• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SNK/Playmore thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord

Another thread I've been wishing to make for quite sometime.

Now the reason for this, is that Neo Geo is on the Virtual Console; and it always came to me that a factor on why Sonic came to Brawl, was eased because there were Sega consoles on the VC.

Seeing as Neo Geo was present a bit before Brawl got released, I had the assumption that maybe a SNK character would be present (and that it would be easier than a Capcom rep).

Of course we have to consider SNK doesn't have quite a history with Nintendo unlike other companies, and that we can find Neo Geo games on the PS3 too, so NG games on the VC are not a exclusive. But I am giving it a shot anyway. The following are my top 3 choices to be the SNK rep.

Kyo Kusanagi (lol someone already made an "Brawl Dojo" photoshop back during the previous days to SSBB).

He is the obvious top choice being SNK's main character/mascot. Cocky attitude and ancestral scion flame powers are what this young man packs. He was made by his company to counter "main characters from fighting games" of that era, and specially for their own crossover game, and the company's flagship series the King Of Fighters games. Though many believe he took the rightful place of the one who was considered SNK's mascot before Kyo.

Terry Bogard

The Legendary Hungry Wolf was SNK's mascot before Kyo came in. Everyone loved Terry's charisma, entering a tournament to avenge his father's death by the hands of the ruthless Geese Howard was something that attracted players as they identified with him for the trails and tribulations he had to face. Sure he had "super powers" gained from hard martial arts training, but still was the simple, blue collar hero everyone loved and cheered for. The Fatal Fury franchise was SNK's flagship series. But then came the KOF series, with Kyo... replacing both Fatal Fury and Terry as their flagship and mascot which to date has generated an unforgiving wave by Terry fans to SNK.

Athena Asamiya

Before Terry, Athena was considered SNK's mascot. Back in the 80's; SNK made a game where the greek goddess Athena was the protagonist. In it, the bikini clad goddess, had to make herself of her armor to battle various creatures going through various stages.

Later, a game titled Psycho Soldiers was made in which a young woman whose full name is Athena Asamiya appeared alongside a boy named Sie, and both possesed psychic powers. The characters were lay dorman until 1994 so they could join the KOF games.

Now there are various versions on who trully is Athena. It has been said these 2 are completely different characters, others say that Athena Asamiya is indeed the goddess Athena rei-ncarnate; and there are other lesser theories around. Like that Asamiya borrows the powers from the goddess and such.

For Smash on Athena, my idea is that they are both the same "entity" and have a role similar to Samus/ZZS. Athena's FS is turning into goddess Athena, and likewise. But if she is turned into a goddess... would she be appearing in her bikini for the sake of fan service or in her armor as it makes more sense considering that in her game she gets more powerful from it?

Or we could just go with one of them as separate characters. Asamiya would be the appropiate choice considering she is the one known and has the most "fighting game" appearances.

I said these 3 are my top choices, but some tell me Mai Shiranui should be considered as she is "SNK's first lady" and has a fame which rivals that of Chun Li. But she might be way too sexy for Smash and Athena has more history with SNK being an actual mascot.

Well that is it for now, I know many might not support the idea for a SNK rep specially considering we should not look much on third party characters; but had to place my cents on this; as with SNK being present on Nintendo's VC, it places their characters on a right position for a Smash place.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
AH YU OKAY? BUSTA WURF!

I would go nuts if Terry got into Smash, but sadly it's very unlikely.

I'll try to think of a moveset for him. Right now I'm sure that his ^B should be Rising Tackle, and I think his \/B should be his Power Wave. For nB, his Burn Knuckle, maybe? And either his Crack Shot or a nerfed High Angle Geyser for >B. Though Crack Shot could be his F-Smash. And his FS should definitely be his BUSTA WURF!

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
So you'll make a thread on him or the moveset would be for this thread? Of course I also see Rising Tackle as his up+B.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
So you'll make a thread on him or the moveset would be for this thread? Of course I also see Rising Tackle as his up+B.
I don't think I'll make a thread 'cuz I'm lazy. :p

I just came up with a bit of a moveset, I wasn't really planning to do anything with it.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, the SNK character I've seen with the most support and popularity to get to Smash is the Protagonist from Godslayer

Also known as Crystalis to you folks (NES & GBC Remake)

It's sad though, since the possibility of SNK ever entering any collab with Nintendo is almost zero. I blame the fall of SNK for the current day mentality it has though. Even SEGA managed to slowly get back on its feet,
Except for the recent lawsuit they've made against Level-5 over some BS patent, seriously get your **** together SEGA

I digress, it'd be nice but it's not going to happen. If it does, color me surprised

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I don't think I'll make a thread 'cuz I'm lazy. :p

I just came up with a bit of a moveset, I wasn't really planning to do anything with it.
LOL, same with me. Either I am lazy or busy; and right now I have some time free from work.

But most of the time because I have too much to say, but don't know how to place the ideas in order nor how to use English words I don't use quite often lol.

@MasterMushroom oh yeah. Crystalis, quite an underated game and is more famous for giving some bogus end of the world date lol. Yeah, the main character seems fit for this considering he is the SNK character with more ties to Nintendo... but doesn't Nintendo owns now the rights to Godslayer/Crystalis? Correct me if I am wrong.

And yeah, SNK may not have much of a chance... but still let's make some noise and see what happens.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
but doesn't Nintendo owns now the rights to Godslayer/Crystalis? Correct me if I am wrong.
If I recall correctly, the rights are still fully owned by SNK. Nintendo just needed to get the appropriate and temporary licensing from SNK; just to place it on the GBC. If they were to release it for the Virtual console; they'd have to renew the terms/conditions of a contract they've made ages ago

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
So anyway, if any SNK/Playmore character made it in, what music would you guys want in? If Terry got in, I think he should get his MotW, KoF13, and, FF2/Special themes.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wouldn't mind a Metal Slug character like Marco Rossi. If it's a fighting game character by SNK, I'd go with Raiden from Fatal Fury. A wrestler would be pretty cool and unique. Otherwise, I don't expect a SNK character in Smash.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I wouldn't mind a Metal Slug character like Marco Rossi. If it's a fighting game character by SNK, I'd go with Raiden from Fatal Fury. A wrestler would be pretty cool and unique. Otherwise, I don't expect a SNK character in Smash.
I don't really expect one either. However, If one were to get in, I think it should be Terry, since he was something of a mascot for the company and all.

I think if they want to get a Metal Slug character, Marco would definitely be the best choice.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
My personal choice, if the SNK rep came from Metal Slug, would be Fio. As in we need more female characters and basically would have similar moves to Marco if he got in.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
SNK suck.

They sold their crappy 16 bit system for $650, and the games for $100-200.

TBH I didn't even know of the system back in the 90's, but once I found out about that I found it really stupid.

I also only played 2 of their games. Metal Slug and Crystalis. I don't even recognize any characters from Capcom VS SNK, one reason I never got the game

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
SNK suck.

They sold their crappy 16 bit system for $650, and the games for $100-200.

TBH I didn't even know of the system back in the 90's, but once I found out about that I found it really stupid.
The Neo-Geo wasn't 16-bit, it had a combintation of 8, 16, and 32-bit processor. It was basically an arcade machine, so yeah, it was going to be expensive.

I don't even recognize any characters from Capcom VS SNK, one reason I never got the game
That's because you

only played 2 of their games. Metal Slug and Crystalis.
And the CVS series largely drew from SNK's fighters, mostly King of Fighters.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Haomaru might be good too. He is from Samurai Showdown which was also considered a flagship series before KOF and he is quite iconic, but as a samurai; maybe Takamaru will cover that.

Also from Samurai Showdown, Nakoruru. She was used by SNK on their first intercrossovers so basically she is the SNK icon for crossovers.

She could use her animals as part of her attacks.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Really, I say it's easier to make a moveset for any SNK Fighting Game Character(ADK included) than it is to make one for a Capcom FG character(due to having less specials and not really changing that much).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom