• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

0sh

Smash Cadet
I never though I'd see the day I'd be defending the behaviour of people on SRK, but here goes:

SRK is a very different community to any other I've seen or been a part of on the internet. I wouldn't go as far as to call it a troll's paradise, but you need to remember that it;s a community centered around games where ragemail and online trolling are incredibly frequent occurrences, and respect traditionally had to be won and re-won by poping quarters. This makes the whole community a little tougher-skinned than other places, and someone who can't take a little trolling or hold their own in an argument is seen as a source of amusement. It's not a culture I necessarily support, but it is what it is.

If you go to the parts of the forum that don't recieve as much traffic (such as the character discusison threads or tech talk) then things calm down to what you would expect on any other forum, with people being mostly polite and respectful. Many of the most 'valued' members of SRK can be incredibly tolerant and helpful in a 'serious' thread, and simultaneously some of the most belligerent trolls in another. If you're not specifically asking for help an something or ar just posting in the General Discussion section, then chances are they'll see you as fair game.

The above is imprtant to know because I honestly believe that the vast majority or SRK posters would be genuinely indifferent to Melee being at EVO. They might be a little upset if their own main game didn't make it instead (much as some of you would be dissapointed if Skullgirls somehow managed to beat you for the final spot here), but in reality they'll get over it pretty quick.

People on SRK ***** about xTekken, and they ***** about Smash. The older members ***** about how the newer games are dumbed down, and the newer ones ***** about the games that they can't get good at. Each game gets its fair share of hate for whatever eccentricities make it unique. But in my time on SRK, very little of what I have read seems to have been fuelled by genuine malice in spite of the insulting language and colourful dysphemisms used. There is the occasional person who does take things a bit too far and I've no doubt that there are a few people than genuinely do hold resentment towards other games, but I would be very suprised if anyone turns up to EVO and gets a cold shoulder simply because of the game they play.

I'm not writing this post because I think SRK is being unfairly attacked or anything, and I know a lot of this goes without saying, but the fact that the (genuine) haters are a vocal minority bears repeating. And because SRK is... well, SRK, that hate gets amplified into glorious technicolour.

EDIT: When I started writing this, this thread was at the bottom of page 85, so this isn't a direct response to the posts above me.

BrandX

Smash Ace
There is something I have had on my mind for awhile that I want to share in regards to some of my community and their desire to wanting to be at Evo, in that case despising smash for being so ahead.

As you can tell, some of my community is scared by the fact that if we don't make it to Evo, we might actually suffer and die.

But lets take a moment to realize the reality of things.

While being a main game at Evo does help a game sometimes become stronger, it does not always guarantee success. Look at games like Blazblue and Soul Calibur V. They had their time in the spot light, may have been considered some of the best games out of the line ups in days past, but look at them now. They are suffering, it's like Evo had done nothing at all.

My community assumes that being at Evo will automatically make us popular and get people playing, and in some cases that is kind of true;however, we could very much end up in the same position as Blazblue and Soul Calibur V.

Smash is no exception either. Being at Evo will most likely help you guys, but in the long run, will it really change things?

Don't take my words as being malice towards you, but I feel that a lot of people are taking this too seriously because Evo gives us the wrong impression that it will automatically make a game popular and thrive.

In fact, you guys being at Evo might cause the opposite reaction. As far as I know, you guys only use like 8 characters because of their viability correct? You guys could be considered the worst tournament at Evo2013 for all we know, the possibility exists.

I'm not saying that I want this to happen or it will happen, but sometimes reality can be a pain in the *** when you think about these things.

The point I'm trying to drive at is, who cares who gets into Evo? The next year, the FGC might be biased against both our communities again and just go back to the regular **** they always do.

People who are showing malice against the smash community don't realize that, win or lose, this is for charity mostly, and that we may end up saving thousands of lives in the end. Sure, being at Evo would help somewhat, but it's not the end of the world people.

Keep fighting for your community, Evo or not. It doesn't matter what happens, I'm still having my own road to evo, side tournament or not.

Just something I wanted to share because my fingers like to keep typing.

Take this with a grain of salt if you wish, but I'm being realistic.

Mahie

Smash Lord
You're not understanding the situation Smash is in. The games you are quoting have no playerbase. Smash has a tremendously large casual playerbase, and just needs it's competitive side to shine more so as to attract these players to something they might just not know exists.

Spotlight is the keyword when it comes to EVO. We want more players to know of the community, and more investors, teams and what not to know of our best players as well. Many of us also fantasize about the fact that it might reach Nintendo and influence Smash 4, although I personally doubt that.

Instead of assuming stuff about 8 characters and what not, and Smash being the worst tourney at EVO (That's like...impossible. Absolutely impossible), why not take a look for yourself? Have you ever watched Melee played competitively ? If yes, what matches ?

0sh

Smash Cadet
My community assumes that being at Evo will automatically make us popular and get people playing, and in some cases that is kind of true;however, we could very much end up in the same position as Blazblue and Soul Calibur V.
But it's a bit more complicated than just EVO = more popularity. There's also the fact that an EVO showing could cause enough new people to buy the game (even if they drop it shortly after) that it could provide necessary impetus for the PC version and DLC to finally be pushed through, which could lead to an overall resurgence or at the very least help the game's lifespan.

It's not really a discussion for here, though, but I thought it would be silly to reply to your post on an entirely different site.

BrandX

Smash Ace
You're not understanding the situation Smash is in. The games you are quoting have no playerbase. Smash has a tremendously large casual playerbase, and just needs it's competitive side to shine more so as to attract these players to something they might just not know exists.

Instead of assuming stuff about 8 characters and what not, and Smash being the worst tourney at EVO (That's like...impossible. Absolutely impossible), why not take a look for yourself? Have you ever watched Melee played competitively ? If yes, what matches ?
I guess maybe what I posted didn't sound correct.

I understand smash's issues, I understand their quest, I understand their goal.

Also, I was not assuming anything and I never said Smash was going to be the worst tourny at Evo.

I have seen Smash gameplay and the game does look like it could gain a lot of people's interest. I'm just trying to figure out how to get the whole reason behind this competition into my communities brains without being over dramatic or over the top.

If you had read closely, I said I believed in you guys and I don't want you to fail by any means if you get into Evo. I didn't say it outright, but it was in there.

BrandX

Smash Ace
But it's a bit more complicated than just EVO = more popularity. There's also the fact that an EVO showing could cause enough new people to buy the game (even if they drop it shortly after) that it could provide necessary impetus for the PC version and DLC to finally be pushed through, which could lead to an overall resurgence or at the very least help the game's lifespan.

It's not really a discussion for here, though, but I thought it would be silly to reply to your post on an entirely different site.
Understandable, but really I am just trying to figure out how to stop my community from exploding with despair and failure, which might ultimately kill the game faster, if we don't get into Evo. Words don't mean more then actions, but at this point, I have no clue what to do to calm my community down.

Mahie

Smash Lord
I guess maybe what I posted didn't sound correct.

I understand smash's issues, I understand their quest, I understand their goal.

Also, I was not assuming anything and I never said Smash was going to be the worst tourny at Evo.

I have seen Smash gameplay and the game does look like it could gain a lot of people's interest. I'm just trying to figure out how to get the whole reason behind this competition into my communities brains without being over dramatic or over the top.

If you had read closely, I said I believed in you guys and I don't want you to fail by any means if you get into Evo.
I read closely and I responded to the points you made.

You did say 'Smash is no exception' after explaining the failure of SCV and BB.
You did say it might be considered the worst tournament.

Maybe I understood it wrong.
Obviously our community has been surviving for 12 years, EVO would be a massive plus but the opposite wouldn't kill us. That's why I'm saying Smash is not in the same situation as the others at all.

I'm still interested in what matches you saw, btw, I'm not calling you out, I'm just genuinely curious.

0sh

Smash Cadet
Understandable, but really I am just trying to figure out how to stop my community from exploding with despair and failure, which might ultimately kill the game faster, if we don't get into Evo.
It won't. If SG doesn't win then people will continue playing and enjoying the game for some time. Don't worry about if things will eventually start looking down, you cross that bridge when you come to it.

Just relax. There isn't anything anyone can say right now that will 'fix' everything, so all you can do is wait an see what happens.

BrandX

Smash Ace
I read closely and I responded to the points you made.

You did say 'Smash is no exception' after explaining the failure of SCV and BB.
You did say it might be considered the worst tournament.

Maybe I understood it wrong.
Obviously our community has been surviving for 12 years, EVO would be a massive plus but the opposite wouldn't kill us. That's why I'm saying Smash is not in the same situation as the others at all.

I'm still interested in what matches you saw, btw, I'm not calling you out, I'm just genuinely curious.
Maybe I was wrong, maybe comparing you guys to Blazblue and Soul Calibur V. The thing is, you guys seem to have somehow gained a huge following over the years. You guys have survived 12 years and are way above many other games, including SkullGirls.

What I think most people are scared about in my community is just that, age. SkullGirls is less then a year old, and people are afraid that if SkullGirls does not make it, it may die and rot in the depths of Fighting Game Hell before it even has a chance to begin, unlike your community where your game can reach out to a wider audience.

But maybe I'm wrong, and I would love someone to disprove me on that, please.

Also I can't remember, I just see stuff here and there of competitive smash gameplay, but I really don't remember what characters there was and who was playing. The only thing I remember was the Wombo Combo video, because let's all be serious it's funny as hell.

BrandX

Smash Ace
It won't. If SG doesn't win then people will continue playing and enjoying the game for some time. Don't worry about if things will eventually start looking down, you cross that bridge when you come to it.

Just relax. There isn't anything anyone can say right now that will 'fix' everything, so all you can do is wait an see what happens.
I know this. I've said countless times that if we keep playing the game, it will never truly be dead. I'm just worried about many of the other people in the community, that's all.

Edit: Also, I hope that is a bridge that will never come.

Fletch

Smash Master
In fact, you guys being at Evo might cause the opposite reaction. As far as I know, you guys only use like 8 characters because of their viability correct? You guys could be considered the worst tournament at Evo2013 for all we know, the possibility exists.
A match between the winner of APEX over the weekend took place between the best player in the world and one most would consider top 5 at worst near the end of the bracket. They used a low tier and bottom tier respectively.

Melee isn't the most balanced game, but it isn't Fox-only either. The top tiers are actually relatively well-balanced compared to most games I've played.

BrandX

Smash Ace
A match between the winner of APEX over the weekend took place between the best player in the world and one most would consider top 5 at worst near the end of the bracket. They used a low tier and bottom tier respectively.

Melee isn't the most balanced game, but it isn't Fox-only either. The top tiers are actually relatively well-balanced compared to most games I've played.
Thank you for telling me this, and I know it's not a fox only fest. As I said, maybe I am wrong. I'm just trying to keep a calm mind and patience in my community.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Also I can't remember, I just see stuff here and there of competitive smash gameplay, but I really don't remember what characters there was and who was playing. The only thing I remember was the Wombo Combo video, because let's all be serious it's funny as hell.
Now I really feel like calling you out. You don't know what you have seen but there was 8 characters. Ok. Mutual Love, understanding and open-mindedness, they said.

BrandX

Smash Ace
Now I really feel like calling you out. You don't know what you have seen but there was 8 characters. Ok. Mutual Love, understanding and open-mindedness, they said.
Look dude, I don't want any malice between us, that's the very last thing I ever want. Maybe I was just looking in the wrong places, and I will admit I looked up more Brawl Competitive matches than Melee, as sad as it is to say.

You have to at least understand that, as not a smash player myself, I probably wouldn't remember most of the matches anyway.

Maybe all the matches I looked up happen to contain the so called 8 characters. (Most of the matches I saw included Fox, Falco, Captain Falcon and Marth)

But i have seen some yoshi gameplay so you can at least give me some credit. Just don't expect me to remember the names of the players or where the matches took place.

I think it's not that I'm close minded, I just don't know nor do I follow smash so I'm not sure how things work.

Please, as a request, send me videos of other characters being used, I would love to see those really. Help me get rid of this close minded idea of how many characters are used.

It's funny how things I say seem righteous and open minded in my head, but in the end it makes me sound like a close minded *******.

My whole life seems to be nothing but that lol. I become the very thing I hate, a close minded person.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Maybe all the matches I looked up happen to contain the so called 8 characters. (Most of the matches I saw included Fox, Falco, Captain Falcon and Marth)

I think it's not that I'm close minded, I just don't know nor do I follow smash so I'm not sure how things work.
I think this is a much more honest assessment.

It's hard to talk about lower tiers without going with AZ's finest, so here you go :
AXE (Pikachu) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGTWI2f6AIE
Taj (Mewtwo) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=capoDHrZJng
Vman (Yoshi) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTPfP_a6HBQ & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yot4_WIQrBM

If you want other chars, ask away.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Search hungry box armada ness young link on YouTube, you might need some context and I honestly don't care if you go and watch smash at all but I love rewatching hbox's face during the blind character pick. That wicked grin>hell yeah face>determined face>>>>sadbox face :(

Basically armada had one thing in the way of being the worlds best and that was hungry box's puff. So armada trained a low tier counter to camp ouff(since she's easily camped) and went for time outs. Hbox couldn't beat the young link and searched for his own answer. Warning, their sets are like basketball though, nothing interestig until the last minute. Although the first couple matches were sweet.

:phone:

Mahie

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8twwXHDIVBc

This was the first YL Puff they played.

Context : Armada kept losing to Hbox as Peach vs Puff and couldn't figure out a way to win, so he instead picked a character that is about even against Puff, and that Hbox wouldn't have much experience fighting against.

Not the hypest of matches, the concept is more interesting than the actual match, I have to say.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
This gave me an idea. Youtube playlist, the 10 essential sets in SSBM history.

Of course I'm throwing a vote for Shiz vs M2K at RoM 1, Armada/Mango Genesis 1...

but also voting for Hax vs Mofo at No Johns.

BrandX

Smash Ace
I think this is a much more honest assessment.

It's hard to talk about lower tiers without going with AZ's finest, so here you go :
AXE (Pikachu) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGTWI2f6AIE
Taj (Mewtwo) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=capoDHrZJng
Vman (Yoshi) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTPfP_a6HBQ & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yot4_WIQrBM

If you want other chars, ask away.
I have to say, the Mewtwo one was probably the best. I remember when I played Melee for fun years ago, I never liked Mewtwo because he felt too clunky, slippery and slow.

Interesting how people can disprove you sometimes.

The Business

Smash Journeyman
This gave me an idea. Youtube playlist, the 10 essential sets in SSBM history.

Of course I'm throwing a vote for Shiz vs M2K at RoM 1, Armada/Mango Genesis 1...

but also voting for Hax vs Mofo at No Johns.
vote for Dashizwiz vs Falcomist.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
This is so true and I'm a perfect example of it. Since the first day I touched a video game (in 1990!) I knew I wanted to be the best at it - I didn't know competing was even a thing or how it could even be measured (who gets the most points in SMB??). You know that movie The Wizard? I've never seen it, but I've had its plot summarized to me - I had that exact movie (minus the power glove) as a dream when I was 5 years old at least a dozen times in one year - and I never even knew the movie existed until I was in high school.

Smash64 and Starcraft came out around the same time, and I loved both of those games to death; I thought "this, this is what I will be the best at", but I automatically assumed no one would ever care to actually compete in a party game and stuck with Starcraft (won my first tournament even). Ultimately the resources and dedication required to be among the best at Starcraft were far too great for a 12-year old living in Nowhereville, Canada, but I never even thought to take another look at Smash. The internet was still pretty young at the time anyway so there wouldn't be very much to find. I continued playing Smash 64 and Melee like a fiend for years completely oblivious of the competitive scene that was the #1 thing I wished existed.

When Brawl was announced I decided to look at Melee again and stumbled on an old video by Captain Jack and Smash was redefined for me forever. I've always felt a little cheated because what if I actually spent all that casual playtime learning to actually play competitively (like I actually wanted)? That's almost a decade I could have been making myself into the best player I could be...would I have actually been good? Ultimately it's my fault for never thinking of searching for competitive Smash, but it's probably the one thing I'll regret forever.

...and that is why this exposure is important to Melee, to Smash, and to gamers everywhere who could just be looking for an opportunity.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
The azen comeback got me into smash. Showed it to friends to try to get them out too, they asked the cliche "What is this? Lightning melee(2x speed)? That's not fair." And I laughed. Rewatching it now they look so slow too lol, those metagame evolutions. Although the spacing is still too good.

BrandX

Smash Ace
This is so true and I'm a perfect example of it. Since the first day I touched a video game (in 1990!) I knew I wanted to be the best at it - I didn't know competing was even a thing or how it could even be measured (who gets the most points in SMB??). You know that movie The Wizard? I've never seen it, but I've had its plot summarized to me - I had that exact movie (minus the power glove) as a dream when I was 5 years old at least a dozen times in one year - and I never even knew the movie existed until I was in high school.

Smash64 and Starcraft came out around the same time, and I loved both of those games to death; I thought "this, this is what I will be the best at", but I automatically assumed no one would ever care to actually compete in a party game and stuck with Starcraft (won my first tournament even). Ultimately the resources and dedication required to be among the best at Starcraft were far too great for a 12-year old living in Nowhereville, Canada, but I never even thought to take another look at Smash. The internet was still pretty young at the time anyway so there wouldn't be very much to find. I continued playing Smash 64 and Melee like a fiend for years completely oblivious of the competitive scene that was the #1 thing I wished existed.

When Brawl was announced I decided to look at Melee again and stumbled on an old video by Captain Jack and Smash was redefined for me forever. I've always felt a little cheated because what if I actually spent all that casual playtime learning to actually play competitively (like I actually wanted)? That's almost a decade I could have been making myself into the best player I could be...would I have actually been good? Ultimately it's my fault for never thinking of searching for competitive Smash, but it's probably the one thing I'll regret forever.

...and that is why this exposure is important to Melee, to Smash, and to gamers everywhere who could just be looking for an opportunity.
Wow dude, people said I had passion...but your tale really hit my heart hard. My passion is nowhere near this good. I can relate to your story in many different ways (Was a passionate gamer in the 90's, wanted to make video games when I grew up, I still want to make them)

Everyone on this board has passion that I cannot match.

To see that you guys want smash to survive, it makes my heart feel a little heavy with admiration and respect.

Although my passion for SkullGirls is big and people have said that they wished more communities had people like me who love their games to death, I don't think I could ever match the amount of love, desire and drive as the Smash Community.

The passion of many outweigh the passion of one I guess lol

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
Hah, I got into competitive Smash around mid-2005 after watching a shoddy Marth combo vid with a Naruto song in the BG. But it was cool enough. It also introduced me to competitive gaming in general, as I also play Starcraft competitively.

That said, even with little or large passion you have for something, don't lose it. It'll always count towards something. My two cents.

BrandX

Smash Ace
Hah, I got into competitive Smash around mid-2005 after watching a shoddy Marth combo vid with a Naruto song in the BG. But it was cool enough.

That said, even with little or large passion you have for something, don't lose it. My two cents.

I don't think I'll ever lose it, Passion is all I can hang on to.

But how far can my passion go (in a calm sense)? Can one spark really flare an inferno (A saying someone told me)?

BrandX

Smash Ace
I say that you shouldn't worry about it, like others have said. Just let your passion flow out like a river and eventually someone/thing should come by to drink from it.

Something like that. Wtf.

I understand what you are saying. I just keep on going, no matter what gets in my way.

and sodapopSquid I agree it is fun. I'm not saying stop supporting melee, but for those who haven't tried, give SkullGirls a shot, you won't regret it lol

*Fail advertisement*

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
All I know is that, /vg/'s pissed.
/v/ and /vg/ are filled with people who think we're all ****ing autistic that we play Smash competitively. (troll or not troll)

They can be as pissed as they want.

Who gives 2 ****s about them lol.

No one should care about a group of people who think you have a mental deficiency because you play a game like this competitively.

sodapopSquid

Smash Cadet
/v/ and /vg/ are filled with people who think we're all ****ing autistic that we play Smash competitively. (troll or not troll)

They can be as pissed as they want.

Who gives 2 ****s about them lol.

No one should care about a group of people who think you have a mental deficiency because you play a game like this competitively.
I agree. I usually just go there to find people to play with on AE:pC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom