• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jarrett's Tournament: In Memory - Proceeds towards Edmonton Autism Society

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Jarrett's Tournament: In Memory of Jarrett "Solaris" Bortscher
Sept. 29, 2012 - Edmonton, Alberta, Canada - UofA Campus

---
All proceeds and donations towards the Edmonton Autism Society
A community photograph will be taken to be given to Jarrett's family.

---

Details:
Jarrett "Solaris" Bortscher was an 18 year old, autistic and catatonic Samus player in Edmonton, Alberta who had gone missing Sept 23, 2012 and had found to be passed on Sept 26, 2012. From a talented member in our city's dance community, to a fierce competitor in our smash community, Jarrett always exceeded in everything he loved with his unmatched strength, skill, and passion despite all the odds against him. Even though Jarrett was one of our youngest smashers, he's been a part of the smash community here in Alberta longer than almost any of us. He's spent the last 8 years of his life being actively involved with our ever growing community, travelling to every smashfest and every tournament. And of course, his family were well aware of this.

We want to take this opportunity to show his family how much we valued and cared about Jarrett, not only as our amazingly smart and technical Samus player, but as a valued community member and friend to us all. We will be taking a group photo of our community, and perhaps a card, so we can all sign it and write our thoughts. The proceeds of the tournament will be given to the Edmonton Autism Society.

Jarrett, you will always be remembered. Smash on, Solaris.

Game:
Project: Melee

Cost:
$10 per teammate in doubles
$10 per entrant in singles

All proceeds go towards the Edmonotn Autism Society
Additional donations are welcome.
http://www.autismedmonton.org/

University of Alberta, General Services Building Room 211
[COLLAPSE="Directions"]

---

[/COLLAPSE]

Schedule:
Room will Open at 12:00
Registration starts immediately
Double Elimination Doubles Bracket will start at 1:00
After doubles there will be a 30 min - 1 hour break
Singles Pools will then start immediately followed by a Double Elimination Singles Bracket

Rule Set:
[COLLAPSE="Rule Set"]
* 4 stock, 8 minutes.
* Sets are best of 3. Finals are best of 5.
* Items set to "off" and "none."

* Either player may call for a Double Blind character selection for the first match.
* Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: A player may not counterpick the last stage he won on in a set.

* Controller port is determined by flipping a coin if it can't be agreed upon. For doubles, the controller ports must be 1-2-2-1.
* For doubles, Team Attack is on and life stealing is allowed. Remember that Attack+Special, not the Pause button, is used to steal lives.
* Pausing during a match, unless okayed by the other player, will result in the loss of one stock for the pauser.

* If time runs out, the person with the most stock left (or least % if they are equal) wins. If the % is equal as well, play a 1 stock 3 minute match, same characters and stage.
* If the match goes to sudden death due to a suicide move (Ganon's side-B, Kirby/DDD's swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the one who initiated the move wins.

* Buffer set to off.
* Custom controls are allowed, but controllers modified to enhance performance are not. No turbo buttons, etc. However, removing the springs from shoulder buttons or replacing a thumbstick with a different thumbstick are ok.
* Custom music is allowed as long as it's not too distracting, but any textures or vertex hacks outside of the official team color textures or Melee re-textures over Fox and Falco are not. Simple recolors are allowed, however the margin for tolerance is very low in this regard, and is up to the TO's discretion.
* In the event that the game crashes or the TV/Wii loses power in the middle of a match, that match will be restarted from the beginning with the same characters and stage. If a player uses a known glitch to intentionally crash the game or otherwise make it unfinishable, that player may be forced to forfeit the match or be DQed at the TO's discretion.

* No excessive stalling (this includes abusing Jiggs' Rising Pound and Mario's Up-B Walljump)
* No coaching during a match. Consulting someone between matches is allowed as long as it doesn't hold up the next match.
* Both players may agree to any rule or stage outside the tournament ruleset.
[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Stage List"]
Singles
Starter
Battlefield
Dream Land 64
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Green Hill Zone
Pokemon Stadium 2
SkyWorld
Smashville
Wario Ware Inc.
Yoshi's Island Brawl
Yoshi's Story Melee

Counter-pick
Dracula's Castle
Kongo Jungle 64
Lylat Cruise
Metal Cavern
Pokemon Stadium 1
Rumble Falls
SSE: Jungle
Temple

Doubles
Starter
Battlefield
Dream Land 64
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Pokemon Stadium 2
SkyWorld
Smashville
Yoshi's Island Brawl
Dracula's Castle
Rumble Falls
SSE: Jungle

Counter-pick
Hyrule Temple 64
Kongo Jungle 64
Pokemon Stadium 1
[/COLLAPSE]

---
I was with Jarrett's family for much of the day. His dad was telling me about how we, the friends he made through Smash, were honestly his closest friends, and one of the greatest joys in his life.
He told me about how he was always so eager to go to every smashfest that was happening, and that playing Smash was one of the few things he happily talked about.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
It should say so in the title, but I'll add it into the main post as well

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
That'd be great if you could get in contact with the old punch crew too Steve.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
I'll be bringing a camcorder so maybe everyone can express a little something to Jarrett's family as well if that's appropriate.

Do you think we could do a Samus side tournament or something on Melee as well?

Limeee

Smash Champion
I'm definitely coming to this.

:009:

RIP Jarrett.

EDIT: also there is no samus in project m.

i will try to remember to bring melee so we can do that if you want
also my mom is really into scrap booking and i might be able to put a sign together for the group photo

would you guys want that?
EDIT2: Superwavedash might be a good name for the series. its the first thing I heard about his samus :)

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
I anticipated something like this and fully intended to be there, but wow, that's a quick turnaround. I don't think I'll be able to do it on two days notice. :(

Either way I'm a big supporter of what you're doing, Victor--you've kept the community strong and will continue to do so through these difficult times. All the best.

--Randall

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I'll be bringing a camcorder so maybe everyone can express a little something to Jarrett's family as well if that's appropriate.

Do you think we could do a Samus side tournament or something on Melee as well?
That'd be cool. I haven't heard anything back from the Project: M developers, but I'm checking constantly to see if I got a response back. I asked if we could obtain a build (that wouldn't be publicly released of course) that would have Samus as a playable character. If that happens, I will be going exclusively Samus for the tournament.

No holding our breath though. We can always just use Samus on the side for Melee.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
my mom is really into scrap booking and i might be able to put a sign together for the group photo

would you guys want that?
That would actually be amazing. Can you text me about details with that? I've been trying to think of something large enough that we can all sign but small enough that its not obnoxious.

I have a friend who is a professional photographer and she'll stop by to take the photo. I'll run to the nearest staples to get it printed. The size will depend on your sign.
I anticipated something like this and fully intended to be there, but wow, that's a quick turnaround. I don't think I'll be able to do it on two days notice. :(

Either way I'm a big supporter of what you're doing, Victor--you've kept the community strong and will continue to do so through these difficult times. All the best.

--Randall
Thank you Randall. We will keep your thoughts with us.

Stevo

Smash Champion

--Randall
It's understandable that you may not be able to make it. Although it would have been nice to organize this with more notice, it makes sense to have it this weekend since most of us already kept the date open.

Like Victor said, we will keep your thoughts with us.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
That would actually be amazing. Can you text me about details with that? I've been trying to think of something large enough that we can all sign but small enough that its not obnoxious.

I have a friend who is a professional photographer and she'll stop by to take the photo. I'll run to the nearest staples to get it printed. The size will depend on your sign.

Thank you Randall. We will keep your thoughts with us.
Hey Vic, when you go to Staples, I'll come with if you want; since I work at the Staples in Spruce Grove and all.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
That's be great actually. I was going to have to take public transit so it would really save us some time.

We don't necessarily need to head to the sg staples though. I worked at a staples that's right off whyte ave, which should be a quick trip.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
That's be great actually. I was going to have to take public transit so it would really save us some time.

We don't necessarily need to head to the sg staples though. I worked at a staples that's right off whyte ave, which should be a quick trip.
Yeah I know, no need to go to the Staples in Spruce--wait a sec. You work at Staples too? LOL Alrighty then!

[EDIT]

Ah. Worked. Nvm. Either way, you know we close down at 6 on Saturday. So if we're gonna get the prints we should do it in the afternoon just in case.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Worked haha. About 2 summers ago haha.

But thank you Brandon, I really appreciate it.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman

--Randall
Randall, if you would like, there is a tournament (actually for Persona 4 I believe) gathering at UofC this weekend for the fighting games club premiere. I hope that anyone who attends would be willing to get together for a photo in memory, as well as any donations anyone would like to add we could easily transfer over victor. So don't feel like you have to miss out. Anything is appreciated, even in spirit.

Well, to be fair, if the punch crews coming out, thats... well worth a bit in my opinion

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
I'll be there.

Jarrett was my teams partner in the very first tournament I had ever attended. This one will be quite bittersweet for me, I suspect.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
OP picture is perfect, and punch crew definitely needs to make an appearance. Samus only melee sidevent is a fantastic idea. Everyone has to practice extender and super wave dash.

Stevo

Smash Champion
do we need setups for this?

I have

2 TVs (though one is MASSIVE)

1 brawl disc

1 SD card with PM

2 Wiis

I'll probably just end up bringing everything (except the big TV unless we REALLY need it)

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Yeah, there will the usual set ups from the Brawl community, but we will need as many set ups as possible. The more set ups, the more friendly set ups and the faster and smoother everything will go.

If anyone has a set up, please please please bring it. That includes, wii + p:m and/or t.v. etc.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Only a Wii with P:M? That's all you need. ;) We'll have enough TVs I'm sure, unless this REALLY takes off. But every set-up will have Project: M running.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
yeah. Even if you don't have p:m, bring your wii and an sd card and we can get p:m ready in a jiffy.

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
Oh man I'm so down for Samus only side tourney.

I dunno how long I can stay though, guys. I was hoping to get to the tourney around 12:30, and leave for Nakamun again around 6 so I can catch our 7pm rehearsal. I hope I can at least enter doubles and a side tourney.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Yeah it's what I have, it's quick and easy.

Also does anyone have some kind of cash box we can use to hold to donations?

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Just so everyone knows:
This room is not officially booked. The brawl community has been using this room for a long time without having it booked so I suspect it shouldn't be an issue, but keep in mind that we don't want to draw TOO much attention to ourselves. I would hate for an event of this nature to be shut down half way through.

Dragonz7

Smash Apprentice
I'm confirmed

I'll bring a melee setup, trying to get p:m tonight

Top Bottom