• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MOTHER Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
MOTHER Character Discussion Thread

I was surprised that no one made this thread yet.

This is a thread for discussing potential newcomers from MOTTHER 1-3. Would characters like Porky, Paula, Poo, Jeff, Kumatora or the Masked Man make great and unique additions to the roster? Is the franchise well represented with only Ness and Lucas?
Would The Death Machine be the ultimate choice for a female MOTHER rep, period?

:phone:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I feel the series is pretty over-represented actually. But if the series was going to get another character, I would like it to be Claus or Porky because we don't wanted another series where everybody must have similar attacks!

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
If we get another Mother character, it should be an enemy character, so Porky or Claus.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I feel the series is pretty over-represented actually
I agree, to an extent. Earthbound and M3 are pretty cool games, but considering that some of Nintnedo's oldest and most popular series can't seem to get more that 1 rep, it baffles me that Mother managed to get 2.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I agree, to an extent. Earthbound and M3 are pretty cool games, but considering that some of Nintnedo's oldest and most popular series can't seem to get more that 1 rep, it baffles me that Mother managed to get 2.
I can agree as well. I was a little surprised that Samurai Goroh ended up as an Assistant Trophy (and when AT's were introduced). I don't except to see Mother getting another rep, but if we do I hope it's Porky. Especially if he fights in his mech from Earthbound. Or if it's somehow involved with his move set.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Kumatora plz. Representation does not matter to me so much so long as there is diversity amongst the characters and that they also bring diversity to the overall roster.

That being said, Kumatora should play like C. Viper.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
if there's to be a third character from EarthBound, let it be a villain, like Porky or Masked Man Claus. even so, it's asking for a lot... two characters for a franchise with just 3 games is already overkill, but since they are non-linear sequels I'll give a discount.

F-Zero, Metroid and Fire Emblem deserve more representation, not only because they have more games, thus having much more characters to choose from.

Fire Emblem has so many characters that could be in, it's almost a joke. Metroid as well, despite not having as much characters as FE, but still has its share thanks to the Prime series and Other M.

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
Masked man would be nice, but porky makes the most sense to add since he's in 2 mother games and is a pretty classic villain.

nessokman

Smash Lord
porky is a boss.....MARIO is over represented.There is not one trace of mother one there.

Mother may only have 3 games, but they had a MAJOR effect on japan.They were thought up by one of japan's top cultural figures, shigesteo itoi. There are toys after it! Not to long ago, a gba game with mother 1&2 on it (figures u.s didn't get it) came out in japan.

one of their pro baseball player's theme is a tune from earthbound with lyrics.

Mother is way under represented.Their was far from enough trophies from it.

claus for ssb4 would make it just right.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yes, Mother remains a celebrated series in Japan but it's popularity is waning bit by bit as the years go on. Most elementary school age kids have no idea what Mother is and a good majority of junior high age kids as well. They may know it from their older siblings playing it. However, series such as Mario, Pokemon, Inazuma 11, and monster Hunter is enjoyed at elementary students and Biohazard, Tekken, Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest, and Final Fantasy is enjoyed by junior high school students. High School age students may be somewhat familiar with Mother but play mostly Tekken, Biohazard, Monster Hunter, and Western games. In fact, more and mote of my students are playing games such as Dragon Age, Bioshock, Call of Duty, Left 4 Dead, and Grabd Theft Auto. In fact, I have 6 5th grade students who worship GTA. Additionally, Mario, Pikachu, and Slime are undoubtedly the most well known video game mascots. Luigi, Bowser, Donkey and Diddy Kong, Peach, Wario, Waluigi, Toad, and Bowser Jr are all extremely well known with children as young as kindergarten. Mother characters pale in comparison despite it still having a little bit of it's popularity left.

I'm not trashing Mother but I'm just stating what I observe since I do ask my students Nintendo related questions; often pointed towards their thoughts on SSB....which I found surprising that more than half of the kids I talked to hate that game). As for potential Mother newcomers, I throw my hat in for Claus. But I wouldn't mind seeing Porky or Kumatora. However, I feel Mother only needs one newcomer. There isn't too much fan demand for any of them in both the west and Japan.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
Kumatora? I dont even know who that is??

I myself have never played any mother games.
And thats the reason why i think characters like kuatora poo paula and claus HAVE NO CHANCE.

because like me, most people (that nintendo are trying to sell to) have no idea what mother really is.

And thats why BY FAR the best third rep for mother is *jeff* :awesome:
jeff was in ssbb as an assist trophy correct? So non mother gamers have SOME idea who he is? Right?
AND THAT TO ME MORE THEN QUALIFIES HIM AS THE BEST CHOICE FOR A NEW MOTHER REP, BECAUSE HE IS ALREADY IN THE LOOP.

And for good reason too i might add, jeff has one amazing character design, he's got moveset possibility, and (most importantly) the kids have an idea who he is.

Oh And BTW I'm really getting disappointed by the lack of jeff support on these forums. *Tssk tssk*

nessokman

Smash Lord
Heh.The last mother was in 2006.Its popularity is still high.1st-5th graders wouldn't know it. 6th maybe.7th-12th would know it best

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
porky is a boss.....MARIO is over represented.There is not one trace of mother one there.
well if any series should get "over" represented it would be Mario since he is the mascot of the company. really all i have to say about the Mother series is that it is a series that is "dying" and by that i just mean that kids of today tend to not know what it is and is slowly losing popularity. I think Mother is fairly represented in Brawl. they got two characters, a boss character which is an honor that they didn't give to series that are arguably more worthy, and a level in said story mode that continues the Porky theme. Though admittedly in the trophy and sticker area they could have done a little better.

I like Mother but i gotta admit that i don't think it warrants three characters.
I would personally like to see the Masked Man but idk.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Kumatora? I dont even know who that is??

I myself have never played any mother games.
And thats the reason why i think characters like kuatora poo paula and claus HAVE NO CHANCE.

because like me, most people (that nintendo are trying to sell to) have no idea what mother really is.

And thats why BY FAR the best third rep for mother is *jeff* :awesome:
jeff was in ssbb as an assist trophy correct? So non mother gamers have SOME idea who he is? Right?
AND THAT TO ME MORE THEN QUALIFIES HIM AS THE BEST CHOICE FOR A NEW MOTHER REP, BECAUSE HE IS ALREADY IN THE LOOP.

And for good reason too i might add, jeff has one amazing character design, he's got moveset possibility, and (most importantly) the kids have an idea who he is.

Oh And BTW I'm really getting disappointed by the lack of jeff support on these forums. *Tssk tssk*

BUT need i remind you sakurai, smash, and nintendo are japanese,Therefore japanese opinions would count for more.You don't know kuma because she was the psi powerhouse of mother 3, which never made it to the U.S. Mother is a smash hit in japan.BTW claus owns jeff. Psi, a sword, and arm cannon, and jetpack.Jeff has bottle rockets......

nessokman

Smash Lord
A series "dying" would be losing all fanbase and eventually ending the series.Mother is done.Itoi could have made another if he wanted, but he says the series is finished.starman.net is a website dedicated to mother.Honestly the fanbase has about been neutral.

Odd fact:In the japanese ssbb, there was an earthbound demo, in America, there wasn't.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Come on guys, be reasonable. We all know that the only Mother character with a shot is Giygas. :troll:

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
BUT need i remind you sakurai, smash, and nintendo are japanese,Therefore japanese opinions would count for more.You don't know kuma because she was the psi powerhouse of mother 3, which never made it to the U.S. Mother is a smash hit in japan.BTW claus owns jeff. Psi, a sword, and arm cannon, and jetpack.Jeff has bottle rockets......
Exactly! Which is why i think jeff has such a big chance for ssb4. Its the simple fact that Jeff got an assist trophy, and "claus" didn't.

YOU KNOW. THAT WEAK KID WHO SHOOTS BOTTLE ROCKETS, HE!! GOT AN ASSIST TROPHY??

Wheres claus in ssbb? There where plenty of different choices for representing AT's for mother and nintendo chooses... jeff? Why is that??

I'll tell ya why! Its because nintendo/sakurai have taken a "special" interest in jeff,
And i dont see why not? He's way cooler then any of the other characters in mother ;P

FZ64

Smash Journeyman
Exactly! Which is why i think jeff has such a big chance for ssb4. Its the simple fact that Jeff got an assist trophy, and "claus" didn't.

YOU KNOW. THAT WEAK KID WHO SHOOTS BOTTLE ROCKETS, HE!! GOT AN ASSIST TROPHY??

Wheres claus in ssbb? There where plenty of different choices for representing AT's for mother and nintendo chooses... jeff? Why is that??

I'll tell ya why! Its because nintendo/sakurai have taken a "special" interest in jeff,
And i dont see why not? He's way cooler then any of the other characters in mother ;P

he has a sticker :troll: but knowing YOU made the Birdo thread I see evra ding i need to know about you.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Jeff was only put it because they wanted most of the assist trophies to do little damage. Issac, Goroh and Little Mac were the ones that we so overpowered.

Jeff is along the ranks of Waluigi, Nintendog and Dr. Wright

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Nintendog wouldn't be in that list as he did no damage and favored no player. Also, I think one the reasons they chose Jeff is the fact that most of the other characters from Mother/Earthbound already have their moves in Ness & Lucas's moveset so they wouldn't really be able to do anything.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Visually as an assist trophy, Jeff is more interesting when using the bottle rockets. while Claus running around using his sword or arm cannon would be exactly like so many other assist trophies that there already were

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
that's my point. he would do exactly what Ray, Goroh, Little Mac or Saki did. that's why i say they chose Jeff's bottle rockets as opposed to adding Claus. not because they think Jeff is any more important, but because Jeff does something that a bunch of other assists weren't already doing

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
he's essentially the same character as Ness so no not really.
They could tweak his design though, like how he looked like in the commercial for Mother 1:

I'd love for Ninten to make it in, therefore we'd have one rep from each Mother installment so he'd complete the necessary cycle for Mother reps.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
They could tweak his design though, like how he looked like in the commercial for Mother 1:

I'd love for Ninten to make it in, therefore we'd have one rep from each Mother installment so he'd complete the necessary cycle for Mother reps.
Good, at least somebody is on my side in the "Ninten is not similar to Ness" issue. :)

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
But for people who think that Krystal shouldn't get it because Star Fox is overepresented, hasn't done anything new and doesn't deserve a new rep, the same thing works for Ninten, Paula, Jeff, Poo, Porky, Kumatora and Claus.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
My goodness, revived after 6 months?

I can support Ninten if and only if he doesn't get in the way of other more deserving characters. But I wouldn't care if he doesn't make the cut.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Sure, Mother is a "dying" franchise, but adding Lucas to Brawl kept it still breathing, if they add Claus maybe we will finally get it outside of Japan and revive the series, so Masked Man definitely, he also has an interesting moveset, while Ninten would have the same moveset as Lucas and Ness, probably replacing freeze and flash with beam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom