• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Full Smash 64 Learning Curve (MASSIVE UPDATES)

valoem

Smash Journeyman
Before I begin I want you to note that playing smash competitively has taught me to appreciate and understand the high level of skill in any professional level competition and for those of you who don't know it yet I'm simply awakening what you already know.

Smash is a great game because all great forms of competition share at least THREE fundamental skills which need to be mastered. Smash has all three of them. This applies mainly to sports and games where one players input DIRECTLY affects another player i.e. Soccer, football, Motorsports, poker, good video games, etc. It also applies to Swimming I think and probably some other games (but not so much bowling for example). Some games may have more but they share these three fundamental skills.

Technique (for example in sports its physique, in smash is not missing l cancel and not missing hits)
Spacing
Mind Games

Mastering these three skills is the only path to an althete's or player's ultimate desire: Total Control

The learning curve and levels of smash or at least how i feel it is
Everything is based on a 5 stock game.

Most people are only as good as their competition only the truly great can evolve by themselves and reach unknown levels

Level 0 [Complete nubs]:
This is when you just start playing and you can barely control your character. The only thing you do know at this point is the concept of the game as in you know that unlike every other fighting game ever made the goal is to rack up damage and knock your opponent out of the arena (and your like **** that's awesome). You do random moves normally at the wrong time. And there is probably a bit of button mashing going on at first, but then you realize that it is not like many fighting games like mvsc, mortal combat, and esp DBZ. Instead it is platform fighting (smash is the first and only game like this). This level normally last for a day to a week or maybe even a few.

Level 1A [the B move phase]:
At this point you understand all the moves but just barely. You know that every character has special moves (the b moves) and regular moves (the a moves). You normally do a lot of tilt a incorrectly because you cant always time the smash moves correctly (or your not sure how to do them rite just that they exist). But your to told that every character has "special moves" so you normal just keep doing them the most (mainly directional b). You barely roll and barely grab.

Level 1B:
At this level the players are more fluent in the moves. There is a little more smash attacking going on. Most people use kirby, link, or pikachu at this phase. Mainly kirby. People still rely mainly on directional b moves. Like the kirby players will normally float up and try to rock you. The Link will "up b" u as in the fire sword spin. The pikachu will try to wait for the opportune time to thunder you. Also players will start to do aerial moves. But people normally think that (up or down) B is the best way to finish people off still they barely know about smash moves. Also shielding is used as a defensive, almost never rolling.

Level 2A [The smash attack phase]:
Just discovered smash moves. Esp for the Kirby users. Normally the players are just like OMG this is awesome smash moves are simple and kill easily. Rolling is also discovered but used incorrectly sometimes. Players at level almost never use "tilt a" unless by mistake. Sometimes the player will try to trapped u by rapidly pressing a. At this level players will still use directional b moves to attack esp for kirby however much less often. Also at this level people begin to use aerial attacks more. Normally a Kirby player would try to drill kick you pikachu will also aerial down a. However players at this level normally only forward smash and back smash you. People normally begin to use fox (and kirby of course) more because they see he has a good smash move.

Level 2B [Dodge and attack phase]:
This is the first phase when people think they are getting good. Rolling is used more to dodge and often too much. People start grabbing a little but only forward throw some times back but not as a strategy. People are normally about dealing damage with a single blow. So normally they will smash A because it does the most damage quickly. A player will realize that the directional b moves are terrible to use as an attack and rely mainly on smash moves. As a result they will **** Level 1 players (by rolling and smashing) and get close but always beat Level 2A (normally with a full life and on occasion 2 lives because they roll better). This is why people think they are good because they can **** level one players with at least 3 lives.

Level 3A [the grab phase]:
This is when players think they are good and is the first level where mind games actually exist. Mind games by its simply definition is where a player attempts to predict and trick his opponents. They will think that this is the final level and that their is only a little more to learn. At this phase people normally think yoshi, link, and samus suck because their grab is too slow. Normally it take at least a year, sometimes two to discovery this phase without someone showing them. By now the players are familar with every move whether or not it is actually used. The player will do three things. Smash attacks at the oppurtune time, used aerial attacks more frequently, and grab grab grab grab. People realize that grabbing is the fastest move and think the grabbing is everything. Normally people at this phaze will destroy level 2 players with 3 stock at least. Players will still roll to avoid and shield and then shield grab. There is very little use of tilt A at this level. Normally people used pikachu, ness, and fox at this phaze because they have the speed and quick grabs. Of course during this phaze people rely way too much on grabbing.

Level 3B [scrub phase]:
This the longest lasting phase. 80 to 90% of all players are trapped on this level and think they are unbeatable at the game. Normally people think they are the best at smash until someone at a higher level comes and destroys them. The cockiest players often play at this level. People reach this part of level 3 by practicing at level 3A for 6 months to 2 years. Normally they can **** a level 2 player with three to four lives and beat most players who think they are good (level 3A players) with 1 full life. People never consciously touch advance techniques (Z cancel and short hopping) at this level. However, dash dancing is used a lot. Spiking is also used though not consistantly. The B moves (fox's gun, pikachu lighting bolt, kirby absorb) are used on occasion normally during a stall or to camp. Players at this level will often camp as a strategy if they are losing. Players at this level begin to use "tilt moves" a lot more. For example a pikachu player will tilt up a (the little tail whip to rack damage). Also because of practice they will be more fluent than just level 3A grab whoring. Kirby will also smash much more precisely. However the main strategy is grabbing. They mostly grab to finish people and sometimes use smash attack often as a ledge guard. People never combo except as a fluke where it happens by instinct (not a planned out combo that can be repeated in the same situation). The only controlled combos are normally a repetition of the tilt A over and over. Also a player will use aerial attacks when needed. However more than anything the player will still grab. Normally people will try to find ways around grabbing (like smash down A with fox) however the grabber always out plays them because they don't know advance techniques. Also spiking is used but not done fluently. Thus many deem ssb64 obsolete because they think all you need to do is grab. Not true. Players who chose to play Link, Samus, or Yoshi don't necessarily skip this phase. Instead they go on an alternate path which I will write in the future.

Level 4 [advance techniques]:
This is the phase when the player realizes that grabbing is only a small part in the game. This level is normally reached by the discovery of z cancel and short hopping or after being ***** or watching a video of the top players in the nation. A player will begin dash dancing a lot more as a tactic, and short hop up to do any aerial attack. Also the player discoveries all the tilt a moves and how useful they are. Normally these player will beat level 3 players with 1 to 2 lives. It is not **** yet because players at this level are not fluent in combing. Normally players don't know how to reflector break with fox and dont utilze every move the character has (like the tap a move). Players at this level begin to smash up A as well as grab to finish the player off. Also at this level players begin to edge hog and a go off the edge to attack the opponent whether is it to spike or knock them futher. Normally when players reach this level they realize there is much more to learn and that there could always be better. They normally can beat a level 3B player with 1 to 2 lives but can still lose to them if they are not careful.

Level 5A [The mastering level]:
At this level the players utilize every move the character has. And begins to combo. Short hop is constantly used and it become very difficult to grab these players. Though they are not completely fluent with comboing they are getting to the ultimate level. Players now can use everything fluently although not connected yet. Fox can shine break, drill kick, ness can double jump cancel and break shields, etc. Players try to combo and can destroy a level 3 player with 2 to 3 lives and a level 4 with 1 to 2 lives.

Level 5B [Fluency Level]:
This is the next level a ssb player can reach. They now can combo fluently and connect their attacks. Every technique is used and once a player of this level touches the opponent he could deal 40 to 50% damage and normally finish them off. A player of this level could destroy a level 3 player without losing a life. And beat level 5A players with 2 to 3 lives, and level 4 players with 3 to 4 lives.

Level 5C:
During this phase you can mildly out combo level 5B players. You learn to move faster and slowly become harder to hit. You can outperform level 5B players in tournament but can still lose to level 5B players if you are not careful.

BECAUSE THIS THREAD WAS BUMPED HERE IS THE LONG AWAITED UPDATE 11/18/08:

The beauty of a great game is that it evolves with time. Smash has evolve so much since 05 when I wrote this thread. This was before we consistantly DI'ed and used all the things people now implement. I know for a fact that most things were discovered in 05 but they are implemented nowhere near as well as they are today. I am sure that this learning curve well continue to expand and this is not the end.

Note: The bold is where I changed wording from previous edit on 01-21-2006

Level 6 [Don't get hit]:
Going from level 5 to 6 is by far the hardest phase. To put it simply this is the phase when you can completely out space and prioritize Level 5 players. Even perfect comboing is nowhere near enough to master the game. This level is all about spacing and knowing excatly what the most critical hit is. With DI combos are harder to perform and the game expands to new possibilities. By now you already discovered most combos (including the most difficult situational combos i.e. wall combos) AND how to perform them consistantly, but now you are also very difficult to hit and can normally hit level 5 opponents before they can hit you. Also you can gimp opponents in most scenarios where it is possible. You have to know how to lure the other player in such as throwing missed hit next to them and knowing that they are just out of your reach. This level (like all levels) requires a new level of mind games. You have to know where the opponent is going before they do and you have to space it so if they trick you they will have maximum difficulty hitting you.

Examples: Johnny, BoomFan, and Alancitu (according to Keshiki)

Level World Champion:
Not much is known about this level there might even be a few levels before this, only one person really knows what goes on here and its not me.

And Beyond:
Awaiting our discovery.

whitephoenix

Smash Rookie
Nice Job!

This looks very good. Those are much the same stages that I remember going through as I increased my competency. And the earlier levels appear very accurate after I have seen some of my newb friends begin to play and gradually learn more. I see myself on this scale as a Level-5, Part-1 Smash Master (I don't think I have reached Part 2 just yet; although I won't know for sure just how good I am until I have played some other Masters).

TheOmniAdam

Smash Rookie
Very Accurate

I pretty much skipped the grabbing phase because I'm Link, and as I've said, the throw is VERY much a double edged sword, only to be used in near certainty. As a level 3, I just didn't have that all too often, but I have a friend who stayed in that level for a good three years, and watched him compensate for the years of not progressing past it simply from me asking why he never Z cancelled and my other friend asking why he sucked at dodging. It was enough to push his gameplay to the next level and he's up there with us now. I'd say I'm a Level 5 (Part 1) as well, on the basis that I ALWAYS feel their is room for improvement, but I think my friend Quinn may have touched into that part 2 area. Well put all in all good sir Phoenix

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
I would probably say that im a level 5 part 2, ive played people that really know what they're doing but they dont take a life off especially when im pikachu, destructive damage giving combos, z canceling, and advanced ledge techniques. Learn incredible comboing from Isai vids. But I barely play ssb64 anymore, now that im working myself at ssbm.

MarthMaster2

Smash Apprentice
Well done!

I see myself as a level 4 i guess. I wouldn't consider myself a level 5 but i'm pretty good.

Captain_Obvious

Smash Journeyman
SSB Strat. Guide Use?

Hey, I'm writing a Wikibooks SSB64 Comprehensive Strategy guide. Do you think it would be alright if I used your levels? I won't edit them much except for spelling and formatting. Very good work with them, by the way.

- Captain R.D. Obvious

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
I was expecting something really corny and noobish but I was pleasantly surprised by the good tiering system.

Because I played SF competitively I skipped Lv.0 to Lv.2 Pt.1. Then when I discovered Z-canceling (by accident with Link waaaay before I knew about competitve Smash) I could basically beat anyone.

I can say that most people on this board (including myself) is not a *FULL* Lv.5 part 2, some of you are probably at that level with some characters-like myself. (Pika/CF/Yoshi/Ness/Jiggly) :chuckle:

valoem

Smash Journeyman
Captain_Obvious said:
Hey, I'm writing a Wikibooks SSB64 Comprehensive Strategy guide. Do you think it would be alright if I used your levels? I won't edit them much except for spelling and formatting. Very good work with them, by the way.

- Captain R.D. Obvious
thanks

Of course, dont forget to credit me =P

Blue Bird

Smash Cadet
Hmm... all I have to say is... LOL! That's exactly what happened to me when I first started playing. :p I can remember myself going through the stages when I didn't know anything about the game.

I'd say I'm probably a level 4 now. I'm totally past grabbing (I don't think I even do, only when I'm having fun or to suicide off the edge) and I most certainly go off the edge. I can beat most of my friends but I also lose a lot too to my Samus-player friends. Right now the only thing I could do better is timing my sword technique to spike them off the edge. I think just drilling them down is so cheap...

And what's so bad about the Kirby Rock? It may sound newbie, but it's perfect for tons of stuff. Is the rock considered a bad move? :/

[EDIT] I've been reading other threads. I might still be a level 2. I dunno. The thing is, I don't think I use any... combos? At least not with Kirby, anyway... Does aerial d+A, d+A count as a combo? I do it a lot. :p

What the hell is "tilt a"? I'm using an emulator right now, but does it refer to "angling" your moves on the control stick?

UltimateYoshi

Smash Cadet
Hey Blue Bird, I think I just played with you. I'm BETA. Weren't you the guy who can't use Link?

Tilt refers to pushing the control stick a certain way, but not doing a fierce attack. Yoshi's head scoop is a tilt attack.

Not all combos are part of an attack. Hitting people repeatedly, such as knocking them into the air, and following up with an aerial attack, is considered a combo I think.

Blue Bird

Smash Cadet
Yes lol. That was me. I remember you. And yes I DEFINETELY can't use Link. I did fine with the N64 but apparently I've lost my practice. Looks like now I can only play with Kirby and Pikachu. :p

After playing online I think I'd put myself at level 3.1, but lol I don't think I'm amazingly good. I don't think anyone can possibly think that, especially after they've gotten their butts whipped in such bad way!

D

Deleted member

ha ha you guys are too much.

just have fun with the game and get better as you go.

and kirby might be cheap, but there's nothing wrong with playing him. I know kirby is still my fav character for the game, and I barely land anymore when I play :p

I don't use Kirby's sucker thing. Can I still be a master??

ChaosKnightXD

Smash Apprentice
id say im a lvl3 part2 and im trapped there... i have no one to play against and i dont know any sites to get videos of people fighting each other. i just got SSBM and im using it to hone my skills and rethink my strategy since the AI is a lot more advanced on that game.

o and wtf is z cancel and short hopping lol

EDIT:im lvl 4 now yay for me... i think it might be a while though till i get to lvl 5. im not fully accustumed to using z cancel and dash dancing on the gamecube because its just harder to do with the controls. i do it all the time on the N64 version but its harder to do on Melee.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
That seems accurate for the most part, but the length of time spent at some of those stages is just ridiculous! Unless someone has no one to play with, or only plays the game once or twice a month, I can't see anyone staying at a lower stage for upwards to a year.

At least for myself, the progression was fast and smooth. I only care about having a lot of fun with my friends playing this game (that IS why I play it, after all), and so the techniques just developed naturally. You adapt by human nature.

Haze01

Smash Apprentice
I'm in the same boat as ChaosKnightXD; a level 3, part 2 and trapped there. I don't really mind, because I still have lots of fun playing with a friend of mine (the only person I know who plays) who has been playing with me all along, and getting better with me. However, seeing the Isai vids, and reading this, I know there is much more to the game, and I'm rather interested in learning.

For the advanced concepts; I understand Short Hopping, Z-Recover and Z-Cancel. I do not understand dash dancing. I can apply Z-Recover just fine. My short hopping is erratic, and uses the C buttons (should I be using the stick?). My Z-Cancelling is horrible, usually either not coming off or else working then guarding... and I can never tell when it works right unless using link's uair and dair. Dash dancing, I don't really know what it is or how to use it strategically. It's possible I do that already but don't know what it is.

Lastly, I gotta say, I want to learn how to taunt like Isai - dashing back and forth and taunting over and over so quickly.

Well, any help will be appreciated. Oh, the wikipedia article was pretty good, and helped a little.

Snakeyes0101

Smash Rookie
I guess I'm at level 4 right now so could someone please help me reach lvl. 5 by telling me how to shine break and double jump cancel ? :p

Kami

Smash Cadet
Level 5, part 1.5. I was living in Japan when the game came out there, after cutting my cartridge so it would fit my US 64, I played competitively with my friends for about a year before it came out elsewhere in the world, and have been playing regularly since. Now I live in Hawaii, and I've only met a few other players who can even compete with me (they're the guys I play with regularly, one of them plays Pikachu and Falcon and the other is strictly Kirby). I'm a Yoshi, Ness and Jigglypuff player, mainly, but my Fox and Link are hella strong, and I can play every character proficiently.

valoem

Smash Journeyman
totally forgot about "da mind games" though ssb64 mind games are much easier than melee

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
valoem said:
totally forgot about "da mind games" though ssb64 mind games are much easier than melee
Not really, both games have equal amount of mindgames. In SSB64 you have to improvise many things because they aren't present like in Melee which takes much mindgames.

In Melee you have Air Dodge, better sweet spots, wavedashing etc... which IMO allows you to depend on ingame factors to create mindgames for you rather than you pstching your opponents in SSB64.

WANG Style

Smash Rookie
Snakeyes0101 said:
I guess I'm at level 4 right now so could someone please help me reach lvl. 5 by telling me how to shine break and double jump cancel ? :p
Try to hit jump and then down b almost at the same time (do this by sliding you finger down from c pad to b)

EDIT:

Double jump cancel can only be done with ness and yoshi just attack out of the second jump. If slide your finger down the c pad to A you can do it. It is faster than short hopping.

psychoticworm

Smash Apprentice
good list. impressive, I like how its set up. I would put myself in the mid level 4 range in this case. I'm not quite good at comboing, but i do finally realize, and I have realized, that I'm not the greatest smasher, I would probably get ***** at a tournament. and I agree whole heartedly, with the diagnosis of each level. All the people I've versed and won against, have the idea that they're unbeatable. again very good list. I'm suprised how accurate your descriptions are :p

10/10 :)

Link_Wins

Smash Apprentice
hmm i dunno what lvl i am, i currently play as fox/link, im past the grabbing stag but i can only vcombo every now and the. and i will probnly start online play tommorow when i can get the rom

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
Dude you must not know very much about Street Fighter, because you cannot button mash in that game. MvC2 is what you’re thinking of. Try going to a 3rd Strike tournament and button mash there. You can even try button mashing against any decent opponent and you’ll still get served. Button mashing in Street Fighter is like trying to button mash in smash.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Lord HDL said:
MvC2 is what you’re thinking of.
You can't button mash in MVC2 either. Heck your opponent doesn't even have time to button mash because he'd already be KOed by then for sucking. :laugh:

That is the way of Marvel.

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
In MvC2 you’ll still lose to a good player, but what I mean is that by button mashing you can actually string moves and hypers together without having a clue of what you’re doing.

valoem

Smash Journeyman
Lord HDL said:
Dude you must not know very much about Street Fighter, because you cannot button mash in that game. MvC2 is what you’re thinking of. Try going to a 3rd Strike tournament and button mash there. You can even try button mashing against any decent opponent and you’ll still get served. Button mashing in Street Fighter is like trying to button mash in smash.
Your definately right. My bad I was talking about mvsc but accidently said SF because they are made by the same people and i wasnt really into the SF genre when i posted this thread 6 months ago so i just clumped them, mistakenly. I have beaten people in mvsc who knew what they were doing and knew how to combo just by button mashing. Of course they were not high level players no one can beat any high level players by button mashing in any good fighting game. What I meant was that in many fighting games button mashing does work occasionally on causal players while in smash it never does. I have been playing a lot of capcom vs snk 2 and a little third strike in the past 4 months and those two games are definitely not button mashing games. DBZ on the other hand .... :urg:

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Lord HDL said:
In MvC2 you’ll still lose to a good player, but what I mean is that by button mashing you can actually string moves and hypers together without having a clue of what you’re doing.
Oh I see. Tru tru. :laugh:

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
wow, i finally read that whole beast of a learning curve. it's pretty **** accurate, except i think there are a lot more levels between lvl 5 part 1 and lvl 5 part 2. maybe just another part. i don't know. all i know is that isai's level is much higher than anyone elses, and it makes me cry.

marthmaster04

Smash Ace
I really don't know what I'd be considered, I came back to smash 64 after playing melee for a long time. So I came back to ssb with a high degree of skills and mind games. Cancels and aerials are pretty fluent for me and I've even comboed some ppl from 0 to death. Though the way I see it, I'm a long way from mastering this game or being that touch of death thing. :laugh:

nookrulz

Smash Ace
I think spiking can be part of Level 3, not 4 or 5. It's actually a pretty easy technique - much more so than comboing, etc.

Haze01

Smash Apprentice
It was mentioned at the end of Level 3 (Part 2) "Also, spiking is used but not done fluently."

Nigzel

Smash Ace
XD

TOO....GOOD.... hahaha, it's true <.<'

btw, you always spell I with a big I.

"People please add more info and tell me things i missed?"

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
The Dude said:
the last level should be:

level 6 [The Isai level]
nah,it should be[The Curu level]or[The Higher Assissin level]

also,you should have more info on defensive and speedy characters.
and not to sound cocky about myself,but i see myself past level 5

Top Bottom