• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tiered Rankings / Gym Leader / Player Recognition Ideas

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I am really upset that I was doing homework during that specific part of the conversation. :<

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Gotta make Badges for the Elite 4, that they need to bring to nationals for title fights.

Edit: Get people at Artist Alley at Apex to make the first few, I remember someone making pins.

dkuo

Smash Lord
digital/physical badges?

would the leaders have to have like a stock of 100 badges to give out

do the 'best of 1 character badges' have to be won via dittos or is it passed around based on general consensus, or should there be another way of regulating that

yee

edit: what if you lose the 1 existing regional physical badge and couldn't ever find it again
getting a copy wouldn't be the same

what if people get physical copies to be goofy lmao

edit:

there should be REGIONAL BADGES to motivate whole regions to work together to improve
idk how you would differentiate those other than via ranking though

so just regional ranking in general maybe

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I don't like character or region based badges. I think we need Physical and SWF badges for the top 5. Elite 4 + Champion and when you beat them in tourney you get their badge. Get some salt/hype rematches and title fights out of it afterwards...assuming mango would give a ****. I think he would.

G

genkaku

more practical system, melee BR votes someone in as A+ tier and they get a pin.
God tier players get additional, personal pins.
?
It'd be cool if the base level pin was like in the shape of a shine or something.
Earning badges by beating specific players is a little iffy, but getting voted in/recognized by the community of elites seems more stable.

You could potentially additionally distribute pokemon gym badges that can be challenged for air gear style in pride matches. While the other badges have more to do with being recognized for your ability, these could make for hype.

Blck

Smash Rookie
Not for real, but going with the pokemon theme:

Mango is Red at Mt. Silver. He's not one of the elite four, but you have to beat him on all his mains/alts to claim his title as Melee Master.

dkuo

Smash Lord
I prefer regional badges over character. Like does anyone care who the best Roy is? How would we even know/determine this?
thats the thing though, it makes character pride for the low tiers bigger
especially if some top player decided to hoard a bunch of low tier badges just because they can

but yeah its hard to determine

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
I prefer regional badges over character. Like does anyone care who the best Roy is? How would we even know/determine this?
I agree, regional makes the most sense

Then you can establish a top-down gym system

You tier players within regions, then you make larger national tiers from those tiers

BetaBahamut

Smash Journeyman
This could be a way for top players to make a little dough on the side. Minimum X$ amount money matches to contend for the badge, lower skilled players will line up to get the "MD/VA" badge. This could be big draws at big tournys. On the subject of character ones I dont see a reason why you cant have both. The best DK or roy might not be the best in there region but it would still be fun to reconize/challenge them. I think this idea should be sidelined now until we get smashboards/smashwiki integration. It'd be cool to have a liquidpedia esc pages with ELO and badges earned.

Liggiedanoob

Smash Rookie
if you use a "gym leader" system that hands out physical/digital badges that change when the "gym leader" changes it could be as simple as a letter/initials on the badge.

Also to keep the leaders from changing to often, you could have only certain times per year that the "gym leader" can be challenged for the title, and/OR you could have like a $ donation that goes to keeping the system running that a person has to pay if they are wanting the title for them selves.

As for giving players recignition you have a few options.

1: rip off starcraft2
2: Letters aka S class A+ class A class B class etc...
the options go on and on.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
thats the thing though, it makes character pride for the low tiers bigger
especially if some top player decided to hoard a bunch of low tier badges just because they can

but yeah its hard to determine
It's impossible. Like PP, M2K, Armada, etc. could just play Roy and beat people (Sethlon for example - no hate!). But how do you determine which is the best? Just from like a RR Roy ditto tournament? Or do you have them play top level players and try to kind of like theory it out that way? But then you can't test PP's Roy against Falco or Armada's Roy against Peach.

Bad Cupboard

Smash Apprentice
If one of the top players is really a better Roy player than Sethlon, then shouldn't they be the leader? I don't see how that's really a problem.

Regardless, badges by region still seems like a better idea.

Europhoria

Smash Lord
I'm saying that I can think of like 10 people that could probably beat him directly in Roy dittos/do better vs. other people with Roy. But none of them actually main Roy, it's a product of their overall player skill. So then what lol How do you see how has the best Roy vs. Peach when it comes to Armada, etc. There are also people that are beastly at one match up but might not be the best with their character. It's especially common where the top players of a character are closer (like Falcon).

So yeah, go regionals.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
midwest's giovani = Darkrain

never in the midwest

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Europhoria is right and I don't want to be giving a badge to some random GaW from some region who doesn't travel making it impossible to get hyped for that badge.

Regional badges could be cool in big regions, people traveling to NY just to earn a badge...but I still think we should only have 5 badges, Elite 4 + Champion and they change through tournaments. Armada won't be champ forever and it'll be hype to see those badges change hands.

Bad Cupboard

Smash Apprentice
My problem is how you would deal with people like M2K who changes character mid-set

Would M2K be the Sheik Leader? Or Marth? Or Both?

How would you determine who's the best from the start? Would you just go doesn't Apex 2013's results and pick the highest placing person for each character? That doesn't work for obvious reasons. Would you have the MBR decide? That seems too behind-the-doors. Popular opinion? I guarantee you would have loads of people convinced that Ken's still the best Marth.

Regional just seems like a better idea.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Character specific would be dumb, because any player who is significantly better than me could beat me at my own character, no matter who I mained.

This whole idea is redundant and overhyped simply because people want to relate Pokemon to real life desperately.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Guys the character specific wouldn't really work or be as cool as you think

It would literally be like ~5 players who are just the best at the game who are considered the best with each character

**** Mango alone has at least 8 characters that he is best with, Armada would have at least 2, M2K arguably has 2...it just makes more sense to do it regionally

Top Bottom