• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox's Infinite Waveshine Combo Handicap

Dalal

Smash Ace
Final Destination - I have been trying to master t
If you've already mastered Fox's Infinite Waveshine Combo then ignore...

Fox has a combo where he shines the opponent, wavedashes, then shines again, and then wavedashes again. This can be repeated until you reach the end of the stage. This combo can be made truly infinite if, when your shined opponent is near the edge of the stage, you shine him back the other way by wavedashing a little bit past him and then shining. This is a great combo for racking up damage on the opponent and finally short-hop nair-ing it at the edge of the FD to send them flying far horizontally. However, this combo is hard to master and you need a perfect wavedash.

Anyway, I'm sure most of you knew that. What I'm hear to talk about is a cheap way to make this infinite combo easier. A way to apply a 'handicap' so that performing this combo becomes a breeze. Although this takes some practice to master, mastering the combo without a handicap will take way more time and effort. So here's the thing:

As soon as a course is selected and it begins loading, lightly hold up on the control stick with your left thumb. You should push the control stick up about 1/4 of the way it can go totally. At the same time, hold Start+X+Y with your right hand by putting the index finger on Start, the middle on Y, and the ring finger on X. Don't hold L or R or Z. Hold this position until you see 'Go!' on the screen. The handicap has been activated! Now, you'll notice that you can wavedash while holding the control stick perfectly horizontal. Now, if you press Down+B and then immediately do a perfectly horizontal wavedash, you'll slide fast and long and will be able to immediately shine them again, starting the infinite! You can also activate this in the middle of a match while they are dying. Hold up and X+Y+Start for 3 seconds just as before. What this does is it resets the neutral position of the Control Stick so that it's always pointing a little downwards. If you practice the infinite combo with this 'handicap' activated, you'll be doing it perfectly after a way smaller amount of practice. Try it on Doctor Mario, Samus... all the characters except Luigi. It becomes so much easier.

But keep in mind that this, being a handicap, will do exactly as a normal handicap does; it will get you dependant on it. So only use this once in a while so you don't become too comfortable wavedashing while holding the control stick perfectly horizontal.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this with you guys in case you didn't know it. I think it's pretty cool! By the way, this is the most useful when you're playing on Final Destination. They can't do anything and they think you're really skilled...

GAYB

Smash Cadet
thats neat i guess, doesnt really seem that usefull though. kinda unpractical

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
omg lolz, my friend did dis in a small tourney we had of ppl for our skool lol. he held the control stick up a little bit before the plugged in his controller. pressing start+y+x makes it so that the gamecube thinks the controller is no longer plugged. so, u can just do this before you plug in ur controller or before you turn on ur gamecube to make it unnoticeable...

Dalal

Smash Ace
GAYB said:
Well, if you practice it enough, you can beat anyone in Final Destination easy! Try it! I'm not that good at it yet but I already freaked some of my friends out with this trick and got a few K.O's. It makes you look way better than you actually are. And plus, you can get rid of it anytime if you're having problems with it. After you kill them, hold X+Y+Start but keep the Control Stick in the neutral position so that it re-assigns the position. I know it sounds cheap and useless but if you actually try it once, you'll see that it's useful and practical. Well, I don't know, maybe some might not think the same way I do... but still!

foxandfalco said:
pressing start+y+x makes it so that the gamecube thinks the controller is no longer plugged. so, u can just do this before you plug in ur controller or before you turn on ur gamecube to make it unnoticeable...
Does it? I thought pressing that button combination just resets the L, R, and Start buttons to what you're holding them like at the moment. That's what it said in the Gamecube manual.

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
I imagine this would be banned in a real tournament (making it not so practical). Beat down yor friends with this though if you want >_>

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
it seems to have its disadvantages though, you can't drop down from the ledge and ledgeslide, you have to be very careful when air dodging/using up b's that are directionally dependant, titlted smashes are affected, i would think your shield would be tilted, etc. Although all of these things can be countered by just adjusting how you play, it would be difficult.

Silver Fox

Smash Apprentice
When ever I do it on link or shiek it works, but samus and marth seem to go al ittle far and by the time you have wave shined and are ready to reflector again they are unstunned and they roll away or jump.
Is that the case or do I just need to be faster with that.

Dalal

Smash Ace
Hmm... If you're in a tournament and Final Destination is selected, you can just casually press the required button combination and no one will notice. If it's officially 'banned' then I guess it would be cheating. But I don't think there are any rules in tournaments telling you whether or not you can press X+Y+Start before a match begins, are there?

omegablackmage, you're definitely right about that but if I were playing a serious match with this 'handicap' then I would only really use it on Final Destination for the infinite combo. I wouldn't dare try any tilt attacks or other things. I'd just get them trapped in the combo and then use the C-Stick to u-smash them or, I'll try to do a nair to knock them off the course by holding the control stick slightly higher than normal. With practice, I think this is a good technique.

Silver Fox said:
When ever I do it on link or shiek it works, but samus and marth seem to go al ittle far and by the time you have wave shined and are ready to reflector again they are unstunned and they roll away or jump.
Is that the case or do I just need to be faster with that.
Hmm... Link is easy to waveshine without the handicap because he barely slides. The others should be easy with the handicap. Maybe if you get out of the shine faster you'll be able to get them. I recall doing this to a Marth. But he was a human not a CPU. I guess it all comes down to a quick right hand. The only reason it's easier with the handicap is because you don't really need to bother much about the control stick when wavedashing. I'd say just try to get out of the shine as fast as you can.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Dalal said:
Does it? I thought pressing that button combination just resets the L, R, and Start buttons to what you're holding them like at the moment. That's what it said in the Gamecube manual.
Start + Y + X 's mean use is for reposition the control or c stick if the gamecube thinks it's out of place. like, if you hold the control stick in a position before turning on the gc. and like i said before, it makes the gc think the controller isnt plugged in. you can be very sneeky with this. but i actually never tried it and i never will :p i already know it works and i dont find waveshine comboing difficult

MetaKnight0 said:
I imagine this would be banned in a real tournament (making it not so practical). Beat down yor friends with this though if you want >_>
it's VERY unnoticable when u do it while before you plug in ur controller at tourneys

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
Or you can just do infinites and then you don't have to fool people and pretend you're skilled... Because you WILL be skilled! Hooray! Cool tactic though. I actually never knew this. I'll definitely do it to my friends.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
GAYB said:
It is extremely necessary, that is one of the top smasher Kent's technics, If you master it... you'll become a very dangerous opponent.

.....later :psycho:

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
the problem is that the nair is harder to do. u have to tilt the controls stick up a little (same posistion you tilted to start the handicap) since the gamecube thinks that's the central of the controller. unless u like doing d-airs without pressing down...

Dalal

Smash Ace
I don't understand exactly what you are saying. I'm talking about using it on normal people. I mean it is possible to use in an actual tournament because you don't have to unplug the controller or anyting. And it's not just to appear skilled, it's because it improves the consistency and efficiency of the waveshine combo.

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace
Dalal said:
I don't understand exactly what you are saying. I'm talking about using it on normal people. I mean it is possible to use in an actual tournament because you don't have to unplug the controller or anyting. And it's not just to appear skilled, it's because it improves the consistency and efficiency of the waveshine combo.
but makes everything else awkward.

not sure if tourneys would actually allow this, either, if they knew you were using it.

Silver Fox

Smash Apprentice
If I was about to do this infinite combo on marth, would it only require the length of one wave dash to him and keep doing it, and then to get behind him and do it the other way, or do you have to run a bit to get into reflector range again.

I just wan't to make sure.

yoshii

Smash Ace
i dont think the fox infinite shine matters too much. Can anyone really say they can use it in a tournament when it counts. yeah, pepole might be able to use it when they practice over and over in training, but I want to know of someone who can do it consistantly and win tournaments with it.

Drab Emordnilap

Palindrome Bard
BRoomer
If you happen to be using a Wavebird in a tourney (which is dumb, I know), you can just torn the controller off and back on to reset the sticks and such. Faster than holding the buttons for 3 seconds, anyways.

Silver Fox

Smash Apprentice
I think it is easier to use a normall controller, but I don't think that it will clinch the match for you even if you can do it and its legal, and If your someone like fox or falco then you don't have to worry cause it will knowck you down, I guess it is an impressive skill though.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Hey, I never knew this until now, and I'm a Falco player, does it work with him? I'll try anyways sometime, and test it myself, but even to know for a Fox player that's awesome. Thanks for the info.

Ijuka

Smash Ace
yoshii said:
i dont think the fox infinite shine matters too much. Can anyone really say they can use it in a tournament when it counts. yeah, pepole might be able to use it when they practice over and over in training, but I want to know of someone who can do it consistantly and win tournaments with it.
Memememe ^___^

And afaik, people like MoF etcetc <.<

SNKE

Smash Journeyman
LOL that's pretty hilarious, its a good way to show off
I can do the waveshine combo pretty well, but I wanna see if this will make it any easier/fun
good ingenuity Dalal

Tyson651

Smash Lord
if u left the control stick in neutral position after doing the handicap modification, wouldnt it make u crouch all the time?

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
If it's not, it should be illegal.
You're modifying the controller and creating a handicap, as the thread says.
I can see this being abused horribly if it isn't already being done.

noob-lube69

Smash Journeyman
InfernoOmni said:
If it's not, it should be illegal.
You're modifying the controller and creating a handicap, as the thread says.
I can see this being abused horribly if it isn't already being done.
I doubt anyone would try to use this to cheat in a tourney, but who knows. It would probably backfire on since changing your controller's neutral position affect so many aspects of play.

Meteor!

Smash Journeyman
noob-lube69 said:
I doubt anyone would try to use this to cheat in a tourney, but who knows. It would probably backfire on since changing your controller's neutral position affect so many aspects of play.
Yea, I can't see that being helpful. You do need to use more than one move.

PyroJet

Smash Apprentice
I don't see how this is helpful man... All it is doing for me is making my char crouch and cutting down the WD length to 1/4 of what I can usually do... Am I doing it wrong?

theFalcoMasta

Smash Apprentice
PyroJet what you are doing wrong is you're not attempting a horizontal wavedash. If you attempt it normally you will be hampered.

Dalal, congradulations for finding this, but to put it frankly, this technique should be considered as "cheating" The results are drastic, and you are given a definitive advantage over an opponent who does not use the resetting technique.

Full waveshines become a joke after this. The trick is potent but unfortunately unfair.

You can always use it in friendly matches but in tournament I would consider this to be a form of cheating. Nevertheless congradulations for finding it though.

TemplarPsi

Smash Ace
yea well its kinda cool, but id rather take the time to master it :D, plus i like the game to take time to master infinite shine :D

Shine It

Smash Rookie
It's good for playing casually, but I dont see that working in a tourney at all.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
So if you were to use this trick, you'd only have to push X, L/R, and B to do a waveshine?

infilade

Smash Apprentice
yoshii said:
doesnt matter to much? nothing matters too much in melee... everything, from wavedashing, to l cancelling, to DI, doesnt matter to much. you can still win matches without using any of those techniques. but when you DO learn them, such as with the fox infinate shine, it opens up a whole wider variety of tricks you can do with fox. i myself can easily waveshine a shiek or falcon off the stage, and shine them off. you just need to learn how to INTEGRATE, INTEGRATE, INTEGRATE! it doesnt matter if you can do it, you need to learn how to integrate it into your play.

and as for this actual controller trick.... why? if you know how to wavedash proficiently with fox (which all good fox players should be able to do, and if you dont you should learn it), waveshining is just as easy as wavedashing. it is just handicapping you from becoming faster. instead of using this trick to mess around with your friends, mess around with your friends and actually try to do one in a match. even if you look incredibly stupid for trying it out, you can only get better the more times you do it. my advice is just to stop using little controller tricks, and just keep trying the actual way.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
I rather giving a smash attack to end the WS combo or a jab,SHFFL'd drill to keep on comboing.

And ya'll know of course that your opponent can DI out of it.
That's why I just WS like 3 times and end with an UP-smash or to change the routine I costumize the combo with the options I posted on the 1st sentence.

.........later

Shine It

Smash Rookie
Lixivium said:
So if you were to use this trick, you'd only have to push X, L/R, and B to do a waveshine?
Basically yeah. It's not as easy at it souns, so you would have to practice it for a while before you could use it regularly and effectively. Like I said it's a good move, but its not tournament worthy.

Sine it is part of the 'wave series' you cold easily get out of it if you mess up...

Persoanally i say you just use Falco

CO_Eagle

Smash Rookie
I have a question. Won't using this trick make it harder for you to do it in a situation where you can't use the trick, like a tournament for example? Cause i'm trying to learn how to infinite with fox and I don't wanna have to rely on this trick.

Top Bottom