• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Champion of Fossils: Fossil Fighters for SSB4

Status
Not open for further replies.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion

Fossil Fighters is a newer Nintendo IP with two titles under its belt since Brawl. It's a turn-based RPG with a very simple concept. Dig up the fossils of Vivosaurs, revive them, battle with them to become a Master Fighter. In some aspects its similar to another popular franchise which shall remain nameless. However due to the way you obtain your Vivosaurs and many other aspects within the games it does stand out as its own series. though admittedly it is a monster fighting game.

Now who would be the representative of this series. Personally I see it going one of two ways.

First off you could rely on the title protagonist (Default name is Dino or Dina depending on gender). Utilizing the excavating tools within the game consisting of a Pickaxe, a Hammer, and even a Drill. Even a possibility of a moveset involving a summoning feature to show off the Vivosaurs within the game.

Off the top of my head
Up B summons a Ptera grabbing its leg and flying upwards.
Forward B summons Tricera running forward ramming the opponent
Down B Slams his Pickaxe into the ground
Final Smash Summons T-Rex Lord who would essentially do what Giga Bowser does now.

Or Use the Vivosaur who appears on the cover of both games, T-Rex

Easily a larger character in the realm of Smash, T-Rex would be another powerhouse character. this Vivosaur would utilize bites, scratches and can breath fire. Maybe is Final Smash turns him into the T-Rex Lord.

[COLLAPSE="Music for Fossil Fighters Stage"]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqni_2G7ypU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYOQSrkeL6A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT943SLaX-I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-JHGUxCJWc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqni_2G7ypU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mizH-pubhsw[/COLLAPSE]

Pros
1. New Nintendo IP developed by their in house team.
2. Both games each received mostly positive reviews on average getting a rating of around 8/10 from IGN as well as Nintendo Power and Game Informer
3. Both games sold fairly well, in the U.S, Fossil Fighters was able to move 92,000 units in less than a month after its release while in Japan it was the 15th best selling game of that year.

Cons
1. Too similar to Pokemon.
2. Not the most notable of the newer IPs.

Supporters
3Bismyname
GoldenYuiitusin
Dark Phazon
Frostwraith
Diddy Kong

If anyone has suggested movesets for either Dino/Dina or T-Rex please feel free to let me know. I'll add them up top.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think the similarities with Pokemon might be undermined if it focuses on Dino/Dina with a more active role. They are capable of wielding drills and mallets, so it wouldn't be too far off.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I want to try this game, depending on the gameplay.

Is it an RPG? Is it turn based? etc.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Here's the technical description for the battles themselves.

In a Fossil Battle, each side can use anywhere from one to three Vivosaurs, placed in Attack and Support Zones. Each side has four Zones: one Attack Zone (AZ) that must be occupied at all times, two Support Zones (SZ) occupied by the second and third Vivosaurs at the beginning of the battle, and an Escape Zone (EZ) that cannot be occupied until an SZ Vivosaur is switched to the AZ position, at which point the AZ Vivosaur will retreat to the EZ.
Vivosaurs in the Attack Zone deal more damage and can attack both the enemy AZ and the enemy SZ, but will also come under fire from all three enemy positions and takes more damage than Vivosaurs in the SZ.

A Vivosaur in the SZ will take less damage than one in the AZ, but will also have its Attack power reduced (with some exceptions). However, SZ positions can apply Support Effects to either their own or the enemy AZ which can either increase or lower stats (but not LP). It should be noted that some Vivosaurs reduce their allies' stats or increase the enemy's stats and may be better utilized in the AZ. However, support effects are not universal, as some Vivosaurs lack them entirely. A Vivosaur in the SZ can only attack enemy Vivosaurs in the AZ position (not including Team Skills).

The Escape Zone causes Vivosaurs placed in it to be unattackable (even by the few skills that hit both AZ and SZ) but also does not allow EZ Vivosaurs to attack. Vivosaurs in the EZ will not apply support effects and have no effect on the battle until they return to an SZ two turns later. A Vivosaur can end up in the EZ if an SZ Vivosaur is swapped with the AZ Vivosaur, or the AZ Vivosaur is knocked there. If a Vivosaur is forced into the EZ by a Knock skill, it will return to the SZ only one turn later, instead of two. Vivosaurs cannot be placed into the EZ until after the battle has started.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
it sure would be a nice surprise in SSB4. considering that Sakurai usually puts a lot of obscure and Japan-only stuff, we may expect something from this game.

the characters would bring something new to the Smash Bros. series.

for me, the good idea would be having the main characters (male and female would be costume+voice swaps) and have the T-Rex as a Final Smash. though, having a playable T-Rex would be awesome too.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
it sure would be a nice surprise in SSB4. considering that Sakurai usually puts a lot of obscure and Japan-only stuff, we may expect something from this game.

the characters would bring something new to the Smash Bros. series.

for me, the good idea would be having the main characters (male and female would be costume+voice swaps) and have the T-Rex as a Final Smash. though, having a playable T-Rex would be awesome too.
What exactly would it bring new to Smash?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
it's a previously unrepresented IP and has potential for a summoner style character.

EDIT: also dinosaurs, 'nuff said. :awesome:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just bought the first game and am going to check it out (They didn't have the second)

All I got to say from my first impression.

I'm picking the t-rex because t-rex are awesome

The art sucks in the game so far.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am actually quite interessted in this series as well. That T-Rex especially looks awesome, and would want it by its looks alone (yes I can be shallow if I want). And because a T-Rex would be awesome to play as.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ok, I finally found Fossil Fighters 2

I decided to start with the brontosaurus thing, because the way I figure, I'm getting a T-Rex anyway so I wouldn't want to start with the t-rex looking thing because that would be redundant.

I hope that doesn't effect anything later...

I started with a altispinus in the other game, I think everyone does, and kept it on my team for the time I played it.

I picture the first thing you get like pokemon, where you keep your starter the entire game

D

Deleted member

..I thought that the two starters in Champions were a T-Rex or a Triceratops, depending on your gender? Or did I hear wrong?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Actually at the beginning of the game, you get to pick between four different vivosaurs: Aeros, Toba, Tsintao, or Dimetro.

Gender has nothing to do with.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
..I thought that the two starters in Champions were a T-Rex or a Triceratops, depending on your gender? Or did I hear wrong?
No, actually the first dinosaur you get after your starter is a triceratops.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yeah, I picked the toba because I knew it would give some good support effects, and because I knew that the main dinosaur I wanted was the T-Rex. So if I picked the Aeros, it would have been replaced eventually anyway.

My strategy for the games is nothing special. Simply put a T-rex-like thing in Attack position, and 2 dinosaurs that buff the T-rex-like thing in support position.

Right now I have a Raja, a Goyle, and the Toba with the Goyle and Toba giving the Raja some major buffs.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
So, I've decided.

Next Smash Brothers, no matter who gets in or doesn't get in in this installment, a Fossil Fighter character will be my most supported character. The potential is so great, and with the next console not fore at least five years, maybe Sakurai will hand the project off to someone else. No matter what, I'll be really really disappointed if another great mobile-only series is ignored by Sakurai (I love you, Starfy, always and forever.)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
This seems like a really cool franchise that Sakurai would actually take some interest in, honestly. The fact that so few people here have even commented on it makes me think it actually would be all the more likely.

Last edited:

bennett999

Smash Rookie
Now thinking about it the Vivosaurs may be used in the Smash Brothers games after this one but used like the Pokémon in the pokeballs but with the coins

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would the Fossil Fighter's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Hey guys, according to this list, how would the Fossil Fighter's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:
Certainly these 2.

Pokemon-master

Smash Apprentice
NNID
fadi
3DS FC
0791-2291-3156
here is a move set i made for the trex
the thoughts i had behind this was how bad he is in the back of your team (or far range) and how he kills close up (he's even called a close range vivasour) so i figure he wold play like little mac but insted of sucky air game he cant space worth crap

size and weight would be bowser sized (or bigger)
low jump but suprisigly speedy run

Neutral B Tyrant's Roar
it works like a charge up atack like samus or lucario butinsted of shooting a long range blast it will be a huge blast of fire right in front of him

side B super chomp
he slightly ponces in the direction you wanted him to and he latches on to them like wario but doing small fire damage

up B fossil cannon
this is where i get cheeky from the game i know the fossil cannon only shoots fossil but i think it works it will spawn (a tiny version the real one is huge) like sonics or megamans but it shoots him slightly diagnoly

final smash either evolve or law of the jungle
i have 2 ideas for this the first the copout option is he evolves to trex lord and it will work like gigamac or giga bowser

second and the one i like he does a huge roar and suddenly a bunch on vivasours start charging the vivasoars run around like gogoat the roar gives the opponents the scare condition so they move alot slower and the cant walk toward trex

and some cool colors and alternet costumes

this was easy just use his colers from super revival for his colers

and some alternet costumes can be bone rex zombie rex and super revival trex

(and yes if you cant tell i am a huge fan of fossil fighters)

EDIT: i found this song this has to be in the game it looks like its straight out ou Disney XD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07qM4X15sMY

Last edited:

Pokemon-master

Smash Apprentice
NNID
fadi
3DS FC
0791-2291-3156

Mewtwoultima

Smash Apprentice
You know, I think this would make for a really cool character. One that has a summoning fighting style, but more deeper and with nice potential here and there. Right now, I'm surfing for reps no one has really thought of yet as their aren't really any obvious and high requested reps left as most of them are playable now. Of course, I plan to make a dream roster and possibly a video explaining my ideas on who I think would make for great character choices and its nice to not go with boring and predictable ones to. I like exotic ones like duck hunt dog and mr. game and watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom