• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midstate Massacre 2: Piedmont Prosecution - April 20th, 2013 - Charlotte, NC

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman

Tournament organized by v4extreme and TehSqueeMistro in conjunction with UNCC's MLG club.
Facebook event page
To contact me: 828.577.5503 - facebook - or just message me here on smashboards

9201 University City Blvd,
Charlotte, NC 28223-0001
Campus map
UNCC on google maps
While I wasn't able to get a room in the union this time either, I got a much bigger room in the same building so it won't be nearly as cramped as last time.

Parking
On campus parking is free on weekends. On the map you can see Cone decks 1 & 2 adjacent to Cone Center. This is the easiest place to park.
Parking map

Fees/Payouts
No venue fee
$5 Brawl/Melee singles
$5 Project M singles
$10 per doubles team (Brawl/Melee)
Payouts will be 60/25/15 split of the pot, subject to change pending attendance.

Rules
[COLLAPSE="Melee Rules"]
Singles Stages
Neutrals:
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Dreamland 64

Counterpick:
Pokemon Stadium

Doubles Stages
Neutrals:
Yoshi’s Story
Pokemon Stadium
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dream Land

Counterpick:
DK 64

Gentlemen's rule- Any stage may be played on if both player's/teams agree.

Modified Dave's stupid rule:
For 2/3 sets, a player may not pick a stage they have previously won a match on in that set.
For 3/5 sets, a player may not pick a stage they have won more than one match on in that set.

After first match:
Winner bans 1 stage (if match is 2/3)
Loser counterpicks
Winner may switch characters
Loser may switch characters

Sets are 2/3, finals 3/5.
4 stock
8 minute timer
Ties broken by stock, then %
First stage chosen by striking.

Wobbling, other such glitches and stalling techniques are banned.[/COLLAPSE]
[collapse="Brawl Rules"]General Rules
- 3 Stocks
- 8 Minute Time Limit
- Items set to “Off” and “None”
- Pause set to “Off”
- Meta Knight’s infinite dimensional cape tactic is banned.
- All infinites and chain grabs are legal.
- There is a 35 Ledge Grab Limit for all characters. If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
- The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterrupted moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
- Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
- If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:
~~~In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
~~~If the match ends with both players dying at the same time coincidentally, or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 15 is used for all characters.
~~~If a match is ended via suicide move, the initiator of the move wins.
- Any coaching that happens during the match (but not in between matches) is restricted. Players who violate this rule will receive a warning (BOTH the player AND the person coaching the player) on the first attempt. Players who violate this rule after a warning will be disqualified from the event and a possible ejection from the venue.
- Players are to attend their matches at the designated times they are called. If you are late to a match, the tournament organizer has the right to disqualify you from a single match or the entire set at his discretion.

Modified Doubles Rules
- Team Attack set to “On”
- Double Meta Knight is banned
- Life stealing is allowed
- In the event of a game reaching the time limit, if a single player on a team exceeds their Ledge Grab Limit, that team loses. If one or more players on both teams exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then the Ledge Grab Limit rule is ignored.
-In the event of a game going to time and the Ledge Grab Limit can not determine a winner and both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.
- If a player is using the character Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players.

Set Procedure
1. Player Priority is determined if it can not be agreed on. (See below for details)
2. Each Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
3. Each Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
4. The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 1-2-1 (Team 1 strikes one stage, followed by Team 2 striking two stages, with Team 1 then striking one of the two remaining stages).
5. The first match is played.
6. The team that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
7. The Team that won the previous match may announce one “Stage Ban” if they have not already done so in this set.
8. The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counter-pick Stage List. Any Stage named as a “Stage Ban” by the either Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.
9. The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
10. The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
11. The next match is played.
Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.

Determining Player Priority
- If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method:
- Teams will use a random method such as Rock-Paper-Scissors, Coin Flip, or Game and Watch Judgment, where the winner selects either first choice in port selection or first choice in stage striking. Whichever team does not receive first choice in port selection will be compensated with first choice in stage striking.

Note: In Doubles, port selection is ordered 1-2-2-1 fashion (with Team-1 having first choice in controller slot select, Team-2 having both second and third choice, and the final slot going to Team-1).

Stage List

Starters
- Battlefield
- Final Destination
- Lylat Cruise
- Smashville
- Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)

Counterpicks
- Battleship Halberd
- Pokemon Stadium 1
- Castle Siege
- Delfino Plaza
- Frigate Orpheon

Conduct Rules
- DSR: A player/team may not counter-pick to the stage they have won on in the current set.
- Gentleman’s Clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over DSR
- The Scrooging Rule: No scrooging (player may travel under the stage only once from the ledge)
***“Traveling under the stage once from the ledge” is defined as dropping off the ledge on one side of the stage and reaching the height of the original ledge on the other side of the stage.
***Corollaries to The Scrooging Rule:
____When one of the players is attacked by the other and takes damage, The Scrooging Rule does not apply.
____The moving platform on Smashville is considered to be equivalent to a ledge, i.e. if a player starts from the moving platform on one side of the stage and travels beneath the stage to the ledge/platform on the opposite side of the stage, the player may not travel beneath the stage back to the ledge/moving platform on the opposite side before until he lands back on the platform.
____If a player is found to be performing the act of scrooging by a tournament organizer (by his/her discretion), the player will forfeit that match.
- In the event pause is left on accidentally and is pressed, immediately call over the TO. Based upon their judgment, the situation will be resolved. If your situation is neutral [players are not in combat], the match will be resumed as if the pause had not occurred. If your situation is advantageous to one individual and the player in the disadvantageous situation paused, the disadvantaged player will be either placed in a grab or onto the ledge of the stage. If a player in a death situation [Chain grabs, Grab releases, Jab-locks to a kill move, etc] paused while in a death situation, the current stock is forfeited immediately. If you unpause before the TO reaches the station, the player that unpaused losses a stock.
- Players who use the Wii Remote must take the batteries out of the Wii Remote when not playing. If the Wii Remote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in, you could unintentionally disrupt a match. If problems persist, a DQ may happen.[/collapse]

[COLLAPSE="Project M Rules"]Project M Demo 2.5 Rule set

-4 stock 8 minute matches
-Sets are best of 3, Finals will be best of 5
-Items are set to off
-Input Assistance is off
-Any tactic to intentionally freeze, stall, or break the game is banned

7 Neutral stages, 6 Counterpick stages, 13 stages in total. (bottom and middle row stages)
Stage strike the starter list in 1-2-2-1-1-2 fashion.
The resulting winning player of the match gets 3 bans.
The rest would be the same as Melee rules, including modified dave's stupid rule, order of character selection, etc.

Neutrals
-Final Destination
-Battlefield
-Smashville
-Dream Land
-Pokemon Stadium 2
-Yoshi's Story
-Fountain of Dreams

Counterpicks
-WarioWare
-Pokemon Stadium 1
-Skyloft
-Skyworld
-Green Hill Zone
-Yoshi's Island

Texture/ model hacks are allowed so long as they meet the following requirements:
-Changes are visual only and not too misleading
-Characters cannot look like another playable character (i.e. Fox over Wolf, Marth over Ike, etc)
-Stage hacks must visually fit with the stage's collisions[/COLLAPSE]
Dining
Student Union (~10 minute walk):
Wendy's (10:30 AM - 12:30 AM)
Mama Leone's Pizza (4:00 PM - 10:00 PM)
Crown Commons Buffet (10:30AM - 8:30 PM, $7.85 lunch/$9.60 dinner)

Also on campus:
Chick Fil A, located in Prospector (building 34 on the map posted above), closes at 3:30 PM on Saturday.

There are many other restaurants a short drive from campus including Cookout and IHOP.

Schedule
Going to try to run this on a more structured schedule this time. These times aren't set in stone because that isn't really necessary, but this is a general idea of how it will run:

12:00 Registration for all games opens
1:00 Doubles registration closes, tournaments start
3:00 Brawl and Melee singles registration closes, tournaments start
6:00 Project M registration closes, tournament starts

Is That Tournament?
READ THIS PLEASE:

Update on how this will be run: I'd like to add something that may make things run more smoothly. Shoutouts to Mahone for the idea (I don't think he came up with it but he passed it along to me).

The quest to eliminate the question "is that tournament?"

STEP 1:

I bought a bunch of note cards.

STEP 2:

When I call a match, I will write the names of the competitors on one of the cards and hand it to one or both of them at the TO desk. This makes it very clear who your opponent is if they have to be found (last semester it was loud in the room and kind of hard to hear peoples names; I think seeing it spelled out will help).

STEP 3:

The players fold the card in half and place it on top of the TV while they play. Everyone can see that it is a tournament and who's playing if they were curious, so the set doesn't half to be interrupted by questions between matches or otherwise. It also makes it very easy to find a free setup to play on.

STEP 4:

After the match is played, the players write the set count on the card and return it to the TO desk. I won't have any trouble hearing someone's match result over the noise, or if I forget to enter it into tio instead of having to track someone down to ask them if they've played/what the result was I can just look and see if I have the card.

Setups/Attendance
We need setups! If you plan to bring something, please let me know, it helps with planning. Also make sure to RSVP to the event!

Kudzu

Smash Rookie
I'm in! I will enter Project M singles for sure, if anybody wants to team with me for doubles in Project M or Melee let me know.

Also, I will bring a Wii with Project M and a copy of Brawl.

Is this during UNCC's spring break Alex?

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Would I be able to get a ride from the megabus station to this tournament? And possible housing Friday and Saturday night?

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Just a reminder guys- if you're planning on coming let me know for sure so I can put you up on the attendance list and get moar hypez. A lot of you I basically know are coming anyway but I'm not putting any names up until people confirm.

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
A smash tourney on 4/20? ... My god.

I'll plan on it, but it's too far to say for sure so I won't RSVP yet.

BEHR

Smash Hero
this is the next tourney I plan on going to.

see you guys

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Update on how this will be run: I'd like to add something that may make things run more smoothly. Shoutouts to Mahone for the idea (I don't think he came up with it but he passed it along to me).

The quest to eliminate the question "is that tournament?"

STEP 1:

I bought a bunch of note cards.

STEP 2:

When I call a match, I will write the names of the competitors on one of the cards and hand it to one or both of them at the TO desk. This makes it very clear who your opponent is if they have to be found (last semester it was loud in the room and kind of hard to hear peoples names; I think seeing it spelled out will help).

STEP 3:

The players fold the card in half and place it on top of the TV while they play. Everyone can see that it is a tournament and who's playing if they were curious, so the set doesn't half to be interrupted by questions between matches or otherwise. It also makes it very easy to find a free setup to play on.

STEP 4:

After the match is played, the players write the set count on the card and return it to the TO desk. I won't have any trouble hearing someone's match result over the noise, or if I forget to enter it into tio instead of having to track someone down to ask them if they've played/what the result was I can just look and see if I have the card.

Edit: image scaling doesn't work on the new smashboards. Lovely.

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Brawl rules updated, courtesy of Archer:

[collapse="Brawl Rules"]General Rules
- 3 Stocks
- 8 Minute Time Limit
- Items set to “Off” and “None”
- Pause set to “Off”
- Meta Knight’s infinite dimensional cape tactic is banned.
- All infinites and chain grabs are legal.
- There is a 35 Ledge Grab Limit for all characters. If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
- The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterrupted moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
- Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
- If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:
~~~In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
~~~If the match ends with both players dying at the same time coincidentally, or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 15 is used for all characters.
~~~If a match is ended via suicide move, the initiator of the move wins.
- Any coaching that happens during the match (but not in between matches) is restricted. Players who violate this rule will receive a warning (BOTH the player AND the person coaching the player) on the first attempt. Players who violate this rule after a warning will be disqualified from the event and a possible ejection from the venue.
- Players are to attend their matches at the designated times they are called. If you are late to a match, the tournament organizer has the right to disqualify you from a single match or the entire set at his discretion.

Modified Doubles Rules
- Team Attack set to “On”
- Double Meta Knight is banned
- Life stealing is allowed
- In the event of a game reaching the time limit, if a single player on a team exceeds their Ledge Grab Limit, that team loses. If one or more players on both teams exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then the Ledge Grab Limit rule is ignored.
-In the event of a game going to time and the Ledge Grab Limit can not determine a winner and both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.
- If a player is using the character Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players.

Set Procedure
1. Player Priority is determined if it can not be agreed on. (See below for details)
2. Each Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
3. Each Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
4. The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 1-2-1 (Team 1 strikes one stage, followed by Team 2 striking two stages, with Team 1 then striking one of the two remaining stages).
5. The first match is played.
6. The team that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
7. The Team that won the previous match may announce one “Stage Ban” if they have not already done so in this set.
8. The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counter-pick Stage List. Any Stage named as a “Stage Ban” by the either Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.
9. The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
10. The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
11. The next match is played.
Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.

Determining Player Priority
- If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method:
- Teams will use a random method such as Rock-Paper-Scissors, Coin Flip, or Game and Watch Judgment, where the winner selects either first choice in port selection or first choice in stage striking. Whichever team does not receive first choice in port selection will be compensated with first choice in stage striking.

Note: In Doubles, port selection is ordered 1-2-2-1 fashion (with Team-1 having first choice in controller slot select, Team-2 having both second and third choice, and the final slot going to Team-1).

Stage List

Starters
- Battlefield
- Final Destination
- Lylat Cruise
- Smashville
- Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)

Counterpicks
- Battleship Halberd
- Pokemon Stadium 1
- Castle Siege
- Delfino Plaza
- Frigate Orpheon

Conduct Rules
- DSR: A player/team may not counter-pick to the stage they have won on in the current set.
- Gentleman’s Clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over DSR
- The Scrooging Rule: No scrooging (player may travel under the stage only once from the ledge)
***“Traveling under the stage once from the ledge” is defined as dropping off the ledge on one side of the stage and reaching the height of the original ledge on the other side of the stage.
***Corollaries to The Scrooging Rule:
____When one of the players is attacked by the other and takes damage, The Scrooging Rule does not apply.
____The moving platform on Smashville is considered to be equivalent to a ledge, i.e. if a player starts from the moving platform on one side of the stage and travels beneath the stage to the ledge/platform on the opposite side of the stage, the player may not travel beneath the stage back to the ledge/moving platform on the opposite side before until he lands back on the platform.
____If a player is found to be performing the act of scrooging by a tournament organizer (by his/her discretion), the player will forfeit that match.
- In the event pause is left on accidentally and is pressed, immediately call over the TO. Based upon their judgment, the situation will be resolved. If your situation is neutral [players are not in combat], the match will be resumed as if the pause had not occurred. If your situation is advantageous to one individual and the player in the disadvantageous situation paused, the disadvantaged player will be either placed in a grab or onto the ledge of the stage. If a player in a death situation [Chain grabs, Grab releases, Jab-locks to a kill move, etc] paused while in a death situation, the current stock is forfeited immediately. If you unpause before the TO reaches the station, the player that unpaused losses a stock.
- Players who use the Wii Remote must take the batteries out of the Wii Remote when not playing. If the Wii Remote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in, you could unintentionally disrupt a match. If problems persist, a DQ may happen.[/collapse]

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I'm interested in going, but quick question about bringing setups:

I have Melee as well as a Wii with component cables so that not only Melee looks great on an HDTV but it also will not lag. My question is will there be some HDTVs there so that I can use my setup? If there isn't I'm totally fine with playing on CRTs with just my Gamecube and whatnot.

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
I only know of one person who has an hdtv, and if he brings it I believe he will most likely have a console with it. Thanks for bringing a console, and I look forward to seeing you there!

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
100% coming to this with some sc melee people. Not really only plan on entering doubles haven't havent played brawl in 6 months and I suck.
That said does anyone want to team for brawl? Pm me

Kudzu

Smash Rookie
I will be here for Project M singles, hoping there's a bracket for Project M doubles!

I will also play Melee friendlies, but I don't think I will be able to enter the Melee bracket. There's a PKMN tournament across the street at Save Point starting at 12 that I will be attending. What time do I have to be there for Project M registration?

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Singles will be run after we finish doubles, so you should definitely be good for PM singles. PM doubles isn't planed but if there's interest (at least 4 teams) I'll run it. I'll be flexible about when it happens if I'm able to, but if there's a lot of interest we might have to start earlier. If you want to drop by in the morning and register I'll be in the room by 11, or I could just go ahead and enter you in tio for singles and you can pay me when you arrive.

V1CE

Smash Champion
Hey everyone I am probably coming home memorial day weekend... the 24th 25th 26th and 27th of MAY so be prepared to hang out and try to host a tourney that weekend please... id like to see everyone again

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone I am probably coming home memorial day weekend... the 24th 25th 26th and 27th of MAY so be prepared to hang out and try to host a tourney that weekend please... id like to see everyone again
Hype. I went the other day to reserve a space for that weekend for a tourney, they haven't processed the request yet but it's going to happen.

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Parking/traffic on campus might be a little hairy today- there's a football scrimmage, and it's uncc's first ever football game. Cone deck (the deck for the venue) is apparently not going to be affected, but keep in mind things might be busy. I recommend everyone go in through the main entrance, as Cone center is a straight shot just down the road from there. Again, my number is 828 577 5503. See you guys here!

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Coming, pretty sick though, threw up a couple times this morning. So may not enter.

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Okay wow we are getting nerfed by parking hard. You can NOT actually park in the cone deck apparently. Look/ask for visitor parking- try to come by cone and drop off setups first if you like, give me a call and I'll come get them from your car. 828 577 5503.

Top Bottom