• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dragon Quest Character Discussion Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman

Out of the three major long-running third party JRPG series, Dragon Quest is by far the one with the strongest ties to Nintendo platforms and its huge popularity in Japan makes it a perfect candidate for Smash Bros. representation. And Dragonball fans, this is probably your best chance to play as an Akira Toriyama character. ;)

Here's a few character ideas to get the discussion started;

Slime

The mascot of the series could have a diverse moveset thanks to its moprhing properties.

Hero (Dragon Quest III and IV)

Magic sword users. They're some of the more popular heroes and the female versions could make the roster less of a sausagefest.

Torneko (Dragon Quest IV)

A very popular party member (has an entire spinoff series dedicated to him) Torneko is a merchant that could fight in unconventional ways. Think a heavier Peach with an even larger arsenal of items.

Hero (Dragon Quest V)

My personal favorite. Popular, has a unique appearance, rides a magic carpet, fights with a staff or whip and his status as a monster tamer would let him call upon his critters for certain attacks.

Hero (Dragon Quest VII, IX and X)

What's interesting with these guys is their ability to change classes, which could translate to a unique moveset with different weapons.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The female warrior has some great armor. But she might be wearing a little much

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
I'm always up for more franchises being thrown in the mix, Dragon Quest is very deserving but it has the problem that it doesn't have a memorable protagonist and Slime seems to lack personality.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I only like Slime because of MSM. But, if any of them get in, it would be slime. I'd like to combat a sentence in the OP: Out of the three major long-running RPG series, Dragon Quest is by far the one with the strongest ties to Nintendo platforms and its huge popularity in Japan makes it a perfect candidate for Smash Bros. representation.
I thought the 3 major RPG series' were Pokemon, Dragon quest and Paper Mario. Of which, Pokemon (obviously) has a better chance along with some more obscure pokemon than Slime, likewise Paper Mario.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
I would love Slime to be in the game. (Rocket specifically)

He would be top tier. :troll:

:phone:
Nice Slime moveset!

@Reyson: Pretty much any Dragon Quest protagonist is incredibly popular and iconic in Japan, more so than Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts characters. And since Sakurai didn't think twice about including relatively obscure guys like Lucas in Brawl, I'm sure that he wouldn't mind seeing a character from one of his favorite series[/quote] make an appearance.

A Smash Bros. rep could also help the series become more popular in the West, which is something that Iwata mentioned as part of the exclusivity deal.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
I thought the 3 major RPG series' were Pokemon, Dragon quest and Paper Mario. Of which, Pokemon (obviously) has a better chance along with some more obscure pokemon than Slime, likewise Paper Mario.
Nah, but I can see why you'd think that way if you're not extremely familiar with the genre.

The three old-school Japanese role-playing franchises that are still relevant today are Dragon Quest (1986), Megami Tensei (1987) and Final Fantasy (1987). The first laid out the blueprint for the genre and remained a consistent million seller in its homeland since. Megaten is viewed by many as the first RPG with an extensive monster collecting mechanic, along with other innovations (a mature story, multiple endings). While not as popular as the other two, it remains successful today with games like SMT, Persona and Devil Survivor. Final Fantasy pioneered elaborate storytelling and became a hit in the West.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
To be honest, I'd rather have a Megami Tensei rep (Jack Frost) over FF and DQ.

Too bad it won't happen.

Still want Slime though.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, I'd rather have a Megami Tensei rep (Jack Frost) over FF and DQ.

Too bad it won't happen.
Haha, same here. I wanted to make a Megami Tensei thread at first but a Smash rep isn't really a move that makes sense for Nintendo or Atlus. Plus, it doesn't seem like a very popular series around here.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Haha, same here. I wanted to make a Megami Tensei thread at first but it didn't seem like move that wouldn't make sense for Nintendo or Atlus. Plus, it doesn't seem to be a very popular around here.
Might as well just make a thread dedicated to Jack Frost then since he's the only Megami Tensei character that has a chance. :laugh:

I guess Slime or Black Mage would do. :laugh:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I have never heard of this magami tensei thingy

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
it's an RPG series... I know little about it. you might want to Google it.

as for Dragon Quest, they have already crossed over with the Mario series several times and like the OP states, it has strong ties with Nintendo. there've been lots of Dragon Quest games on Nintendo consoles, perhaps more than Final Fantasy. it's popularity in Japan also helps.

as for which character could make in, the best would be Slime, as it's the mascot of the series, much like Mario or Pikachu for their respective franchises.

on a side note, the characters really look like Dragon Ball characters. justified, as it's the same artist.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Yeah, Slime would be the most likely. (Honestly, Slime will either be a playable character or an assist trophy. Either way, he's still getting in if DQ gets a playable rep)

it's an awesome and RPG series made by ATLUS.

IMO, it's better than both Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. (DQ and FF are awesome also)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Even though, I never played Dragon Quest as much as Final Fantasy, I'd say Slime over all because he's unique in terms of abilities and cute. :3

A Kirby vs. Slime fight would be hilarious and epic for obvious reasons.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Even though, I never played Dragon Quest as much as Final Fantasy, I'd say Slime over all because he's unique in terms of abilities and cute. :3

A Kirby vs. Slime fight would be hilarious and epic for obvious reasons.
Slime Vs. Pac-Man: Battle of creepy smiles.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Nah, but I can see why you'd think that way if you're not extremely familiar with the genre.

The three old-school Japanese role-playing franchises that are still relevant today are Dragon Quest (1986), Megami Tensei (1987) and Final Fantasy (1987). The first laid out the blueprint for the genre and remained a consistent million seller in its homeland since. Megaten is viewed by many as the first RPG with an extensive monster collecting mechanic, along with other innovations (a mature story, multiple endings). While not as popular as the other two, it remains successful today with games like SMT, Persona and Devil Survivor. Final Fantasy pioneered elaborate storytelling and became a hit in the West.
Oh right! :embarrass: Thinking about it I've only played Pokemon (though extremely competitively) and FF in the RPG genre! Like others, I too have never heard of Megami Tensei or anyway subsequent games. Although I think of those 3 series' Slime has the best chance! :D But I would die for Moogle! :mad:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Seeing Dragon Quest love on this board warms my heart, it truly does. For anyone who knows me, I've been a proponent of a Dragon Quest/Slime cameo in Super Smash Bros for a long time now. I could go on a long schpeel about the series and its relationship with Nintendo, but I'm too lazy to type that much right now and regurgitate my talking points. Instead I'll just comment on Dragon Quest stages.

I've always been a big fan of Zenithia as a potential Dragon Quest locale [so much so it was the subject of one of my stage concepts]. Another idea would be to go with a locale from the most recent, and thereby most easily recognized, Dragon Quest X. While I have yet, and probably never will, to play Dragon Quest X, I'm sure there are some good areas within Astortia. Really though I'm good with just about anything as long as any stage retains the cel-shaded art style that makes the series such a good fit with the other Nintendo worlds.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If you all are seriously wanting a character beyond Slime, everyone should look at Terry. Master swordsman in Dragon Ques1 VI, and hero monster herder in Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D. I could see him being a monster summoning swordsman easily.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm wondering what they are going to do with Dragon Quest 10 in America.

I gave up on $15 a month games long ago. They never felt worth my time or money

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'm wondering what they are going to do with Dragon Quest 10 in America.

I gave up on $15 a month games long ago. They never felt worth my time or money
My gut tells me it won't make it over here. A struggling franchise outside of Japan, and a genre that appeals to a very small group, with a game that already alienates a large portion of their fanbase, does not exactly compel Nintendo of America to localize the game (because Square Enix sure won't). Dragon Quest VII for the 3DS will probably be a different story altogether.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Shame, it does look interesting. I really would have rather just had a normal dragon quest title though.

I do want some more turn based RPG's.

Pokemon Black and White 2 can only hold me for so long. (...I'm not a fan of this gen for some reason. I played last gen forever)

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
A good normal Dragon Quest game might be able to pick up the old school Final Fantasy fans that have become disenfranchised with the way the latest FF games have been.
I don't really see an MMO doing that well on consoles in the West though. The genre itself is dying out along with its biggest hit(WoW), none of the "revolutionary" new MMOs turned out be that good and they certainly weren't the cashcows that the execs thought they were going to be. They're simply too expensive and too risky for almost any company. People are sick of WoW but there isn't anything better on the market because it's impossible to keep up with a game that has an 8(?) year headstart.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
A good normal Dragon Quest game might be able to pick up the old school Final Fantasy fans that have become disenfranchised with the way the latest FF games have been.
I don't really see an MMO doing that well on consoles in the West though. The genre itself is dying out along with its biggest hit(WoW), none of the "revolutionary" new MMOs turned out be that good and they certainly weren't the cashcows that the execs thought they were going to be. They're simply too expensive and too risky for almost any company. People are sick of WoW but there isn't anything better on the market because it's impossible to keep up with a game that has an 8(?) year headstart.
Also take into consideration the fact that the game would be coming out for a dying system that is about to be replaced, and even the new system itself will not have near the user base to support a game of its kind (MMO). But, as I said previously, the West will probably get the Dragon Quest VII remake for the 3DS. Not only is it a main line entry that never was on a Nintendo console, additionally, Europe never had Dragon Quest VII localized, so for them, it is an opportunity to play the game for the first time.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wasn't Dragon Quest X also being released on the wii-u?

jigglover

Smash Lord
Shame, it does look interesting. I really would have rather just had a normal dragon quest title though.

I do want some more turn based RPG's.

Pokemon Black and White 2 can only hold me for so long. (...I'm not a fan of this gen for some reason. I played last gen forever)
Yeah, I'm spending so much time on pokemon battle simulators right now. I think I'll try dragon quest when the next title comes out.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Wasn't Dragon Quest X also being released on the wii-u?
Yes, but as I stated previously, there won't be the kind of user base on the Wii U to support an MMO community. When there isn't a user base, it makes all of the money spent on maintaining servers, translation/localisation and DLC a waste of money. Nintendo got burned with Fortune Street and Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Joker, so I think they are going to be more discerning about which Dragon Quest titles they invest their time and money into.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's a darn shame that DQ8 was on the PS2 I feel it has alot of Smash potential.

This. Yangus was my favorite character from Dragon Quest VIII. Loved his character design, personality, and stats. Oh, well... there's always hoping for a 3DS remake, though a HD remake for the Wii U would be sweet. :awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom