• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

System-Exclusive Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Suprised no one's made this yet. So, who do you think system-exclusive characters should be? I think for the 3DS:
Kamek
Spire
Krom
AR Man
Barbra

Then, for the Wii U:
Krystal
Skull Kid
Jimmy T.
Rosalina
Funky Kong

Two random characters for each, such as AR and Barbra on 3DS and Funky Kong and Jimmy for U. Then we have the serious contenders, Skull Kid and Krystal for U, Krom and Kamek for 3DS. Then we have a kind of fanfare character for each, Spire for 3DS and Rosalina for U.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I didn't make it because I don't think there should have system exclusive characters

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Most of people here aren't very content with system exclusives. Might be since one would rage seeing his fave character in other version of the game which he doesn't feel like buying a console for.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
I honestly doubt that there will be "system" exclusive characters; considering how sakurai talked about this matter of not wanting to take the full experience away from the fans. If he wanted to milk his fans; it'll probably be something along the lines of 3DS cards similar to how KI:U worked.

The only mentioned connectivity between the WIIU and 3DS was "importing your personal character, with its upgrades and rewards" to go head to head against others on the WII-U.

He hasn't mentioned what will the "personal" character be at all (miis, Nintendo character/icons, or something completely different); so calling for system exclusive ideas is a bit too early :/

Also, what Psycho and horsetail said.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I highly doubt this will happen. If it did, it would probably be in the form of "one secret character per console that can be unlocked by connecting to the other console." Of course, it would be a character set that people may not mind not having character-wise, such as a retro. Like, Muddy Mole for the 3DS and Takamaru for the Wii U, but both can be obtained via connection.

Not that there'll be version exclusives. This is Smash, not Pokemon.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Considering that the Wii U and 3DS are leagues apart when it comes to power and utility, both games are going to be different by default.

You also got to consider that there should be differences in order to justify getting two different versions of the game. It would be very pointless by a developer's standpoint to make two versions to be identical, hence why games like Pokemon give out exclusive content for each individual version to justify their existence.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
There are ways to make them different without tampering with the roster, however. Stages, music, story mode, etc, would be different ways to differentiate the two. Not to mention the "customization" thing the 3DS supposedly has.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The only shot for any "exclusive characters" is if the 3DS file limit won't allow for more characters (in which case, we have SD cards for, so thus that point is void), Sakurai wants two different rosters (which makes the work load way too high, and is quite frankly inefficient), Sakurai can't get the rights to characters on the 3DS or WiiU (which has never happened before in a fighting game in regard to anything but localization).

The only is likely scenario is if one game is released after the other (probably the WiiU Smash Bros. is released after the 3DS one). And even in that scenario, DLC is still a very likely possibility.

D

Deleted member

I can see a Soul Calibur 4 situation with Yoda and Vader, where there are characters INITIALLY system exclusive, but end up becoming DLC for the other version later on.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I can see a Soul Calibur 4 situation with Yoda and Vader, where there are characters INITIALLY system exclusive, but end up becoming DLC for the other version later on.
That is a possibility, but I don't see Sakurai liking that, especially since Nintendo owns both consoles, and they are funding both games and created/funded both consoles.

D

Deleted member

It would probably just be one character each.
Like say, have a 3DS oreinted character like Dillon, Mallo, etc. (just examples, not saying they are likely) be temporarily be 3DS exclusive, while have someone Wii U oriented like the The Wonderful 101 guy or Monita (again, just examples) temporarily be Wii U exclusive.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
That'd be quite impractical even with the slightest 3DS->WiiU connection functions

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Look, it's not that I hate the idea of having to buy each of the games.

Here, to explain my distaste for system exclusive characters, I'll point out the inherent strengths of each system's game:

Wii U Smash Bros. = Beautiful oh my God HD, Traditional "gather 'round the TV and play,", and has less hardware limitations for going crazy with content and modes.

3DS Smash Bros. = Portable Smash Bros., the hinted at single player-focused experience, 3D effect (not a huge deal, but when implemented correctly it actually becomes a really great feature).

Now, when I think of a Smash Bros. title across two platforms, I think that there should be differences, as I've pointed out above. But what I also think is that there should be coherence between the two. That is to say, it would be disappointing to only be able to experience certain characters on the 3DS, and not be able to see them in glorious HD on the Wii U version, and vice versa with Wii U exclusive characters not being able to be used with the 3DS's unique features.

I would not be opposed to certain characters needing to be unlocked in each version by connecting your Wii U game to a copy of the 3DS one (although I can see why some would not be happy with this). I think a good solution to the 3DS storage problem is to let people load a pack (say 30 or so) of characters from the Wii U game onto the 3DS game at one time, then you can walk around with that selection of characters and make them stronger or however Sakurai is doing the customization thing. The 3DS version could have a smaller, fixed-size roster than the Wii U version, but could hold personalized data profiles for each character over the whole Smash 4 roster for a certain person (organized by Nintendo Network ID). When you copy your characters to and from the 3DS and Wii U, it takes all the data with them.

Am I making sense there? It's all very clear in my head.

But having certain characters appear only on one platform is a big no no for me.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It would probably just be one character each.
Like say, have a 3DS oreinted character like Dillon, Mallo, etc. (just examples, not saying they are likely) be temporarily be 3DS exclusive, while have someone Wii U oriented like the The Wonderful 101 guy or Monita (again, just examples) temporarily be Wii U exclusive.
Yeah, you're probably right. However, your examples suck. :p

No, but really, I think it will happen (Yoda/Vader style, with the exception being connecting the 2 consoles and games) with items, features, game modes, or even stages.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Here's the thing with stages: I'd like to play on the same stages in both the 3DS and Wii U versions, but I know that some of the more ambitious stages with a lot going on in terms of hazards or backgrounds might not be doable on the 3DS version.

And it makes this weird dissatisfaction crop up in me, because I sorta want the two versions to be mostly identical content-wise. I dunno why, but having a certain stage only playable on the 3DS or Wii U versions would kinda separate the two experiences, know what I mean? For some reason I feel the entire experience should be kinda uniform, but with different implementations as far as modes go.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I agree Giant, but I've got a feeling we could get some temporary exclusive stages, or some stages that you need to have both games (and have them connected) to play on.

Either way, we're gonna have hackers who will find a way for us to play on nearly all past stages! :grin:

grizby2

Smash Lord
its kinda like some pokemon being available in particular versions of the game. but at least those games shared the SAME CONSOLE.

no exclusives plz :{

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I think Breadbug hit it right on the head. That'd be the best possible scenario if the rosters are not absolutely identical.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
this is a bad idea. 3DS is supposed to be for single player oriented experiences (in 3D) and Wii U for multiplayer (with HD graphics).

being able to experience a single player with a certain character and then being unable to use that character in a multiplayer match would be frustrating, and likely would disappoint fans of such character.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Putting my cards on the table, I'm knowledgeable about games, companies and am good with gaming as a whole (and very modest) but wifi from the DS to the wii is one of the most tedious things I have to do. In pokemon battle revolution I spent an hour trying to get wifi to work, and fiddling with the 3DS and wii U for an hour so I can play as balloon fighter on Muddy mole's beach in HD isn't going to be high in amount of fun. As well as that problem, I can see it taking a long time to download a character or stage even if you do know what you're doing just because of the speed of it downloading, and quite frankly, it's going to be redundant. The second hackers find out about version exclusives then they're obviously going to delve into the coding of Smash universe or smash 3DS and play as the characters without using wifi, and the models have to be in there somewhere or else it would take days to download the models, the sprites differences in all of the attacks, the colour changes, the attacks themselves, even the sillhouette for the final smash colours to surround! That's just a pinch of things from brawl, and with the rest of it, and the added features of the new games, you can imagine how long it would take the download. You'd have to plug the 3DS into it's charger! And that's just for a character, imagine waiting to download new pork city or fourside! It's like trading in pokemon, except that when you were trying to trade to black you brought white 2 and the pokemon in the parties are identical! It's just useless, tedious and time-consuming! I rest my case.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Putting my cards on the table, I'm knowledgeable about games, companies and am good with gaming as a whole (and very modest)
:rolleyes:

but wifi from the DS to the wii is one of the most tedious things I have to do. In pokemon battle revolution I spent an hour trying to get wifi to work, and fiddling with the 3DS and wii U for an hour so I can play as balloon fighter on Muddy mole's beach in HD isn't going to be high in amount of fun. As well as that problem, I can see it taking a long time to download a character or stage even if you do know what you're doing just because of the speed of it downloading, and quite frankly, it's going to be redundant.
Personally, I found no issue with the Wi-Fi when transferring my Pokemon onto Battle Revolution, the whole process didn't take me longer than five minutes. It probably varies in time due to connection speeds I suppose, but I very much doubt the average time would be an hour. Plus, with the 3DS and Wii U, if any change occurred in time, it would take shorter.

The second hackers find out about version exclusives then they're obviously going to delve into the coding of Smash universe or smash 3DS and play as the characters without using wifi, and the models have to be in there somewhere or else it would take days to download the models, the sprites differences in all of the attacks, the colour changes, the attacks themselves, even the sillhouette for the final smash colours to surround!
This game is going to get hacked any way you want to look at it. It's inevitable, and system exclusive content (while it would be exploited via hacking), by no means would be the sole cause of hacking. Hackers would also make up a very very small percentage of people who will end up playing the game.

That's just a pinch of things from brawl, and with the rest of it, and the added features of the new games, you can imagine how long it would take the download. You'd have to plug the 3DS into it's charger! And that's just for a character, imagine waiting to download new pork city or fourside! It's like trading in pokemon, except that when you were trying to trade to black you brought white 2 and the pokemon in the parties are identical! It's just useless, tedious and time-consuming! I rest my case.
Again, the time taken to transfer would be varied. Considering the games are being made in tandem, if there were to be system exclusives, it would make sense that they would be on-disc, and therefore would take a very small amount of time for them to basically "unlock". Even if you had to hypothetically download them, there's no way they would take as long as other things on the Wii U, like the initial Wii U update, or downloading a retail game. Hell, it wouldn't even take as long as downloading an Wii U eShop game, and that only takes a couple minutes. The character data for Brawl was 662 MB, and that was for 46 separate characters. Considering entire eShop games are only a couple hundred MBs, one or two characters would not take a particularly long time to download. Stages even less time, they take up significantly less data.

If people can wait a couple minutes for an downloadable title, especially full retail ones, they can wait a couple minutes for the data to download. If systems exclusives are to be embraced, the technical aspect wouldn't be much of a concern.

FZ64

Smash Journeyman
Putting my cards on the table, I'm knowledgeable about games, companies and am good with gaming as a whole (and very modest) but wifi from the DS to the wii is one of the most tedious things I have to do. In pokemon battle revolution I spent an hour trying to get wifi to work, and fiddling with the 3DS and wii U for an hour so I can play as balloon fighter on Muddy mole's beach in HD isn't going to be high in amount of fun. As well as that problem, I can see it taking a long time to download a character or stage even if you do know what you're doing just because of the speed of it downloading, and quite frankly, it's going to be redundant. The second hackers find out about version exclusives then they're obviously going to delve into the coding of Smash universe or smash 3DS and play as the characters without using wifi, and the models have to be in there somewhere or else it would take days to download the models, the sprites differences in all of the attacks, the colour changes, the attacks themselves, even the sillhouette for the final smash colours to surround! That's just a pinch of things from brawl, and with the rest of it, and the added features of the new games, you can imagine how long it would take the download. You'd have to plug the 3DS into it's charger! And that's just for a character, imagine waiting to download new pork city or fourside! It's like trading in pokemon, except that when you were trying to trade to black you brought white 2 and the pokemon in the parties are identical! It's just useless, tedious and time-consuming! I rest my case.

your logic is a bit :083: no? :troll:

D

Deleted member

Come on guys, we're not really going to run the Farfetch'd joke to the ground again, are we?

Qlaw

Smash Cadet
If they do in fact have characters for one game over the other. I'd have it be for the 3ds.

3ds version is supposed to help build one player experience, right? So, why not create(see mortal kombat deception for the game makers, or even if they dared, see soul calibur III where you have that huge story following your own character) a character meant EXCLUSIVELY for the story mode, that also seconds as a training mode. You run into many of the actual fighters, learning their moves, how to use them, and how to counter them. Only once you complete the mode will you unlock said character.

BUT; if they choose the "create your hero" way, I do NOT want them to be transferable to the wii-u version. Simply for balancing reasons.(i'd hate going up against a character i have NO idea how they function)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I still think the idea is a bit out there, unless the WiiU Smash is released after the 3DS Smash.

And seriously, if exclusive characters does happen, it won't be for long, whether by means of DLC, porting, hacking, or some combination of any number of those 3 methods.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I don't see the big deal. It just seems like a bunch of people whining becuase they think need to buy both games. That's kinda stupid. I understand the whole "Gotta Catch 'Em All" feeling that gamers get, but why not get the version you like. Most likely it's going to happen, as it's been happening to fighting games in recent times, like SFxT ot TTT2. And if it does happen, there will be no whining because guess what: it's there.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
if the WiiU one comes out before the 3DS one it wont be good...also if they both get released on the exact same date it would be murder...i dont ReAlLyY..think they would do that though..

:phone:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom