• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Slippy Toad for Smash DLC: (Star Fox Zero Hype and Slippy's Getting A Bigger Role!)

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945

It's the mechanical genius of the Star Fox team, Slippy Toad!

Brawl Trophy Description:

"A top-notch mechanic with less- than-stellar battle skills. Respected for his talent, he joins the Star Fox team and shows his mechanical genius in everything from vehicle maintenance to weapons development. Slippy often holds the team back with his clumsiness but makes up for it with his likeable personality and morale-boosting presence."

Since Slippy is the Mechanic of the team, the idea I came up for Slippy's move set relies on him mostly using his tools and several weapons he made for his team or appeared throughout the Star Fox games, while still retaining his charm.

Slippy would be a heavy character (for carrying a lot of gear) with slow running speed and average to quick air mobility, as well as a high second jump.

[Collapse=Gene's move set]

"SPECIAL MOVES"
Up B- Booster Pack (Jet Pack):

Activates the booster pack he's wearing. It will allow Slippy to hover around like R.O.B.'s up B but with more horizontal air mobility for a short amount of time, then starts to fall down in a helpless state while spinning around.

Neutral B- Barrier Sphere:

Slippy activates it, which forms a small transparent blue bubble around him. The barrier lasts for 8 seconds, and protects you from projectiles and cuts damage of your opponents attacks in half. You can stop using the barrier by pressing L or R (however you shield) but every time you use it again the barrier's time continues until it runs out. If your opponent walks into it, the result would make your opponent take minor damage (about 4% for every second). Once the barrier runs out it'll take 30 seconds to recharge.

Down B- Container (Credit to gothrax for the ROB 64 idea):

Slippy signals ROB 64 to send him supplies (makes the signal sound as well). It's a 2 second wait (for the signal and the supplies to come) til the container drops from the sky to where you signaled ROB 64. This special allows Slippy to use one random weapon out of the three different weapon classes sent to you: Grenade, Gun, and Launcher. The weapon order is random and you're only able to have one out at a time until it runs out of ammo or explodes (grenade only explodes). Opponents can pick up your weapons and use them the same way you can (like items), as well as throw the guns at your opponent, the ground or in the air. These guns will disappear if you leave them on the ground for too long. The A button would trigger the weapon, similar to throwing a bob-omb or using a super scope and ray gun. Another thing. Depending on what weapon is in the container, it can spike your opponent if it falls on them off stage. So you can run off stage and signal ROB 64 and it'll act as a Pit Fall.

Grenade (2 grenades):

Throws a grenade at opponent. Not counting his Usmash, Slippy can have two grenades out at once on the field.

Machine Gun (40 rounds):

Good for racking up damage but it'll have medium range and weak hit stun (not like Fox's blaster). This move is more like a series of weak mid ranged jabs coming out of a gun.

Homing Launcher (3 rockets):

Shoots a large homing rocket at your opponent (as big as Kirby). Slippy's strongest supplies weapon. There's a 2 second wait in order to fire the next rocket. You have to be a certain range for the rockets to lock on to your opponent, if you are too far it'll just fire horizontally.

Side B- Bull Frog (Credit to gothrax for the idea and name):

Slippy yells "BULL FROG!!" and charges at you. There are two versions of this move

Ground: has Diddy Kong's side B speed and high horizontal knock back. Slippy will slowly fall if used in the air. Bull Frog leaves a bright green aquatic effect trailing him horizontally.

Air: Has the same attributes as the ground version but works like a grab similar to Diddy Kong's side B. Slippy will kick off the opponent, inspired Killer Instinct's Orchid.

"SMASH MOVES"
Fsmash- Wrench:
Does a two handed horizontal swing with his wrench. Whenever you use his Fsmash his range gets a tiny bit longer as the wrench is slipping out of his hands. The longest one would be Slippy throwing his wrench like a boomerang by accident. His Fsmash will be useless until after his wrench returns to him (3 second wait).

Dsmash:
Slippy spins around while shooting his machine gun. If you're up close you can get hit by the machine gun itself. You can move while spinning, similar to using Luigi's down B but more than half the length. This move can follow up with a grab depending on how long Dsmash is held and percentage of opponent. The bullets have a weak hit stun. Dsmash will leave you in a helpless state if using it to move off stage.

Usmash- Grenade Toss:
Tosses a grenade up in the air and it explodes. The longer the charge the higher the toss.

1) If no charge: Slippy will lightly toss the grenade with one hand and it will hit the ground and explode. You'll have time to light toss a grenade and dash away before hurting yourself.

2) Medium charge: Slippy puts a little more force into his toss. The grenade will explode by hitting the ground, but also explode in the air or your opponent by catching it as it's falling. You can move normally with it like an item in your hand while having the option to lightly toss the grenade, a medium throw or fully throw it in several directions (or blow up). You can have three grenades out at once by using side B if you have down B set to it.

3) Full charge: Throws up the bomb and it explodes on impact or in the air.

Tilts & Jab:

Utilt: Does a small hop and stretches his arm upwards with his screwdriver.

Ftilt: Leans forward trying to poke you with his screwdriver.

Dtilt: Does a slow sweep with his wrench.

Jab combo: Swings his wrench with his right hand once, swings it again, then does a continuation of vertical stabs with his screwdriver (left hand) while looking the opposite way, eyes closed.

Dash Attack: King Dedede's dash attack but weaker.

Grabs:

Pummel: Pokes you with his screwdriver.

Up Grab: Lifts you up with his wrench with two hands.

Forward Grab: Kicks you with both feet.

Back Grab: Bear hugs you and falls backwards while tossing you, ends grab with him shooting his blaster at you.

Down Grab: Jumps up and slams you to the ground with his wrench.

Aerials:

Uair: Slippy does a Barrel Roll, holding his wrench with both hands.

Nair: Does two kicks, similar to Ness' Nair from ssb64.

Fair: Similar to DK's ssb64 but slower and does a full front flip while holding his wrench. A weak spike move.

Bair: Stretches left arm backward while poking his opponent with a screw driver.

Dair: Slippy does a quick stomp and spikes the opponent. Reliable kill move.

Taunts:

Up Taunt: Tosses his blaster up in the air like Fox but comes back down and hits him in the head.

Side Taunt: Says "You want a piece of me?" like in SF 64.

Down Taunt: Says "Enemy Shield Analyzed!"

Winner/Loser Animations:

Winner:

1) Puts his hand on his head and reports to base saying "Slippy here, I'm okay!"

2) Starts to dance like his winning animation in SF Assault.

Losing:

His losing animation from SF Assault.

Stage Entrance:

Just like the other Star Fox characters, except he lands on his butt and gets back up.

Final Smash:

Demon Launcher

The Demon Launcher will only have 1 rocket, and the single rocket will have an auto lock like Samus' weaker missiles but faster and does a 1 hit KO to your opponent(s).[/Collapse]

I will leave the rest of the discussion for everyone else. I'll make a support list if anyone wants to be added. Also feel free to submit a move set for Slippy or make a suggestion if my move set seems too broken. Much criticism needed.:)

SUPPORTERS

Gene
jigglover
R.O.B.
GoldenYuiitusin
Xenoblaze
SmashShadow
gothrax
FalKoopa
Manny Toons
Exegguter
Lilfut
Awesomedude4444
Logo12
Lord-Zero
Kevandre​

Last edited:

jigglover

Smash Lord
Wow, I'm in. The problem I find with your move-set is the down-B side-B thing going on. Mark my word, that will not work. The only thing that might be fun, is having a different move-set per swap, so one is strong but short-range, i.e machine gun for side B, one could be long range, i.e homing launcher, and one could be in the middle, i.e grenade.
I just don't see how you could possibly change the side-B with down-B. In smash you need to go with the moment, trust your gut, not go: "I need to rack up some damage, get out machine gun. Oh wait, this guy's quick, i better switch to the launcher to get him from far away. Oh no, Pikachu was just ko'd, back to bowser and machine gun. Oh no, Pikachu's back." Do you see the problem?

But add me to the slipsters! :D

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
he's a better choice then like Peppy, but i just dont see it happening. on a side note i think this is pretty well made btw

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
As much as I'm a big Slippy fan, I would love him as another Team Star Fox rep along with Krystal since they are both unique. :3

splat

Smash Lord
Krystal passed Slippy on the list of popular characters from Star Fox (I typo'd list as lust, which pretty much makes sense, too). Four characters from the series seems kind of a stretch - bar five. For that matter, I don't give Slippy much chance.

What strikes me as interesting though: who made that artwork?

jigglover

Smash Lord
What? The model? I too found it mighty impressive.
By the way, how did you manage to make two identical threads? Double-clicking the post new thread button or something?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Did you accidentally make 2 threads?

Slippy? No. Star Fox doesn't need a 4th character, and if it did get another character, it shouldn't be Slippy.

jigglover

Smash Lord
My computer has 2 slippy threads on it.
Slippy is better than Krystal, if you say he isn't then you're lying, unless you give me logical reasons.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Wow, I'm in. The problem I find with your move-set is the down-B side-B thing going on. Mark my word, that will not work. The only thing that might be fun, is having a different move-set per swap, so one is strong but short-range, i.e machine gun for side B, one could be long range, i.e homing launcher, and one could be in the middle, i.e grenade.
I just don't see how you could possibly change the side-B with down-B. In smash you need to go with the moment, trust your gut, not go: "I need to rack up some damage, get out machine gun. Oh wait, this guy's quick, i better switch to the launcher to get him from far away. Oh no, Pikachu was just ko'd, back to bowser and machine gun. Oh no, Pikachu's back." Do you see the problem?

But add me to the slipsters! :D
I see. I was thinking of ways to make this work last night but your example sounds simpler.

Also about the artwork...that's a good question. My brother goes on 4chan a lot. He was on a smash thread and while I was walking by I saw two or three Slippy pics posted, by this artist I don't know. The first is this one in my OP and the second was him holding out his reflector with I believe was some white Japanese text (I could be wrong). I didn't see the third one because my brother refreshed the page and the thread 404'd. I tried google to find the pics but no luck.

Instead of having a reflector like fox, falco, and wolf I gave Slippy the barrier sphere from SF Assualt.

@ Robert of Normandy Robert of Normandy : I accidentally made the first thread while I was still working on it. I don't know how to delete it unless a mod can only do it. Also I can agree that star fox is over represented, but if we get another rep I believe Slippy would be a more interesting choice to work with. And not because I like Slippy more then the most popular choice, Krystal.

:phone:

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
My computer has 2 slippy threads on it.
Slippy is better than Krystal, if you say he isn't then you're lying, unless you give me logical reasons.
Can you give me a logical reason that Slippy is better than Krystal?

Maybe I shouldn't have said Slippy isn' the best choice. Personally, I think Star Fox as a series is overrated and shouldn't have gotten even 3 characters, but that's just me.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I would rather have Slippy then Krystal any day, mostly because Slippy is the more enjoyable and useful character overall.

Also because frogs with machine guns are pretty neato.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Slippy has brilliant move-set potential. Krystal has a staff.
Slippy has guns. Now what other Star Fox members has those too? A staff wielder in smash hasn't been seen before as well as the fact that her staff has several mystical/elemental properties. Honestly, I could give Slippy Snake's moveset with a few tweaks.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's funny because nobody actually cares about Krystal, just her staff. Just make the staff a playable character if it's so awesome and let Krystal die in the sands of time.

But sadly the staff is very unimpressive regardless, at least compared to the dozen types available in Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Slippy has guns. Now what other Star Fox members has those too?
Well, by that logic you could apply the same thing to characters in smash with swords. Do we need any more sword users? And Slippy wouldn't only have guns to choose from.

A staff wielder in smash hasn't been seen before as well as the fact that her staff has several mystical/elemental properties.
Palutena would like a word with you.

Honestly, I could give Slippy Snake's moveset with a few tweaks.
A Snake clone? That actually makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Now this is a Star Fox character I can support.

Especially over that overrated trash with a stripper name who people only want for her mammary glands and a magic stick.

Seeing as Slippy essentially makes the weapons, it wouldn't surprise me for him to have weapons in Smash that he doesn't give to Fox or Falco. I.e. Assault Weapons.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Now this is a Star Fox character I can support.

Especially over that overrated trash with a stripper name who people only want for her mammary glands and a magic stick.

Seeing as Slippy essentially makes the weapons, it wouldn't surprise me for him to have weapons in Smash that he doesn't give to Fox or Falco. I.e. Assault Weapons.
I added you to the support list, if you don't mind.

About Slippy's final smash. Between the Blue Marine and the Demon Launcher, which one would be the better choice? The Blue Marine could be his final smash while the Demon Launcher could be a Star Fox item.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I haven't posted her in a while, but I will for a Slippy thread. He makes more sense for a Starfox character since he's been around longer and probably has more personality too. I remember hearing he's more liked in Japan, but take it for what you will.

I have another Slippy image, but I'll post it another time.

D

Deleted member

I added you to the support list, if you don't mind.

About Slippy's final smash. Between the Blue Marine and the Demon Launcher, which one would be the better choice? The Blue Marine could be his final smash while the Demon Launcher could be a Star Fox item.

I know there are unconventional things such as flying Kyogre, but I think a flying Blue Marine would look awkward to me. Unless it can do that. I only know it as an aquatic vehicle.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Well, by that logic you could apply the same thing to characters in smash with swords. Do we need any more sword users? And Slippy wouldn't only have guns to choose from.
I was just making the argument that guns are nothing new to smash. But yes, I am sure that Slippy has more up his sleeve than that.

Palutena would like a word with you.
She can have a word, when she's actually in smash ;)

I wasn't arguing against Slippy. I was just making a counter argument for Krystal. I would totally support Slippy getting in.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Slippy was always my character choice in Star Fox 64.

I made him hop instead of walking 'cause he's a frog

I wish more people had this point of view.

You can't use a character for an argument unless they are a confirmed character. Even if they are a popular choice, they aren't IN the game

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I know there are unconventional things such as flying Kyogre, but I think a flying Blue Marine would look awkward to me. Unless it can do that. I only know it as an aquatic vehicle.
I guess the Demon Launcher would be his final smash. Unless the stage gets flooded half way with water while Slippy is in the Blue Marine.
I was just making the argument that guns are nothing new to smash. But yes, I am sure that Slippy has more up his sleeve than that.

I wasn't arguing against Slippy. I was just making a counter argument for Krystal. I would totally support Slippy getting in.
Oh okay. I could add you to the support list if you want.

Slippy was always my character choice in Star Fox 64.

I made him hop instead of walking 'cause he's a frog

I wish more people had this point of view.

You can't use a character for an argument unless they are a confirmed character. Even if they are a popular choice, they aren't IN the game
That is a good point.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
I think there'll only be 3 representatives of the Star Fox series considering there haven't been that many of them and some weren't that successful. Fox and Falco are sure to return because they are among the most popular Smash characters. If another Star Fox character is in SM4SH, I think Wolf will be cut and have his abilities spread among the other 3 characters to make them less 'cloney'(he was the most unique of the 3 ability wise).

Whether the new 3rd character is Slippy, Krystal or even Peppy is anyone's guess. I do find Slippy more true to the series than Krystal because she was shoehorned in.

D

Deleted member

Slippy is arguably more important than Falco, who's only a hothead that is on the team on and off.
Slippy is the only one outside of Fox that remains on the team as an active pilot in all games, he is the one that analyzes boss' health for you, and he's Fox's best friend. Oh, and he designs all the tech, can't forget that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
She might have very valid points against her inclusion, but Krystal is still more likely than Slippy. Pretty much the only thing Krystal has going for her is popularity (as the staff really does nothing to increase her chances), of which Slippy is definitely not at the same level. Sure Krystal isn't too popular in Japan, but honestly neither is Slippy, nor Star Fox in general. They're about on even ground there, but elsewhere, Slippy is at most the far second most requested and popular character, even with all of Krystal's detractors.

I'm not saying he couldn't work or he wouldn't be a fun character, just that his chances aren't too great, especially considering SF very well might not get a new rep.

And as to where the Slippy art came from:
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=29901081

It's the only Smash-style art uploaded by the user, which is a shame considering it's so good. :ohwell:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
She might have very valid points against her inclusion, but Krystal is still more likely than Slippy. Pretty much the only thing Krystal has going for her is popularity (as the staff really does nothing to increase her chances), of which Slippy is definitely not at the same level. Sure Krystal isn't too popular in Japan, but honestly neither is Slippy, nor Star Fox in general. They're about on even ground there, but elsewhere, Slippy is at most the far second most requested and popular character, even with all of Krystal's detractors.

I'm not saying he couldn't work or he wouldn't be a fun character, just that his chances aren't too great, especially considering SF very well might not get a new rep.

And as to where the Slippy art came from:
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=29901081

It's the only Smash-style art uploaded by the user, which is a shame considering it's so good. :ohwell:
Last time I checked, didn't TV Tropes say that Slippy is adored by Japanese Star Fox fans. I guess that squeaky voice and froggy face makes him look cute. :D

Go to the games section.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AmericansHateTingle

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Last time I checked, didn't TV Tropes say that Slippy is adored by Japanese Star Fox fans. I guess that squeaky voice and froggy face makes him look cute. :D

Go to the games section.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AmericansHateTingle
It's possible that he has a bit more general popularity than popularity for Smash (like with Toad), but from at least the sites I've been too Star Fox characters are barely talked about in general, with the three already included being the only ones that seem to have a noticeable amount of popularity (though that might primarily be due to their inclusion).

Also, that trope is primarily for characters that aren't liked in America (or at least outside Japan), not characters that are massively popular in Japan. Contrary to belief, even the trope namer (Tingle) doesn't have overwhelming popularity in Japan (though his popularity is decent -- definitely more than Slippy), he just isn't passionately hated there. While Slippy might not annoy as many people in Japan, I still maintain that he has no overly-noticeable popularity in his series and especially in Smash discussion (though Krystal doesn't either).

aba1

Smash Apprentice
Lotta hate for Krystal here. I mean I get if you guys don't care for her or the potential character in smash she would bring but there is no need to be childishly hateful. I don't care for some character choices but I wouldn't hate on them simply based on that.

PMC66

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling in future smash games they might use star fox characters to bulk the roster out, so I thinkthere is a realistic chance of Slippy, Peppy, Krystal, Panther, Leon e.t.c. making it into the game.

I think the same might happen with Fire emblem theres alot of characters you could put into smash from fire emblem alone,

I don't think we'll see a mass amount of mario characters coming in the future though, because alot of the ideas for them would be scraping the barrell somewhat.

I hope they make a top tier bowser, out of everything that character deserves to be 1st in a video game so badly. The only game i can think of where he might be top tier is mario Kart64's battle mode because of his weight, letting him get balloons of everyone else with a boost.

aba1

Smash Apprentice
I hope they make a top tier bowser, out of everything that character deserves to be 1st in a video game so badly. The only game i can think of where he might be top tier is mario Kart64's battle mode because of his weight, letting him get balloons of everyone else with a boost.
I actually sorta agree it would be a interesting change of pace to have bowser be really powerful. They could make it so his moves can't be interrupted like in Brawl- or at least a few of them that would really help buff him while keeping him unique.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Bowser is the best character in Super Mario Kart, along with Donkey Kong Jr.

Slippy would work well in Smash, I think the image in the OP convinced me enough...

D

Deleted member

Lotta hate for Krystal here. I mean I get if you guys don't care for her or the potential character in smash she would bring but there is no need to be childishly hateful. I don't care for some character choices but I wouldn't hate on them simply based on that.
If by being "childishly hateful" you mean hate how her fanbase overstates how important she is to the series, claims she's the most derserving just because she has a magic stick and breasts, and bags on you for not supporting her, then I guess you can call me a childish hater.

aba1

Smash Apprentice
If by being "childishly hateful" you mean hate how her fanbase overstates how important she is to the series, claims she's the most derserving just because she has a magic stick and breasts, and bags on you for not supporting her, then I guess you can call me a childish hater.
I don't know much about that since I don't get into those sorta threads or groups but I do know that with all arguments of that nature it is better to be the bigger man and let it go.

OT: I have always been a fan of slippy so I would be very happy to have around. I really like the shield I would think it would be cool if it could be used to negate just one attack

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I can't speak for everyone when it comes to how much he/she likes Krystal. I don't hate Krystal but she's at the top of my most disliked nintendo characters. I honestly can't find a single reason to like her. But I can put my dislike aside and discuss her move set potential and her likeliness.

EDIT: Wow, my post is late. Thanks for the link N3ON. I'm gonna gonna try and translate the artists' description to see if he or she describes Slippy's specials from the top left corner image.

D

Deleted member

You weren't "being the bigger man and letting go", though.
No one was making an argument. People were just making their comments on Krystal in favor of Slippy.
Then for no reason, you complain about the hate Krystal gets and insult them by calling them childish haters.

Does it really matter that she gets hate? Does it really bother you enough to call out on it?
If you really wanted to be the "bigger man", you would have just shrugged it off and just have said the last sentence in your last post.

jigglover

Smash Lord
You weren't "being the bigger man and letting go", though.
No one was making an argument. People were just making their comments on Krystal in favor of Slippy.
Then for no reason, you complain about the hate Krystal gets and insult them by calling them childish haters.

Does it really matter that she gets hate? Does it really bother you enough to call out on it?
If you really wanted to be the "bigger man", you would have just shrugged it off and just have said the last sentence in your last post.
Change all of those shes to hes and that is the ultimate Waluigi argument.
You know what, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually liking the idea of Waluigi. My most wanted mario character is definitely Shy guy (if he is mario, but I think he's Yoshi), bowser junior, and then Waluigi third.

D

Deleted member

Waluigi likes this.

Now to stay on topic, Slippy may have "less than stellar battle skills" according to his Brawl Trophy, but I don't think that applies to weapon usage, which Slippy excells at. It applies to direct combat, which Fox and Falco are good at.

I only say this because I'm sure this will be an argument detractors will give.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
I'd honestly just be happy to have more heavy/slow characters be competitive. It's gotten better in Brawl with Snake and Wario being competitive, but most of the time it's the light fast characters that are the best.

Top Bottom