• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong Characters Ready for a Jungle Beatdown!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Welcome to the discussion thread for the Donkey Kong franchise!

This thread was long overdue to be created. While we have quite a few threads for supporting characters, this thread allow fans of all types of chimpanzee, monkeys, gorillas, Kremlings, Tiki-Tongs and Snowmads to come together to discuss everything and anything DK-related, although the primary purpose will be - of course - Smash. Became a new fan with Returns and Tropical Freeze? Welcome to the club. We're also excited to see fans who have been with the franchise since the beginning and have grown attached to it. Anything and everything goes; K. Rool vs. Dixie, how non-character contents should be reflected in Smash as well as Cranky Kong coming around reminding us of them good 'ol days (he forgot about the time when he was kidnapped by Mario, but then again, old people will be old people).

Confirmed Characters:

Potential Characters
Donkey Kong could very well get a newcomer this time, possibly even two. Naturally, this mean that DK and Diddy may have someone else tagging along this time.

King K. Rool

Dixie Kong

Cranky Kong

More later. Will be updating this thread over time and to cover the latest news on DK contents in Smash. Discussions of pros and cons of potential fighters will also be mentioned.​

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Veterans: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong
Newcomers: Dixie Kong, King K. Rool
Optional: Kiddy Kong (as Dixie Kong's tag team partner), Donkey Kong Jr. (as a last-minute clone of Donkey Kong)

I can get behind this. :awesome:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I could get behind a Klump and Krusha duo for the fourth character, since everyone seems to love the duo mechanic. :troll: Kaptain Skurvy would also suffice.

:phone:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I SERIOUSLY want Dread Kong as an alternative for Donkey Kong. If only cause I had dreads (had to chop them of 3 months ago though... FEELSBADMAN) and love Donkey Kong, of coarse. Didn't like Jungle Beat though, if only for the fact it completely neglected anything DKC-related, outside of bananas and Donkey Kong himself.

Am a supporter of basically any DK character they could put in. Realistically, I'd of coarse put in Dixie and King K.Rool, but would also love Kiddy to be coupled with Dixie, but don't expect it to happen. Kiddy is seriously overlooked. If by any chance, Smash 5 would have another DK newcomer, I'd vote for Funky, Cranky, or Lanky. Any of them could easily be unique and extremely comical.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
A shame that Lanky Kong is going to be out of the question. The poor ape may have not style or grace, but I still would like that.

But I'm not complain since I've always liked King K. Rool better in general.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah it's a shame. Though, far not as shameful as Nintendo completely neglecting this series for so long. :rolleyes:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Personally, after we get K. Rool and Dixie, I think Rambi would be pretty cool. I always liked rhinos. Though, a mounted item from an Animal Buddy crate would be great for him, too. Cranky could give us the token "Old Man" fighter.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Or, how about combining the ideas? Cranky Kong orders the Animal Buddies from the background, Trainer-style?

(I've heard this idea tossed around for the DK64 Kongs as well).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Cranky Kong would be a pretty amusing Assist Trophy. He'd just sit the background complaining about how Super Smash Bros. 4 is not Melee 2.0, items ruin the game, and questions why we have characters like Jigglypuff and R.O.B.. :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Personally, after we get K. Rool and Dixie, I think Rambi would be pretty cool. I always liked rhinos. Though, a mounted item from an Animal Buddy crate would be great for him, too. Cranky could give us the token "Old Man" fighter.
Rhinos are my favorite animal! *brofist*

Rambi would be literally the best thing ever. I'd play video games till my fingers rotted of if I could charge people with Rambi in Smash.

Cranky should complain about Sheik as well. That's just the way we Kongs roll you know? :smirk:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean, it may as well be worth mentioning that Rambi was only existing DK characters that was kept for DKCR, alongside DK, Diddy, Cranky, and Squawks. That being said, Squawks can be his recovery. You know, because a parrot can easily carry a rhinoceros. :awesome:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Rambi should follow the Yoshi-archetype: NO recovery. Perhaps no specials as well. Just charge, charge, charge, charge, charge, charge, charge.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think I would rather have Rambi as a rideable Assist Trophy.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So basically it's "Press A to Win: The Character"?
No of coarse not. You'd have to protect your back all the time. ;) So charge, don't miss, charge again, then not miss again. Oh and if met with projectile spam, run, then charge when a propper time comes.

His specials would be involved in charging up his charge, like in DKC2 with his Side B. And stomping the ground for down B, which is a more awkward version of DK's Down B, but can stomp the opponents in the ground like DK's headbut, Side B. Rambi's neutral B would make him lower his head, having his horn set out and when enemies get close, you can release the button to launch them high into the air. Very effective finisher as well. And if people come in contact with the horn they get knocked away.
Up B, does nothing. Untill we have a better suggestion.

His jumps and air speed would be about the worst in the game as well, but he wouldn't need it a lot. As he has a strong ground game, though a little slow in some moves: he has AMAZING approach options. He has a slow but strong D Air, which resembles Charizard's a little in animation. B Air is a sort of horsekick with low range, U Air is an upward headbut with strong knockback, F Air has Rambi sticking his horn forward, and comes out faster than his other aerials. N Air is similar to Ivysaur's, but Rambi spins only once. But seeing as Rambi's aerials are so slow, and his jumps so low, he doesn't really have much aerial combat and most of his moves would mostly be preformed on the ground in the end (hits in the air, but the attack continues on the ground- like Mewtwo's N Air in Melee in a way).

But furthermore, his PRIMARLY playstyle would be: charge, charge, charge, charge, charge, charge, charge, charge, charge. ;)

RAMBI 4 SMASH!

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
D.K's final smash should be rambi not that cheesy bongo drums...RealTalk.

Cranky Kong would be a pretty amusing Assist Trophy. He'd just sit the background complaining about how Super Smash Bros. 4 is not Melee 2.0, items ruin the game, and questions why we have characters like Jigglypuff and R.O.B.. :troll:
Loooool and the complain how the user sucks and how he could complete the whole game in 1 life. Looooool and how games were harder back in his day. Damn Cranky = Truth.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Cranky would defeat everyone without losing a stock. Ever. ;)

He proved this already on the 75m stage in Brawl. And in fact, as a throwback to that stage he could throw around those annoying Spings, or suddenly become aggressive and have knockback really similar to 'old skool DK' in 75m.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Squawks has the easiest moveset to design ever.

Neutral Special - Coconut/Egg Spit
Side Special - Headlight Blind
Down Special - Sonic Squawk
Up Special - Flap (slows down fall speed, no vertical boost)
Final Smash - Quawks (summons his purple cousins from DKC2-3 to drop barrels onstage)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah, as far as specials go. The rest of his moves are a bit more difficult though. ;) Rambi would probably never make the game as a playable character, but I could always dream. Personally, I'd love to charge hard against Yoshi's nose as Rambi to remember him not copying the Animal Buddy system from DKC.

You know, if Rambi wasn't in DKC / DKL I probably wouldn't be too intressted in even trying those games. I already didn't like the NES Mario games, but when I played Donkey Kong Land I was a lot more patient. I was really obsessed with rhinos back then, so Rambi is basically the reason I started to play videogames. Soon after I realised he wasn't in all levels though, Diddy became nr1. :awesome:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Imo Rambi would be an awesome DKC item. Say like an item crate appeared on stage but had a rhino logo on it. You break the crate and hop on Rambi's back, and proceed to ram into other players. You can get knocked off of him, then Rambi will start to run around and hit anyone in his path til he either disappears, runs off the stage, or if someone hops on his back. The DKC item crate idea can apply to the other DKC animals as well so they can be playable in some way.

As for playable Kongs I would love to play with Lanky Kong. He could stretch while attacking (a Nintendo version of Dhalism). Lanky could have his recovery be him inflating himself and slowly descend to the ground, maybe work a little like G&W's recovery. Another move he could have is shooting plums at his opponents for his neutral B move. His running animation would be what he had from DK64.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dhalism is that Indian monk guy from Street Fighter right? With the long arms? If so, yeah, Lanky would play a lot like him. And that's why I'd want him in. But his arms wouldn't go THAT far though. And his Down B should definitely be him doing the handstand, and be able to walk around faster with it, or have a unique attack that can only be done in handstand mode. There's just a lot they could've done with this character if they used him more in Donkey Kong games... *sigh*

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Lanky could have an epic grab-game. Extend his arms a long, long way in a chargeable grab, but you have to wait for them to reel back in before moving, during which he can be punished if he sent them out too far. High-risk, high-reward, in other words.

And yeah, no moveset is truly complete without standards, but in Smash, they're intentionally generic. So Squawks can have as many beak jabs, talon snatches and wing whacks as necessary to fill those.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Lanky could also stretch his arms to grab the ledge. Like Link and Toon Link's zair, Samus' zair, zss' up B(side B also)and Ivy's up B...

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Haha it brings a big smile to my face when people talks about how awsome DK,64 is.

I like chunky too thouggh Loool big guy playing the triangle loool ahh man good times.

umegames

Smash Cadet
Veterans: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong
Newcomers: Dixie Kong, King K. Rool
Optional: Kiddy Kong (as Dixie Kong's tag team partner), Donkey Kong Jr. (as a last-minute clone of Donkey Kong)

I can get behind this. :awesome:
I actually really like that idea. Dixie and kiddy together. Sounds crazy, but almost a hybrid of Ice climbers meets Pkmn trainer. I love it! man, now i really want to see that.

But I'd even settle for an assist trophy at this point of them.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There's not enough Kong loving here at the forums.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I always wanted Tiny, Lanky or Chunky... (Grew up with Donkey Kong 64 with my cousins... :/) But they seem impossible right now. So I suppose I would root for King K Rool. :)

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
OMG I have some ideas for Cranky. He could be a surprise addition with a moveset that involves his cane, potions and an animal buddy. Squawks could be his UpB and carry him, the cane could be used for basic attacks, tilts and smashes, and the potions could be used for specials; some will be used on himself, while others are used on/thrown at foes.

Think about it...with Cranky, we have the potential to see an old mad scientist cane-swinging ape who calls upon animals to aid him in battle. We currently have NOTHING similar.

D.K's final smash should be rambi not that cheesy bongo drums..

*Adjusts monicle* Pardon me, but I'll have you know, good sir or madame, that those 'cheesy bongo drums' are a direct reference to Donkey Kong 64--an entry that many fans believe stand head and shoulders above our marvelous tie-wearing simian's other imaginative adventures. *Sips tea*

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The Bongos where indeed both a throwback to the Konga games as well as DK64. Loved the Jungle Japes music it always played though. And honestly, I don't even want it gone as his Final Smash. As long as it's the actual Bongos from DK64. ;)

Cranky would be awesome indeed. But sooo unlikely... Best chance would be for a Mr.Ressetti like AT. With some hidden strenghts indeed. But as a playable character, he'd easily be too awesome for Smash. :smirk:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
This...is the best idea.

It's nice to have a "General" DK thread, because other than the K. Rool and Dixie threads, the other characters get minimal love.

I'm still holding out the hope that Funky gets in in Smash 5. Swords? Pfft. Surfboards!

Edit: Aww dude! If Sakurai wanted to be Ultimate Fanservice, he could include K. Rool, and a Dixie-Kiddy combo. However, I just expect K. Rool and possibly Dixie as a luigi-fied Diddy. (Up-B replaced with hair, Neutral-B replaced with...something. Otherwise Diddy's B moves work for Dixie. FS would be different, too.

E

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Funky would also have such an awesome moveset yeah. But I really hope Lanky also will get some love in the series. I think I liked him best out of all newcomer Kongs in DK64, mainly cause he was more unique. As Tiny and Chunky kinda felt like Dixie and Kiddy replacements... Which they where, as they're both siblings of Dixie and Kiddy respectively.

Dixie's best chances indeed would be as a Luigi-fied Diddy 'clone'. But heck, I'd take that! Anything to give the series proper representation!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
These to me are the coolest Kongs (no specific order)

Lanky
Karate
Dixie
Ninja
Cranky
Chunky

Funky, Bluster, Sumo, Dread, Swanky, the current Tiny and especially Kiddy and Candy can stay in the Kong Barrel. Funky can get special privileges and be allowed to leave whenever he wants because of his amazing DKC 1&2 themes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pz7YVbipvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZnnUHLSsws

On 2nd thought, let Funky have his own place to chill. He's too good to be lumped in with...those.

I'd love to hear the 1st one in Smash.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Lanky would make another major appearance like he did in DK64, I'm sure he MIGHT be considered one time if we get a new Smash game with like, 60~70 characters. He'd be so awesome though. His playstyle is easily one of the most unique I could think of. Even though he has no style, or no grace, but a funny face. :awesome:

Those Funky themes are awesome yeah! Especially the DKC1 one. When I was younger I used to stay at Funky's for far too long just to listen to the music. :D

I don't know why Kiddy was / is hated so much though. Even though he was no Diddy, I still liked him innitially in DKC3. And I think people hate on DKC3 cause of Kiddy alone, and nothing else. If it would've been Diddy or DK instead, I doubt anyone would complain about that game.

Also, I think I prefer the original Kongs above the ones we got to see in Jungle Beat. Even though those battles where pretty awesome (one of the best things in the game, easily). Dread Kong has a little special place though, cause I used to have dreads myself (4.5 months ago...). But other than him, Ninja and Karate are pretty cool.

You know what's funny... Even though Jungle Beat replaced so many original DKC stuff, they at least TRIED to stay sort of true to the level archetypes, especially regarding under water levels. I felt those where pretty awesome in Jungle Beat myself actually. Orca was also a cool buddy, though nothing beats Enguarde the original fishy friend. It's a shame Returns tried so hard being it's own thing, as both Returns and Jungle Beat haven't really satisfied my need for Kong in the years after DK64. Returns moreso than Jungle Beat obviously yeah, but still... I feel the series never should've strayed from it's SNES roots.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Honestly I think the DK Franchise should get both Dixie and King K. Rool. Donkey Kong is one of the most popular franchises and it's sold about as much as the Legend of Zelda Series that gets 4.5 Characters. I know sales aren't the only factor but I think Donky Kong Should stand on it's own, not as a Mario Sub Series.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Donkey Kong Country has always been one of the biggest series Nintendo had. It was pretty much always in a way in 'trouble' around each Smash game's creation of sorts. Except maybe 64, but only Mario and Pokemon had 2 characters in that game (Diddy could've easily been in there instead of Falcon or Ness actually). But honestly, Diddy should've been in Melee, Dixie or K.Rool should've been added in Brawl, and now we'd be heavily expecting the one left out character. But yeah, it didn't happen, oh well. Doesn't mean it can't happen now.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Donkey Kong Country has always been one of the biggest series Nintendo had. It was pretty much always in a way in 'trouble' around each Smash game's creation of sorts. Except maybe 64, but only Mario and Pokemon had 2 characters in that game (Diddy could've easily been in there instead of Falcon or Ness actually). But honestly, Diddy should've been in Melee, Dixie or K.Rool should've been added in Brawl, and now we'd be heavily expecting the one left out character. But yeah, it didn't happen, oh well. Doesn't mean it can't happen now.
That probably would have been the case if Melee wasn't rushed.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Melee was rushed so badly cause they wanted it to be a launch title for the GameCube I think. Just thinking of how Melee could be if it was just a year delayed... We wouldn't even be here now, I think most of us would be still playing Melee hardcore now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom