• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I <3 Bombs (The Indepth Guide to Bombs)

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Hiya Folks, This Thread is about Samus' bombs, and her bomb form; kind of a tutorial/discussion thread if you will, and don't confuse this with a Samus tutorial because it isn't one, can't stress that enough. I think the Aftermath Samus Guide is a great guide to Samus, another isn't needed, at least on the boards.

-1. Late updated/Version info

v0.5 11-12-05 First half of the guide completed.
v0.6 11-15-05 Edited Introduction Section; Added Table of Contents and Bombs Defined sections; Fixed errors.
v0.7 12-13-05 Added to “Bomb Catching” section; Completed Bombs Defined Section; Fixed errors.
V0.8 5-14-05 Big fix on grammar and spelling, started Offensive and Defensive sections, also added to the several sections. First major update in 5 months!

====================

0. Table of Contents

1. Introduction - About me and why I'm doing this.
2. Pros and Cons of Bombs - The... Pros... and Cons... of using bombs?
3. Bombs Defined - What make Samus' bombs tick...
4. Basic Maneuvers - Maneuvers using A bomb and directional Input, The basics
5. "Bomb Catching" - Being in your bombs blast radius when it explodes... while in the air. Yeah.
6. Advanced Maneuvers - More Advanced way to move Samus using bombs
7. Offensive Bombs - How and when to attack efectively using bombs
8. Defensive Bombs - How to plan and act out a defense using bombs
9. Stupid Crap - Mostly taunts and eye tricks that would other wise wouldn't affect the game.
10. Thanks - The people I owe one... or two.
11. Contact - Need to contact me off of this thread? This is where you get the info to do so.

==================

1. Introduction
I am LessThanThree, I've been playing Smash for about two point five years; played Sam as my main for a little over a year and a half. I'm from a small town in CT where smash is low on the list of other kids’ priorities. I met one kid though in school, I found out he lived just about a half mile down the street from me. He and his younger brother were the only people I played for about a year.
We ripped that game apart, finding out all we could just from experimenting and playing. I eventually chose Samus (Mostly due to a well timed combination of Prime and Super Metroid) I made a effort to perfect her breaking down every move into more of a rhythm. Bombs I found kept that rhythm going, and completely stopped my friend's, So I put most of my effort into those, making them as perfect as I could.
4 hours a day every weekday, 6+ when ever both our weekends were free. Then the impossible happened... That jerk went to Japan; he was accepted as a foreign exchange student leaving me with no one to improve my skill against. I was forced to play... the computer (Who can actually beat me all the sudden, hahaha). The few people I did play... well weren't very good. So... I started playing myself; the moves had become so natural for me that I don't need a TV to see them. So I'd... I'm strange huh? hahaha, Lets get more to the point eh? This isn't about me it’s about bombs.

I'm not known at all in the smash community out side of a few people here at smash boards. And to tell the truth I don't consider myself good at all. I have so much to learn. But there is one thing I know... I've developed my own play style completely different from the great Samuses you see out there today. Simply because I've had to teach myself, I never had (or really cared much about) videos and such so my Sam was created entirely though my own playing and experimenting.
But as I did gain access to more videos I realized... "Wow, they don't use bomb any where near as much as I do."
I mean don't get me wrong I don't constantly use bombs, that's foolish, its like playing Fox and expecting someone to run off the stage because you jump cancel a shine, but I do use bombs when ever I can, they offer great mind games and force openings, and that's what Sam is all about, or at least in my play style she is.
These videos also made me ask myself "Are bombs that... worthless?"

I found out the answers to many questions while trying to find out this one. I share with you guys all of it.

====================

2. Pros and Cons of Bombs

The main argument against heavily using bombs that I've heard are 1; vulnerability, and 2; predictability

For nearly a second while you are in morph ball from you are completely open to attack, except from, on some occasions, the front (or rather the direction opposite of your DI after you drop the bomb) And even then most characters can shfflc through them. There is almost always a way to get to Samus when she is in morph ball form. I counter this by with timing and placement, something every great smash player mush have. There is a time and place for everything; when the opponent is breathing down your neck probably isn't the best time or place for a bomb.
The second I don't understand at all though; while Samus is in her morph ball she is more maneuverable than jigs, and her range of attacks are more devastating. With new techniques like the SWD and older ones like the bomb-cancelled grapple I don't know how this argument even stands up.

Through my studies I've found these to be the most important pros and cons of bombs and Samus' morph ball form

Pros:
-Bombs cancel many attacks leaving opponents wide opponent to a follow up
-If hit with directly Bombs can help set up the opponent for a grab or an aerial
-While in morph ball form Samus can turn on a dime.
-In morph ball form Samus is a smaller target but still maintains her weight
-while caught in one of her own bomb's blast radius Samus get all the plus' of morph ball form and she can cancel it at anytime with an aerial, jump, grapple beam, or any B move.
-A great defensive weapon.
-it takes about 1.5ish seconds for a bomb to explode

Cons:
-Samus is completely open to most attacks for about 1 second
-it takes about 1.5 seconds for a bomb to explode, guess that's a con as well

====================

2. Why use bombs?

I want it to be understood that this guide is not a how to play Samus guide, if you use only "bomb techniques" (I guess I'll call them that...) you won't win against any decent player, period. I use bombs much like I do my missiles, to get people in to a position where I have the advantage whether that be in the air, using a second jump, dodging, etc. When used well bombs can manipulate you're opponent from across the stage, force an advance or a retreat, or even some thing as simple as a seconds worth of uninterrupted charge time. Samus bombs are (well maybe I'm exaggerating a bit here) a world of unexplored possibilities. Bombs are great tools and are just as good as missiles if not better. I'm out to prove that with this guide.

=====================

3. Bombs Defined.

Quoted from SuperDoodleMan said:
Bomb

Total: 53
Bomb appears: 10
Bomb exists: 73 frames, then boom
Bomb does damage for 11 frames
Cancel by crouching: 46>

--Bombjumping--
Completely interruptible: frame 2

--Increased Mobility--
Air: all of both bombing and bombjump
ground bombing: 1-42
ground bombjump: 1-48
Get all that?

MorphBall Form:
While in this form you can change direction instantly but cannot attack at all for 53 frames, or a little over 5/6th of a second. Keep this in mind.

Bomb Jump Form:
While in this form the same physics of the MorphBall apply. But you can interrupt this form as soon as you enter it with any attack.

Bombs:
Bombs do 8% damage the first hit a slowly decrease over time as your opponent hits them. They stop all projectile attacks excluding the fully Charged Beam, Shadow Ball or both Link and Young Link’s arrows. The explosion’s hit box is out for about a 6th of a second, which isn’t bad at all.

=====================

4. Basic Maneuvers

Okay, now I'd like to get into are simple maneuvers with the bomb. These require only a bomb and proper DI.

The "Delayed short hop" or DSH
How to do it?:
Drop a bomb stand in desired spot.
Description:
As we all know Samus' short hop shouldn't be called one, its well above the height of her own head, so... the moves we will use can normally be predicted by the approaching player. With the aid of a bomb, Samus can achieve a more 'traditional' short hop... its... just at that cost of about 2 seconds.
Please note there are generally three different heights for this.
-The first, standing completely still after dropping a bomb sends you about the same height as Samus normal short hop.
-The second standing, with one foot on the bomb get you a height about 5/6th Samus's normal short hop.
-And the Third, when you are not actually touching the bomb but are still affected by its blast radius, which gets you about half the height of Sam's normal short hop...
Usefulness?:
Mm... depends, obviously alone, it is completely lacking, but if used well with mind games will catch any player off guard. There are so many possibilities once you are off the ground that it makes an approach, from the opponents' point of view scary after a few showings of what it can do. I also like to chase people off the stage with this, you get more height then running off, but less than jumping, it’s also useful for a fake into a ledge grab.

The "Instant short hop" or ISH
How to do it?:
Drop a bomb on environmental objects (like shyguys on yoshi’s story), your opponent, or their attack or projectile, while still in the bomb's blast radius.
Description:
Yep, its as hard as it sounds, but if you can get it down, it sets up for attacks beautifully, in most cases it will stun the opponent long enough for a follow up fast falled sex kick, fair or dair, You can also DI away and attack with your charge beam or missiles (don't ignore the homing missile either at the range we are talking it hits you opponent at the same time as a super missile, but leaves them open for a grab, a nice smash and more damage). If it’s shielded you can DI away from your opponent easily, and though it can cancel some attacks, many attacks can punish you for even thinking about it. (Gannon's fair and uair, Marth's... everything etc.) Unless perfectly positioned most times it’s just not worth the risk.
I also want to point out you can use this to recover, when people a throw items at you while off the stage f you can get the positioning right you can ISH off of the item, this take a lot of effort to get down consistently and of course it’s always dependant on where you are in comparison to the item.
And of course you can also perform a sudo-wavedash out of this with this when closer to the ground but I’ll go into more detail in this later.
Usefulness?:
Mmm... again depends, in most cases it best not to approach with this in mind because its very circumstantial, and after a while becomes very easy to see coming and guard against. You want to use this on a downed opponent, a recovered opponent (just landed a dodge or third jump), or a laggy one. Keep in mind this boils down to mind games, its something you want to make your opponent think you'll do, but not always something you always want to do. Like I said in most cases there are much better options.

Morph Ball Maneuvering:
How to do it?:
Simple... pick a direction and push.
Description:
At any point while Samus is in morph ball form she can change direction instantly, This even applies while on the ground (I think this is where the SWD come from in fact)
Usefulness?:
Every time you are in morph ball form this feature shines, its a major contributor in what makes the DSH and ISH so powerful as a tool for mind games, it makes you very hard to predict.

Bomb to Ledge Grab:
How to do it?:
When in morph ball from and facing toward the stage land directly on the edge of the stage and DI off. The easiest way to do it is measure about two Samuses on the stage drop a bomb and DI all the way to the edge; it should be obvious if done right, but please not this isn’t the only way you can DI back and forth so that you land directly on the edge from anywhere in between the “two Samus point” and the tip of the stage.
Description:
Something I've never seen anyone else do before, but I'm sure not with out reason. The move can put you in a bad position if not used at the right time, and that good time doesn't pop up too often.
Usefulness?:
Depends on how much you like Samus' edge game. I like it a lot against some characters, and as a mind game for others, so I use this move semi often, the bomb provides sort of a speed bump for an approaching opponent. It’s very hard to do anything against so you can use it with out to much fear of punishment, just have to figure out how you want to get up from the ledge. You could use this to edge hog I guess, but its better to wavedash off, it’s faster.

Slow Fall:
How to do it?”
While off the stage drop Bombs while DIing towards it.
Description:
The more I watch other Samuses the more I realize how little this is done. I kind of took it for granted. This greatly slows your falling speed when recovering in turn give you more horizontal distance than just DIing towards the stage alone. While of course you don’t get as much distance as the bomb jump you do approach the stage much faster.
Usefulness?:
Big, when ever I’m recovering high I use this because as we all know while you are off the stage you take damage and everyone knows damage isn’t fun! Only use it if you know you can get to the stage doing it or you know that you can eventually transfer into the bomb jump.
This means also you aren’t relying in the on the bomb you’ve dropped so if it is detonated early you don’t lose anything.

======================

5. "Bomb Catching":
Having Samus in a bomb's blast radius while she is still in the air.
Got that? There are tons of ways to do this some more practical than others, but I'll go over all of them, or rather all I know.

Bomb Jump:
The most basic, and most used; while in the air you drop a bomb, then once you get out of bomb form (takes about a second) drop another bomb. You have a small window to do this though. Tapping b while holding down is the easiest way to do it.
Usefulness?:
Greatly increases horizontal distance when recovering.

Bomb-cancelled grapple:
How to do it?:
I think that's what it's called. as far as I know this is the most popular way to do a bomb catch (aside from bomb jumping). You drop a bomb, jump, (if you aren't in the air already) dodge toward the bomb so that you will be in it's blast radius, then use your grapple beam.
Usefulness?:
When I first discovered this I thought of it only as a silly useless mind game but after seeing Pure Nastiness I quickly changed my mind. While on the stage I still prefer to simply wait for my bomb to explode, I'll walk, run or wave dash towards it, but off the stage is where this technique shines most, because its the one of two possible way to get to a bomb when you are in the air, with nothing around you to interact with. (aside from dropping another bomb and "jump to bomb catch") making you able to use the DHS off the stage. But note it does get rid of your grapple beam until you land on the stage again, also note it doesn't get rid of your second jump if you haven't used it yet unlike the jump to bomb catch.

Ledge Catch:
How to do it?:
You have to be near the edge of a platform or the edge of the stage. jump off and before you start to fall drop a bomb, DI back towards the stage the run off of it to catch the bomb...
Usefulness?:
Mmm... not much, its a way to get lower than you can with the DSH and throw in a bair or nair with out using two of your jumps (Running off the stage and jumping back up to it) but it takes a whole 2 seconds to set up and is painfully obvious... but on the other hand you don't HAVE to catch the bomb at all. It’s useful in very few situations, and can become an... okay mind game. I'll use this on occasion when I know my opponent can't get back just to let him know I can do it and give them one more thing to think about aside from that... not much reason to consider using it.
Oh, and just use utilt or a normal aireal to edge guard again this takes too long to set up, in most cases.

Ground Catch:
How to do it?:
You have to be near the edge of a platform or the edge of the stage. You drop a bomb and DI off what ever you were on, once you are out of morph ball form jump back up towards the bomb it should detonate before you land.
Usefulness?:
Mm... a little more than the Ledge catch, it's actually can be used in a heated fight, but not much as it some what predictable... (Heh, somewhat) I like to drop the bomb and DI off and come back on the stage with fair, it has great range and you actually don't catch the bomb when you do this which leaves you much less open, or not come back at all and just sweet spot the ledge with my second jump.
Be careful who you want to use this against though, the bomb will stop most attacks that will put you in danger but not all. Again this is more of an attack you just want your opponent to know you can do, something to keep them guessing.

Through Catch:
How to do it?:
You have to be on a platform you can pass through for this one, drop a bomb, land, pass through the platform jump into the bomb's blast radius before it explodes.
Usefulness?:
Fair... I mean it might as well be the DHS. You are less open except to characters like Marth and Roy who can hit you through the platform, think of it as a DSH where you want that limited protection from above instead of the left or right.

Double Bomb Jump:
How to do it?:
I've never seen this done before or used... very shocking. Anyway, you bomb jump without going in any direction, then fast fall to the second bomb.
Usefulness?:
Mmm... well it cuts out a potential bomb jump, but is faster and harder for you're enemies to stop with their projectiles. Its intent is not as much for recovery though.... Just another bomb mind game it definitely makes projectile users think more when you are coming back just because you could do it (although... all they have to do it hit that first bomb and you are screwed anyway) It also works when you want to trick others into attacking; when you're coming back high, do it by the ledge catch the second bomb, and DI over the would be attacker this works a few times....

Double Bomb jump basic idea:
Lines Are space traveled by Samus 'o's are where she catches a bomb, x is a dropped bomb
x
|
|
xo
|
|
o

compared to the single bomb jump
.....x
.....|
.....|
__xo

And.... Max horizontal Double Bomb Jump
.......__x
...../
....|
.....x__o
...../
....|
....o

Triple Bomb Jump
How to do it?:
You simply do a normal bomb jump, and as soon as you get hit by the first bomb you drop another, you should enter the second bombs blast radius. You can continue this pattern until you die.
Usefulness?:
Has am affect similar to the Double bomb jump; throws off opponents, and stall for time, maybe giving you a chance to think. It’s much easier to pull of than the double short hop as well.

Jump to Bomb Catch: (Nice simple name I think)
How to do it?:
While high enough in the air drop a bomb, jump into its blast radius just before it explodes
Usefulness?:
Mmm... situational... the First few times its an okay way to getting you're opponent to screw up their edge guard, but by the second time they should expect it and know how to counter you can fake it though, drop the bomb jump, early, jump late, etc. to mix it up some also keep in mind you do loose altitude. Its basically another one of Samus' many ways to stall in the air.

================

6. Advanced Maneuvering

Jump Stopping
How to do it?:
If you drop a bomb during your jump you will cancel the jump at that point.
Usefulness?:
Mmm... Samus' jump is so slow this really has no affect I guess if you are lucky you can trick someone above you into attacking but again Samus jump is so slow they will definitely see it coming...
You can however just use this if you change you mind about jumping after you already have, or just to have a bomb bounce higher and hinder you opponents approach further, something I do very often.

Double Short Hop
How to do it?:
Drop one bomb the immediately drop the other, enter the first bombs blast radius, then the second.
Usefulness?:
I love this, and try to set it up when ever I can. You can pull off one attacks while in the air from the first bomb, then fast fall to the other to cancel the attack animation and launch yourself in the air again. Its very useful for potential damage racking and knock back, but often times there are easier and more practical ways to accomplish the same goals. Keep in mind you never need to actually go into this move once you set it up, just something to make your opponent keep guessing what’s next.

Flame Sit
How to do it?:
Drop bombs so one on top of the other so that when the previous one explodes you are out of the blast radius
Usefulness?:
Useful only as a mind game, you can wait for a DSH, DI out and rush back in for the DHS, change up the timing for a double short hop, SWD, or just rush the opponent and attack. In short, its just a way to make the opponent think twice before they advance.

High Short Hop
How to do it?:
Drop a bomb, and jump just before it explodes so you aren’t touching it but are above it.
Usefulness?:
Mmm... not much truthfully, it gets you very high in the air between Samus' normal short hop and her max jump height. Its could be used a few times to surprise your opponent and come at him from the air but it becomes obvious... and there isn't much you can do out of it. Overall with the time it takes to set up and how limited your choices are afterward, its not worth it most of the time.

Flame Sit to High Short Hop
(I first did this while playing around with the flame sit, that's where it got its name...)
You drop a bomb the almost the instant before it explodes you drop another, you should be just inside the first bombs explosion, and you'll go about the height of the high short jump.
Tip: Watch the bomb you dropped, when it bounces twice drop another bomb.
Usefulness?:
Much more useful than the High Short jump, you can shoot a missile or charge beam while in the air from the first bomb and fast fall to the ground (canceling the attack animation) and into the next explosion, you can also chain this technique... (with missiles only)If you are a god when it comes to timing things out. This does take tons of practice and might be worth it for a fancy mind game, but it is fun to watch and do.
Note: when chaining this It shoots a smidge slower than standing on the ground and spamming, so if you are going for speed... learn the shffmc first, hahaha

Constant Short Hop
There are three ways to do this.
1. Drop bombs 3 bombs as fast as you can then start timing the drops so that you just enter the previously dropped bombs blast radius, fast falling may be need to make it on some occasions.
Usefulness?:
This way has the same affect as the Flame sit on opponents but allows you more maneuvering power at the cost of it being a bit harder to keep going. I personally perfer the flame sit for mind game purposes simply because its easier, your attention is still on the opponent instead of when to fast fall, but if you can keep an eye on both you and the enemy this probably the better of the two you can quickly advance or retreat depending on the situation, it makes an approach for melee characters a bit more tricky.
2. Perform the flame sit to high short hop, drop a bomb while you are in the blast radius of the later one.
Usefulness?:
Easier to keep going that the first way IMO, but not as useful, it does keep you high in the air so if you can use that to you advantage good luck, you can also change this in to the third way
3. Perform the flame sit to high short hop, fast fall to the ground and repeat.
Usefulness?:
I went in depth earlier about what good can come out of it. I've never seen it done so it might be something your opponent wouldn't expect.

Random Short Hop
How to do it?:
Simply dash dance in and out of a bombs blast radius
Usefulness?:
Just used as a mind game, you'll know if you are going to DSH but you're opponent won't (for the most part when you hold the control stick towards the bomb when it explodes you'll get caught, away, you won't)

Super Wave Dash
How to do it?:
Everyone's favorite thing to do with Samus, very few can consistently do this though. To do it you drop a bomb, once you land slam in the direction opposite the way to want to go, then the other, the way you do want to go. You have only one chance to do it, or a one frame window rather, the 41st frame is where you start the 42nd is the ending point. God... this move sucks to explain...

Heres what SuperDoodleMan says on the subject...
Quoted from SuperDoodleMan said:
--SUPER WAVEDASH--
You must be holding left or right on
frame 41, then the opposite on frame
42. If you tilt the stick less than
all the way on 42, you get less
distance, but for 41, any amount is
the same.
Usefulness?:
Very useful once you get to the point where it’s natural and on call when ever you need it, aside from that though it’s more of a liability and is something you just shouldn't count on in a serious match. If you aren't very confident in it uses it once or twice while your opponent is coming back just to let them know of yet another possibility.

=====================

7. Offensive Bombs

Wavebombing
How to do it?:
Drop a bomb on your opponent (ISH) an soon as it detonated dodge toward the center of your opponent and drop another bomb, repeat this process.
Description:
If done correctly there should be and almost constant ball of flame around you and your opponent.
Usefulness?:
Unfortunately this is one attack I can’t give you full an acurate review of, my wavebomb is very ugly and inconsistent, I have trouble timing the dodges and always end up in the air too long…
From how I see the move it’s great for killing shield quickly, I believe (but am not certain) that you can do it fast enough to keep you opponent in their shield against their will…
On this same not it’s great for raking damage but can be DIed out of after a short time.
(We’ll have to ask Jasona for more info on this one)

Jab to DHS
How to do it?:
Drop a bomb the jab, if you crouch cancel the landing you can DI away and wave dash back toward the bomb while jabbing.
Description:
It looks very simple and is, but it’s a great way to ensure a safer DHS
Usefulness?:
A basic little move that is actually quite effective, since Sam’s neutral a is purty decent priority as far a land attacks go this is a good way to defend while waiting for the DHS. It is also very effective as an attack to stall for time, this is something that can be used often with out too much fear of punishment, and after the jab you can always wavedash away from the bomb if you don’t want to DHS.

-more to come-

8. Defensive Bombs

Bomb Out of Shield
How to do it?:
Jump cancel your shield and immediately bomb.
Description:
You should drop a bomb about the height would while standing.
Usefulness?:
Tons I think, it’s a great buffer after an attack has landed but has pushed you or the opponent away, and a great way to start up a little combo after a failed aerial. A very simple little trick but sweet and effective; do note however an UpB out of your shield has more range.

-more to come-

9. Stupid crap

-more later-

==================

10. Thanks

Thanks for the time and effort you, the reader, put into reading this. ( I know it had to be a struggle with my horrible grammar) I'd like to thank the Samus users here on the boards, a lot of great ideas and concepts have come from you guys and what I've seen you do. Also thanks to Maelstrom for helping me out with mis-uesed terms.
Big Thanks to SuperDoodleMan for the much needed frame data.

==================

11. Contact

You can contact me with comments, questions, things of that nature here. LessThan3.wish@gmail.com
Or~ post here... since this is a forum

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
NOTICE:

Meh... This thred is getting skipped by everyone who takes a peak at it which means, I'm doing something wrong... SO~ no I'm revamping the portion I have up making it a bit more concice. each "Technique" will have simplely

Instructions
Description
When Do I use this

It should be up some time before the end of the day. This also means I'll be checking the grammar over agian cuz... I know it must be horrible. Thanks for you time guys; hope this crap helps your samus.

noob-lube69

Smash Journeyman
One hell of a post, man. I recently picked up samus and her bombs are by far my favorite thing about her. Good job man, and I look forward to reading through your updated sections.

ac_anon

Smash Ace
nice post but how could you forget about taunt canceling? (i think, i didnt see it) Its obviously a vital part of Samus's game lol

great guide anyway

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Excellent post overall; it's nice to finally see a comprehensive bomb section considering that Samus' bombs are so ridiculously versatile.

Just three things that I wanted to add: what you termed as "Beam-Cancelling" is actually the wrong name; Beam-Cancelling involves using the grapple beam during recovery to grab the stage and immediately airdodge up while doing so; this will make the grapple beam snap and launch you vertically upwards in a tumbling state. What you described is usually termed as "Bomb-Cancelled Grapple."

The second thing that I was hoping to see (but didn't) was the ability to airdodge directly out of a "instant short hop" (what I usually call point-blank bomb). B/c you're essentially jumping from the explosion, you can do anything usually associated w/jumping, and in this case, it includes airdodging/wavedash. If you're lucky enough to hit your opponent w/a point-blank bomb, you can wavedash out of it into a f-smash/d-smash for example, or wavedash into another point-blank bomb, which is called "wavebombing." Ask Jasona about wavebombing as he's the guy who discovered it; I haven't seen him around recently though.

Finally, I was surprised that you didn't talk about Pillar of Fire. . .it's more of a novel thing than a useful tactic, but it's still worth mentioning.

Otherwise, you've got great stuff here. Kudos to you.

Abhorsen

Smash Cadet
Mad guide. Some of those things I didnt really know of yet but most I did through own experiences. Some things have helped me here but you need a more detailed SWD guide yet I have found it very difficult to explain too.

Nice Work :)

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Wow... Thanks guys. I know of wave bombing, pillar of fire, taunt cancel etc. (Bombs are such a large part of my game -___- so much that its a weakness) I'm just planing on putting those in a smidge later, in the offencive, defencive, stupid crap areas, simply because the are combonations used more in attacking more so than basic movements.
One thing I did get wrong (which was pointed out by Maelstrom) is the beam canceling and bomb canceling mix up. I'll fix that now.

Sadly I have bad news... My gamecube games were just stolen out of my appartment -___- I normally just check things in game before a post to be sure. I lack that ability now (and will untill twilight princes comes out...) So I will be working from memory which is slightly less acurate but... its better than nothing right.

Things to expect next up date:

-A table of Contents
-A new Introduction section
-A better laid out guide. (Easier to understand)
-Bomb facts (damage, cancelable animations, ect. (Grr... no frame or time data due to lack of cube, sorry guys -___-))
-Completed Offensive, Defencive, and "Stupid Crap" Guides

Expect a big update in the in the comming days. And thanks agian for all the nice comments guys.

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Can you please change Super Metriod to Super Metroid in your intro too? Sorry if I sound mean or w/e, halfway though the guide, good so far, I will finish later.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Lanowen said:
Can you please change Super Metriod to Super Metroid in your intro too? Sorry if I sound mean or w/e, halfway though the guide, good so far, I will finish later.
Thanks dude, can't wait to hear what you think, and... this reminds me; if you see any errors please tell me.

SuperDoodleMan

Smash Ace
You didn't mention the possibility of dropping a bomb over the edge then grabbing the edge. At least I don't think you did. It's not hard to do after a little practice. I dunno how practical it is, but it seems situationally useful.

About the double bomb jump. Doing an attack to interrupt the first bomb jump allows you to fastfall as soon as you start falling, as opposed to falling at regular speed in the bomb jump animation.

Also, about the SWD. Using Samus' landing as a reference point isn't necessarily the best way to learn to SWD, since frames 41 and 42 come at the same time no matter when you use the bomb. In fact, when Samus shoulders are just barely above the lower Battlefield platforms, and anytime lower than that, you can SWD. This is of course totally useless, as even pros only ever SWD from a standing bomb. Still, this guide has everything else, why not needlessly difficult maneuvers as well?

Speaking of needlessly difficult, reading this guide motivated me to fill in the holes in my frame data concerning Samus' Bomb. Here it is in its entirety:

Bomb

Bomb appears: 10
Bomb exists: 73 frames, then boom
Bomb does damage for 11 frames
Cancel by crouching: 46>

--Bombjumping--
Completely interruptible: frame 2

--Increased Mobility--
Air: all of both bombing and bombjump
ground bombing: 1-42
ground bombjump: 1-48

--SUPER WAVEDASH--
You must be holding left or right on
frame 41, then the opposite on frame
42. If you tilt the stick less than
all the way on 42, you get less
distance, but for 41, any amount is
the same.
-----------------------------------

The big thing I noticed that nobody else seems to is that the bomb dropping animation can be cancelled with a crouch as early as frame 46. This means you can do anything from a crouch on frame 47, a whole 7 frames earlier than if you waited out the rest of the animation.

Again, I dunno how practical this is, but it seems interesting to me.

Fantastic guide, though. This move deserves it.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Wow, Thanks a hell of alot man. This has seriously turned my bad day into a good one.

You didn't mention the possibility of dropping a bomb over the edge then grabbing the edge. At least I don't think you did. It's not hard to do after a little practice. I dunno how practical it is, but it seems situationally useful.
You are right... forgot all about this... I haven't used it in... ages. It leaves you more open than anything you'd be completely vulerable above most characters head hieght if I'm right. A very situational move thats more for show than anything, since most good players will realize it as a weakness. I'll post this though.

About the double bomb jump. Doing an attack to interrupt the first bomb jump allows you to fastfall as soon as you start falling, as opposed to falling at regular speed in the bomb jump animation.
Some how... I just never realized this. I was actually playing around with this move alot (Just before my cube was swiped <.<) I realized it was alot hard to pull off than the way I explained it, you could only connect with the second bomb if you waited a time before actually droping it, but by simpily using say a sex kick to cancel the morphball from you can fast fall sooner into the bomb. Great find DoodleMan, would of took me ages to realize this.

The big thing I noticed that nobody else seems to is that the bomb dropping animation can be cancelled with a crouch as early as frame 46. This means you can do anything from a crouch on frame 47, a whole 7 frames earlier than if you waited out the rest of the animation.
I... think I do this all the time, but... since I rarely attack after laying a bomb I don't get much benifit from it. Definitly a great find I'll put this in next up date as well.

Thanks agian for the help and undeserved praise. It really means alot.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
drop a bomb, then taunt the explosion will cancel the taunt animation I'm assuming thats what people ment. I just wish she did the taunty samus grunt thing... oh well.

ac_anon

Smash Ace
taunt canceling isnt really useful but taunt canceling to a chargeshot or missile can be funny, wont work against anybody who is any good though

Treeko

Smash Journeyman
I am Treeko, and I approve of this thread.

Seriously, this should be stickied, is full of rather useful information.

tenyearwarranty

Smash Apprentice
Another bomb tech I've been trying to impliment is that ball roll you get after you drop the bomb.

-What you do is, jump into a platform
-Drop a bomb, but theres a part where when you drop the bomb and don't "hop" up from dropping it and instead roll when you drop the bomb
-You roll off the platform in ball mode
-As you roll off you jump back into the bomb, setting you up for an unexpected sex kick, charged blast, a boost that allows you to Missile cancel onto a higher platform (Yoshi's island) etc.

I like using it for mind games, but maybe theres more I could do with it. Anways, just letting you know about this tech. I call it the "Platform Roll" as cheezy as it sounds I have yet to come up with a better name.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Ah hah, I know of this, Mmm I guess it is useful for mind games, but it leaves you very open. The bomb goes through the platform while you are left open, it can only mess with others minds so much before they realize. Nice find I'll had it under the name you've given it "Platform Roll" I'll credit it to you as well. nice find.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
he doesn't always drop the bomb through the platform, he drops it ON the platform and jsut rolls right off and does whatever attack he needs, normally INTO the bomb he just dropped setting you up for yet ANOTHER attack. I hate you tenyearwarranty... ;)

I'll try and get a vid of his bombs up soon enough.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Gimpyfish62 said:
he doesn't always drop the bomb through the platform, he drops it ON the platform and jsut rolls right off and does whatever attack he needs, normally INTO the bomb he just dropped setting you up for yet ANOTHER attack. I hate you tenyearwarranty... ;)

I'll try and get a vid of his bombs up soon enough.
No, you are wrong... She (Samus) always drops the bomb on the platform. Wish I could test these things out. It still lacks potential as a defensive movement in my idea. you loose you vertical movement and get only horizontal, after so many times characters will just attack you from underneath the platform. It is still useful though as a mind game once and a while...
(Jeeze I hope I'm right on what I'm saying, I mean I can't test it now, but don't bombs rise a bit after they are dropped?...)

In any case expect an update in the near future I'm getting office in a few days, should speed things up conciderably. Thanks for the coments, input and corrections, keep em coming. ^^

P.S.
What ten year warenty?...

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
you can drop it under.. he does it under every so often lol its a pretty nice tactic, i wish we had recorded our matches today we had some good ones...

tenyearwarranty is the best samus in hawaii (comparable to skypal, whom i have also played, IMO)

But i'll play skypal htis weekend so i'll see if my comparison makes sense! ;)

EDIT: i think i misread your question, dont mind me o.O

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Wow.. I suck at life, I'll test this out next time I'm over my friends house... (Aww... I miss my cube...)

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
I'll try and get a video for you by later today (if you have aim care to PM it to me, a lot of this would be better discussed with few people then posted in useful posts rather than in little disagreements)

co_and_me

Smash Lord
Um maybe I am retarted but bombs dont cancle arial attacks? I mean sure you can drop the bomb and DI off the platform. Yet if you sex kick into the bomb the explosion doesnt reset you. Maybe your saying that your land on the platform then the bomb hits you? Alot of your guide I dont find very useful. I mean there are the mind games invovled but it seams like so much of it is common sense. The things I got out of it were the bomb jump then FF into the second bomb. I had thought of this and tried it but never was succesful. Course I didnt trying it much cause I didnt find it very useful. But I see how recovery can change which is good. Plus against sheik you want to recover low and the needles wont screw up the second bomb but the first. Also (if you want to combine missles and bombs) you can use the "double short hop" with missles. I belive its easiest to lay the first bomb then DI foward. then laying the second one DI back to the first. Yet you only want to hit the out side. Once the first explosion goes off missle and DI to the second bomb. IT will explode and you can missle again. Then I think its fun to double missle after that. there is 4 missles and the first three get a little higher each time and the fourth is low. anyway I feel that there are so many options you can ever write them all down. Part of this game is comming up with your own stuff. Sure some of the technical stuff like beam cancle (bomb cancled grab as you called it) should be noted. But I think stuff like jumping from a bomb should be figured out. I mean hell if you want to get every combination in there interupt your SWD with a bomb. Bomb DI away from it then SWD into the explosion. Sure is it really difficult and almost pointless no because it has mind game aplication. I think this guide could be useful if you cut the fat and added better stuff. I mean what about bomb to stop someone from grabing the ledge. SH then bomb over the ledge it will fall where they will need to grab then uptilt. IMO this is much more effective then flame sitting or what ever you called it

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
co and me said:
Um maybe I am retarted but bombs dont cancle arial attacks?
If I said this, (I don't believe I did) I'm wrong. The only animations that can be canceled are standing, running, turning, landing, the grapple beam (in the air), jumping bombdrop/morphball form, and the taunt. If I said anything else... I was wrong.

Part of this game is comming up with your own stuff. Sure some of the technical stuff like beam cancle (bomb cancled grab as you called it) should be noted. But I think stuff like jumping from a bomb should be figured out.
This is what Im trying to show... The more technical side. any of the things I'm showing can be combined together or broken down further or even used in ways completelly different from ones I've explained.

I think this guide could be useful if you cut the fat and added better stuff. I mean what about bomb to stop someone from grabing the ledge.
Uh huh, I'm doing this now. THings you are explaining will be in the incomplete sections so far I've really only gone into manuvering so you can expect examples like teh ones you mentioned in teh near future.

But thanks alot for the post. You've enlightened me to some mistakes I've made in this guide. I'll try to make my thread better.

AS Money

Smash Lord
this thread already rocks dude. all i used to do with bombs is the recovery. although when people start breaking everything down in frames it really dosn't help.(they have too much time get a hobby or a job)

co_and_me

Smash Lord
"(they have too much time get a hobby or a job)" Smash is more than a hobby its a way of life...
But yeah <3 there are some local tournies around you during the winter break you going to any of them. I ould love to see your bomb use in action and I am glad you took my critisism constructivly.

homsar

Smash Ace
I must say this is a great guide. I love bombs to play mind games. When an opponet charges me I either bomb jump over to smash them from behind or bomb and then fire a missle in the explosion. It doesnt push you up and when the enemy is close a missle comes flying out of no were (really from behind fire of bomb) to smack them in the face.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I really wish I could co and me, but I'm heading home through X-mas break...

Maybe I could stop by a few before then though, I'm leaving the 17th so I'll keep an eye out for local tournies before then.

But yeah agian thanks everyone for the comments and compliments. I'm sorry I haven't had any updates recently (It should be done by now...) school is, killing my free time. I'll have one up as soon as possible though.

See you guys ^__^

Green Machine

Smash Cadet
wow, great guide, i was wondering how to do that move from Pure Nastiness, i didnt realize you had to use the grapple for it to work, thanks! and taunt cancelling! never thought of that either! only taunt cancel i knew was links.. nice work <3

MprisM

Smash Journeyman
Hey <3 I know the guides not done and I didnt really ask your permission. (Dont be mad at me..LOVE ME INSTEAD) But I made a bomb technique vid off of some of the techniques from your guide. Your love for bombs really got me into bombs to. I'm a noob at it and I might not have did some of the techniques right (high short hop -_-)

But I made it heres the link..hope this helps get your guide stickied as well (it sure deserves it).

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=1153109#post1153109

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Hahaha, I don't even think you linked to this guide, but thats okay. I'm trying to work on a more solid update but I once agian am swamped with work. A new cube is on the way some time this week.

Uh, thanks for the credit but I didn't invent those or anything XD.

MprisM

Smash Journeyman
You might as well have. And eitherway I learned them from you so you can get the credit. I added the link in the vid to this thread. ^_^ Ya sorry about the quality, tis my fault.

Top Bottom