• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The original damsel in distress - Pauline (Support Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serilei

Smash Apprentice
Pauline is the woman whom Mario must rescue from the eponymous ape in the original Donkey Kong. In the same way Mario was originally called "Jumpman", Pauline was simply referred to as "Lady" in Japan. It was during the game's distribution in North America that she was given the name Pauline after Polly James, the wife of Nintendo of America's warehouse manager, Don James. Following her first appearance in Donkey Kong, Pauline appeared in Family Basic and in Pinball for the Nintendo Entertainment System. Princess Peach, who was introduced in Super Mario Bros., took Pauline's place as the damsel-in-distress in that game, eventually becoming Mario's primary romantic interest in most of the subsequent games in the series.

Pauline did not appear in another game until the 1994 Game Boy version of Donkey Kong, where she was once again taken captive by Donkey Kong and his son. Whereas the original arcade game's cabinet depicts Pauline with blond hair, the Game Boy remake features a redesigned modern Pauline as a brunette, distinguishing her from the blond-haired Peach, wearing a red dress with a torn skirt. This version of Pauline makes an appearance in Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis for the Nintendo DS, where she appears as the guest of honor in the opening of the Super Mini-Mario World theme park.

Appearances in other media
Pauline appeared in the CBS series Saturday Supercade in 1983, but as Mario's niece rather than girlfriend.

In the film Super Mario Bros., there is a character named Daniella. Like Pauline, she is Mario's girlfriend with no royalty status.

Pauline had a small cameo in Nintendo Monopoly.

In the Nintendo Comics System comic "Cloud Burst", Mario mentioned having an ex-girlfriend whom he compared to Princess Toadstool and Luigi and compared to Bowser. It is possible (though unconfirmed) that this ex-girlfriend was Pauline.

Pauline has also appeared in each of the 3 Mario Vs Donkey Kong mini series for the DS.

Color swaps coming soon

Move Set
(A) attack
A attack - Purse attack (She swings her purse around, does 2 - 4% damage, per hit)
A down - hand sweep attack (She crouches down and spins in circles with her hands out)
A L/R - Mini attack (She can throw out one mini at a time for up to 6 minis, there are 3 mini's and each one is random. Mario, Pauline, and DK. Pauline does 2 damage a second, mario 4, DK 6. The minis are throw out then hit the ground and walk around for 2 or 3 seconds then disappear)
A Up - Ladder extend or upwards parasol attack (either a retro DK ladder extends up from the ground, doing 6-10%, or she stabs her parasol up in the air doing 6-10%)
Dash - running attack to push opponent down (running attack that shoves the opponent down and does 8%
Hold up, press A - Spinning hand attack (she spins around extending both her hands in the air, 13%)
Hold down, press A - (she extends her arms out and up and a metal beam similar to retro dk comes up from the ground and then disappears 10%)

(B) Attack
B Attack - Fire throw (throws retro DK fires out at the opponent, they hit the ground and roll across the platform until they fall off or dissapear after 5 seconds, 3 second lag before you can throw again, 18%)
B Down - hammer attack (Uses the retro DK hammer - she faces toward the screen and picks up the hammer and slams it on the ground creating a small wave of energy around her)
B L/R - Barrel throw (fire barrel does more damage) (She throws retro DK barrels at the opponent, the barrels roll across the ground until they hit something and break or fall off the edge,3 second wait, 17-20%, Fire barrels do 23-26%)
B Up - DK throw (In the background a retro DK on the metal platform with ladders, reaches into the match and throws you in an upward direction plus in a direction you are holding the stick or dpad, 22%,)
Smash L/R - Parasol (when smashing with the parasol, it opens up widely and hits the opponent (17-21%)
Smash UP - Heart pulse (She crouches down and when she goes up she sort of jumps throwing her hands up and a bunch of hearts come from her hitting the opponent (16-22% can do 27% if she hits you with her hands too)
Smash down - DK JR Ground pound (she holds her hands up in the air and before going down a silhouette of DK JR appears behind her with his hands up too, and when you go down he goes down, smashing the ground (17-24%)

Final smash
Idea 1 - DK shows up throwing barrels, fire, and springs
Idea 2 - a flood of Mini's going through the stage.

Air attack
Normal - spinning in circles smacking with purse (about 10%)
L/R - Help word extends out (13% and can smash if opponent % is too high)
Down - smashes downward with a fire barrel (11% can smash also)
up - spinning 2 handed attack (8-10%)

Grab attack
Normal - Back hand smacks (2% per smack)
Up - throw up in air (9%)
Down - throws opponent down and jumps on (13%)
Left - Mini attack (When holding opponent, she lets them go and smacks them with a mini 12%)
Right - Spring attack (when throwing the opponent the spring goes from pauline and up hitting the opponent knocking them to the ground, then the spring comes down and hits them, then bounces away 9-13%)

Mini Marchers (supporters)
Serilei
R.O.B
Pichu4SSB4
Jigglover

Ideas are very much welcome​

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I would be great to have a character to represent the Mario vs. Donkey Kong titles and Pauline is perfect for that role. Peach vs. Pauline would be a one hell of a battle.

Serilei

Smash Apprentice
I would be great to have a character to represent the Mario vs. Donkey Kong titles and Pauline is perfect for that role. Peach vs. Pauline would be a one hell of a battle.
Exactly, she has been just stuck off as a side character, and she deserves a spotlight too. And i also think the moveset I have for her would work greatly

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Pauline was pretty much the prototype character for Peach, which is why she became absent from future Mario games. Her reappearance in the Mario VS Donkey Kong games was pretty cool, but i don't think it really meant that much. It'd be interesting to see her again, though.

Serilei

Smash Apprentice
Pauline was pretty much the prototype character for Peach, which is why she became absent from future Mario games. Her reappearance in the Mario VS Donkey Kong games was pretty cool, but i don't think it really meant that much. It'd be interesting to see her again, though.
i know and it sucks she seems to be a prototype, she really needs her place in the Mario universe!

jigglover

Smash Lord
Personally I prefer retro DK to have this style of move-set and representation. The problem is, is that Retro DK isn't in the mario vs donkey kong mini-series. I think it'll be a good idea to add a list of supporters to the OP. I can't believe this thread hasn't been made before!

Serilei

Smash Apprentice
Personally I prefer retro DK to have this style of move-set and representation. The problem is, is that Retro DK isn't in the mario vs donkey kong mini-series. I think it'll be a good idea to add a list of supporters to the OP. I can't believe this thread hasn't been made before!
It would be nice to have Retro DK but you know they will only stick to modern DK, so since they are on that route, I just used items and moves between the original DK game and the mini series to give her a set of moves, I mean why not? She does have much going for her as far as moves go. Hell I even tried to include DK and DK Jr into her attacks without over doing it!

But what is this thing about supporters? I mean i know what one is, but how is it implemented into the smash boards and for what reason do I write them down?

jigglover

Smash Lord
I suppose you're right. On terms of supporters, lots of threads have a list in the OP of people who support the character's inclusion in smash which the thread is about. They usually think of a cool name related to the character and people can ask to be included in it. So for instance, on the Scizor thread, there are the bug catchers, the bug catchers are people who support Scizor's inclusion for smash and are in the list in the OP.

Serilei

Smash Apprentice
I suppose you're right. On terms of supporters, lots of threads have a list in the OP of people who support the character's inclusion in smash which the thread is about. They usually think of a cool name related to the character and people can ask to be included in it. So for instance, on the Scizor thread, there are the bug catchers, the bug catchers are people who support Scizor's inclusion for smash and are in the list in the OP.
Ahh I see, so you want to be a supporter as well?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
would be the best rep for the original DK game and the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series.

she could use Mini-Marios in certain Special Moves. if they worked out movesets for some characters which had nowhere to draw from (Peach, Fox, ...), they could make Pauline fight as well.

in the worst case, she could come as a Peach clone, costume or something like that.

D

Deleted member

I can see her using Minis (not just Mini-Marios) to fight with.

I don't really support her though. In terms of DK characters, there is a long line. Not until K. Rool, Dixie, and Cranky get in would I like to see her. (And possibly Funky too)

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I don't support Pauline for reasons that Golden already stated, but I think it would be pretty interesting if her specials were based around use of the minis. She would simply set them loose and they would do the attacking, SORT OF like Waddle Dees, but you'd have more direct control over the mins.

Overall, she'd be somewhat difficult to use since her specials don't attack opponents directly, but it'd be unique and fun to try.

I have no idea what these specials might be though.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Correct me if I'm wrong, but could/can olimar control where his pikmin go in project M? Pauline could possibly do the same thing.

:phone:

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
I don't see a full-fledged character in her, but what would be a nice nod is if Peach had a skin/recolour to look like her(and one like Daisy). She's just not important enough of a character to be in Smash.

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
I't would be awsome to see her make it in smash 4..

To date shes been in...7 Mario and Donkey games.

And theres a sticker of Pauline and Donkey Kong in super smash bros brawl.

Donkey Kong 1981

Pinball Mario Breakout 1984

Donkey Kong (Game Boy 1994

Mario vs. Donkey Kong May 24, 2004

Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2 March of the Minis Sep 25, 2006

Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem! Nov 14, 2010)

Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move May 9, 2013

loganhogan

Smash Ace
I remember seeing Pauline in Nintendo's Land she was in the Donkey Kong Crash course. If they included her would she count as a Mario or a Donkey Kong character or separate? In Nintendo Land they used a different icon for the course she appears in.

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
I remember seeing Pauline in Nintendo's Land she was in the Donkey Kong Crash course. If they included her would she count as a Mario or a Donkey Kong character or separate? In Nintendo Land they used a different icon for the course she appears in.

Im not sure id think she would count as a Mario or a Donkey Kong character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom