• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Top 5 Brawl Thread! US/Can/Mex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Hello! Welcome to the new Top 5 Brawl Thread!

"Why would anyone want another top 5 thread? No one liked it!" I may hear some of you say.
Well, simply put, I think it is important to keep an active record of the current meta-game in North America. Keeping a list of the top 5 for each character will be helpful in many ways! For example, if you wanted to apply for the BBR, a spot in a crew, or to be added to the Top 5 as one of the best, you could note other players you've beaten which are already Top 5. Everyone knows Denti is a good olimar, but exactly how good is that? With a list, you can not say "He's a top oli" but say, with more accuracy, "He is the 2nd best oli." Now, if Pwii beats Denti, and wants to apply for the BBR as a top player, he can say "See, I beat the 2nd best Olimar in NA!"

It's also helpful for new players to know who to watch videos of, who to expect to be good, who to want to model themselves after, etc. etc. As well as gives other ranked players incentive to get better. Because maybe Denti doesn't want to settle for 2nd best, maybe he wants to be THE best. Now there is a concrete goal, with a concrete list, and he can actually achieve the official status of the Best Olimar in North America.

But why, after seeing the last list fail, make a new one? That thread was booty. I'll admit. It didn't go well.

I would like to take a different approach, and have every character board discuss the top 5 in their own boards. And when they reach a conclusion, they can link the their respective top 5 discussion thread. Then, this thread will list all the Top 5's, and link to the original thread in the respective character board. How they come up with their own list is their business, but things to take into account are: Tournament placing, activity, other players they've beat, how much money they've made, or anything like that.

This helps keep some traffic out of this thread, keeps the trolling/flaming down, and hopefully will make for an accurate list of all the top players in the continent.

Thanks for reading! If this needs to be moved or anything, feel free to do so(or just lock it if you a dirty hater :/)

Tesh

Smash Hero
That thread was alot of fun for the same reason it was locked. Good luck getting mods to allow it again.

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
I was actually just wondering where this had gone. I wanted to check it when someone on the ddd boards asked who to search on for good videos. But then suddenly no reference material for me to look at. Thank you for trying to bring this back. it is a useful resource especially for newer players.

:phone:

Kawaii Poyo

Smash Champion
Well if this doesn't get locked...

M2K for best MK again, he's beaten Vinnie past two times they played and Nairo past five times.

L_Cancel for 4th best Olimar, he beat Salem.

Serynder for second best Jiggs (only behind Puffster), can't think of tourney results he has with Jiggs because he usually goes MK in tourney but he beat Tyrant in an MM with Jiggs which should mean something considering like... No Jiggs have results of any sort lately other than Mink? Haven't seen Puffster in results lately.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Puffster quit.
But serynder is the bomb. He also beat JRUGS with puff. Anywho, that'll have to be discussed in the puff boards.

Can I get a mod or BRoomer to back me on this thread? I'd like to have that before going and trying to post around the different character boards.

Also I potentially would have this locked while discussing each characters top 5 in their respective board so you guys don't just sit in here and troll. Then maybe unlock it for a bit for discussion.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Before a mod or BBR member can back you we're gonna have to decide if this should even stay open. Thanks for asking us before making the thread, by the way.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
It's nice that you're trying to get something started again but i honestly think someone else should be in charge of the thread which is why I think this should be closed. No offense.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm out of town right now and don't have too much time to spend on this but I'll give some quick thoughts:

I don't want a thread open for it, much less a thread in every character board open for this. Modding one thread was hard enough with the discussions it brought up, I can't even imagine trying to keep track of 35+ topics. I tried to keep the thread open for a very long time, when it was taking too much of my time and obviously not worth the effort I closed it. I had people practically beg me to open it and mods say they would watch it so I opened it again. Every time I checked on the thread it was filled with either spam or flaming.

Threads like this just don't work, people take others opinions way too seriously and people don't know how discuss things like this in a civil manner, not even mentioning all the trolling and spamming(which is ALREADY happening in this thread). The top 5 of a character after a certain point(usually the 1st or 2nd) is subjective anyways.

The ONLY way I would allow something like this to happen again is if it was a stickied, closed topic. So no posting allowed in it, and no thread will be allowed to be made about it on the boards. The owner of this thread would have to contact people from the character boards, or players in general and get them to have a discussion either in a social group or in a skype chat or some other VOIP and get them to give a list. The owner would put what players he got the list from.

Even doing all of that, it's still going to spark negative discussion on the boards in various topics that will be difficult to keep track of. I honestly think it's better for people getting in the scene to ask around for who others think the best players are instead of just looking at a list. Asking around for opinions shows you how differently people think as well as bias and can lead to a well informed opinion through research. Newer players to the scene should have no problems finding out who good players of a character are.

As far as bolstering scenes with it, I would start with state power rankings first, as those pretty much died out(aside from a few very active areas) and can bolster a scene more than a top 5 list would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom