• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Downloadable Content: A Good or Bad thing for the Roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I tried to see if this thread was already made, and couldn't find anything on it. This may belong in General Discussions, but i'd like to focus more on the characters.

So I ask the question: Would DLC be a bad thing for Super Smash Bros. 4?

From my personal bias, I don't feel it would be a bad thing, as long as it wasn't day one content, and wasn't overpriced. Here's why.

1) Considering the fact that there are few front running characters this time, the competition is more or less intense than in previous installments. There are relatively few characters that are worthy to be included from each series that has been included thus far. On the other hand, there are some who could use some characters, without taking away from the initial roster. Like Donkey Kong. Both K. Rool and Dixie are popular inclusions for Smash 4. So lets say K. Rool makes it, but Dixie doesn't. This would be a perfect example as to why this could work. Dixie could be included at a later date, and not even take away chances from other characters to be included, based on the amount that Sakurai has hinted at included, being less that previous installments.

2) Some candidates for Smash Bros. 4 are essentially one shots, who, while being great characters, wouldn't be suitable for a longer stay in the game. This brings characters like Ghirahim or Shulk to mind. So lets assume these two aren't included, but are still popular after the game is released. Characters could be released in packs of 2 or 3 (or individually) with a stage along with them. This would satisfy the desire for great characters without numerous appearances.

3) Like other games, such as the latest Mortal Kombat, DLC characters shared one icon on the roster, which stretched out to show the icons for the characters. However, this may have only worked because there were only four of them, but i don't see the issue regardless. I would like to think that this wouldn't take away from the initial roster.

4) Realistically, Smash Bros 4 may be the last Smash Bros for a very, VERY long time. As in, longer than the time between Brawl and Smash 4. In other words, any characters that aren't added into the next installment, may have to wait longer than 6-7 years to be included again. DLC could remedy this, giving fans the characters they want over time. Then, in the next installment, some of those characters could be included into the actual roster instead of DLC (repetitive I know). When i make this point, the Mario Characters come to mind. If say, Waluigi makes it in, then that would force several years until Toad, Bowser Jr. or Paper Mario even have a chance to make a playable appearance.

These are positives (at least I think) to include DLC. There are surely negatives to challenge these points, but that is for you guys to discuss. Right now i'm too lazy to think of any, so I may include them in the OP later. Discuss!

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
This is a great point. Similar to what I had in mind, but actually better especially with the 4th point made. I believe Smash Bros. is the type of game that can greatly benefit from having DLC. They missed the mark with Brawl; let's hope they don't miss a great opportunity with Smash 4.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
I more or less think that if DLC is used, i would rather it be used to give us new stages music tracks and maybe costumes as opposed to entirely new characters. I really don't know how to articulate this thought process but that's just what i think. overall it's kind of asking a lot for Sakurai's team to continue working on entire characters for SSB4 even after its released.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I would LOVE DLC, the only problem I would have is having to buy every character for the sake of having all the characters D:

Lol

jigglover

Smash Lord
I don't want DLC for actual characters, but stages, trophies and music I will not oppose to. It ruins the excitement of finding out who is to be in the roster, you unlock all the characters, (I like balloon fighter so I'll use him as an example) and you find that balloon fighter isn't a part of the roster, this causes you to think that he isn't in the roster, and ruins your plans of maining him. A couple of years later or something, after you've perfected another character and mained him/it/her, nintendo announces that it's using DLC for something other than trophies and is actually releasing characters with the DLC. Immediately you begin hoping for balloon fighter, and play casually for a while until he comes out. 6 months later he's still not out and you lose hope and go back to your previous main, only after losing various play-styles while playing casually, it turns out that you aren't as good with this character anymore, and the time you spent perfecting him goes down the toilet.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Just imagine, once a month, a pack of 2 or 3 characters are released with a stage, and music for the stage. So imagine Shulk, Ghirahim, and one other character. They include a stage from Xenoblade, and tons of music for it. Maybe even add in trophies, or maybe even don't bother with them. It would be great marketing, especially if they weren't entirely expensive and you could buy them individually instead of in packs. THE POTENTIAL

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Didn't Sakurai say he wanted to do DLC?
Nope. Just check the Directory thread.

Anyway I'm betting against character and stage DLC, except in the unlikely case there's an unfinished character/stage who's/that's at least 75% already done and was planned out well a head of time, in which case would come from a free update.

Can definitely see some music/trophies/stickers as well as some modes though, especially on the 3DS version, with Spot/StreetPass and whatnot. Definitely no On-Disk DLC, it's both a very un-Nintendo/Sakurai thing to do.

FE13 has a crap ton of DLC things going on, but I'd bet that's more IS than Nintendo since it's costing a very pretty penny and doesn't seem to have very much planning.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I swear, I remember hearing that Sakurai wanted to do DLC for Brawl but couldn't because lolwii.

Could have been a fake article.

:phone:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
yeah, I had already made a post about this in the General Discussion, but anyway... since this is more focused on the roster and in the Character Discussion, this could be focused around the characters and the roster itself.

perhaps costumes for the characters would be worthy of discussing as well.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
yeah, I had already made a post about this in the General Discussion, but anyway... since this is more focused on the roster and in the Character Discussion, this could be focused around the characters and the roster itself.

perhaps costumes for the characters would be worthy of discussing as well.
yes, thats what i was looking for. I suppose i would like to debate the pros and cons of DLC, but i'd like to focus more on characters within the discussion

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
While it would be a nice element to implement DLC characters into the mix, that can come back to bite you whenever you do Wi-Fi battles.

Basically, if someone has a character that you haven't purchased yet, the DLC data that gets stored onto your SD card will have to be able to update itself so that it can recognize that very character.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Personally, I think DLC characters should be free. Stuff like music, costumes, and maybe stages could be paid DLC, but I think characters should remain free. Whether Nintendo shares that opinion with me is another story, and we'll have to wait to see what they do.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
While it would be a nice element to implement DLC characters into the mix, that can come back to bite you whenever you do Wi-Fi battles.

Basically, if someone has a character that you haven't purchased yet, the DLC data that gets stored onto your SD card will have to be able to update itself so that it can recognize that very character.
this is possible without on-disc DLC, via temporary data. of course it would cause longer loading times but it would be fair for everyone.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
If there is DLC, it should be like how they give out some legendary pokemon.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I think there should be DLC but only for characters that:

1. Where cut veterans in games past
2. Where cut in SSB4 pre development

I don't really care if I have to pay for them or not. I like Nintendo and I like Smash Bros. so I don't mind throwing money at them for their products.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I could see the DLC being free like the Mario Tennis Open DLC. (but it depends if Nintendo wants to keep doing that)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If the DLC was free, that would be fantastic. I'm just more willing to bet it wouldn't be, but it would be cheap. Depending on what it was though. Like Music i think should be free, but maybe not for characters or stages.

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
alll i really want are balance patches.

any other kinds of downloads IDC too much about.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
this is possible without on-disc DLC, via temporary data. of course it would cause longer loading times but it would be fair for everyone.
Alternatively, the character data could be hidden from you, until you've officially purchased the proper character.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Balance patches are pretty much the only thing I can agree on completely regarding downloadable content of any kind.

Every Super Smash Bros game suffered from imbalanced gameplay in one way or another, so the ability to fix the problems is a good idea. Especially with exploitable glitches that may or may not occur.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I would only use the DLC is it was like in Pokemon where you take the new Wii U controller/ 3DS to GameStop/Toys R Us and download it.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If there's DLC I'm sure patches will be inevitable one way or the other, but I hope they don't do something like tweak around the balancing with patches (unless it's done to fix certain glitches/exploits) on day 1 or the first week of the game's release before the metagame really gets a chance to develop. When a team goes patch-happy very early on or every so often, I've found that it kinda makes the game unplayable to an extent, at least online.

D

Deleted member

I'd love to see DLC characters appear in Smash. Sadly, the chances of us even getting planned but scrapped characters are slim, given that Sakurai doesn't tend to stick with a game after it finishes and the same will happen with Smash 4.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
In terms of patches, they'd probably work the same way as Mario Kart 7's update; the patches would only be applied online, but will not affect offline matches.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Didn't Sakurai say he wanted to do DLC?
I want to say I read somewhere about DLC and Brawl years ago, but that's about it.

What I'm wondering is if DLC characters will be allowed at tourneys and/or will affect the tier list at all. Mortal Kombat 9 banned DLC characters at last year's EVO, but allowed said characters for this year's EVO some months ago, so I really don't know. Then if there are DLC stages, it also comes into question as to whether or not they will be evaluated for competitive legality.

Didn't they fix that Wuhu Mountain Loop glitch in offline as well? Or did it just affect Online?
It only applies to online races.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
As much as I'm mad about the Forbidden Seven situation, DLC needs to be in Smash if they want to compete with other fighting games. As long as it's either cheap or free as promised since the beginning of this year.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As much as I'm mad about the Forbidden Seven situation, DLC needs to be in Smash if they want to compete with other fighting games. As long as it's either cheap or free as promised since the beginning of this year.
I agree. DLC keeps players interested in the game long after it is released. Most fighting games take part in this as well, which is necessarily a bad thing. I honestly think that for one of, if not their biggest game, Nintendo/ Sakurai needs to start DLC use now.

To further this point, think of this scenario. Let's say Smash Bros. 4 gets released in 2013 or 2014. Okay, so the roster has between 40-50 characters. The length of time between Brawl and Smash 4 has so far been at 4 years, so it may total out at 5 or 6 years between installments. Melee was released in 2001, which was approximately 6 1/2 years before Brawl.

So what if, Smash Bros. 5 doesn't get released for nearly 6 or 7 years after Smash 4? That would mean that several characters will not see a smash debut for nearly 10 years from now if they aren't added. DLC could prevent this issue. It's not like it would be that bad as far as workload goes either. Many games support DLC and add content gradually over time, so why should Smash Bros be any different?

I understand that there is something special about only having certain characters make it in and not have others added later, but in this age of gaming, it is inevitable that it should be implemented in one way or another. Smash Bros has some of the best potential for this feature, and I think it should be capitalized upon even if it's just a little bit.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I agree. DLC keeps players interested in the game long after it is released. Most fighting games take part in this as well, which is necessarily a bad thing. I honestly think that for one of, if not their biggest game, Nintendo/ Sakurai needs to start DLC use now.
I agree with your other points, but I don't think DLC is necessary. If it was necessary we wouldn't be seeing people play Brawl, Melee, or even the original anymore. People still play all three so much. That shows that DLC at least isn't needed for games to remain interesting.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I agree with your other points, but I don't think DLC is necessary. If it was necessary we wouldn't be seeing people play Brawl, Melee, or even the original anymore. People still play all three so much. That shows that DLC at least isn't needed for games to remain interesting.
While this is true, you also have to look at it from a business standpoint. How many people will actually purchase DLC? I'm willing to bet the vast majority (myself included) will end up purchasing most of - if not, all - Nintendo has to offer for content expansion. While sure, keeping the game fresh isn't necessary, it will certainly make Nintendo more money off the game than just sales alone, and I'm sure they'll make tons from sales anyway.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
While this is true, you also have to look at it from a business standpoint. How many people will actually purchase DLC? I'm willing to bet the vast majority (myself included) will end up purchasing most of - if not, all - Nintendo has to offer for content expansion. While sure, keeping the game fresh isn't necessary, it will certainly make Nintendo more money off the game than just sales alone, and I'm sure they'll make tons from sales anyway.
I should have worded it better, but i did mean it as a business standpoint. This game is just too perfect to not have at least some form of DLC in it. Especially if the characters are just too good to pass up? They will make a KILLING off of it

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I should have worded it better, but i did mean it as a business standpoint. This game is just too perfect to not have at least some form of DLC in it. Especially if the characters are just too good to pass up? They will make a KILLING off of it
You worded it fine. My post was actually directed to Ember Reaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom