• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Affiliates Present: SMASHACRE -BLAZE- 4/6/13

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Please click here to preregister!

Note: All information posted may be subject to change at ANY time.

Hosted by The Smash Affiliates

Date:
April 6th, 2013 (Melee)
Time: 10 AM - Closing
Registration starts at 10 AM

2400 North Avenue,
Scotch Plains, NJ 07076
Venue Fee: $10

Please note: We need your help! If you bring setups, you will be discounted from the venue fee.

Bringing a TV: $2 discount
Bringing a Wii/Gamecube: $1 discount
Bringing a Melee Disc: $1

Bringing the whole setup together: $5 Discount

Public Transportation

If you're taking the bus, the 113 bus will take you to a bus stop straight to the venue. The bus stop you're looking for is North Ave at Edgewood Ave. Follow North Ave and cross Crossway Pl, past the American Legion, and you'll arrive at the venue. Please check the weekend bus schedules for more information - the bus stop for the venue is between North Ave at Elm St in Westfield and South Ave at Martine Ave in Fanwood.

If you're taking the train, you want to take the Raritan Valley Line to Westfield. You'll be right on North Ave, and the venue will be a mile or so down the street. Facing away from the train station, you want to travel to the left on North Ave. You can either walk, take the bus 113 (and it'll be 3 stops away) or you can call me and I can see if it can be arranged for you to be picked up.

Events:

SSBM 1v1 - $10 per person
SSBM 2v2 - $10 per team

Prizes:

Singles:
1st place - 70% of prize
2nd place - 20% of prize
3rd place - 10% of prize

Doubles:
1st place - 70% of prize
2nd place - 20% of prize
3rd place - 10% of prize

MELEE RULES

BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLERS - The venue will not provide you with one.
₪ All events will be double elimination
₪ Four (4) stock
₪ Eight (8) minute time limit
₪ Singles seeding will be random with some courtesy to crews and location - you will be spaced evenly as to prevent playing each other in the first round. One of the two criteria must be fulfilled in order to be favored - You must have 3 or more people in a group hailing from the same region, or you must be part of a crew. Teams seeding will be done randomly.
₪ Each round is best of three (3) matches; Winners and Losers are best of five (5) matches. Grand finals are best of out seven (7) matches.
₪ Items will be turned OFF
₪ For Doubles, Team attack is ON and life stealing is allowed. If the game is paused accidentally while attempting to steal a life, the opposing team may deem that life forfeit. Wait until the announcer has finished saying defeated before pressing start, or turn pause off prior to beginning the match.
₪ In the event of an equipment malfunction, the match will be restart from the last known position or from any point in the match that is agreed upon by the players. Please look for an official and do not start such a rematch on your own.
₪ Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the match or makes it in any way unfinishable are banned. Using them will result in the immediate forfeit of the match.
₪ Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, are banned. Please note that wobbling will be illegal in singles, but legal in doubles. Officials will be on the tournament floor and can be called in at any time to enforce this rule during a match.
₪ Nintendo Standard controllers only (any type of programmable controller must be inspected by a store official/TSA member). Likewise, controller modifications are banned. If you are caught using a modded controller you will be disqualified from the tournament.
BRING WAVEBIRDS AT YOUR OWN RISK. It will be your responsibility to find others with Wavebirds and sort out the frequency issues. If you bring a wavebird it is highly suggested to bring a normal Gamecube controller in case your Wavebird malfunctions.

₪ In a set, character selection for the first round may be a double blind pick - both players must whisper their character choices for that match to an official, and then immediately select those characters afterwards. The stage select for the first match will be determined by Stage Striking until a determined stage is chosen. In case of a controller port dispute, players may elect to Contest Port Priority or Neutral Start. After the first match, the winning player bans a stage, then the losing player must announce their choice for the next stage. Once the stage selection has been announced, the winning player may choose to change their character. Once the winning player has chosen his character for the next match, the losing player may then choose to change characters. The losing player also has first pick of a controller port, unless Neutral Start is once again elected. After the stage, characters, and port have been set, the players play their second match. Players will continue this method until a winner is determined.
₪ In the event of a tie at the end of the time limit, the player with the most stocks wins the match. In case both players have the same amount of stock, the player with the lowest percentage wins the match. If both players have the same percentages, the players will quit the SUDDEN DEATH, then look for an official to oversee the tie-breaking match. Set the stock to one (1), set the time limit to 3, and start a match on the same stage. If the bonus match goes to the end of the time limit, without determining a winner by stock, then both players/teams will be disqualified from the tournament.
₪ Stage Strike Rule - Players eliminate stages from the Starter/Neutral list until there is one stage remaining. Determine the first player to ban the stage, the 2nd player will ban the next two stages, and the first player will ban the last stage.
₪The Mages DQ rule: After a match has been called, if a player is two minutes late he will receive a warning. At 4 minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After six minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set. Breaking this rule will not be tolerated and will be strictly enforced. We will give everyone ample time in advanced to let them know when a tournament is starting. It is the player's responsibility to be ready when a match has been announced.
₪ Dave's Stupid Rule Modified - A player/team may not counterpick to the stage they last won on.
₪ Gentleman's Clause - Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over Dave's Stupid Rule.
₪ Contest Port Priority - One game of Rock Paper Scissors will determine who will get pick of a port. The winner selects his port, and the loser selects any other port
₪ Neutral Start - Players will use the following ports for each stage when this rule is elected:
Singles

FD: 1 and 2
FoD: 1 and 2
YS: 1 and 2
DL: 2 and 4
BF: 3 and 4
PS: 3 and 4

Doubles
FD Team A Team B Team A Team B
PS Team A Team B Team B Team A
BF Team A Team B Team B Team A
YS Team A Team B Team B Team A
DL Team A Team B Team B Team A

₪ Neutral Stages for 1v1: Final Destination, Battlefield, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64, Yoshi's Story
₪ Counterpick Stages for Singles: Pokemon Stadium
₪ For Best of 3 sets, each player gets 1 stage ban.
₪ For Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans.
₪ For Best of 7 sets, DSRM is enabled for the 7th match, but the winner of the 6th match is allowed one stage ban, to be used after the 6th match is played.

₪ Neutral Stages for 2v2: Final Destination, Battlefield, Dreamland 64, Pokemon Stadium, Yoshi's Story
₪ Counterpick Stages: DK 64, Jungle Japes
₪ For Best of 3 sets, each team gets 2 stage bans. Teams may ban up to one neutral stage and one counterpick stage. One team cannot ban both counterpick stages.
₪ For Best of 5 sets, each team gets 1 stage ban.
₪ For Best of 7 sets, there are no stage bans.

₪ Stages not listed are banned from play.

A Message from Warrior of Zarona:

Welcome to the second of our revived SMASHACRE series, dubbed this time as - Blaze -. We wanted to show that the series is not only back, but is still hot on fire! We have that those who came to the previous SMASHACRE enjoyed their time, and please invite more to come this time around!

Some quick changes: We've moved registration to start at 10am, though the doors will still be open at 9am. Feel free to come earlier and set up!

We have a preregistration to let us know in advanced who's coming, and by preregistering, you will get your own customized nametag with your favorite character from Melee! If you plan on 100% coming, I highly suggest doing so by clicking here! Even if you don't preregister, you'll still be allowed a choice of character nametags at the venue itself, but it won't be custom made for you.

Because this is a free preregistration, you won't need to pay until you are at the venue on April 6th. When you get there, please have a form of ID ready with your real name and money ready, for the smoothest transaction we can make.

Please keep in mind that since you are not paying ahead of time, we are paying for these nametags out of pocket. If you are not sure that you are no longer attending the event, please let us know by January 20th so that we know not to make these for you. Be forewarned that if you preregister, and you do not show up at the event, you will no longer be allowed to preregister in the future.

The tournament will also be streamed by ChiboSempai from Clashtournaments and our very own Pakman on their twitch.tv channels! Even if you can't make the event, please support these two and the tournament by tuning into their streams!

There will be a $10 venue fee for everyone who comes in, even for those who only plan to spectate the event. Though this is somewhat of an inconvenience to those who wish to only play friendlies or watch the matches, we do want to keep in mind the amount of space being taken up from those who aren't competing. Please let us know at the door whether or not you are competing in the tournament - if you cannot pay the fee, we unfortunately cannot let you enter the venue. We will NOT accept any excuses - You've been cautioned ahead of time, so please keep this in mind. If someone you know is coming who hasn't checked this thread, please let them know about the fee. You can always change your mind and choose to compete later on as long as you let us know before the event starts - pay the rest of the fee to be entered into the registration.

If you can bring setups, you will be discounted from the venue fee accordingly to the list up top. Bringing a full setup that we'll be using will give you a $5! Setups will be used as needed, and not everyone with setups will get a discount if we do not use it, so in order to get the discount, please come as early as you can.

The most important thing that I can ask of everyone is to enjoy themselves. Please support our revived SMASHACRE series, and we'll see you guys there!

- WoZ

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Nice. I can't wait to see all you guys again.

Tomorrow, I'm heading to the venue to take some pictures, and I'll start putting up some more information as I finalize some things.

Keep spreading the word. :D

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Awesome. :D

If you want some of the updates a bit faster, you can check out the TSA thread. Information on there will be transferred here eventually.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I want to be at this badly. I'll even bring my friends.

EDIT: All noobs to the scene, might I add. Including myself.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Update: Here are some venue pictures to look at while you're waiting. The venue renters were nice enough to make up a mock setup for us.

It's a great space with lots of room to move around inside. Enjoy these pictures as I keep updating the thread with more information!

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Probably not for the first event, but I'm way open for other games to happen in the future.

This first one is more or less me trying to familiarize myself with modern rulesets and getting my pace back.

HOWEVER, I may be open to friendly non-smash games if you bring a TV and setup.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Officially, both Chibo and Pakman are going to be streaming this event. Click on their tags to see their channels.

Unofficially, I'll probably be using the current MBR Ruleset unless announced otherwise, and will update the thread accordingly with that information soon.

I'll be posting Public Transportation information in the next few days, but does anyone need any housing information? I expect some people from out of NJ to come, but I'd like to know if there's a need to know about hotels nearby.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Awesome, thanks.

There are more things in store for the tournament, so stay tuned. I'm incredibly hyped about this, so I hope you guys are too! Keep spreading the word please. :D

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Quick question regarding set ups, does it have to be a Gamecube or will a Wii work? I can do either, I'd just like to know in advance.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Either is fine, that shouldn't be a problem. My recommendation is to label everything that belongs to you.

If you can bring both, that might help out as well just in case we need a backup or so that we can set it up with a TV that needs it.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Either is fine, that shouldn't be a problem. My recommendation is to label everything that belongs to you.

If you can bring both, that might help out as well just in case we need a backup or so that we can set it up with a TV that needs it.
Okay cool. I can definitely bring both but I only have one copy of Melee (that works).

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Alex - I'd love any help I can get, though I probably won't need 30 tv's. Maybe half of it. XD

MAJOR UPDATE! Actual name of tournament posted, poster posted, and PREREGISTRATION!

By preregistering, you can get a customized nametag with a character from Melee in your favorite color! The preregistration is also free! Read the first post for more details, and tell your friends about it!

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Random seeding is done completely by whatever method I use to choose where you'll start in the bracket, most likely I'll be using TIO like I had in the past. The courtesy to crews and location can be used in TIO and should help with people who came together to ensure that they won't face each other in the first rounds of the tournament.

However, I'm not against using other methods to seed players, whether it be by pools or some other means. My main concern is the time I have to use in the venue. If I find that I have plenty of time to spare after this first event, I may consider to do pools in the future.

GOTM

Smash Champion
I think at this point in the game, location is a way higher priority for seeding than crews. There's a lot of crews split up between regions, and the amount of Melee players in tristate would more or less all be considered to be in like 1 of 3 crews haha.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Pre-regged. Sounds funnnnnnnnnn!

Haley if you're going we should do doubles.

Top Bottom