• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BETTER METHOD WITH SD Media Launcher, more stable and very few annoying sounds

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
In the past, Super Smash Bros. Melee hacks that have been loaded through SD Media Launcher often got really annoying sound bugs and crashed every 5 matches or so. After doing some research, taking recommendations, it is safe to say this method is much more stable, as I gone through 50 matches without crashing (but these were 1v1). I have tested my hacked dol, costumes, and stage hacks and there weren't any crashes. Also with this method menu lag and sound bugs have been reduce by a bit, but you can have an option to mute those sounds now.

This method involves using Swiss 0.3, a 2GB SD card, a SSBM iso, a Gamecube or Wii, a PC that gan run GC-Tool and GC rebuilder, and an SD Media Launcher.

1. You need an iso of SSBM, Google is your friend.

2. Prepare all SSBM hacks in someplace you'll remember.

3. Hack the iso. Modified guide originally by RoyalSyrup
[COLLAPSE="Tutorial"]So the first thing we need is our tools for Making a Hacked Melee iso, so download this tool pack here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pql974cqcxhecsf/Tools.zip
After you have downloaded those, open the Tools zip and extract it somewhere that is easily accessible, because you will be using it later.

in the tools folder, start up Gc-tool.exe go to File, and select: Open GC-iso. locate your iso and click ok.

Note: If you can't find your iso, try selecting all files where it says File types.

If you want to use a hacked dol, do it now. Go to tools on Gc-tool and select: Replace dol

Locate your Melee: SD remix files, there should be a main.dol file there click on it and press ok .

Go to ISO in gc-tool and select: Extract whole ISO. Choose your directory and check the box that says: Also Extract Header, Apploader, DOL, and TOC then click: Extarct.

After its done you should have a folder called: Root, this has every file in the Melee iso, now close Gc-tool.
Now find where you put your hacked Melee files, and put all of the files (except for main.dol, Game.toc, Start.dol, AppLoader.ldr, ISO.hdr, and any .hps or .ssm files) in the root of the root folder. Add hacked audio files in the Audio folder and same applies here.

It's time to rebuild the ISO!

Start up Gcr.exe Go to root on GCr and select: Open, go and locate the root folder, click on it and press ok.

Go to root again and select: save, and choose your directory and name your iso, then click ok, then go to root AGAIN and select rebuild, it well now start rebuilding the iso, after its done rebuilding, you should have an iso where ever you put it. And now your done![/COLLAPSE]
4. Download Swiss 0.3 and extract it onto your SD card, remember not SDHC, along with your newly hacked copy of Super Smash Bros. Melee.

5. Boot up SD Media Launcher and select and load Swiss 0.3.

6. Select the option SDGecko then select the hacked Melee file.

7. OPTIONAL! Before you go on and load the iso, you can change video mode and widescreen hack and etc. But select yes for "Try to mute audio stutter." After you are done select save and exit.

8. Enjoy.

NOTES:
  • Haven't tested everything possible, but will test more later.
  • Not confirmed to be 100% stable yet and annoying noises aren't reduced to zero.
  • Also when skipping the intro, pressing start at the titlescreen, and loading the CSS, there will be some lag, but there is NO LAG OR SOUND ERROR during the match.
  • Also the announcer may not call the names of characters and places in the main menus the game will mute the BGM.
  • Don't complain on this thread if it crashes after 500 matches and say SDML failed, because I warned you beforehand.
  • Loading a burned iso is still the safest method to get these hacks running through the Gamecube.
  • I will also upload gameplay using this method in the future.
  • Swiss is meant to be used for the Wii, but works on Gamecube too.
  • There's a 576p mode if you're interested testing out, never used a flatscreen for Melee so can't tell you how well it works or if it reduces input lag.
  • Widescreen mode works just like the widescreen hacks in Dolphin Emu.
  • Old method for those who are curious.
Burned iso vs. SD Media Launcher:
Burned iso gives no menu lag, not audio stutters, and is 100% stable GUARANTEED, but wastes discs. SDML allows you to modify the iso and replace it anytime and it saves you some DVDs, but has menu lag and some audio stutter and has no confirmed stability. So you can pick which one you want.

If you have any questions, complaints, or additions to these articles, you can PM me about it. Also please test this method, this'll improve the article in the future.

[COLLAPSE="Hacks that crashed or failed to load properly!"]None so far, bound to change though.[/COLLAPSE]
Some thanks:
VietGeek, for mentioning Swiss-GC.
RoyalSyrup, for writing the original hacked iso tutorial.
"emu_kidid", creator of Swiss and making it compatible with SDML.

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
Yea its Swiss, I've been using it for a while lol, but never really liked hearing those obnoxious noises. Ever since I got the game running at fullspeed on dolphin I tested the hacks there and when I felt that the iso was ready I burnt it to a DVD. But good**** on informing the others that don't know about it. :D

Edit: I tried SD-Boot too but after using it, I wanted to search for a alternative and thats how I found Swiss.

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
Yea thanks, I guess it's new to everyone else though. Looks like I'm the first to inform people here.

Crap, I misspelled "METHODD" can I change that somehow?

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
I just notice that they updated it seeing that the swiss thread was posted in 2012, the last Swiss I had iirc was 0.2 and I downloaded that around late or mid 2011. I gonna have to check this one out. It might have gotten way better.

EDIT: The first post you made will have a EDIT button at the bottom. Click that. You'll get to the 1st edit screen. Click the Go Advanced button to get to the advanced edit screen Change your title, and save.

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it's that much better in terms of loading time, but some of the new settings features are definitely a nice touch. Plus the "try to mute audio stutters" option is a huge improvement.

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it's that much better in terms of loading time, but some of the new settings features are definitely a nice touch. Plus the "try to mute audio stutters" option is a huge improvement.
The version I had I know "for sure" didn't have that feature. I'm def checking this out tomorrow.

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
Ahhh I see thanks :)
Anyways you can fix the thread title by going to "edit post" on the very first post you made which created this thread. After that Click "Go Advanced", and in that section you should see a text box labeled "title:", then click save. I posted it in my second previous post, but I don't know if you seen it lol.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Yeah pretty sure the latest Swiss-GC is much cooler than the previous versions. :p

this is where sd remix got started haha

i'm shameless

obv :012:

randomguy737

Smash Rookie
Has anyone tried the SD Media Launcher with a high-speed rated card, e.g. Class 10? I'm looking at it and I'm wondering if that will fix the freezing. It apparently fixes similar sound glitches on dios mios lite booting on the wii.

Or the bottleneck could be in the gc memory card read rate, I don't know.

Top Bottom