• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zeke/Julie from Zombies Ate My Neighbors in SSB!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman

Introducing Julie and Zeke

What?

Zombies Ate My Neighbors is a cult-classic on the Sega Genesis and SNES(now also on VC) where you have to defeat classic horror characters and save humans. You play as Zeke, Julie or both of them in co-op and use all sorts of crazy weaponry to achieve this goal.
Why?

They fit the theme of retro characters that get revived in SSB like Ice Climbers and Pitt. The game is on the Virtual Console and was a big success on it, so there certainly is a demand for these characters.

Strengths

- Their lighthearted and comical approach make them fit in the roster of SSB perfectly.
- They have a varied arsenal of weapons.
- They're still popular to this day.

Weaponry

- Holy water pistol
- Freezing fire extinguisher
- Weed Whacker
- Bubble gun
- Holy crosses
- Bazooka
- Acidic soda cans
- Throwable tomatoes and popsicles
- Silverware
- Flamethrower
- Pandora's Box
- Monster Potion
- Decoy Clowns

How?

There's a lot of options as to how they should be implemented, you could go the way of Ice Climbers by having them work together with one of them being controlled by an AI, they can be a tagteam where each of them have different abilities or simply have only one of them.

As far as moveset goes, as seen above, there are plenty of weapons to make good moveset out of. Most of these weapons are medium to short range so it shouldn't be too much of a problem to keep the in-your-face action of Smash with these characters.

Extra tidbits

Their jump move could be a trampoline appearing underneath them that shoots them back to the map/towards an opponent.

Final Smash could either be Pandora's box or more interestingly...GIANT DEMON BABY!

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
hell yeah they'd be awesome. probably won't happen but still awesome
Yeah, I know it's far to late to gain any traction for these characters to get in but I found it to be too good of an idea not to share it.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd argue while the game is popular, no one cares so much about THEM.

I don't think anyone really knows their names

Should Smash be about popular characters, or games?

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
I'd argue while the game is popular, no one cares so much about THEM.

I don't think anyone really knows their names

Should Smash be about popular characters, or games?
You're definitely right that the characters themselves aren't popular(though they do have a recognisable look), but the same could be said about the Ice Climbers or Pit. I never played Kid Icarus so before Brawl, I figured his name was "(Kid) Icarus" and I still don't know the real names of the Ice Climbers.

Point is, the game itself IS popular so if given the chance to appear in a game like SSB, the characters themselves could easily become known. All it would do is add names to characters people have probably already seen before.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Pit is not included in that category.

Pit has lived on his own without Kid icarus

Look at the series "Captain N" for example

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
Pit is not included in that category.

Pit has lived on his own without Kid icarus

Look at the series "Captain N" for example
I'm from the EU so I didn't know that show even existed. I do hope you get what I mean, there are plenty of characters that might not be as popular as the game they're in and I don't think they should be excluded because of that. Surely there are many other characters being suggested on this forum that aren't that famous out of context either.

@8-peacock-8
Cool, I'm not the only person to come up with this idea. I looked around on this forum for other threads about it but couldn't find any.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I'd love another set of tag team characters in smash. :)
Though wouldn't Julie and Zeke be 3rd party reps? They would unfortunately have to compete with several other 3rd party choices.

:phone:

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
I'd love another set of tag team characters in smash. :)
Though wouldn't Julie and Zeke be 3rd party reps? They would unfortunately have to compete with several other 3rd party choices.
Yeah... The rights to Zombies Ate My Neighbors are LucasArts' unfortunately. The good thing might be that they sold quite a lot of copies of the game on Nintendo's Virtual Console so they might be more willing to throw a bone.
It also helps that there is little competition in terms of other LucasArts games on Nintendo besides Indiana Jones and Star Wars, both of which don't fit into the theme of SSB and originate from movies. That means that if only 1 per third party thing is correct, the chances of the Zeke and Julie increase.
Lastly, they certainly don't feel out-of-place in Smash so the feel of Smash being first and foremost Nintendo isn't taken away by these two. Considering the characters are originally 2D, they can add that cartoonish Nintendo feel to them even more.

I know it's still a long shot but I believe they could really contribute to the game.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
they do get a small bonus because i had heard that there will be a Zombies ate my Neighbors movie so that does make them relevant again. and was one of the most downloaded Wii Virtual Console games.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, Sakurai said 3rd Party characters had to originate in a video game, he didn't say the franchise had to be a video game franchise. Loophole? :troll:
It would probably only help Starkiller and no one else, though.
I mean, TFU2 on the Wii had an exclusive multiplayer mode somewhat similar to Smash, though is claimed to have taken The Outfoxies as an inspiration as if to cover up.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, Sakurai said 3rd Party characters had to originate in a video game, he didn't say the franchise had to be a video game franchise. Loophole? :troll:
It would probably only help Starkiller and no one else, though.
I mean, TFU2 on the Wii had an exclusive multiplayer mode somewhat similar to Smash, though is claimed to have taken The Outfoxies as an inspiration as if to cover up.
I don't think anyone is waiting for Starkiller to be in a nintendo game, especially not after how utterly terrible TFU2 was(a repetative 6h singleplayer game for full price). It would also be expensive because it used the Star Wars franchise and a real actor's appearance and voice.

D

Deleted member

Not saying that people would wait for him.

Just saying he would stand the biggest chance if LucasArts had a character. :troll:
Not that they will get one, mind you.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
Not saying that people would wait for him.

Just saying he would stand the biggest chance if LucasArts had a character. :troll:
Not that they will get one, mind you.
Playstation can have him in their Smash clone, he doesn't fit in the more cartoony world of SSB anyways. Zeke and Julie fit much better in Smash's world because they aren't so super serious either.

D

Deleted member

He doesn't fit any worse than Snake or Samus.
Are you trying to tell me THEY are cartoonish?

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
He doesn't fit any worse than Snake or Samus.
Are you trying to tell me THEY are cartoonish?
Cartoonish might not have been the right word, but there's just certain feel to Nintendo games(*). Since they don't have the technology to be super-realistic, they usually opt for something that looks good regardless of the technology and always tend to go for more colourful games.

Snake fits because he doesn't fit and he's in the game because Kojima practicly begged for him to be in it. Having one of these characters in the game can work, but adding more would make it lose the original feel of it.

Star Wars just doesn't really fit in with the rest of the characters, just like Soul Calibur, Tekken etc. don't really fit into it.

(*) It isn't just Nintendo games, but they do consistantly try to maintain this theme.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
The only time we'll see a Star Wars character in a game like smash is if Microsoft does their own version since Knights of The Old Republic was an epic Xbox game.

Back on topic, yeah a LucasArts character is unlikely. Although, these two would still be awesome.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If they make a movie of this, I hope it's by someone who loves B movies.

This could make a good B movie.

It could be like a mixture of "They Live", "Evil Dead 2", etc.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
When I was a kid playing smash 64 my first impression of the Beam Sword was "Oh my god, this game's got Light Sabers!"

jigglover

Smash Lord
That was everybody's first impression. If someone who never heard about smash before and saw a beam sword and thought: 'Oh look! It's a beam sword!" Than he has troubles...

D

Deleted member

Either that, or he didn't know about Star Wars before he played Smash Bros., which is completely possible and logical.

D

Deleted member

What else would you call it?
Obviously not "lightsaber" given that we're talking about a hypothetical where the person does not know Star Wars.
Light Sword?
Laser Sword?
Glow Stick?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I thought of this when I was thinking of what I want for the next smash. but I think the final smash should be the purple monster potions

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I really doubt they will get into SSB4. And odd is that they would be "Lucasarts" reps instead of Konami ones lol. There could probably be the closest they could get to "Star Wars" characters in Smash... aside anyone from Manic Mansion lol.

But now that Star Wars belongs to Disney... does this mean Lucasarts as well and Zeke and Julie could be considered "Disney characters"?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Now that you mentioned Disney, it would be awesome if Disney and LucasArts worked together to make a Zombies Ate My Neighbors movie. :awesome:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I adore this game. Would love to see these guys in, but alas, there's even less chance of them happening since they are owned by both Lucasart (now DISNEY) and Konami (which will probably get Snake again).

So unfortunately these guys are beyond all hope and reach. :( However, it is always fun to discuss characters, and I adore this game. :) This is where zombie games' pinacle is at.

Moveset:
-B: Water pistol

-BV: Bazooka! (Recovery move) Hold to aim forward, but weight causes aim to lower very quickly until it's right below the character) The blast will send you the opposite direction of where it's aiming.

-B^: Soda can throw: Explosive "water" blast that damages and pushes enemies in a blast radius. (Gives a slight impulse too, like the Yoshi eggs)

-B>: Fire Extinguisher: Freezes opponent.

SMASH ATTACKS:
-Forward: Throwing Plate (a weak, but ranged smash attack)
-Down: Grass cutter around Zeke/Julie
-Up: Talisman shine upwards (burst of light which works like Zelda's uSmash)

GRABS:
-Uses the Martian Gun to encapsule enemies in a giant orange bubble.

FINAL SMASH:
-Monster Potion (turns into a furry purple beast with Hulk like strength) Cuases intense damage with fists.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Zombies Ate My Neighbors is one of my favorite SNES games of all time. I used to play it with my brother all the time. We managed to fight our way to the final level where we always get killed by the giant spider. If this game was Nintendo's IP, I'd love to see a stage based on the game... maybe the stage hazards could be UFOs zapping lightning bolts and a giant baby. :awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom