• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gen 6 Pokemon will be out BEFORE Smash 4...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
How will this change Zoroark's chances at getting in? Are we more likely to see a gen 6 Pokemon in Smash 4 now?

Thoughts?

What do you think the chances of this X and Y Pokemon getting in?

I've heard it called "Newtwo" and or "Mewthree".

Robotic Wind

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grey Walrus
I'd say it depends on what pokemon will be there.

We could get a gen 6 trainer + Zoroark or gen 6 instead. It really will depend on what pokemon are in gen 6

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
One thing to remember is that something out of gen VI being on the roster is not a guarantee, especially if there is nothing viable that could be used.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
One thing to remember is that something out of gen VI being on the roster is not a guarantee, especially if there is nothing viable that could be used.
What constitutes viability? Gen III had pokemon that were arguably usable but there weren't any playable ones in Brawl. I really think they'll just go with a Gen VI pokemon for Smash 4.

EDIT: my signature would disagree though lol

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I think it certainly bodes ill for Zoroark, but I think Genesect is still in with a fractionally better chance. Since there's no kind of timeframe for when SSB4 will be released I think it's fairly likely that it will be a Gen 6 addition. I also think that Lucario is in greater jeopardy now; he might make way for Zoroark/Genesect and the Gen 6 gets the new Pokemon slot.

All speculation, naturally.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I just don't see a Gen V and VI pokemon getting in at the same time. Like, as of Brawl the pokemon roster looks like this:

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Lucario
Pokemon Trainer

I feel like Pikachu is the only one here who's really guaranteed but most people would argue that Jigglypuff is as well since she's a mainstay in the series, and even though the execution wasn't perfect it seems like most people really liked the concept of a playable Pokemon Trainer. So assuming they stick around you have five pokemon characters with a Gen V and VI pokemon - that's counting PT as one character and not even mentioning the possibility of Mewtwo/Lucario returning. Five may be feasible but that's what I think the absolute maximum of pokemon characters will be. I honestly think it'll just be four with someone from Brawl getting the axe.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You can't simply add in the new face for the sake of adding the new face. The character in question needs viability and popularity in order to be at least considered, which we don't even know about since the poster child has not come up yet.

Also, the staff doesn't simply add a new face for advertisement purposes. Pichu was included as a last minute clone designed as a joke, and Lucario was and still is a popular Pokemon since his debut. Even the only "true" advertisement character Roy was included because of his Sword of Seals being able to manipulate fire and being the supposed representative of Fire Emblem as a whole.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't the easiest way to represent Gen 6 be to have Pokemon Trainer use the gen 6 starters? Starters are always among the most popular pokemon because they're there from the start and are usually pretty strong throughout the game.

You never know whether the proposed mascot of a generation will actually be popular but starters are a safe bet.

That said, I'd really miss Charizard, I'd rather have Charizard on his own than Mewtwo tbh.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Wouldn't the easiest way to represent Gen 6 be to have Pokemon Trainer use the gen 6 starters? Starters are always among the most popular pokemon because they're there from the start and are usually pretty strong throughout the game.

You never know whether the proposed mascot of a generation will actually be popular but starters are a safe bet.

That said, I'd really miss Charizard, I'd rather have Charizard on his own than Mewtwo tbh.
Have unproven starters which we don't even know their last two stages replace the most popular Pokemon of all time, the current second favorite starter of all time, and ivysaur, that will bode over well

:phone:

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422

Best of lucking booting off Generation I Pokemon without any viable options.
At this point if no Gen VI mascot rises in popularity then I have doubts seeing Gen VI or even V on the roster.

My guesses:

4 Slots Pokemon
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer
Mewtwo

5 Slots Pokemon
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer
Mewtwo

Last slot will see competition between Gens IV, V, and VI mascots. My preference and bet will go to 4 slot Pokemon roster.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Have unproven starters which we don't even know their last two stages replace the most popular Pokemon of all time, the current second favorite starter of all time, and ivysaur, that will bode over well

I love the praise for squirtle and charizard but no love for ivysaur lol

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Ivysaur was never popular. Unless your name is Grovyle, expect the middle stage Pokemon to be overlooked by both the first and third forms.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
People can say all they want that there are no real patterns in determining the roster but until a Smash game disproves the idea that a pokemon from the latest gen becomes playable I'm sticking to it. So far I'm two for two.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
This definitely hurts the Gen V Pokémon as a wholes' chances. Victini's chances are now virtually nil. You can count Victini out folks.

In regard to Zoroark, this hurt his chances, but currently, he's still in control. If a huge generally liked mascot (viva Lucario) arrives, then that could definitely go as far as all that destroy his chances.... or he could remain as the top dog. Who knows=???

As for Genesect, I think he's on his last legs, but if he's a big part of Gen VI's promos, that would reverse my position. I don't think that will happen, which is why I think Genesect's hopes are all but done, especially with Zoroark dominating the Gen V discussion.

As for Gen VI, we still, again, gotta wait to see the (smash bros playable character-related) viability of these Pokémon. If we get a Pokémon that is anywhere as unique as Lucario and as popular (in regard to smash bros), then you can pretty much crown a winner. However, we could also get a situation like what happened with Gen III, where all of the popular Pokémon (in regards to as a playable smash bros character) had nothing that Sakurai was looking for.

There were two random and fairly disliked Gen III Pokémon Sakurai and co almost added to Brawl (Plusle and Minun), but ultimately, they didn't make the cut.

GetBentSaggy

Smash Apprentice
They main purpose they would have of putting a Gen VI Pokemon into Sm4sh is to promote that generation of Pokemon. Non-Pokemon fans/Gen VI fans will wonder about the Pokemon's story, what it does for other games, purpose, and any other information.

Then they're relying on people being familiar with Gen VI and among the best or most popular new Pokemon.

I have a strong feeling that they won't be including any Pokemon from Gen VI and instead pic a more requested and more well-known Pokemon.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ivysaur was never popular. Unless your name is Grovyle, expect the middle stage Pokemon to be overlooked by both the first and third forms.
I love wartortle...

I just love Blastoise more

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i would of thought the most popular pokemon from gen VI would stand decent chance of getting in

Chepe

Smash Lord
It's really going to depend on whether or not The Pokemon Company and Sakurai came to an agreement regarding a Gen 6 Pokemon. Smash 4 apparently began development in February 2012, while Pokemon XY would have began development around the beginning of 2011 at the latest if GameFreak's word on their development cycles is to be trusted.

That means that Pokemon XY could have been in development for about a year by the time Sakurai approached The Pokemon Company regarding Pokemon content for Smash 4. The new games and the 6th generation would have probably come up during discussion. If The Pokemon Company and Sakurai agreed on some "mascot" or otherwise significant new Pokemon, we will likely see such a Pokemon revealed in the coming months as part of a push to promote it. It might even appear in a starring role in the Genesect movie (which now features not one but five Genesect).

This discussion will undoubtedly grow in the coming months. I look forward to it...

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
For me, it's too close to call as of now. We'll have to wait and see what some of the next released Pokemon look like & if they seem to merit any kind of importance over the others in the next games

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Kind of agree with that. Specially considering that Gen I-V Pokémon will be featured in the new games alongside the new ones (unlike what Gen V did in B/W).

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, so it looks like we'll certainly have to play the waiting game on this one

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Gen 1 is still the best imo. There's still raw potential in some of the oldest biggest names.

For example:

Raichu :026: - (coupled with Pichu or not) having a moveset extremely similar to N64's Pikachu. If we have moveset alternatives, I want him to happen.

Snorlax :143: - 'Luigified' Jigglypuff clone. Taking the extremes between Falcon and Ganondorf even farther, Snorlax would be the COMPLETE opposite of Jigglypuff. Bad jumps, but strong ground game, extremely slow attacks, and extremely heavy. Rest would actually heal, Pound = Mega Punch and is much slower, yet stronger and works much the same as Pound. B = Roll Out, and Up B = Snore instead of Sing (an attack Snorlax can use while sleeping).

Bulbasaur :001: & Venusaur :003: - Both a faster and a lighter version of :ivysaurbrawl: :002: (Bulbasaur) and a heavier and stronger version (Venusaur). Wouldn't need much moveset tweaking for Bulbasaur at all, and only a few 'atletic' looking aerials would need changing for Venusaur. Make them optional as a 'Grass Type Pokemon Trainer'.

Charmander :004: & Charmeleon :005: - Versions of :charizardbrawl: :006: who cannot fly, and are a little weaker, but also slightly faster. Selectable by choosing 'Fire Type Pokemon Trainer'

Wartortle :008: & Blastoise :009: - Stronger, heavier and slower versions of :squirtlebrawl: :007: . Wartortle could use basically all of Squirtle's moves, but for Blastoise it's a bit harder. But Blastoise would in general be an awesome addition anyway. :009: Replace the Water Gun for Hyrdo Pump and make it work much like the PokeBall attacks for starts, and then move up to make an awesome Blastoise moveset (playstyle could be inspired by Bowser's). Only playable when picking 'Water Type Pokemon Trainer'

Mewtwo :150: :mewtwo: - No contest. Still am convinced he's the best.

Am not a Generation 1-warrior kinda guy, but still having the best memories about Pokemon from the first gen. Not so much the games, but the Pokemon in general.

Also, I think Pokemon evolution would make nice gimmicks. Especially for Pichu / Pikachu / Raichu and the various starters of the Pokemon Trainer.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Dream pokemon trainer. Squirtle, Wartotle, Blastoise

Squirtle could use bubble, wartortle could use water gun, Blastoise could use Hydro Pump

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
I always thought Meowth & even Snorlax both merited playability at one point or another. In my eyes, Meowth is more worthy than Jigglypuff, and Snorlax is probably on par with recognition.

But back on topic, an international release makes me think they might want to incude someone from Gen VI to market the current generation, and subsequently, more 3DS sales

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dream pokemon trainer. Squirtle, Wartotle, Blastoise

Blastoise is awesome. You missed the whole 'raise of the Blastoise' in the social thread a while ago. Started by yours truely. :awesome: In general I just want Blastoise vs Charizard to happen, as Pokemon game mechanics could never really phantom the awesome between this clash of giants.

Water Pokemon Trainer would be awesome. But Blastoise could work in a moveset around 'Rival Pokemon Trainer' as well, as the big heavy weight rivalling Red's Charizard. His light and medium type Pokes would also be there, but we all know the main focus would be on Blastoise anyway. :smirk:

:009:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
SSB64
Pikachu [mascot]
Jigglypuff [Red/Blue]

Mewtwo [Red/Blue, didn't make it in due to time constraints]

Melee
Pikachu [mascot]
Jigglypuff [Red/Blue]
Mewtwo [Red/Blue, popular demand]
Pichu [last-minute filler clone to buff the roster, Gold/Silver]

Brawl
Pikachu [mascot]
Pokemon Trainer Red [FireRed/LeafGreen]
Lucario [Diamond/Pearl]
Jigglypuff [last-minute re-addition to buff the roster, FireRed/LeafGreen]

Mewtwo [out-prioritized by Lucario, didn't make it in due to time constraints, FireRed/LeafGreen]
Plusle & Minun [last-minute filler clones, didn't make it in due to time constraints, Ruby/Sapphire]

SSB4
Pikachu [mascot]
Pokemon Trainer Gold [HeartGold/SoulSilver]
Zoroark [Black/White]
6th gen Pokemon [X/Y]
Mewtwo [popular demand]

Jigglypuff [last-minute re-addition to buff the roster]
Lucario [last-minute re-addition to buff the roster]
Pokemon Trainer Red [last-minute re-addition to buff the roster]

Well, I guess I could live with just Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer Gold, Zoroark, Mewtwo, and a 6th gen Pokemon. I will always support Meowth, though.

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
Picture if Sonic wouldn't have been cleared for addition. Suppose this was the reason many of the clones/less far along characters were cut. If he wouldn't have been OK'd for Brawl, in theory, Pokemon could've ended up with 6 slots in Brawl.

The point is those characters made it far enough to atleast have files on the disk, so it shouldn't be surprising if Pokemon does in fact gain several slots this time around.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Pra_Mai was never proved to be Plusle and Minun. Deny it or not, but that name is still ambiguous regardless of what is said.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's better effidence of a character than Toon Sheik... :rolleyes:

And I would've liked a Pichu replacement honestly.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
It's really going to depend on whether or not The Pokemon Company and Sakurai came to an agreement regarding a Gen 6 Pokemon. Smash 4 apparently began development in February 2012, while Pokemon XY would have began development around the beginning of 2011 at the latest if GameFreak's word on their development cycles is to be trusted.

That means that Pokemon XY could have been in development for about a year by the time Sakurai approached The Pokemon Company regarding Pokemon content for Smash 4. The new games and the 6th generation would have probably come up during discussion. If The Pokemon Company and Sakurai agreed on some "mascot" or otherwise significant new Pokemon, we will likely see such a Pokemon revealed in the coming months as part of a push to promote it. It might even appear in a starring role in the Genesect movie (which now features not one but five Genesect).

This discussion will undoubtedly grow in the coming months. I look forward to it...
I agree with this, especially the bolded.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It's better effidence of a character than Toon Sheik... :rolleyes:

And I would've liked a Pichu replacement honestly.

Yeah. At least Plusle & Minun would have been a little bit more unique than Pichu was, even if they still used the same moves as Pichu. If they were separate, I can see them hurting themselves with electric moves like Pichu did. It would discourage players from separating them like they could with Ice Climbers. It would emphasize the double matches from Ruby/Sapphire and their relationship.

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
Honestly with this announcement I can all but guarantee a Gen 6 Pokemon rep of some flavor. I could be wrong but in every other smash the latest gen was brought to the table as a playable character. (Melee did come out durring Gold/Silver didn't it?)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well if there isn't a playable character, then i'm sure several Pokeball Pokemon will be from the new games.

I don't get that either. If Pokemon has it's own category of Assist Trophy type items, why not put Pokemon such as Blaziken, or other popular choices in that spot? As in, those that aren't popular enough to get a playable spot.

Although its probably more like a slap in the face...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
*Lazy repost from Roster Discussion Thread*

As for how this effects Smash, I think it's inevitable we get several sixth gen Pokeballs and trophies and stuff, but until we really get a singular feasible character with a good amount of popularity (which would probably have to be unveiled relatively soon), I'm not convinced they'll get a playable rep yet. Oh, and I don't think this effects Mewtwo's chances at all.

However if we do get a standout character, I could very easily see fifth gen getting passed over, just like 3rd gen. Until then... I'd say Zoroark still shouldn't be discounted as a possibility, but I believe his chances have been firmly shaken. As for a different fifth gen? I very much doubt it.

Robotic Wind

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grey Walrus
my thing is brawl was in development while gen 4 was released and it still got a rep. Sure it was from a movie and pretty much had mewtwo's moves but I still think we could get a gen 6 playable pokemon. It just depends on what we get!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
my thing is brawl was in development while gen 4 was released and it still got a rep. Sure it was from a movie and pretty much had mewtwo's moves but I still think we could get a gen 6 playable pokemon. It just depends on what we get!
One move similar to Mewtwo's is hardly "having Mewtwo's moves".

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't think Zozoark was really ever that popular that they'd consider making a character of him in the first palce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom