• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Twitch/Youtube Melee Tutorial Series - Fuzzyness *Falcon vs Peach Analogy* TODAY!?

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
Yo Smashboards,

I've been doing a lot of streaming on my twitch channel recently and enjoying the whole vibe of people watching, enjoying and learning from them.

www.twitch.tv/fuzzyness

So recently I thought I'd step it up and start streaming + uploading tutorial videos for Melee.
Realistically I'd be looking at producing a tutorial live every 1-2 weeks depending on how my new job affects my spare time but I'll make sure they're very good quality and well planned.

This is my plan so far for the tutorials:

Series 1 - Fundamentals

Episode 1 – Introduction + Ways to Learn

Episode 2 – Rock Paper Scissors Element (Mindgames, Decision Making)

Episode 3 - Stage Knowledge

Episode 4 – Edgeguarding + Recovering

Episode 5 – Escapology

Episode 6 – Other Useful Knowledge

Series 2 - Matchups

Episode 1 – Falcon vs Peach

Episode 2 - Requested (Marth/Sheik vs Falco/Puff m2k request)

So with this possibility I have these options:

- Every 2 weeks I cover an episode about fundamentals till I complete all the episodes in the season

- Every 2 weeks I rotate between fundamentals and different matchups

Other ideas that came up were things like how to deal with an edge camping sheik, use of shield drops, how to deal with marth by the edge.

With the matchup episodes I plan to ask top players their opinions on the certain matchup from both character views

My plan for episode one so far:

Episode 1 – Introduction + Ways to Learn

Practise Movement
- Dash Dancing
- Pivoting
- Wavedash
- PC Drop / No Impact Drop
- Waveland
- Full Waveland
- Moonwakling
- Wavedash out of shield
- Shield Drop

Use of Routines

Benefits of using the C Stick

Training Mode
- Tech Practise using Mines
- Chain Grabbing
- IC Wobbles/Handoffs/Blizzobbling

Watching Match Videos
- Own Videos
- Critique/Advice
- Other Videos, keeping up to date with the metagame
- Trying is understanding

Bad Habits
- Finding them
- How to resolve them

Still not completed
So what do you guys think? Good/Bad Idea?
Anything maybe to be added in fundamentals?
Anything that could be added to episode 1?
Certain Matchups you'd love to know about in more depth?

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
Heres a list of my streaming setup (aside the laptop) for ya

I got a HD PVR and a Dazzle, maybe if my job with apple goes well I might end up buying a macbook + black magic intensity
MacBook costs like £1,300 to have good enough specs and USB 3.0 port to handle the capture device, most laptops cant even with USB 3.0
Black Magic Intensity is around £120

HD PVR

theyre cheaper now around £65

Beautiful display but slowly delays the stream video with whats happening in person.
works great with commentary if you're using an audio mixer + 2 mics or 2 headsets with wire adapters
Advantage - Great if you want to just record it professionally without speaking to the stream, focusing on the event + commentary at hand.
Disadvantage - Cant use webcam on the side since its delayed behind the video, stream is delayed more and more behind so you cant speak to the stream

Dazzle DVC 100

Mad cheap, gone done recently to around £20

Works perfectly, not the most amazing image but clear enough and works 100% with XSplit using virtual audio cable. No delay whatsoever.
Advantage - Everything works, cheap as chips
Disadvantage - Little bit less quality altho melee is low resolution anyway.

If you prefer using your desktop pc or have a really micro PC then id definitely recommend the internal black magic devices, they're supposed to be amazing quality wise and work without issues.

Probably would end up using Dolphin for this project to demonstrate things since its easier to have everything on my PC when streaming and it looks better in general

Stagg Professional Compact Mixer (USB Input)
SMIX 2M2S UF UK

Cost me £23 from ebay (hell yeah)

I've tried various audio mixers and the reason why I got this one is actually very simple

- Size (its not huge)

- Has 2 Microphone Gain Toggles (SO IMPORTANT, not all microphones have natural amplification and I learnt this the hard way from other audio mixers)

- Aux Volume Control (Allows me to control the game volume) This is 2TK to Main in the image

- Has extra inputs (a lot of other inputs which I could use for other stuff if necessary)

- Price (it was relatively cheap)

It even has a really cool USB Music Player function.

I dont understand why VGBootCamp needed a huge mixer still with unnecessary amount of inputs but I'm not the one to criticize I guess. If they plan to have multiple game consoles connected to it and have a lot of video capture devices to switch setups immediately then its understandable

Tech Air "Air Bag" Laptop Backpack

Cost me £8 from ebay but actually costs around £20-40

Space for my laptop, capture devices, wires and my microphones (but it can be a tight fit with microphones)
Really strong bag, great support and protection
Comfortable when carrying on my back

Looks something like this, cant find a proper image online but its pretty chunky in terms of width and has 2 different sections (keep my laptop in 1st, my other stuff in the 2nd)

Behringer XM8500 Microphone

£18

Really good quality
Doesn't pick up hardly any background noise
You can shout into it and it wont distort

.... SPOOBY PLS

Revven

FrankerZ
Fuzzy, if I can make a minor suggestion...

I would start off with really basic stuff, even some as simple as just dashing/running or jumping or anything on a similar level of basics. A lot of people outside the community don't understand much of the movement options in Smash and how important each one is to the game (aside from the commonly known wavedashing and such).

Covering the basics first and then going up from there would give you a lot more room for the second series to be a lot more in-depth about advanced stuff. And then you can create a Third series (assuming you get there) talking about MUs or how stages impact MUs or how to get out of common situations (like Falcon combos or techchases).

I'd really try to preface what UltraDavid and James Chen (even though we're not the FGC and can do things differently!) did with their shows they had for fighting games. I'm pretty sure both of them started off from such basic things like jumping or dashing in their games and how important they are, what you can do during them, how to use them, etc. without even going advanced yet. Just giving players the mindset of a competitive player with the basic options is super helpful for people getting into the game and scene.

You can also use this style of show for explaining what certain words mean that we created, like SHFFLing.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
every 2 weeks? man.... that's too long, can you try for every 10 days?

Eggm

Smash Hero
This is really cool, I was going to start doing something like this myself, I just ordered some stream equipment. Good luck, I will be watching when I can!

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
So you're saying its better to do a series on basics first Revven?

your example of dashing / running I could talk about character movement speeds and such

Of course I'd be explaining the smash terms =) and simplified terms

Revven

FrankerZ
So you're saying its better to do a series on basics first Revven?
Yes, exactly. Covering terminology on what the different moves are on a character (like Forward smash = Fsmash, Forward air = Fair), the basics of running, jumping, air dodging, rolling, spotdodges, shielding, grabbing ledges, and everything that any casual player would normally pick up on by just playing the game. But you would be giving the competitive mindset behind some of those things (notably the movement options of course). Covering the options of each of the basics, when to use them, how to use them, etc.

Then when you've covered everything there is to know about the basics of the game, you can then move onto going into the advanced stuff, starting with whatever you feel is the first thing any player getting into Melee should learn, preferably something easy to grasp and quick to learn like dashdancing or L-canceling.

Honestly, there's so much to talk about than what I've outlined here but the basic premise should be: take something basic like shielding and introduce what it is, its uses, how to use it, and when/where, expand on the littler things people don't know about Smash (like how you can direct the shield more in different directions, which can then lead into talking about shield poking naturally!) and it'll be a really flowing episode that way, because you're going from something as basic as holding the L/R button to shield to moving the shield around your character to stop being hit through your shield, which is far more advanced than simple staying in place and holding the shield buttons until you are capable of shieldgrabbing/rolling/spotdodging. You can pull various examples of where it comes in handy and etc. Analyzing matches where the alleged shield poke occurred, or when a player stopped a shield poke from occurring etc.

Stuff like that! A live stream of this has a lot of potential, assuming you get a good amount of viewers. It may take awhile to reach that, but if you promoted it enough somehow your efforts and work put into explaining this stuff would be well worth it. Should probably get the episodes on a very populated youtube Smash channel for better exposure.

Anyway... that's what I would expect from something like this. A series that helps you get into the game as though you're picking it up for the first time and have never played it before, watched any match videos, etc.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
the thing is, prog is already working on a 3 min video and some others working on a new advanced how to play video

I'm honestly not a person who's gonna enjoy teaching someone how to press L/R to shield
Personally I think advanced how to play or even basics is better learnt by a video. The old one its very clear for example whats the difference between a short hop and full jump.

Before I will show anything in my tutorials I will make the smash terminology very clear by going through these simple + advanced techniques but I will recommend a player practises/already knows these before watching.

The goal of my tutorials are to polish players knowledge, teach them stuff and share my own knowledge with the community. Anyone can learn how to do basic/advanced tech skill but have no idea what they're learning it for, or effective ways to learn it.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Mixer:

Commentator Mic
Commentator Mic
Crowd Mic
GimR Mic
Left Audio
Right Audio
Aux Send so I can talk to the commentators with out the stream hearing

For basic stuff a small mixer is excellent

:phone:

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Btw if you guys want the vids on our channel for maximum exposure I'm down

:phone:

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
I think I'll do a test stream first and if it goes successful maybe a re-stream =) thanks for the offer
I meant youtube channel for how to vids in case there was some confusion

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
yeah, it's all good. I was just clarifying because I don't think I was clear enough in my first post.

He-Man1

Smash Rookie
The ideas in the OP look really good. As a player who has already got most tech skill down, I think more knowledge about fundamentals would be very useful. Besides Lucien's spacing tutorials, there haven't been many videos about the more advanced aspects of the game.

GrazzaB

Smash Rookie
I think this is a good idea, although I think what Revven said about going over the absolute fundamentals is important a little bit considering that I've been playing for like half a year (not competitively) and I've haven't heard of half the stuff in your first episode.

I guess it kind of depends on who you want to be watching the videos. If you want newer people to get into melee and learn then you should start simpler imo. However, if you just want to get mediocre people better then I feel like this progression is fine.

Also, if you could talk about how to use the c-stick that would be really good. Because I know that me and the friends from college only really use it for smashes and I feel like I should use it for otherstuff more.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
Episode 1
Introduction, Terminology and Ways to Practise

Terminology

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Super_Smash_Bros._Melee/Intermediate_Techniques
http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Super_Smash_Bros._Melee/Advanced_Techniques

-Dash Dancing
-Short Hop
-Edgeguarding
-Edge/Ledge Hopping
-Fast Falling
-Wall Jump
-L Cancelling
-Teching
-Wavedash
-Waveland
-DI
-Chain Grab
-Spiking
-Meteor
-Meteor Cancel
-DJC
-Jump Cancel Grab
-Dash Cancel Grab
-Phantom Hit
-Pivot Smash
-Power Shielding
-Sex Kick / Hero Kick
-Wall Teching
-Triangle Jumping (LOL)
-Pivoting

Practising Movement

- Dash Dancing
- Pivoting (To Up Tilt Falco / Marth)
- Wavedash
- PC Drop / No Impact Drop
- Waveland
- Full Waveland
- Moonwakling
- Wavedash out of shield
- Shield Drop
- DJC
- Not always a good idea to fast fall, Falcon Example

Benefits of using the C Stick

- Better DI
- Movement
- Easier Smashes

Training Mode

Having 2 Controllers / 2 People

- Grabbing items in the air/floor
- Tech Practise + DI Practise using Mines
- Samus Charge Shot DI
- Chain Grabbing
- Sweetspot Recoveries, Weird Recovery Angles
- Wavedash / Waveland Lengths (Luigi)
- Wavedash from the edge (METAGAME)
- Auto Cancels
- Pivot Edgegrabbing (Fastest way to grab the edge)
- Having a friend to practise tech chasing (Falcon D Throw), difference between reactable and guessing
- Light Shield Trick Towards the Edge (USE Z)
- Crouch Cancel Tech ( CPU / BOMB )

- Starman Shield Pressure (Fox + Falco)- VS 2 Controllers, Star on Very High (C Stick is on) (Fox + Falco)
- Bowser High Handicap Shine Timing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZtkuMRDtEQ (Fox + Falco)
- Practise against IC Shield (Elastic Band on the button or Human) (Fox + Falco)
- Side B Edge Cancel Lengths on Stages (Fox + Falco)
- Shine Waveland (FALCO + FOX)

- Falco Laser Height from the edge
- Falco Laser Tricks

- Fox Double Lasers
- Peach’s Castle / Onnett Shine Infinite

- Sheik Reverse Needle Cancel

- Float cancelling methods

- Marth Double F Air

- IC Desynch methods
- IC Wobbles/Handoffs/Blizzobbling)

- Link up B onto edge / drop bomb
- Yoshi Parry (With Bomb)
- Yoshi Egg Cancels (Fumi)
- Mario Bair -> Waveland

- Action Replay Hitboxes (Smashboards has pictures of all the hitboxes)

Use of Routines

Fuzzyness’ Routine – Full Wavelands
V3X? Routine – Battlefield Fox
SpkZ – Falco
m2k fox routine – Genesis 2
m2k sheik routine – Rom5
When my falcon kills someone – Double Jump Empty Falcon Kick, Moonwalks

Watching Match Videos

- Own Videos
- Critique/Advice
- Other Videos, keeping up to date with the metagame
- Trying is understanding

I'm gonna try do all this, there'll prob be a 15-20 min break halfway

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
yo if you guys could leave me feedback on the episode that would be great! I know I got a lot of work to do in making the next one more less sloppy and Im gonna try my best to keep this up

From the Stream Chat

- NTSC vs PAL
- HandCam
- Bad Habits
- Planned Out
- Less checking the stream chat
- Consistency Importance

- How to analyse a video on ways to improve
- Pro and Cons of Playing Multiple / Single Characters

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
You should have someone upload it to YouTube. Searching for specific livestream videos isn't always user friendly, especially when you have loads of other videos (plus, I can't watch it on my phone).

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
ill try do it myself next time im free from work (thursday)

on the same day ill plan my next one ^_^

feedback would be great tho guys

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
This is awesome, once suggestion, the webcam picture could show the controller & your hands perhaps? It might help some people understand stuff since Melee has no button display

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
thanks novi but im gonna edit it for youtube on thursday, things are kinda everywhere in the actual video

expect another episode... on the 9th/10th (sun/mon)

I got controller cam set up already dw

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
alright im gonna bump this,

Im possibly going to do a falcon vs peach analogy today, streaming my match of me vs armada at beast 2 and going through it bit by bit

also some Q&A

Support for Melee Evo all the time of course =)

Would you guys want that? Its not gonna be the most practical since I haven't prepared but I'm sure I could give some great insight on the matchup

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
Can someone tell me what no impact drop is? Or tell me when it is in the video? I'm not familiar with this tech.

Kadano

Magical Express
See phanna's video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMxgGtMLEfw
The name "no impact drop" is actually a bit misleading as the main thing about is not dropping, but landing on a platform without the usual 4 frames landing lag that has those spikey clouds around your feet. It's done by approaching a platform on the very peak of your jump. An easy way to do this is to pick Marth, go to Yoshi's Story and do your double jump on the very peak of your short hop towards the top platform. With Fox, you can do it on the same stage and platform by using your double jump on the very last frame before you'd land on the ground.

Top Bottom