• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official P:M Edmonton Thread!

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0

Blatantly cp'd from the BC thread, how mad how mad.

I figured it would be a good idea to follow BC with their decision on making a thread directly focused on Project:M, but for Edmonton. We can use this thread to start developing our own legal stage list, striking and banning system, eventual Power Ranking, and everything else P:M related.

FIND US ON FACEBOOK
The Alberta Smash Bros Group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/albertasmash/

MISSION STATEMENT
It is our mission to unite the Edmonton Smash community under one roof through the game, Project:M. This game appeals to both the Melee and Brawl communities, making it very easy for us to use as a tool to unite and become one once again. For a long time, both communities have been separated and have ridiculed each other in the past. However, this will be no more, as we shall do everything in our power to bring our communities together into one big smash scene, and once again be one happy smash family again. It is also our mission to grow the community as much as possible by being very welcoming and accepting of new players. This includes talking to them, playing with them, helping them out, and just making them feel at home in this community. Thank you all for your cooperation in growing the Edmonton smash scene!

POWER RANKINGS
Project:M is still in it's infancy stages as far as tournaments go. Once we have more results to go by, a PR will eventually be formed. For now, please be patient as more tournaments roll by and we gather more sufficient data to create a PR. Thanks!

STAGELIST/RULES
This has been a hot-topic as of late and we need YOUR help to decide on an official AB stage-list that most people can agree on. It's probably not possible to make EVERYONE happy with one stage list, but we will do the best we can!

As of late, our stage-lists look like this:

Legal Stages for Doubles and Singles
Battlefield
Dracula's Castle
Dream Land 64
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Green Hill Zone (singles only)
Halberd
Kongo Jungle 64
Lylat Cruise
Metal Cavern (singles only)
Pokemon Stadium 1
Pokemon Stadium 2
Rumble Falls
SSE: Jungle (doubles only)
SkyWorld
Smashville
Temple/SkyLoft (singles only)
Wario Ware Inc.
Yoshi's Island Brawl
Yoshi's Story Melee

19 stages for singles
17 stages for doubles

Rules
Both players choose characters, double blind
7-8-1 Striking system for Doubles
8-9-1 Striking system for Singles
Winner picks character, Loser picks character
Winner gets 3 bans
Loser selects stage
Repeat

Striking system is recommended.
If players both agree, they can random from the list of legal stages, or select a stage manually.

TOURNAMENTS
This thread will keep you up to date with the latest tournament information, so subscribe to it so you can keep up to date.

Thanks once again everyone! Let's become one smash community again. Thank you BC for the general formatting.

Limeee

Smash Champion
first post :)

skyworld should not be neutral

:009:

EDIT: we should start with the stagelist we used at the tourney and build from there

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
That's what i have right now. Luke just wrote it down wrong that day.

I really am fond of the 3 strike rule, and it's cool to see BC is using it too.

I also don't think FD is a good starter either tbh Whats wrong with skyworld though?

Limeee

Smash Champion
skyworld is really big and some characters have trouble doing anything with the platform on the right side

i could see jiggs camping be very abusive on that stage, as well as any form of camping

ideally we get rid of that and FD and aside from that warioware is the only kind of non neutral seeming stage

EDIT: i guess dreamland is just as big tho, idk

Limeee

Smash Champion
we also need to play more smashfests at connors house :p

text me again when that is going down victor
whats the difference between temple and skyworld?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Once we start playing on the stages more we'll start to get a better feel for them.

The 3 bans won't be cumulative, so you can just ban the same 3 stages each time you won if you wanted to.

temple and skyworld are two pretty different stages? I dunno.

I asked connor to let me know when we can.

How decent is online project:m? lol

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Starters
Battlefield
Smashville
Pokemon stadium 2

The rest counterpicks

:phone:

Because i like it simple lol
i'm actually ok with this for starters tbh and we can avoid striking all together and just random it.

we'd have a pretty big stagelist for cp though, but we can just get rid of garbage ones that no one really likes like temple/skyloft, lylat, temple, etc.

does delfino not exist? o.o
gay

Also, made a little picture thing for us. Think it suits us quite well.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
welcome to project ike

where his sword beats everything and match ups and stages dont matter

Alphicans

Smash Hero
There are so many viable stages it's ridiculous. Delfino and halberd should both be added to the list. Lylat doesn't need to be singles only. I am honestly not sure how to tackle such a large stage list. I feel like it's gonna end up being obnoxious especially if we have 3+ bans.

I think we should start out with a stage list size comparable to like 2009 brawl, and add/remove as the game develops and the metagame expands. The stagelist atm is just too much imo.

T-block

B2B TST
i'm actually ok with this for starters tbh and we can avoid striking all together and just random it.

we'd have a pretty big stagelist for cp though, but we can just get rid of garbage ones that no one really likes like temple/skyloft, lylat, temple, etc.

gay

Also, made a little picture thing for us. Think it suits us quite well.
but it's pretty

wanna know a FANTASTIC WAY to work with this stage list?

strike down to three stages first

choose first stage out of the three in some way

play next two games on remaining two stages

yayyy

but t-block, that's DIFFERENT FROM WHAT WE USUALLY DO AARRRRGHGHFAJFSD

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
There are so many viable stages it's ridiculous. Delfino and halberd should both be added to the list. Lylat doesn't need to be singles only. I am honestly not sure how to tackle such a large stage list. I feel like it's gonna end up being obnoxious especially if we have 3+ bans.

I think we should start out with a stage list size comparable to like 2009 brawl, and add/remove as the game develops and the metagame expands. The stagelist atm is just too much imo.
Yeah, theres so many viable stages that i don't think adding whacky stages like delfino and halberd is necessary. The stage list is huge, so we can maybe we can just reduce it down to some very conservative stages much like BC

I don't think the 3 bans is that bad. We should try it out.

That's a pretty cool idea mike.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Oh I completely forgot about that system Mike. I remember like two years ago that idea was taken semi seriously in brawl. Weren't we close to implementing that in our monthlies at one point? Definitely think that's the best method for this game.

EDIT: Delfino and halberd are whacky but SSE jungle, draculas castle and green hill zone aren't? The **** man, don't have such clear "movement" bias

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Oh I completely forgot about that system Mike. I remember like two years ago that idea was taken semi seriously in brawl. Weren't we close to implementing that in our monthlies at one point? Definitely think that's the best method for this game.
if doing this will keep all our current stages i'd be down.

Would there be a way to start that kind of striking without initiating with a rock-paper-scissors

T-block

B2B TST
it's always been strongly advocated by those who support larger stage lists

it mitigates the strong swing effect of the CP, which a lot of people seem to have an issue with

it also marginalizes the overall effect of the more "radical" stages on the set, while still rewarding familiarity with a larger set of stages with advantaged striking

plus, i'm sure most people see that it's an elegantly "fair" system

literally the only downside is the logistical reason - that it takes a while to set up - but i'm sure we can manage

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
well you have my vote mike.

So with our 19 current stages, we just go strike 8, strike 8, and play it out on the last 3 stages?

How do we determine the the order we play those last 3 stages?

watch the last 3 stages to always end up being ps2, bf, and sv every time haha

T-block

B2B TST
strike further, one each

RPS to decide who strikes second is probably easiest

or we could get ambitious and try to work it out so that one player gets a slight advantage in striking down to 3, and then the other player gets a slight advantage in being able to strike the final stage to compensate

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
oh okay i get it.

it doesn't really matter who strikes first then, just 1 each and then playing on whatever stage is left eh?

T-block

B2B TST
well... it wouldn't matter if both players have perfect understanding of the game, and didn't have personal preferences

but if i prefer A > B > C, and you prefer B > A > C, then if i strike first we end up on B, whereas if you strike first we end up on A, so there are situations where striking second is better.

but yeah, that's the idea.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Is anyone interesting in doing a p:m tournament sometime in october?

we can implement our stage list rules as well as gather data for a PR

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Whenever the next tournament rolls around we will get an initial placing done.

I've heard of people doing like a round robin tourney for this, what do you think?

And a side p:m tourney after would be cool, like last time. Having Connors set up as a permanent p:m station or something.

:phone:

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Can I play too?

I hereby submit a claim to rename this thread to "The official P:M Edmonton + Bread Thread

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
if I'm hosting P:M I'd like your guys input on my stage list once I figure it out anyways

Stevo

Smash Champion
but it's pretty

wanna know a FANTASTIC WAY to work with this stage list?

strike down to three stages first

choose first stage out of the three in some way

play next two games on remaining two stages

yayyy

but t-block, that's DIFFERENT FROM WHAT WE USUALLY DO AARRRRGHGHFAJFSD
I'm actually kinda ok with this idea.

though I still think we should just keep it simple for the first little while. We don't know enough about the game to justify wasting 5-10 minutes every match figuring this **** out. in my opinion.

also, I approve the picture, and I approve of Brad contributing if he wants to

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Round robin is okay if we don't have that many entrants. Are you talking about doing top 8 round robin like melee-FC?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Is anyone opposed to Mike's rule set? If not I think we can run with it. I'm still not really sure about delfino and halberd though. We don't really need to add any radical stages just yet considering how many viable stages we seemingly have.

Can I play too?

I hereby submit a claim to rename this thread to "The official P:M Edmonton + Bread Thread
lolol if we can get together often enough for tournies and stuff i dont see why not
if I'm hosting P:M I'd like your guys input on my stage list once I figure it out anyways
ofc. Seems like everyone is in favor of mike's stage rule set?

I'm actually kinda ok with this idea.

though I still think we should just keep it simple for the first little while. We don't know enough about the game to justify wasting 5-10 minutes every match figuring this **** out. in my opinion.

also, I approve the picture, and I approve of Brad contributing if he wants to
I think thats just a time concern. We've already had two "tournies" as well as a bunch of friendlies/smashfests for a while now. I for one have gotten fairly accustomed too all the stages now.

Round robin is okay if we don't have that many entrants. Are you talking about doing top 8 round robin like melee-FC?
I'm actually not too sure, how did they do it for melee-fc?

I think round robin is honestly the best way to get an accurate PR without any theorycrafting.

Stevo

Smash Champion
it's not really about being accustomed to the stages, it's the fact that we don't really even know what stage is good in a certain matchup.

I mean, for the longest time people saw FD as a good stage for spacies because people had nowhere to hide from lasers.

I do concede that we all have a good understanding of things now, and if someone figures out an advantage on a certain stage with their character, they should be able to exploit that.

I'm just lazy lol

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
yeah thats true but the only way to get used to all the stages is to just run with it.

plus it's not fair to those who actually do have preferences on stages.

Once you've played Connor's bowser on a small stage or Brandon's sonic on a big one, you'll know full well what stage is good for what match up lololol

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
I like Mike's idea but agree we should favour *options* for the time being, if there is a disagreement we should allow a standard list thats "dumbed down" at least for legal stages, just to resolve conflict.

Stages that fly away should not be considered legal, as it can really mess up characters without a vertical recovery (believe it or not, Ike gets screwed hard by moving stages)

Counterpick though, because they're not BAD stages.

Regarding the PR, I think the PR is cool, but I don't think we should take it too seriously, we all know how those end up. Unless you guys want to appoint a board who can agree on these things or make it 100% information based but then we'd have to work together to make a formula (and actually put it into excel so we can't mess it up)

Stevo

Smash Champion
yeah thats true but the only way to get used to all the stages is to just run with it.

plus it's not fair to those who actually do have preferences on stages.

Once you've played Connor's bowser on a small stage or Brandon's sonic on a big one, you'll know full well what stage is good for what match up lololol
did I play Connor's Bowser? I don't remember now. I played a couple bowsers but I can't remember if one was his.

Bowser still loses to grab. and CC his ledge attack.

Matches with Connor's Bowser were hella hype lol

Top Bottom