• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The First Ever Nintendo product- Mr. Hanafuda

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
We had many surprise characters since Melee. The first being Mr. Game Watch, and recently R.O.B.​
Why not surprise us with Mr. Hanafuda?​
Hanafuda Cards were the first product Nintendo began with before the game industry. These cards were distributed in Japan in 1889 (Crazy eh?). This is the oldest (not video)game Nintendo has ever produced. Mr. Hanafuda appeared in actual games but they were all released in Japan only.​
Now what would Mr. Hanafuda look like?​
Mr. Hanafuda could look like a card with arms and legs, pretty simple!​
His moveset could be based on cards, and his playstyle could be similar to how Luxord fights, which makes him unique from the rest of the Smash cast.​
This is Luxord, incase you had never heard of KH.​
I will update the thread soon with a complete moveset. As of right now, what are your opinions on him?​
Mr. Hanafuda Icons:​
By Falkoopa:​
xHampi's moveset:
Neutral B : Love tester

Mister Hanafuda launch one of the metal balls from the Love Tester toward him, if the ball hit a foe the ball will wrap around him/her, he/she will be unable to go away until one of them get hurt or if Mr Hanafuda use this attack again, if he do he will use the love tester like a fishing rod and send his opponent flying in his direction.​
Up B : Ultra hand
Your basic tether reccovery attack except that he will act like the second part of the Love tester if it hit another character.​
Down B : Chiritorie
Mr Hanafuda will put a chicoritie on the ground, it will not move until an opponent gets too close, it will then begin to chase him/her, if it succeeds to touch him/her it will immobilize him/her for some seconds, in any case the Chiritorie will disappear sometimes after being summoned but not activate, fail to grab the opponent after some seconds, destroy by attacks of if Mr Hanafuda put another somewhere.​
Side B : Lefty RX
A little car who will go straight forward at high speed at the cost of not being to not being able to turn around or jump, will disappear once it hit something or fall to his demise.​
Final Smash : Kôsenjû SP Series
Works pretty much like Zelda's Light Arrow.​
Mr. Hanafuda's Supporting Cards:​
1. BluePikmin11​
2. ManBearPig​
3. Vintage Creep​
4. Banjodorf​
5. fogbadge​
6. xHampi​
7. GoldenYuiitusin​
8. Falkoopa​
9. Kamikazek​
10. Keybladeguy​
11. CalumG​
12. RaccoonBL​
13. APC99​
14. Michael Blaine​
15. grizby2​

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
He looks like Napoleon. Is he really Mr. Hanafuda or was Napoleon's image merely used to promote the cards?

:phone:

peeup

Smash Lord
Also is he technically eligible? Characters need to originate from a video game, yes? Or do they just have to originate from a game?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Also is he technically eligible? Characters need to originate from a video game, yes? Or do they just have to originate from a game?
Video game. Also, he's never been on a Nintendo console, so I think he's ineligible.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Actually Mr. Hanafuda appeared in actual games but they were all released in Japan only
http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Hanafuda
1500DS Spirits Vol. 5: Hanafuda - Nintendo DS (Japan only)
64 Hanafuda: Tenshi no Yakusoku - Nintendo 64 (Japan only)
Clubhouse Games - Nintendo DS
Hanafuda - Super Famicom (Japan only)
Hanfuda Ou - Super Famicom (Japan only)
Hanafuda Trump Mahjong: Depachika Wayounaka - Game Boy Advance (Japan only)
Honkaku Hanafuda GB - Game Boy Color (Japan only)
Karan Koron Gakuen: Hanafuda - Mahjong - Game Boy Color (Japan only)
Pocket Hanafuda - Game Boy Color (Japan only)
Super Hanafuda - Super Famicom (Japan only)
Super Hanafuda 2 - Super Famicom (Japan only)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
this has got to be the most insane character idea ive ever heard

and im all for whacky fighters so why not

D

Deleted member

I like this idea. If not Sheriff, then I would hope Mr. Hanafuda would be added if we get a pre-G&W historic rep.

Whether or not he debuted in a game or not, he is important to Nintendo history, and can be considered a Smash Original if need be.

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
I like this idea. If not Sheriff, then I would hope Mr. Hanafuda would be added if we get a pre-G&W historic rep.

Whether or not he debuted in a game or not, he is important to Nintendo history, and can be considered a Smash Original if need be.
This. And the funny thing is, it really seems likely to be that kind of "surprise" character that is an ode to Nintendo's History that would show up in a smash game.

Its brilliant hahah and if this happens you need to play the lotto and claim your prize money.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
OP: To make him unique, let's copy his moves from Luxord

Me:...

D

Deleted member

OP: To make him unique, let's copy his moves from Luxord

Me:...
Unless there is someone else in Smash that copies Luxord, that is unique.

Unique is not the same thing as "original", you know. While copying Luxord would make the character unoriginal, it still makes him unique from the rest of the cast.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
But one of Sakurai's criteria for a character being eligible to be in a Smash game is that said character had to originate in a video game. So he's therefore ineligible.

D

Deleted member

But one of Sakurai's criteria for a character being eligible to be in a Smash game is that said character had to originate in a video game. So he's therefore ineligible.
4 problems with this:

1. He said that for 3rd Parties specifically.
2. :rob: (Being an accessory for a game is not the same as originating IN it.)
3. :lucario: (Debuted in Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, far before an appearance in a game.)
4. :gw: (No such character exists in the old Game & Watch titles. He is only based of the multiple nameless characters.)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
4 problems with this:

1. He said that for 3rd Parties specifically.
Who says it can't apply to non-third parties?

2. :rob: (Being an accessory for a game is not the same as originating IN it.)
4. :gw: (No such character exists in the old Game & Watch titles. He is based of the multiple nameless characters.)
Perhaps Sakurai considers that "good enough."

Regardless of Hanafuda's eligibility, I still think Sheriff is a better choice.

D

Deleted member

If you have to make assumptions to make exceptions, then you've lost the argument. The point is that those three are examples of Nintendo characters that did not debut in a game (or in G&W's case, not at all) and still were elligible for Smash.
Also, give proof that the Lucario example applies to "a number of characters".

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
If you have to make assumptions to make exceptions, then you've lost the argument. The point is that those three are examples of Nintendo characters that did not debut in a game (or in G&W's case, not at all) and still were elligible for Smash.
I was going to say that too. :D

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Point. Still think there are better options.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
I've actually heard this topic brought up pre-brawl. Didn't like it then, don't like it now. If we're going to get a complete WTF retro, I'd prefer Duck Hunt Dog, or that kid from Star Tropics. (Mike Jones?)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I've actually heard this topic brought up pre-brawl. Didn't like it then, don't like it now. If we're going to get a complete WTF retro, I'd prefer Duck Hunt Dog, or that kid from Star Tropics. (Mike Jones?)
As established, there are no "WTF" retros. The ones most people call "WTF" are there to represent Nintendo hardware history.
-G&W was Nintendo's first handheld, and invented the D-Pad.
-ROB was and NES accessory that helped revive the North American video game market.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No, WTF-addtions are also characters as Captain Falcon and Ness (64), Sheik, Ice Climbers and Roy (Melee) and Zero Suit Samus and Pokémon Trainer (Brawl).

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
OH LORD.

THIS IS PERFECT. A Hanafuda card...man, is honestly the greatest WTF ever. Holy crapola.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not many where exactly expecting him. Just suggesting him, and not in the way he was implemented either with Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard. So yes, he's a WTF additon to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom