• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A man can dream - An original character for Super Smash Bros. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I mean, why not?

I was thinking about this since Brawl. Back then there was Tabuu, a good villain, puppeteer-like, but not memorable if you ask me. Why? Because he didn't have a personality. He was mute, he was evil incarnated (lame) and wasn't that inspired. I mean, Master Hand and Crazy Hand were more deep than him lol... But that was OK, you kill him, who cares, let's move on. Since I really think Smash 4 will have a new story, Subspace Emissary-like (but hopefully better), I'm imagining a new villain from a lot of time. This is the story/character I came up with, tell me what you think.

Obviously this is absolutely out of the picture, I can't see Sakurai agreeing to do something like this, but I would love it.

Let's start with the basics. Since the first Smash come out, the feeling, the atmosphere of the game was that of a world where the characters were toys, controlled by something greater, a superior entity: Master Hand, or if you ask me, the player himself.
For a videogame, for a fighting videogame, that's a pretty original concept, not so bland as you can think.
Anyway, Melee didn't add up much to that, only the introduction of Crazy Hand. The Hands became simply the incarnation of creation and destruction (both were enemies though, no one knows why). Pretty lame, they kinda ruined it.
Then Brawl came, and Master Hand and Crazy Hand were surpassed by an even superior entity, Tabuu. It wasn't a bad idea, but as I already said at the beginning, it was pretty unoriginal and predictable. I don't like 100%-evil enemies.

Now let's forget about Tabuu, and hear me out. The villain of the new story mode in Smash Bros. 4 is a videogame fanboy. A player. It's the player itself. Obviously this won't ever happen for two reason: 1) It's very unlikeable to put the costumer as the "villain" of the game. Obviously anybody would see the irony of it, but it's still too much, especially for Nintendo. 2) It's probably too complicated for a fighting game which simply needs an average villain for beat the **** out of him and nothing more.
Still, I'm just messing around so who cares, let's pretend it's possible.

I'll talk first about his personality. The Videogame Fanboy (try some other names, I was thinking about an anagram for Fanboy or Nintendo, don't know, for now he's VF) is bipolar. He loves the characters of its favourite games (Smash's roster) but in the same moment he wants to use them how he prefers. The plot is about him trying to capture them for collection, and then to make his personal videogame. Nothing special, but I think it has the potential to be funny. He wouldn't be completely dark and evil as Tabuu, but more of a comic villain, protagonist of a lot of gags and things like that.

I imagine him as a fat, kinda short middle-aged man. Don't know why. He dresses up like an idiot, mostly using things taken from videogames. For example, he uses a powerglove, or a Wiimote like a light-saber. He has a Game Boy modified to aerial bombing. He has a Zapper to shoot people. Stupid things like that, but I think they're kinda funny. Obviously, since he would be a playable character after defeating the story mode, these would be also part of his moveset. He has an hat (a bowler obviously), maybe a monocle, and a cape. Too bad I'm not good at drawing or I would sketch him just for fun.

Obviously he controls both Hands. Heck, he IS both hands. That could be a plot twist in the end. Also, the fact that he is bipolar helps to serve the purpose: one of his personality is calm and reasonable, the other one (which comes when he's angry for something) is crazy and dangerous. Another plot twist would be that he was trying to capture the characters since the beginning, since Smash 64. His final smash would be, in fact, getting control of the Hands. He goes back in the setting like the Pokémon Trainer, floating in the air, and on the screen both Master and Crazy Hand appear, trying to kill the other characters.

What do you think? Obviously, this kind of character won't never appear in any Nintendo game. Simply the fact that he represents the player himself wouldn't be likeable. But who knows, I think Smash Bros. deserves to have a character, just one, which represents the series itself. Since Master Hand isn't playable, I thought of this one.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I thought that this was a thread about Tabuu being playable!
Anyway, the mii is kind of this character. Somebody who is meant to resemble you. I'd like it if the mii was included, not playable, but as a villain in story mode!

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Anyway, the mii is kind of this character. Somebody who is meant to resemble you. I'd like it if the mii was included, not playable, but as a villain in story mode!
Well, it is KINDA similar. It could work this way too, but they'll never advertise the Mii as a villain lol.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
While I'm not entirely opposed to the idea, it would have to be implemented really well for it to work and fighting games don't tend to be the best in creating backgrounds for characters. That said, SSB itself is becoming more popular than some of the series it gets their characters from so I could see them bringing in an entirely own character in SSB4 or 5. They already showed off some of their own creations in Brawl's singleplayer, which might have been prototypes to see how people would respond to their own characters.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Cool idea, but I don't really like your character because he wouldn't fit in with Nintendo too well.

splat

Smash Lord
I'm a tad confused - the original character you're talking of here, do you mean him as a playable character, or as a Tabuu-esque boss?

If it's the first option of the two, I'd rather see NSAF or a weakened Tabuu as playable.
If it's the second, I'd rather see Sakurai flesh out Tabuu. I think the design of him is quite nice and leaves enough room to craft him a proper backstory as to why and how he became what he is.

I wouldn't be all too surprised to see an original character at this point. We're up for Smash four, which means this series has more games than Earthbound.

In this topic, Mizzo actually came to mind.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I was thinking of a character like the Polygon Man (old playstation advertising mascot) when I read the title of the thread.

He represents the hands and claims to be a god.

Or how about a Super Robot (Nod to Superbot Entertainment) as a new original playable character and minor antagonist. :awesome:

:phone:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Yeah my character was just an idea, how I would see the thing if it actually will come out true.
That Mizzo reference... That would be truly awesome lol.

Glad to see that everyone agrees that an original character, not specifically mine, is possible.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I don't really dig the Nintendo Fanboy idea, but I do like the idea of a Smash Bros. exclusive character. Why not make him both a boss AND playable character? Set his AI to an extreme level or something, and instantly unlock him after completing story mode? Just a though I'm throwing around myself.

D

Deleted member

Original Character: Mizzo.

Look into your hearts, you know it to be true. :troll:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I once had a concept for an original character in Super Smash Bros. called Takeshi Long, based on the prototype phase of Super Smash Bros. called Dragon King: The Fighting Game. Basically the character would be a development gag of sorts referencing the prototype Dragon King that was planned to be a series of fighting games, with the character in question being a loose parody of characters from other fighting games such as Ryu from Street Fighter and Heihachi from Tekken.

The character would sport a dragon motif to further emphasis the Dragon King image and would be a character that focused on varies martial arts and attacks based on wind and water. Hypothetically he would be a character that would be effective at preforming combos with reasonable power but have poor knockback, mostly to mimic the gameplay of more traditional fighting games like Street Fighter.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
How about Non Specific Action Figure as the Story Mode Protagonist? If not then I like the Dragon King idea, with color palettes referencing the other fighters shown from the prototype.

D

Deleted member

Only problem I have with the Dragon King thing is that I can't envision him not looking like the various ninja of Mortal Kombat fame.
Particularly Ermac.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Lol these are great ideas too, I can see the scrapped off Dragon King character in an interesting storyline too (like the one in Epic Mickey).

Omega-Smasher

Smash Cadet
I wish Tabuu was the final unlockable character in the game. First, clear the Story Mode & you will witness a weird purple sphere at the plains. Enter it & you will fight against a horde of Subspace enemies. At the end of the stage, you will find Tabuu waiting for you. Defeat him to unlock him.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
why not a customizable Multi Man style character like a Polygon, a Wireframe, an Alloy or a new type?

it could borrow normal attacks from all playable characters and have unique special moves and Final Smash.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
That customizing idea could work.

Which ever new type of Multi-man team gets introduced this time. I'm hoping on a random generated Multi-Mii Team, if putting better usage for Mii's is decided for ssb4. I'd love to come across a Sakurai Mii that plays like Kirby or Metaknight.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I like the idea of non-specific action figure, hey, how about we call him Geoff from now on? Non-specific action figure looks like a Geoff.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I don't think this is completely unrealistic. I could imagine a character being added as the main protagonist of a Smash game, and build Story Mode around him.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice

This would be great. The game story builds up as the team of villains conspire, wario and wolf and ridley and ganondorf crossing and double crossing one and other with the implication of leader; a hidden higher power. It builds up and up, oddly similar to Brawl... until you realise they must be building up to tabuu's return. you shrug, get over it, see the big reveal coming a mile away. Suddenly, It's the moment of truth, the heroes gather round the as-yet unseen antagonist, you sigh waiting for the camera to pan to....

your litttle sister. Or you grandmother. Or Mr. T. Or you. Cackling away , all limbless and such. it#d be wonderful. These ones seem a bit more comical, so it could work.

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
So I know this topic may have already been discussed, and I did a quick search and didn't seem to find a thread for this. I know there are Primid fans out there, but they aren't what I am talking about. Hopefully people can add to the content in this thread. If I am wrong, please close this thread and point me in the right direction. Here goes my thoughts, though.

Out of all the best selling Nintendo series, there is one franchise that has yet to have a playable character in the game. That series? Super Smash Brothers. Confused? Stay with me here.

This may be a long shot, but hear me out. Super Smash Brothers is one of the highest selling, highest rated Nintendo series ever. It has won multiple awards, become a fighting game staple, and revitalized many dead/unknown/Japan-only series (Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus). Smash is the type of game that puts the entire gaming industry on watch simply to see who is going to make it into this entry. That is something very few games can do. Not only that, but each Smash brings about huge revenue for the company, both with the software sales AND the hardware sales associated with the game. With those kind of accolades, does it seem so farfetched to imagine an original character being thrown into the game? Isn't it possible that Smash can represent themselves in this series, as a Nintendo heavyweight? A character created solely for Smash, that may end up in other franchises in the future, similar in a way to how every other Nintendo character is received in Smash Bros?

I don't have any ideas about the character him/herself yet, but this idea can pave the way to a **** ton of cool concepts. For example, maybe there can be an extra story mode solely for him, to explain his backstory and how he got into the Smash Universe. Classic, Adventure, and __________'s Story. I think it would be a cool concept to see. Maybe this character can help explain the whole reason Smash is happening. We never truly known the reason, and this would be a good opportunity to help explain that to people. What started on the 64 as a mix of Nintendo characters fighting has evolved with each game to the point where a truly great story could be had here. As a competitive player, I never really get into games' stories. This one, however, has a chance to be something great.

What do you guys think? What are some character ideas, art, movesets, etc? How could Sakurai incorporate this into the Smash? Let me know what you guys think!

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
Dragon King comes to mind for me.

After all, it was what Super Smash Bros was supposed to be, before Sakurai had the Idea of adding Nintendo characters to it.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Dragon King comes to mind for me.

After all, it was what Super Smash Bros was supposed to be, before Sakurai had the Idea of adding Nintendo characters to it.

That'd be interesting to say the least. A nice call-back to the series' roots. Though the idea of a Smash original character could work if they did something similar with Roy's appearance in Melee. Seeing as how his game was released after Melee's release. But at least he was in an established franchise though. Having a character that hasn't been an official series yet, add them to smash, and then give them a chance to be the star of their own game.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
It would be great if Super Smash Bros itself had it's own playable character. The SSB series itself is 'represented' with stages, items and music, so why not a playable character?

An original character is probably the best choice to fulfil that purpose, the only real alternative being the fairly unpopular Tabuu.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
A long time ago I had an idea for an anthropomorphized master hand, basically a faceless sharp dressed man dressed in all white maybe wearing only one glove who's specials would all be toned down references to master hand's moves, since it'd be a way to finally have smash's main villain be playable without making people play as a giant floating hand(and it would make for a pretty cool boss fight if you killed master hand and then he turned into a normal smash character and the fight continued). Maybe he could have crazy hand as a semi clone. I can't say I'm at all attached to the idea anymore but it would be a possibility and master hand is probably the most recognizable smash character except for maybe sandbag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom