• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Digimon for SSB4 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Due to the arguments that are exploding over the general roster discussion thread, this needs to be made.

I'm not a supporter of Digimon character (I'm neutral on this), but here, you can discuss Digimon in Smash to your hearts content.

There, now stop flooding the general roster discussion thread with Digimon.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Please no. No.
The only thing worse than a Digimon in Smash is a manga/anime character like Goku or Naruto.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
im a huge fan of digimon and id love to see one smash (even though i dont think it's going to happen)

obviously, due to the rules of smash we need a digimon from the orginal virtual pet and not have much stuff from the anime

there fore the best candidate i'd say would be agumon with his final smash being metalgreymon

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Worst character OP. Need improvements. Add some pictures from Digimon Rumble Arena and showcase some of the aspirants for the people who aren't familiar with Digimon.

Personally, I really liked Digimon Rumble Arena for PS1. I can see Agumon being in the game, or the unicorn bear (Gabumon, he was my favourite character).

Since Bandai made Digimon Rumble Arena (and the sequel), a Digimon character being included isn't too far-fetched.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Digimon was a game before an anime so it's just as likely as any of other character. though the chances are slim. Agumon would be the best choice, but yes i would most wanna see Gabumon or Patamon.
and for those who think they couldn't work here's a link of Digimon Rumble
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcQJYDwBIa0
quality sucks but what can you do.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd prefer Agumon the most, if only because he has enough variations for costumes. The most obvious ones are Snowagumon(White) and Blackagumon(...duh).

The others don't even have a high amount of variation.

And yes, please stop the uninformed "was an anime" first. It was a handheld video game similar to the Tamigotchi first, which you could raise the pet, and connect with other people. It came wayyyy before Pokemon. Likewise, the first video game on the Sega Saturn was out a year before the anime too. It did not start as anything beyond an electric game no matter what. It's viable under all conditions.

And no, we do not need to add a giant amount of Pokemon when one Digimon being added is just as good. Digimon was far more unique to a degree anyway. Beyond the similar named mons, it actually didn't concentrate on expies all that much. It also covered far more different cultures/religions with the various mons without going overboard.

Likewise, it has a slew of character as well as great Assist Trophy choices.(the Dark Masters, for instance, could do well)

As for Agumon's Final Smash, I'd like him to go into Wargreymon(or the expies of him depending his costume). If not that, there's his "Burst Mode" from the end of Savers/Data Squad, where he flies likes an angel and is covered in an Aura.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
And yes, please stop the uninformed "was an anime" first. It was a handheld video game similar to the Tamigotchi first, which you could raise the pet, and connect with other people. It came wayyyy before Pokemon.
no it didint pokemon red and green first came out in 1996 and the digimon virtual pet came out in 1997

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
no it didint pokemon red and green first came out in 1996 and the digimon virtual pet came out in 1997
To be fair, few considered Red and Green to count.

But touche.

Regardless, Digimon has fought against Pokemon for ages.(until slaughtered)

They'd be a fun Bandai addition. And unlike most of Bandai's series, was a game first. XD

jigglover

Smash Lord
XD I think he meant in quality and play value. I personally hate Digimon, it was an attempt to copy Pokemon and it failed, and unless Digimon started production about 1989 then it did copy pokemon! I mean, all of the names end in 'mon', come on ...mon! Go get 'em ...mon! Too much! The only character I am more against is Mii!

Edit: Red and green doesn't count? 'Few consider Red and Green to count.' I assume this is because it is japanese only, so Marth and Ness (in 64) are super smash bros. characters who got their own series. Right, I get it now.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Digimon did not copy Pokemon at all. The only thing it copied at best was Tamagotchi. They really aren't that much alike, nor are any of the games.

The only thing in common is their base name Digi-Mon and Poke-Mon and how they have longer names. That's... it.

They don't even have similar mons, similar styles of evolution, or anything. No copying was done. Pokemon did copy the Breeding style from Dragon Quest Monsters(albeit, not entirely). Digimon did "eggs" first, and actually could fuse.

They're hardly similar.

And I meant that few didn't even knew Red and Green existed so thought Digimon came out first as a non-glitchy series. Obviously Pokemon came first, no denying that.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I've only played the first digimon, for me, the first one must be the best, if it's good I carry on with the series, if it's crap I don't, unless it makes a game which is 'legendary' or something. And there were some ideas of breeding in pokemon red and green I believe, but the developers couldn't implement it either due to the game-boy's capacity or getting it to work smoothly. So that is either a coincidence or yet another steal in the gaming industry. It must be said, why fill up the roster with little(r) known digimon when there are still hundreds of pokemon, like Altaria. I'm sure Altaria is more popular than Tamagotchi. Bear in mind I do not know who or what Tamagotchi is.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, that just means they didn't steal the idea from Dragon Quest, that's all. But Dragon Quest didn't steal it either.

However, it was implemented similar to how Dragon Quest was, including the Egg Moves.

And no, putting in random lesser Pokemon instead of one Digimon is silly. Altaria is not honestly a better choice than Agumon, a major character.

They're one slot. Pokemon will have other slots, but it's not a relevant reason to avoid putting a Digimon in. The point is "Digimon vs Pokemon" here. The biggest reason they want them in.

There's also the factor of "What video game series does Bandai even have?" beyond Digimon, so... it's a far better choice than just adding yet another non-important Pokemon.

Altaria isn't even on Pichu level of importance. -_-

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Meh, I severely doubt a Digimon would get in, I'm not sure if they'd be a good fit for Smash either. Of course, ironically by my avi, I wouldn't be against the idea though.

Nice to see people are pulling the old Pokemon vs. Digimon stuff again. :facepalm:

To maybe set things straight:
1. They didn't copy each other. The differences/similarities between each series is like comparing Zelda to Startropics, or Final Fantasy to Earthbound.
2. Pokemon had the better games.
3. Digimon had the better cartoon.
4. Everything else is a stalemate together with Yugioh. lol

Also PS All Stars is a rip-off of Rumble Arena (and isn't as good either). :troll:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
SSB at best ripped off Virtual Fighter. :p Especially since it used similar character designs in the original design of the game, being Dragon King Fighter.

Anyway, yes, the only relevance between Pokemon and Digimon is that they're battling series.

I doubt Bandai would bother asking, which is why I see a Namco character more likely. However, it's a fan thing; If the latest Digimon series(Xross) and the new game go off well, it could become high, making it a bit easier for it to get in.

Anybody got ideas for Agumon beyond the whole "costumes and Final Smash" that I mentioned earlier?

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
ssb and PS allstars being a rip off? Not really, but I guess as far as rip offs wouldn't ssb64 be a rip off of Outfoxies? And speaking of Digimon...

Pure furry bliss.:troll:

:phone:

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
as far as costumes are concerned, i mean all we should really do is pallet swaps. his standard orange, Red, Blue, Green, White, and black here i made a swap. the blue's a little harsh but you get the idea.
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/bwilson/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Agumon%20pallet%20swap.jpg

i still have no idea how to post pictures lol

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Digimon are awesome.

The series was well thought up from it's creators and ACTUALLY gave the characters interesting personalities. They actually had logical arguments with eachother on how to move through their situation.

It was REALLY well thought out considering it was made just to advertise little tomagotchi's.

META GREYMON! Is the most awesome digimon of all, and I would love to play as him in SM4SH

For those that need convincing that Digimon is awesome, watch JO's digimon review http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/ir/jo/jar?start=30

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/bwilson/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Agumon%20pallet%20swap.jpg
LOL

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Considering that my love for Digimon died since a few years ago, I think I'll give this a miss. :/

jigglover

Smash Lord
Well, that just means they didn't steal the idea from Dragon Quest, that's all. But Dragon Quest didn't steal it either.

However, it was implemented similar to how Dragon Quest was, including the Egg Moves.

And no, putting in random lesser Pokemon instead of one Digimon is silly. Altaria is not honestly a better choice than Agumon, a major character.

They're one slot. Pokemon will have other slots, but it's not a relevant reason to avoid putting a Digimon in. The point is "Digimon vs Pokemon" here. The biggest reason they want them in.

There's also the factor of "What video game series does Bandai even have?" beyond Digimon, so... it's a far better choice than just adding yet another non-important Pokemon.

Altaria isn't even on Pichu level of importance. -_-
It has to be said, I don't, well, anything about Bandai, but a quick check on wikipedia and apparently they made chibi-robo (source wikipedia), We can all agree chibi-robo has a better shot than ....mon, can't we. Altaria is very important, it's on the extremely short list of dragon/flying types that you can use in a regular team in pokemon! :troll: Seriously though, 'Altaria isn't even on Pichu level of importance.' Yes, this is true, Pichu is pretty damn important. 5 reasons Pichu is important:
1) Various Pichu brother shorts.
2) Large role in Arceus and the jewel of life.
3) Had a whole event dedicated to it, which actually builds up Silver's back-ground.
4) Had a change on it's body while keeping the same on it's normal Pichu, spiky-eared Pichu. This is the only pokemon to do so.
5) Only the starring and most important role in the 2010-release Pokemon ranger: Guardian signs, the newest installment in the pokemon ranger series.

These are the reasons why I think Pichu actually has a pretty good shot at returning, I mean, without hurting itself and with a completely different set to Pikachu, possibly implementing the ukelele, and yes, Pichu is more important than Pichu.

Oh, and Pokemon and Digimon are battling series', even if they aren't entirely similair, they're close enough to be endlessly compared with each-other and obvious rivals. You can easily compare them in chances for smash.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It has to be said, I don't, well, anything about Bandai, but a quick check on wikipedia and apparently they made chibi-robo (source wikipedia), We can all agree chibi-robo has a better shot than ....mon, can't we.
well yes, nintendo own chibi-robo so of course his chances are better

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I have some pretty nice memories of Gomamon. And now I realize that he's Digimon's Aquaman...

...I guess that seals the deal.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
I have some pretty nice memories of Gomamon. And now I realize that he's Digimon's Aquaman...

...I guess that seals the deal.
OMG i never thought about it. his only skills are that he can swim and he commands fish. that sucks, i really liked him too lol.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
At least he can turn into Walrein Ikkakmon, and then Zudomon. He essentially goes from Aquaman to Thor/Hephaestus.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
in the games his mega form is like a Viking so that's kind of cool. Vikemon i think his name is. though I'll admit, he looks kind of "special"

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@jigglover: My point was that your suggestion really didn't serve to help your cause. I get your argument, but I don't find it good enough.

Not allowing an entire series because another Mon series in is pointless.

Chibi-Robo would be great to get in, but apparently it's not third party so that wouldn't really have much of an effect on Digimon's chances. When I say Bandai, I mean their clear 3rd Party games.

And yes, Agumon is the main mon. He's had too many remakes/edits/expies overall. Veemon is already a partial expy of him, instead.

Agumon is the main Mon of Digimon. And technically the Greymon family is too. Albeit, outside of a Series(didn't show up in 03 at all, albeit, they're mentioned, and the Guilmon/Growlmon stuff is clearly based upon the original Agumon line). They're all expies of the Agumon line to an extent.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i mean in order of importance and popularity it probably goes Agumon, Patamon/Angemon, then Gabumon or Leomon. like Hyperfalcon said there's a variation of Agumon in every series and the same can be said of Angemon and Leomon. but Gabumon is still seen as Agumon's 1 true rival so that would speak volumes. But there are the Video Game exclusive Digimon like Lunamon and Coronamon

D

Deleted member

When you look at Digimon, you have to look at ones that debuted in the games, not the anime.

By which, Agumon is the definite choice. However, no WarGreymon, as WarGreymon debuted in the anime first.

So perhaps a Digivolving system where you start as Agumon, then can Digivolve into Greymon after certain requirements are met (not Final Smash), then further Digivolve into the virus MetalGreymon would be best suited.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
When you look at Digimon, you have to look at ones that debuted in the games, not the anime.

By which, Agumon is the definite choice. However, no WarGreymon, as WarGreymon debuted in the anime first.

So perhaps a Digivolving system where you start as Agumon, then can Digivolve into Greymon after certain requirements are met (not Final Smash), then further Digivolve into the virus MetalGreymon would be best suited.
I am not a fan of WarGreymon, and I fully support your Virus MetalGreymon idea

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, I don't see anyone beyond Agumon have a good chance to get in. Especially if they go by the Game stuff.

I mean, Myotismon was not a bad guy, but Metalgreymon was. And that's just Digimon World 1. Who knows what they could come up with?

And yes, his last form is Vikemon.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
agreed, maybe a special bar is put right under his damage percentage and when that fills he can digivolve by pressing down special or something.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If I had to choose a second choice, I'd go for Tentamon

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Or a Final Smash. I'd probably go with my earlier idea of the various Wargreymon expies, or just remake the original Warp Digivolution scene(have it a cutscene).

The thing about having a scene for each one is that it doesn't get stale. On the other hand, a scene for each one that specifies Warp Digivolve, Double Warp Digivolve... it gets confusing.

To note, I like Double Warp Digivolve myself, if only because Warp Digivolve was almost meant to skip one level and go to the one above it. True Digivolution was the actual Rookie to Mega(or sometimes to Ultimate) in the original Japanese version.(this is noted in the second TCG where they specify that)

Also, Wargreymon and its expies still appear in the video games. Stuff from the animes(etc.) can still be put in the game if the main character is in. They used Pikachu's Thunder Jolt from the original anime(where it was still said as Thundershock, but did a little jolt) and the TCG misname of Thunderbolt to Thunder Jolt and all.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
yeah i'd say he turns to Wargreymon, fights for a short period of time, then de-digivolves all the way back to Agumon. yes i know that Wargreymon first appears in the anime but it would be impossible not to take some influence from the anime when making a moveset for him. just like how some people want Pikachu to know Iron Tail in the next game.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It could digivolve from Augumon, to Greymon, to MetalGreymon during battle, but it's final Smash could be WarGreymon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom