• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"We just love being mean!" - The Koopalings invade Smash 4

Avocado14

Smash Cadet
In case you haven't heard of them, the Koopalings are a clan of elite members of the Koopa Troop dating back to 1988. They are villains of many old and new Super Mario Bros. games, each possessing unique attributes, powers, and weapons. Before I proceed, let's review Sakurai's criteria for a Smasher in Super Smash Bros. Do the Koopalings fit these guidelines?

1. The character's inclusion must make people want to buy the game.
Absolutely! The Koopalings have acquired many fans throughout the years, even more so than Bowser Jr.
2. The character must be unique
Each possess distinguishable abilities, plus the ability to switch between them would be a unique touch.
3. The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.
Definitely, their projectiles and fighting abilities would make them great contenders.
4. They must contribute to the game balance
While being able to switch between 7 character might be overpowered, Sakurai could easily nerf them like he did with Pokemon Trainer. Also, there's no stopping him from including only three or maybe even one.

Now, as for the unique abilities I spoke of earlier, here is a short list for each Koopaling.

Lemmy Koopa
-Can use circus balls to fight (made by magic scepter)
-Spin like a top
-Can generate Goombas which are disguised as clones of himself
-Breathe Fireballs
-Spin inside shell
-Throw bombs

Morton Koopa Jr.
-Use weight to cause earthquakes which stun foes
-Magic blasts
-Shoot spiked balls from his scepter
-Magic hammer
-Breathe fire
-Sonic screech
-Inflate himself like a balloon
-Spit objects

Wendy O. Koopa
-Use wand to create glowing rings
-Create spinys disguised as herself
-Breathe fireballs
-Spin inside shell
-Throw bracelets
-Ice skate

Iggy Koopa
-Rides a Chain Chomp
-Spin like a top
-Spit fireballs (slower, move in an arc)
-Chaotic magic blasts
-Summons lightning to rain down on foes
-Use hair as a spear
-Throw balls
-Produce orbs that could summon Magmaargs
-Tornado attack

Larry Koopa
-Magic blasts
-Spins at extreme speeds inside shell
-Uses bombs as bowling balls
-Uses a tennis racket to spar and hit fireballs
-Manipulates pools of water
-Throws balls

Ludwig von Koopa
-Projectiles from scepter
-Ground pound to stun
-Spin in shell
-Spit fireballs (some of which lock on)
-Long jumps
-Fire electricity
-Teleport in a flash of Lightning
-Tornado attack
-Flutter Jump
-Can create fake duplicates
-Can hover

Roy Koopa
-Ground Pounds
-Magic blasts
-Purple fireballs
-Wields Bullet Bill Blaster
-Spin around in shell
-Full body tackle
-Throw spiked balls

As you can see, there is a lot of potential here. As a Final Smash, perhaps they could all pile into the Koopa Clown Car as pictured here:

So yeah, discuss the Koopalings here. I'll try to make movesets and palette swaps for at least a few of them.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
These fellas always seemed like either Assist Trophy material or hazards on a Bowser's Castle stage. I mean, Nintendo seems to have downplayed their importance, despite them reappearing after their decades of absence. Canonically, they retconned them to not even being Bowser's kids.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
each is a very unique character, and while I personally would like to have Bowser Jr. to appear as a playable character, it would be really nice to have them in the game too.

and what if Jr. gets in and his FS involves him and the Koopalings wreaking havoc on the stage, by having all of them in a Clown Car, shooting bombs, magic and all kinds of projectiles in all directions?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Canonically, they retconned them to not even being Bowser's kids.
They were never intended to be Bowser's kids to begin with. The idea of the Koopalings being Bowser's children came from the North American localization team, along with their individual names being based on varies musicians.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ah, I see. Thanks. Either way, good old 'Merica confused a boatload of people...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm not really expecting much out of the Koopalings. Maybe they'll appear as stage hazards, but being playable is a long stretch.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
They're not going to put 7 side characters from one series into the game.

On the other hand, they wouldn't just put one or two in either, because that wouldn't be right.

They're more likely to just put in Jr.

:phone:

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
It seems too much effort for characters that aren't even that popular, cool idea though. AT seems to be more fitting for them.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Maybe Lugwig, who is consider the leader, fights like N would where each of his attacks was one of his siblings.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Maybe Lugwig, who is consider the leader, fights like N would where each of his attacks was one of his siblings.
That would be the best way to represent all of them as playable characters. Though I think Bowser Jr. would be picked over them if it came down to adding another koopa character.

But I would prefer the Kooplings>Jr.

Rukifellth

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm kinda new here and accidently posted up a simhilair idea. (oops)
So I'll go ahead what I had in mind in order to implement these guys:

Hi I'm new here, but I have an interesting concept I came up with some days ago.
It is a pity that we haven't seen any playable Koopaling in ANY Mario game, but it is understandable, while immensly iconic, there are so many of them, what to do with them all?

So here is a concept, Koopaling the character...

We love being MEAN!... and stuff...

Basically it is a Koopaling, just what you'd expect, except that he like Wario in SSBB have multiple costumes, but not 2, a whooping 7 (or 8 if you count Bowser.Jr) costumes, all based on the koopalings, preventing the omittion of any of them, and pleasing all.

Ofcourse that means that their moves have to be shared among one another, so no bouncing Iggy Ball or Wendy's rings of doom. Also, the other "costumes" would'nt alter things like proportions, or size or lenght, simply eyes, number of teeth, hair, and accesories...

They're basic attacks could combine aspects from Bowser, with the use of their staff to bash opponents silly. They would be skilled jumpers since they jump REALLY GOOD in the Mario games, but would be lighter and weaker than bowser.

Their B Moves would consist of:

B: Magic Fire: Holding B, you can charge up the wand to throw up to 3 fireballs simhilair to Iggy's fireballs in NSMBU, so just tapping B would result in one fire, and so on. Also, the fireballs are aimed towards the closest opponent in front of the Koopaling.

Forward B: Shell Shock: Like Squirtle, they would spin inside their shell towards a target, and can be charged like Squirtle. Unlike Squirtle (I think) they can jump while in the shell (like in SMB3) but is not as fast as Squirtle's Withdraw.

Up B: Mean Spin: Simhilair to Meta Knight, they spin frantically, if used in the air, they spin upwards, but in any case it can be controlled like MetaKnights, but the hit effect is more akin to Mario's old Mario Spin. The move is based on their spin attack from Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga.

Down B: Ling Pound: Mimicing Bowser, they attempt to crash down hard on the ground... with not as powerfull results. :S

Final Smash (if there will be any): Airship Bombardment: From the top of the screen a huge airship shows it's belly filled with hanging cannons and engines, like in SMB3 it will utilise diagonal cannons, bullet bill turrets, blazing engines and , multidirectional cannons to cause chaos. But unlike SMB3, all the cannons will be HIGHLY powerfull and can easily knock away opponents.

What do you think?

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Or... They might work as the Pokemon Trainer.
One of them stays on the fight ground while the other six (or seven if we include Bowser Jr.) stay on the Koopa Clown in the background.

But... Realistically, I think they will be "just" an AT or a Story Mode Boss.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I would love it if they were included as a PKMN Trainer style character. However, they'd need to have Bowser Jr with them unfortunately.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I would love it if they were included as a PKMN Trainer style character. However, they'd need to have Bowser Jr with them unfortunately.

I can't imagine 6 koopalings standing in a row in the background. Including them as pallete swaps of one character.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Bowser Jr is more relevant and would be the reason they got in.

@FalKoopa
They'll be in a koopa clown car in the background. :awesome:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Bowser Jr was more relevant in 2008 when Brawl was coming out, but the Koopa Kids have been in many games since then, and have been in games WITHOUT Bowser Jr in it

They can survive without him

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Bowser Jr was more relevant in 2008 when Brawl was coming out, but the Koopa Kids have been in many games since then, and have been in games WITHOUT Bowser Jr in it

They can survive without him
Actually they have only been in one game without Jr. Vice Versa, since Brawl came out, Jr. has only been in one game without the koopalings.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
You know, this would be an absolute pain-in-the-arse to animate and design, but if Sakurai wanted to fit all seven Koopalings into one playable slot, he could have them all remain inside the Clown Car by default, with each individual hopping out to perform specific sets of moves, before hopping back in.

For example, Ludwig could be in charge of the specials, since he's the eldest, while Roy and Morton could handle the grabs and Smashes, respectively, due to their physical nature. Lemmy, Larry, Wendy and Iggy could split up the other moves somehow. Maybe, as the Car gets knocked around by opponents, Koopalings could get individually knocked out and KOed, preventing them from using certain moves and losing a bit of weight; to balance this out, they'd be incredibly powerful at the start of the match, maybe even being designed to be faced by three opponents, rather than one. The ultimate glass cannon, in other words.

I don't ever see any Koopaling other than Bowser Jr. becoming playable, let alone this idea happening, but I can dream.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
That's why i said they should be pallette swaps of each other occupying one slot.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I don't think the palette swap option would work, since each Koopaling has different proportions, and it would be bizarre to have dainty Wendy making shockwaves, or meatheaded Morton trying to roll around on a circus ball.

Come to think of it, I've seen Bowser's palette swaps referred to as references to various Koopalings before, which makes some amount of sense. And if "Junior" becomes playable, he'd surely follow in his father's footsteps in that regard.

D

Deleted member

Do you mean Koopalings as one character? Or as individuals like Larry, Wendy, etc.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
They'll be in a koopa clown car in the background. :awesome:
I actually think thats a better solution. Make them a stage hazard or an assist trophy and have them mirror how they were in New Super Mario Bros 2

Anyone who isnt hidden behind a wall or object gets blasted.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Unfortunately, most stages have either no walls (Battlefield, FD) or have walls everywhere (Temple, Shadow Moses Island). :urg:

True, which might make it broken as an assist trophy. But if a stage was designed with it in mind that might work as a hazard.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
True, which might make it broken as an assist trophy. But if a stage was designed with it in mind that might work as a hazard.
Could be the Bowser's Castle stage!

Them being in the car would be the only way to fit them into one model, which is the only way this will happen. Otherwise Bowser Jr would be the only "koopaling" I could see. And lord knows the clown car is never happening.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
A set for all of the Koopalings in one would probably be mostly like what BKupa said with them all in one car, but would just drop off most of the Koopalings as minions rather than directly playable with various attacks. Ludwig would stay in the car at all times as the leader. Them hopping back in aftertheir attack is done would be weird. It might all be contained within one or two Specials, with the Koopaling coming out being determined by charge or randomly.

Of course it's horribly unlikely, but it'd be great. Sad that Jr. is more seriously considered over these guys or even just one of them.

Given you want to produce movesets, have my Iggy.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
With the new Vaneose/Ninna/Neo/Chronobound leak and have many respectable sources backing it.

You will get your wish with playable Koopalings thanks to them being playable character alts for Bowser Jr.

I can't wait to main Wendy! :)

andimidna

Smash Master
With the new Vaneose/Ninna/Neo/Chronobound leak and have many respectable sources backing it.

You will get your wish with playable Koopalings thanks to them being playable character alts for Bowser Jr.

I can't wait to main Wendy! :)
A new leak? Link? (I haven't been keeping up to date with that kind of stuff lately)

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Koopalings would be overdoing it in my opinion. I think at most, they'll be stage hazards on Mushroom Kingdom U, or just trophies (individual, like the Hunter trophies in Brawl). Bowser Jr. is much more likely, and a much better newcomer choice.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I remember back in Melee a friend told me that Roy was a secret character. And I thought "Oh they made Roy as a clone of Bowser? Neat!".

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Bowser Jr. piloting the Koopa Clown Car with the Koopalings as alternate costumes would be awesome.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Koopalings would be overdoing it in my opinion. I think at most, they'll be stage hazards on Mushroom Kingdom U, or just trophies (individual, like the Hunter trophies in Brawl). Bowser Jr. is much more likely, and a much better newcomer choice.
How? they would be character alts for bowser jr. They would take little to no resource time since they have HD models already from Mario kart 8.

Last edited:

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
How they would be character alts for bowser jr. They would take little to no resource time since they have HD models already from Mario kart 8.
They'd be overdoing it because that's waaay too many Mario characters, even as alts. Alts for Bowser Jr. would have to mean Bowser Jr.'s moveset wouldn't involve his paint brush. Each Koopaling + Bowser Jr. would at best have moves similar to Bowser's. The only way to have unique movesets for all of them would be to make them all separate characters, especially since it's known that each Koopaling has different ways to attack, and that'd just be overdoing it.

Also, could you link to the leaks you mentioned? I tried Google, but couldn't find anything.

Top Bottom