• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MIOM - Melee Podcast - coming soon :(

Scar

#HarveyDent
Episode 7 tonight!!!

Discussion thread here!

New format and new topics to discuss! Get ready for Melee It On Me - Episode 2: Pain in the NECk. The Google Doc that we'll be using is here.

Format:
1) 60 minutes: “Forum” style discussion
2) 5 minutes: Break
3) 25 minutes: “News and promotions” (contact me if you want to have something promoted! tournament / initiative / combo video / etc)
4) 30 minutes: Q&A and Call-Ins

Topics:
1) Crowd / player interactions (a la NEC)
2) Smashboards leadership change and gettin’ sh*t done
3) Player Recognition
4) “Fight Night” at Campbell
5) Fuzzyness’s Tutorial Series

Episode 1 Post Here:

EPISODE 1 HERE!

Attention Smashers -

We have all seen the RoM5 controversies blow up the forums, as our community struggles to figure out what went down, whether it was right or wrong, and what, if anything, we should do about it.

In an attempt to bring the most on-point arguments and ideas into the spotlight, a few players are hosting a Melee Podcast TONIGHT. Please tune in to hear our thoughts, share yours, and to support Melee and Melee initiatives in general!

Here is the agenda:
  • Purpose
  • Rom 5 Recap
  • RoM 5 controversies
  • Where we need to go and how we’re going to get there
  • Q&A through the chat, reddit, smashboards (this thread), and Twitter #MeleePodcast or @ any of the cast members for direct questions

Thanks for reading and again, please tune in with any questions you may have!!!

By the way - this is a big community-wide effort and I'd like to give some shoutouts right now:
Thanks to Chibo for offering tons of help and letting us use his stream as a backup, shoutouts to Brandon (HomeMadeWaffles) for being the homie and letting us use his YT channel to promote, and to VG Bootcamp, whose team is partnering with us and hosting the show on their stream.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
This was good. I'm really glad you guys had this. I wish there was a way to make questions or thoughts heard by the livestreamers more easily. Perhaps we could have a buzzword that they can look for? But also a way to avoid spamming questions.

For example:
QUESTION: What do you think about seeding?

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
King Funk deserves a ****ing medal for this!
I guess I don't. =( =( =(

I had a ton of input to give to this podcast. Anyways I discussed stuff with Scar and we might start doing those podcasts during weekends so that Europeans are able to participate without any time zone problems.

EDIT: sorry for the double post

DJRome

Smash Hero
I feel like I have a lot of issues with what was addressed in the podcasts, both positive and negative.

1. Player Behavior Enforcement
On the first issue of decompression of spirit, I have had an experience in a local where I played Twitch, losing game one, won game two decidedly, and then was frozen by Twitch leaving the setup for about 20 minutes with no explanation. Unfortunately, the TO did not enforce Twitch to return to the setup and I lost game 3 making similar mistakes in game 3 that I did in game 1 that I had learn in game 2. The TO after this set decided for a replay of the set, and I was not in the mood to play and did not really enjoy the subsequent 3 game set nor did I particularly try.

On the topic of forcing players to play, I think that it is a matter of choice. This ties into the TO's expectation of streaming certain matches. The players have no enforcement on their environment, but they should have a choice in broadcasting their matches as well as having them recorded. The expectation in the Ether M2K dilemma of having to stream it is ludicrous. If the players choose to play it off stream, that's fine. It can't be the rule of the tournament that certain players have to be paraded to the public against their will. The same applies to sandbagging. There isn't and shouldn't be a control on this behavior.

And to the point of competitive spirit of certain players, you can be sure that every top player has had times where they did not feel like playing, hbox, pp, mango, etc included.

2. Tournament Structure
On the topic of seeding from circuit tournaments, keep in mind that if pools as a concept is kept for the majors, players who enter for the chance to play top players in pools will be greatly disappointed that they would be kept from playing them. I realize this is a triviality for top players and generally for the historical aspect of the game, but it is a consideration to have that connection in such a grass roots community. You could have it structured to skip maybe 1 round of pools, but I do have another idea that borrows from successful tournament structure elsewhere.

The concept basically stems from my understanding of MTG tournament structure that has the concept of a Pro Tour and the lead-ins of Pro Tour Qualifiers. The winners of these qualifiers has their trip paid for to essentially what is the equivalent of a major. While this is not necessarily feasible, it could have part of the circuit money redirected. Those who are already qualified for the majors would not be eligible for these qualifiers, and the running top pros are in a club that also cannot be in these qualifiers.

The difference in the execution of the tournament is in the swiss rounds rather than pools. Swiss has several advantages. It scales well in terms of rounds in reaching a top X number of players since it is based on the power of 2. My preference would be to see 1 game matches for swiss in majors and it could reach a top 16 or 32 very quickly, requiring only 10 rounds even for 1024 players. Even with bo3 matches, it could be quicker and would not tie up setups in the same way as 1 match can be just found anywhere there is a free setup. This also gives players who would not make top 32 a chance to play a wide array of players and also to play players of similar skill as the rounds move on. It also has the advantage of not requiring seeding and making many swiss rounds hype for top players rather than just cakewalking into the end bracket. The bracket would also be clearly seeding based on tie-breakers rather than the usual ties of 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-2-2-2-2-2-2-2, etc. Again, this removes the need to seed these players for bracket as well. Of course this is a significant change from the current tournament structure, but it is just an idea taking from an institution that routinely deals with tournaments with over 1000 players.

3. Power Rankings
In regards to power rankings, I have given extensively thought into the use and the development of such lists and primarily, it comes down to why such lists would be useful. It was mentioned in the podcast that perhaps a predictive nature is key to a good list, while other view it as a way to display the achievements of the past season. It is hard to make a meaningful list without explicitly stating its purpose. Moreover, the only way for a predictive list even close is to constantly be feeding information, which is also flawed because of the inability to incorporate all players at equal rates of data. The impossibility of doing such lists lies in that there is just so little data, all of which is not created in consistent environments and will not be fed into a similar environment to predict either. Another aspect of power rankings to display achievement is also hard to judge because of the same issues of inconsistent data. At least in North Carolina, we have always had a hard time producing anything of significance in terms of power rankings, and certainly anything as abstract as skill cannot be extrapolated from such lists. In the end, I find such lists quite useless and a waste of time. It may be a competitive spark to encourage players to "climb," but it just as easily could be created through a loss to a presumed lesser opponent.

I do have a number of other thoughts I did not include, but I will save them for another post that has more relevant directly to the topics discussed in the podcast.

And also, overuse of ostensible sounds like you just took SAT prep

Top Bottom