• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah, Sage of Shadow

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah warrior

Impa, the Sage of Shadow

Impa, Defender of the Royal Bloodline and one of Hyrule's most ancient ancestral allies

Impa has appeared in more Zelda games than any other LoZ character that is not already in Smash Bros and is pretty much the only reoccurring good-guy from LoZ left.

There are several options for Impa's inclusion that are discussed in the thread:
1. Impa is introduced as an entirely new character.
2. Impa is introduced as a clone of Sheik with a new Down B.
3. Impa replaces Sheik in the Zelda/Sheik character combo with Skyward Sword Zelda and Skyward Sword Impa as a tag team combo.
4. Impa replaces Sheik, but the Zelda character combo is separated, leaving an independent Zelda character and an independent Impa, each with a new Down Special.
5. Impa as an alternate costume of Sheik and that's it.
6. Impa as an Assist Trophy.

There are a lot of opinions about what would be most appropriate, with the most common opinion being that Sheik should not be replaced. While Sheik's relevance to the Zelda series has dropped off due to only being a character in Ocarina of Time, her being a Smash veteran lends to a lot of support.

Specials Moveset for Impa as an entirely new character

SPECIALS:
UP, Darting Shadows
Impa fades into a shadowy silhouette which then splits into four shadows that move away in a cross formation. After traveling a bit, Impa will reappear in one of the shadows based off of a direction indicated. and the others will detonate for a small amount of damage.
(example: If you activate it in the air and indicate to the right, the shadows will spread out in a + and Impa reappears on the right. If indicating up and left, the shadows would instead spread out in a X.)

SIDE, Escalating Barrage
A multi-stage projectile assault, essentially a ranged version of Marth's side B.
1. Impa tosses a simple dagger to the side indicated.
2. Side: Tosses two weak daggers, slightly angled up and down.
- Down: Scatters caltrops onto the ground that will make enemies take damage and trip (disappear after a short while).
- Up: Throws up an arcing double-sided sickle at a 45 degree angle that cuts through enemies as it falls back to the ground.
3. Side: A flurry of three weak daggers.
- Down: Drops a bomb in front of her that goes off in a few seconds. Dangerous for those who just tripped on the caltrops and are stunned on top of it.
- Up: Throws a handful of (weak) deku nuts in a 45 degree arc. Does damage on impact, no real launch or stun.

NEUTRAL, Umbral Orb
Impa starts summoning a growing crystal ball into her hand. Once fully grown or interrupted by shielding, she can throw it where it will explode on impact. While it will not explode in her hand, if dropped or thrown without hitting anything it will start to flash and then explode. Similar to a chargeable version of Link's bombs.

DOWN, Mark of the Sheikah
Impa enters a focused pose and deflects the next attack against her; a melee hit is negated and projectiles are just disintegrated. The attacker is then marked by the Sheikah symbol above their head for a few seconds. While marked, the target gets stunned instead of launched when hit allowing a skilled Impa character to quickly rack up damage.

TAUNTS
1. Forms a Sheikah meditative pose.
2. Puts two fingers to her mouth and whistles a quick victory anthem.
3. Deftly tosses two knives into the air and then balances them on her fingertips before she puts them away.

Modified Moveset for Impa as a replacement for Sheik, separated from Zelda and given a new Down+B, given a new Final Smash, and rebalanced for an independent playstyle

Neutral B, Needle Fan
The same move as Sheik's, except that saving a fully-charged handful of needles will raise the damage and lower the knockback of her A attacks that use her fists. It just makes sense, she's holding a fan of stabbing blades and it would make it more unique. Also, wouldn't mind if the needles were thrown in a slight cone, nicer visual effect.

Side B, Shadow Scourge
Same as Sheik's chain move, more shadow themed. It's not a great move, I wouldn't mind seeing it vastly improved or replaced, I could see a Sheikah warrior with a move similar to the Starfox characters' Side-Bs, maybe one that stuns briefly instead of actually knocking them away.

Up B, Vanish
Sheik's up-B is pretty ninja as it is, I would feel just fine with it being Impa's.

Neutral B, Umbral Orb
Impa starts summoning a growing crystal ball into her hand. Once fully grown or interrupted by shielding, she can throw it where it will explode on impact. While it will not explode in her hand, if dropped or thrown without hitting anything it will start to flash and then explode. Similar to a chargeable version of Link's bombs.

Final Smash, Umbral Shroud
The stage and characters take on a strange, shadowy glow as all the enemies are slowed greatly. Impa freely moves about for a few seconds doing as much damage to her foes as she can, as enemies are not launched until the Shroud ends. When it does, each foe is blasted away based off of how much damage was dealt to them during the Shroud.

New Item: GOSSIP STONE
When the gossip stone spawns on the battlefield, it will simply sit there like terrain that blocks movement and can be stood upon. However, when attacked, it will react differently based off of what hit it.
- Weak attacks will make it shake quickly like JELL-O, hurting and knocking away players near/on it.
- Magical/Energy attacks will make it start spinning and warping, turning it into a temporary trap as it rapidly slaps anything nearby.
- Strong attacks like smash attacks will knock it away, hurting enemies hit by it.
- Explosives will make it start to flash and beep, followed by it launching into the sky like a dangerous rocket that explodes once it's gone high enough.
- A strong attack from above will flatten the stone. The next person/object to land on top of it will then get launched into the air as it springs back into shape.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Thanks for the reminder, SmashShadow. Some choice pics are added.

I feel like dropping and orb to cover her escape is rather similar to what the Up-B is already? The move could certainly stand to have more flair though, replacing the tiny deku nut pop with a giant, smoky orb.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
That orb didn't just cause a flash though. It was a bomb to destroy the portal. Deku nuts are different in the fact that the don't really explode but rather burst into light.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Finally an Impa support thread! Diddy Kong should have made it a long time ago and you just usurped his thunder. :troll:

IMO, both Impa and Tingle should get in Smash. They are pretty much the only Zelda recurring characters with the most appearances and they actually fought. The others like Malon, Talon, Ingo, etc. don't fight even though they appeared in a few games.

:phone:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I was completely surprised that there wasn't one already when I searched for it, especially after seeing Diddy being so excited about her in three different threads. Ohhhh wellll, at least here's me giving him credit for partially inspiring me to make the danged thread.

According to the Zelda wiki, Impa's been at least refered to in 7 different games. I find that pretty impressive. And Tingle... oh. 8. If you're counting spin-offs that have little to do with LoZ. Man. Well, that's for a different thread since Tingle brings up a general fear of clowns and molesters.

Impa is from a warrior tribe of gypsy-ninjas that was created by one of the goddesses. Her awesomeness cannot be denied.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So an Impa thread came to be. After 3 times doing an effort with making one and the server logging me out everytime I posted the threads (with full made movesets and all) I gave up. So I'm glad it's finally there.

So yeah, I support Impa. A very re-occuring character, a surprise revival in Skyward Sword, a very deep and misunderstood role in Skyward Sword, and on top of that there's moveset potential plenty.

First of all, she could end up being tagged with Zelda as a duo character, a litteral spiritual revival of Zelda/Sheik. Second, she could finally be the standalone 'Sheik', while Sheik herself gets out.

Made a moveset in my blog kinda thing I made earlier this year: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=317682 . Your allowed to use it of coarse as long as you credit me, not yourself. :reverse: I'll probably rework the thing though, and will add specials and what not.

In the 'Character Archetype' thread, I also came up for the idea of Impa using different stances during fighting. Sort of how some Tekken characters do this. Would differenciate herself from Sheik more, and she could have a litteral stance that copies some of Sheik's moves / playstyle while her other stances have unique moves. This would also make her a sort of 'transformation' character, and that would be a nice throwback to Sheik.

Also, I'm pretty positive Impa could be the character that Sakurai used his figurine for in the latest tweet of him. Those poses are EXACTLY how I'd picture Impa would fight, it's almost scary...

Anyways: IMPA 4 SMASH!

EDIT: My moveset I made a while back, will work on it and possibly do a complete moveset even.

B: Timeshift Orb. A magical orb like attack that when struck, slows the enemy for Impa like the Timer item, but for a shorter amount of time. Need to be charged up like the Needles Sheik has, and travels about as fast but it has slightly less reach, and does no damage on impact, but it's very useful nonetheless.

Side B: Sheikah Barrier. A magical attack where Impa blocks / wards of any type of attack. In a way similar to Zelda's Nayru's Love, as it can also reflect projectiles, but only when the barrier is at full strenght (the damage from the projectile would still apply on the barrier). It can take up to 40% damage, and like the Wario Waft it's a building up move. When pressing B while using the move, Impa counters, and does a little damage, plus enough hitstun for her to attack again. If the Barrier takes more than 40% damage for Impa, effect is like a shield break.

Up B: Vanish. Like Sheik's. Basically the same thing.

Down B: This is either warping into Zelda, tag team-like, or if Impa is separate; the Deku Nut. Works like the item in Brawl, but does no damage or knockback like it does in Brawl, only stunning.

D

Deleted member

If we absolutely must have Impa in Smash, it better not be to replace Sheik, which is one of the worst ideas that keeps getting suggested.

You're better off trying to convince others that Impa should take the fifth slot.

D

Deleted member

Damn, I shouldn't have held off on making the (Fat) Impa thread. :troll:

Anyways, my stance on Impa: As long as she doesn't replace Sheik, she's ok.
Zelda/Sheik could be the switch between mage and ninja.
Impa would be if they were both at the same time.

D

Deleted member

Damn, I shouldn't have held off on making the (Fat) Impa thread. :troll:

Anyways, my stance on Impa: As long as she doesn't replace Sheik, she's ok.
Won't lie, I wanted to make a parody of an Impa thread for lulz, but I held off due to the likelihood of such thread closing and as much as I hate the idea of Impa getting in, it wouldn't reflect well upon me to insult those who don't hate Impa.

I just hope that Diddy Kong once and for all keeps discussion in regards to Impa here.

D

Deleted member

Fat Impa or bust.
(Well, Fat Impa has bust either way, so...)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think an easy way of keeping everyone happy is to simply give Impa a Sheik alternate costume, model change and everything.

I like the idea where Zelda and Impa function in a Tekken Tag fashion where they can tag in and out of combos and even have Tag Assault.

D

Deleted member

We need more heavyweight females. Fat bottomed girls make the rockin' world go round, so they need some love too.
Fat Impa or no Impa.
Besides, the Fat Impa is the most recurring Impa with TWO GAMES as opposed to one for OoT Impa and SS Impa.
Old Impa from the Zelda and Zelda II manuals doesn't count since she didn't actually appear in the games; just the manuals. :troll:

EDIT: Clearly Fat Impa is best Impa to use. She can even chuck COWS at people.
I don't think we have any cattle tossing in Smash yet.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Replacing Sheik with another character who would essentially just take the old moveset is pointless. If Impa was different from Sheik, then ok, but definitely not as a replacement

The best chance for Impa is to take Sheik's spot for Skyward Sword Zelda, while Sheik is still there for the Ocarina of Time 3D alternate costume.

Ghirahim makes more sense as a fifth spot.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Guess i'll post this here too.

How would people feel if Sheik was removed from Zelda, replaced by Impa as a separate character and Sheik was made into an alternate skin for Impa who would inherit her moveset except for down B and Final Smash?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That's what I said earlier. It's a win-win in my opinion.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I honestly feel it would be better if Impa was the alternate, if only to keep all the veterans possible as the actual characters. This way, at least a veteran isn't demoted to a costume.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I honestly feel it would be better if Impa was the alternate, if only to keep all the veterans possible as the actual characters. This way, at least a veteran isn't demoted to a costume.
Oh, you mean, like what happened with Mega Man in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 where Mega Man appeared as a costume for Zero?

But then again, I have always believed that if Sakurai had kept Ness but CHANGED HIS NAME TO NINTEN, there would be an outcry over this because it's not Ness. :rolleyes:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sort of, yeah. In my opinion, it's almost demeaning. I dunno, just my opinion.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I wouldn't say it's demeaning. With the right mechanics, you could justify the change. Like, if we went wit tag based mechanics, Sheik would be impossible to do it with, but Impa could work.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Personally, I just want Zelda to be able to shine on her own without the help(or rather distraction) of either Sheik or Impa.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa haters are Waluigi fanboys who are mad cause I posted that Blue Shell Final Smash suggestion or something. :smirk:

Impa can be a stand alone character, as well as a tag team with Zelda with tagging through Down B like Sheik, but as Kuma also said last page, they could also interswitch between moves. It gives them far more options to work with at least than Zelda/Sheik ever could. And Zelda/Sheik isn't even as unique anymore with the coming of Pokemon Trainer and Zero Suit Samus (a change in a FAR MORE important veteran -original 8 and all-: SAMUS)

The Deku Nut can also become an attack for Impa I always thought. It's already an item in Brawl, so why not?

Anyways, the trolls can stop now. :glare:

D

Deleted member

Zero Suit Samus is incomparable.
You can switch between Zelda and Sheik at will. You can only go from Samus to ZSS at will. The main way to swtich between the two is Final Smash.
As for Pokemon Trainer, unlike Sheilda, you are required to switch due to the Stamina mechanic, and you auto-switch with every KO.
Not the same situation.

And bear in mind, you're making an unwarranted attack on a fanbase completely unrelated to what is being discussed, when the only Waluigi "fanboy" that posted here is myself, and I've actually stated I'm ok with Impa as long as she doesn't replace Sheik and has both a ninja and mage style of fighting as compared to Sheilda, who switches between styles.

EDIT: Also, since talking about Fat Impa is on topic as it is Impa, I won't stop talking about her.
She arguably brings more to the table than Twig Impa, being of a unique body type (compared to other Smash female characters), and fighting style (CATTLE TOSSING!!!!).
She's also been in more games. (Since Zelda/Zelda II Impa only appeared in manuals)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've ever liked the character Impa in any form.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think Impa (Skyward Sword version) is very likely to get in. But whether it's as a full-fledged character, or as Sheik's replacement for Zelda's Down+B move, or as an alternate costume for Sheik, I don't know... but I am very certain we will see Impa (Skyward Sword version) in the game in some form.

[collapse=Derp Impa for SSB4]
[/collapse]

:awesome:
Wait... is Link copping a feel? :troll:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If we absolutely must have Impa in Smash, it better not be to replace Sheik, which is one of the worst ideas that keeps getting suggested.

You're better off trying to convince others that Impa should take the fifth slot.
Even if Diddy Kong suggests that Impa take the fifth slot but then if (and that's a big IF) Sakurai actually does replace Sheik with Impa, these people are going to be butthurt anyway. I think it's better to brace ourselves for any changes whether we like it or not. Whether Sheik is replaced by Impa or not, it is not going to shock me either way. I am afraid that those people who keep denying the "Impa would replace Sheik" notion is going to be in a rude awakening if it ever comes to pass.

D

Deleted member

Even if Diddy Kong suggests that Impa take the fifth slot but then if (and that's a big IF) Sakurai actually does replace Sheik with Impa, these people are going to be butthurt anyway. I think it's better to brace ourselves for any changes whether we like it or not. Whether Sheik is replaced by Impa or not, it is not going to shock me either way. I am afraid that those people who keep denying the "Impa would replace Sheik" notion is going to be in a rude awakening if it ever comes to pass.
Why would Sakurai replace Sheik with Impa? Sheik is already an established Melee veteran who is a very popular character. Put up a poll and a vast majority of people will prefer Sheik returning over Impa.

Not to mention that Skyward Sword already has a far better choice for a newcomer in Ghirahim, who is decently popular and despite his one-shot status, is important to the franchise. If Zelda gets a fifth newcomer, why not add him instead of butchering a beloved pairing for another pairing that most people are strongly against?

Realistically, the only way Impa will get in is if Sakurai expands the alternate costume to have Impa as an alternate costume of Sheik. People have every right to become furious if Sheik were to be replaced by Impa.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I read all that but I still say this. Popular Opinion =/= Reality. Sakurai doesn't always do the popular thing.

Popular Opinion: Lyn, Midna, Krystal, Samurai Goroh, Isaac, Deoxys, Ray MK III, Ridley, etc. for Brawl!
Reality: They are not playable in Brawl.

Popular Opinion: Brawl won't have any cuts.
Reality: Mewtwo, Pichu, Roy, Dr. Mario, and Young Link were cut from Brawl.

Popular Opinion: Brawl won't have any more clones.
Reality: Lucas, Toon Link, and Wolf are the new clones.

Popular Opinion: Ganondorf will be decloned and get a sword in Brawl.
Reality: Ganondorf is still a clone of Captain Falcon in Brawl.

Who's to say it won't happen again in SSB4?

D

Deleted member

I read all that but I still say this. Popular Opinion =/= Reality. Sakurai doesn't always do the popular thing.

Popular Opinion: Lyn, Midna, Krystal, Samurai Goroh, Isaac, Deoxys, Ray MK III, Ridley, etc. for Brawl!
Reality: They are not playable in Brawl.

Popular Opinion: Brawl won't have any cuts.
Reality: Mewtwo, Pichu, Roy, Dr. Mario, and Young Link were cut from Brawl.

Popular Opinion: Brawl won't have any more clones.
Reality: Lucas, Toon Link, and Wolf are the new clones.

Popular Opinion: Ganondorf will be decloned and get a sword in Brawl.
Reality: Ganondorf is still a clone of Captain Falcon in Brawl.

Who's to say it won't happen again in SSB4?
That is true, but there isn't any benefit to adding Impa over Sheik. Sheik is a highly popular Melee veteran with an unique switching system with Zelda. Impa is a character most would prefer to stay out of Smash at all cost and adding Impa over Sheik would result in a larger backlash than Mewtwo did.

Impa also fails all four of Sakurai's criteria, so I think Sakurai isn't stupid enough to replace a beloved Melee character with someone that most resent the idea of getting in.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Ah man, I'd forgotten how troll-ish Smashboards can be. For the record, I'm gonna say that there if it came down to it and there could only be one more Zelda character, there are others that I'd see in before Impa. However, you can't complain about people talking about Impa in other topics and then start discussing which other characters you'd rather see instead.

As for the separation... honestly, I just wish all of the combo characters were separate, fully made and fully balanced characters. The series has enough balancing issues even without combo characters, and I don't personally know anyone who actually plays these characters as a combo, instead just as the single character that fits their playstyle and happens to be lacking a B-down special.

Sakurai seriously does not do what seems to be popular... I'd go so far as to say that he intentionally avoids checking what people want. I think there are a number of reasons why Impa being put in instead of Sheik makes sense, and quite a few why it would be avoided. Primarily, I never felt like Sheik was properly representing anything... s/he is just a princess in disguise trying to run away from conflict in a single game. Impa's a badass who actually knows combat and Sheikah techniques, and she's been becoming more and more important to the series while Sheik has lost all relevance.

And, food for thought: The Zelda characters were updated to their Twilight Princess forms, and Sheik was given an approximate appearance too. We can assume that the SSB4 characters, Sheik included, would mirror Skyward Sword. If the Princess will look like a young, colorful village girl... what the heck is Sheik supposed to look like?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
And, food for thought: The Zelda characters were updated to their Twilight Princess forms, and Sheik was given an approximate appearance too. We can assume that the SSB4 characters, Sheik included, would mirror Skyward Sword. If the Princess will look like a young, colorful village girl... what the heck is Sheik supposed to look like?
Well, apparently I think the popular thing to do is to update the appearances of Zelda/Sheik (Twilight Princess) to Zelda/Impa (Skyward Sword) but RENAME Impa "Sheik". :rolleyes:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I think it's safe to say that they wouldn't turn Sheik into Impa and keep Sheik's name... right?

Having it become a tag-team thing where Zelda supposedly calls in Impa to help wouldn't make me too sad. Seems a bit like the kind of compromise where nobody is happy, with Sheik being displaced and Impa not really achieving full character status. In the end, it does seem unlikely to me that there'd be both Sheik AND Impa, however they choose to solve it.
I would love, love love for the Sheikah character, whoever it might be, to have improved specials. In melee I enjoyed playing Sheik (but not Zelda), but I would hardly use the specials unless I was trying to annoy friends or recover.

Top Bottom