• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Downloadable Title Character/Series thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
First, I know some of the series have a thread (like Dillon), but it might be good to discuss them all at once.

So I wanted to create some discussion on characters and series from downloadable titles. Nintendo hasn't created a lot of new IPs, but with the 3DS, Nintendo and it's partners have created some downloadable titles which could have a character. I'll do a quick preview of each game here.

Pushmo/Cashmo

Pushmo is a clever little title from Intelligent Systems, the guys who made Fire Emblem. In this game, you must navigate a large block structure to save a child on top. Mallo, the game's character, can push blocks back or forward to try and jump and navigate the structure. While there is no fighting, Mallo is a sumo wrestler and is considered quite strong. I've also heard it's sold over 1 million, but I can't find a source.

Dillon's Rolling Western

This game is a tower defense game. Similar to Pikmin, you control the main character, Dillon, who also gets in on the fight. The player has to stop rock creatures called Grocks from getting to the village. During the day, you collect supplies for your towers and village and fight the grocks at sunset. You can use rolling dashes and claw attacks. You can even burrow for a surprise attack. There is a rumored sequel in the works, with the title "The Last Ranger," copyrighted.

Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword

In this game, you control a young boy called simply "Sakurai Samurai,". He's a young warrior who wants to learn the art of sword fighting and is on a quest to save the Cherry Blossom Princess. In this game, you have to fight by dodging and attacking. Like a samurai, you have to find an opening. You can also unleash special moves.

HarmoKnight (video)

This title comes from the Game Freak. The guys behind Pokemon. This game is a platformer where you move forward. But you have to collect notes and hit enemies to the song. There are numerous levels and three different characters. You can even play Pokemon songs. This game isn't out yet.

Feel free to discuss their games and their characters. I will also add more if Nintendo releases others or if there was something I missed.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i wouldnt say no to mallo as playable character (despite his lack of fighting skills)

at the very least they should make a stage based round pullbox/pushmo or fallblox/crashmo

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The Dempa Men is not a Nintendo publication.
I think Nintendo owns Genius Sonority, which is why I put them up there. Of course, I could be wrong. I had trouble the other day figuring who has them. If it turns out I'm wrong, I'll remove it.

i wouldnt say no to mallo as playable character (despite his lack of fighting skills)

at the very least they should make a stage based round pullbox/pushmo or fallblox/crashmo
Pushmo is perfect for a stage. That at least should happen.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Genius Sonority is an independent company as far as I know. The Dempa Men in particular was published and developed by Genius Sonority.

Anyway to stay a little bit, I think if we're going with choices at this point I think it would be Mallo or Dillon at this point, with the Sakura Samurai going to be overlooked by Takamaru. But at the same time I'm not expecting any as a playable character at this point unless something says otherwise, but probably as assist trophies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm all for a Pushmo/Crashmo stage, a Dillon AT, and a Sakura Samurai... trophy (maybe some of the elements of the game can be used in Takamaru's stage or something? Just speculating), but I think that's pretty much what those IPs should be limited to, at least for the time being.

SmashChu, maybe you should add a HarmoKnight section as well. I don't see it getting more than an AT or trophy or something, but it's definitely of the same caliber as the others mentioned.

I think Nintendo owns Genius Sonority, which is why I put them up there. Of course, I could be wrong. I had trouble the other day figuring who has them. If it turns out I'm wrong, I'll remove it.
Denpa Men is sort of in the same category as Pulseman or Adventures of Lolo where the IP is privately owned by a subsidiary or 2nd party of Nintendo, and not Nintendo themselves. So no, we wouldn't get any Denpa Men content in SSB4.

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
I just don't see any of the downloadable titles getting playable characters. Maybe an assist trophy or two, but that Pushmo stage does sound pretty cool

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't see why we can't have any of the eShop Nintendo IP's playable in smash just because their games aren't retail (of what I assume is the reason some don't want to see them playable, I could be wrong). Plus Nintendo could use some more newer IP's for smash anyway (not that there weren't any newer IP's such as Chibi Robo after Pikmin and before the eShop IP's or anything.)

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Mallo or Tempo playable in smash. Mallo could have a pretty cool sumo wrestling type moveset and Tempo could have an interesting rythm based moveset.

But yeah. A pushmo/pullblox or crashmo/fallblox stage should definitely happen.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Denpa Men is sort of in the same category as Pulseman or Adventures of Lolo where the IP is privately owned by a subsidiary or 2nd party of Nintendo, and not Nintendo themselves. So no, we wouldn't get any Denpa Men content in SSB4.
Op. Looks like your right.

Publisher: Genius Sonority

I'll take it off then. I wasn't sure. I thought they were a company started by Nintendo, but the Pokemon Company being an independent entity confuses things. I'll take them off and add Harmo Knight. I don't think anything will come of it (same for Drill Dozer), but it would be good to talk about.

I'll get to it eventually, but I'm lazy.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Mallo - sure, a sumo wrestler would be pretty unique.

Dillon - he would be a whole lot more interesting than Sheriff even if he might have a few moves like Sonic.

Sakurai Samurai - he would be cool except he has serious competiton with Takamaru.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
By the way, the protagonist of HarmoKnight is named Tempo if anyone is curious.
Oh is that his name? Sounds pretty fitting seeing as how you have to time yourself with everything in that game.

I edited my first post. Thanks for the correction.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
the only two i see possible are Dillon or Mallo. Dillon more so if there is a sequel in the works and he has a lot more in game material to work with for a moveset. Mallo just feels really passive but he can definately work. a stage for both of these series would be awesome though

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So, I was just watching a YouTube video of HarmoKnight... the gameplay reminds me of the NES Zapper game Gumshoe.

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why we can't have any of the eShop Nintendo IP's playable in smash just because their games aren't retail (of what I assume is the reason some don't want to see them playable, I could be wrong). Plus Nintendo could use some more newer IP's for smash anyway (not that there weren't any newer IP's such as Chibi Robo after Pikmin and before the eShop IP's or anything.)

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Mallo or Tempo playable in smash. Mallo could have a pretty cool sumo wrestling type moveset and Tempo could have an interesting rythm based moveset.

But yeah. A pushmo/pullblox or crashmo/fallblox stage should definitely happen.
It's not that I don't think they can have them, it's just I don't feel as though we'll get any. I'm a big supporter of bringing in new IP's, it's just that they haven't been around for a long time.

Also, some of the retail IP's could really use a possible popularity boost to help prevent their series from dying or falling into obscurity.

But at the same time, the appearance of elements from downloadable titles opens up realms of gaming that Smash players might've overlooked beforehand. So in other words, they should certainly be present in smash, maybe 1 as a playable, but if not, then stages, assists, trophies, sticker, etc galore!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Pushmo stage would be good, but I would like Dillion a character

He should get over his fear of guns. If men he hires can use guns, there is no reason why he can't.

A ricocheting revolver would be fun

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Speaking of Nintendo eShop IP's. I just had a moveset idea for Mallo.

Should I share it here or open up a separate support thread for him?

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
I'd say show it on here. A moveset might help this thread out

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I made a moveset for Mallo. It's not much but here it is.

B: Pushmo
Mallo grabs an opponent, gives them a bear hug, and then pushes them away. The opponents are not thrown but pushed. The opponents slide across great distances on the surface of the stage after being pushed.

Side B: Move Switch
This move is unique in that it can only be performed when Mallo is in the air. When Mallo is in the air, input "Side B" and a floating block (cloud blocks from Crashmo) with a move switch on it appears underneath Mallo. Mallo lands on the switch and causes the block to move in the direction the control stick was pushed (left or right). The block blocks incoming attacks and projectiles and pushes opponents away like the Helirin Assist Trophy.

Up B: Carrier Bird
Mallo's primary recovery move. Mallo hangs onto the feet of a Carrier Bird and they fly together. This move is similar to Snake's Up B recovery move so it does not cover horizontal recovery.

Down B: Manhole
Mallo places a manhole on the ground the first time he inputs "Down B". The next time he inputs "Down B", he places another manhole, regardless whether it is on the ground or in the air, and jumps into the manhole. He then wraps to the first manhole. This can be used as an emergency recovery move, especially when Mallo is close to being knocked out offscreen.

Final Smash: Crashmo
A reset switch appears in front of Mallo. Mallo jumps from the stage to the foreground to step on the switch. A random Crashmo puzzle falls through the stage. Characters are either knocked off the stage or buried underground (Pitfall effect).

I'm not going to bother working out the normal A moves for Mallo. Since he is dressed like a sumo wrestler, I am going to say he should fight like one... to get a better idea of how Mallo's A moves might be like, I am going to suggest E. Honda from Street Fighter II as basis.

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
That's a pretty interesting moveset. The downloadable titles are very unique to Nintendo since this is the first time they've ventured into doing something like that.

The Sakurai Samurai in my opinion has very, very little chance due to Takamaru. But Mallo & Dillon could be surprise additions

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Alright then. I won’t go into too much details but I’ll try to explain as best as I can.

Neutral Special: Flying slam
Basically works the same way as how Bowser does his side special in Brawl. Mallo grabs his opponent and then slams his opponents by jumping up and crushing them to the ground. Though unlike Bowser, Mallo can’t use the claw attack (because he doesn’t have any claws... unless their under his gloves...). In order to avoid making it clone-ish. I would say give Bowser his old Side Special from Melee back and give his Brawl one to Mallo for this.

Side Special: Block Push/Pull
Mallo grabs his opponent and then pushes or pulls them closer to the edge of the stage. During the pull you can press the button again to let him punch or throw his opponent away. His opponents can also resist by pushing/pulling him back.

Up Special: carrier bird
He uses one of Poppy’s birds to fly him upwards. Kinda similar to Snake’s up special but Mallo has more control of where to fly like Pit’s up special, they can also damage any opponents that come in contact with them. After a short time of flight, he will let go and the bird flies away.

Down Special: Shockwave
Mallo does the signature sumo wrestlers Raise-your-feet-in-the-air-and-then-slam-it-to-the-ground move. Once his feet hits the ground it gives off a shockwave that can damage you’re opponents. The longer you charge the move up by holding down the button, the stronger it gets. If you charge the move to it's max, you can save the attack up for later use. Just Like Donkey Kong, Samus etc with their chargeable special moves.

Final Smash: Crashmo/Fallblox reset
Those who have played the games remember the reset switches that you can press on to start over the level if you get stuck. If you played Crashmo/fallblox, when you press those switches the puzzle you couldn’t complete comes falling down from the sky.
This is how I think his final smash would work; As Mallo activates the final smash he slams his feet to the ground getting any nearby opponents stuck to the ground, a reset switch appears next to him on the foreground as he jumps on it and then a Crashmo/Fallblox puzzle falls to the ground hitting you’re opponents and launching them away. Once Mallo finishes his final smash, Poppy’s birds come along and take the puzzle away from the stage and the battle continues.

And that's what I have as his special moves... Looks like Arcadenik ninja'd me. Ahwells, still felt like putting this up. ^^;

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
I like both movesets, and actually chuckled a little at seeing how the movesets actually had some of the same nice similarities

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Hmm... so we have the same Up B and Final Smash. ;)

I originally thought of the "shockwave" move for Mallo's neutral special move and I named it "Greeting Stomp" because Mallo did the stomp after Papa Blox told Mallo to say hello to Poppy. But then I thought that it probably would work better as Smash Down A move.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah that was a nice coincidence.

Hmm... I suppose you're right, that may seem more like a down smash material now that I think about it. Unless Mallo can charge it up like Donkey Kong, Samus, Mewtwo, Lucario and ROB can for their chargeable special attacks and save it up for later use.

I edited my post accordingly.

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... so we have the same Up B and Final Smash. ;)

I originally thought of the "shockwave" move for Mallo's neutral special move and I named it "Greeting Stomp" because Mallo did the stomp after Papa Blox told Mallo to say hello to Poppy. But then I thought that it probably would work better as Smash Down A move.
Yeah, would work well charged up. In a way, Mallo and even Dillon are kinda growing on me

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
First, I finally added HarmoKnight.

Second, I really like the Mallo movesets. They work really well.

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
I just checked out that HarmoKnight video. It looks cool, but if it's not out yet, it's highly, highly unlikely he'll be playable

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I say a Pushmo stage should have tracks from the various Nintendo puzzle games, as little cameos representing their history.

[COLLAPSE="Thoughts"]Pushmo - Challenge
Crashmo - Prototype Levels
Yoshi - BGM
Yoshi's Cookie - Versus Song
Kirby's Avalanche - Forest Stage
Panel De Pon - Flare ~ Flare (Critical Theme)
Art Style: Rotohex - Credits
Panel De Pon - Lip's Theme (Brawl)
Dr. Mario - Chill (Brawl)
Tetris - Type: A (Brawl)
Tetris - Type: B (Brawl)
Dr. Mario - Dr. Mario (Melee)[/COLLAPSE]
Oh Star, you and your silly stages.

Though I do agree with the exception of Yoshi Cookie

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If a Pushmo/Crashmo stage gets in, I think it would be pretty cool if the puzzle is shaped like a Smash Ball (as a 8-bit sprite). Oh, and it should have manholes to function as warp pipes like in the original Mushroom Kingdom stage in Smash 64.

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
That would be an excellent idea for a Pushmo stage. For this type of game, I would actually hope that the Pushmo stage would be sort of gimmicky, and a homage to old classic video games would make it a very interesting addition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom