't worry

everyone has gotta start somewhere

Rollz

Smash Apprentice
I'm afraid I've used L to L-cancel so much that changing to Z now would just be counter-productive. I may try some day though.
You very well may not do as well subbing with Z, so definitely stick with what feels comfortable. Z is sexy though, so I give it the love rubs.

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
Nothing wrong with using Yoshi. I'll play him every once in awhile when I'm in super casual mode. I usually don't use DJC characters quite as well though. Partially because I always seem to forget I'm supposed to. So with that, I'll stick with Marth for now.

It's me Q

Smash Apprentice
Except with jumps. Use a button. Just do it.
Learning to shorthop/jump with the control stick has really opened up my game so I wouldn't discount it considering he is prob already used to using x/y for jump. Mainly for instant upair & nair with falcon but I find it makes instant aerials easier with marth too.

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
I mostly use Y to jump. The only time I'll use the control stick is to jump out of a shine when I'm playing falco. With Marth... Not so much.

And that may very well be true Cactuar. will have to practice not being from Pennsylvania. Any tips are welcome. :lol:

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
if you're playing marth and link's above you do something to him, even marth doesn't wanna be above marth. utilt is your friend

if you really wanna screw around with the link players head counter the dair a few times too XD

EDIT: hi Vectorman! :D

:phone:

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like pretty solid advice. I guess that was part of the problem I was set on trying to avoid it with a wavedash or a spot-dodge. Never really thought to use it as an opportunity to set up an attack. I'll give it a try next time I get a chance.

Thanks

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Where are you from in PA?
Pittsburgh has a really active scene that comes to our ohio tourneys all the time and stuff.
The best way to get good is to just play a lot. With as many people as possible. It takes awhile to get good, but if you put the effort in, you will see results.
Whenever you can, get videos of yourself recorded and post them for critique in the character specific boards.

Really just play a lot. And if you can't figure out what you're doing wrong, don't be affraid to ask.

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
Oh definitely. I love it when I'm below someone while they're on a lower platform. Pretty much traps fast-fallers for a series of short hop uairs it seems like.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
gives you breathing room against mid-weights, and tacks on free/safe damage against floaties as well

and like others have said, check out the marth boards, they're kind of dead but there are good guides and pleanty of info for beginners

always remember that glass ceilings can be broken

:phone:

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
You should post some videos of yourself playing so we can give you better feedback, preferrably post that on the Marth boards

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'll hopefully post something in the Marth video critique section some time this week. Need to find a way to record matches since I imagine none of you want to see a match recorded by a phone.

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
D

Deleted member

I'm convinced that the secret to success in Melee is to not be from Pennsylvania.

:troll:
lol wowwwwww

u mad hater

ya aim is good

KK gives out sugar-free candy so when he ***** you, at least you don't get diabetes or bad teeth

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
Yo real talk

Also if your close to Pittsburgh hit me up and I'll introduce you to the gang. Pittsburgh scene is where it's at.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=89517

I also main marth.. Kinda lol

Depending on we're your at I might know some players in your area.
Awesome. Didn't know the pittsburgh scene was so active. Although, I can imagine that the toughest battle is finding parking.

Going to work on my tech skill in friendlies before I stick my neck out for a tourney though. I'll definitely keep you in mind though.

If anyone wants to IM me, that'd be great.

Top Bottom