• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Complete Guide to playing Smash Bros. 64 Online

wing-omega5-0

Smash Rookie
i like it but i seem to being having problems. i can run direct3d 8.0 BUT

"Direct3D failed to initialize your HAL device make sure you have a properly configured 3D graphics card compatible with Direct3D 6.0"

i hit OK and then

"Failed to initialize graphics"

Haze01

Smash Apprentice
Hey, that sounds familiar... I was having a similar problem with PJ64 too and made a post on these forums. I fixed the problem myself, after discovering that there is an error with PJ64k where it will automatically load a specific plugin when you open the kaillera window for online play.

Since it sounds like you can run Project 64 with Direct3D 8.0, if your problem is the same as mine, then it can be fixed the same way.

Go into the plugin folder and find the video plugin "Jabo_Direct3D7.dll". Delete that file. Now, find your version 8.0 plugin (Jabo_Direct3D8.dll) and rename it to "Jabo_Direct3D7.dll". As long as your working 8.0 plugin is named this way and in the same folder, the emulator should load it up. Let me know if that works.

From pj64k README.TXT said:
Known issues:
- When open the kaillera window, the following plugins will be loaded:
Jabo's Direct3D7 1.40 (Jabo_Direct3D7.dll)
Azimer's Audio v0.30 (Old Driver) (AudioHLE.dll)
That means that when you try to run the emulator online it will load these plugins. If those plugins cause the program to crash for you, then starting online play will crash the program. I haven't had problems with the audio driver, just Jabo's video plugin.

Haze01

Smash Apprentice
Sigh.

Ever think of reading the guide that this thread was created to advertise?
From the first part of the **** guide said:
Open the Project64k.exe... we'll need to make a few adjustments... don't go and start changing the default plugins (unless they absolutely don't work)... PJ64k tries to load the plugin of the name Jabo_Direct3D7.dll... The fix is to simply take a working plugin (such as the newest Jabo plugin) and name it Jabo_Direct3D7.dll

wing-omega5-0

Smash Rookie
haze i'll try that out when i get home. SOMEHOW i dont think thats the problem because whe i extract pj64k, a pj64.exe also pops into the folder. i cant run the pj64.exe that i get from that extractino but i can play the one taht i got seperately just fine.

if that confused u, i have 2 folders. one for pj64k and one for just pj64.

in the pj64k folder, i have pj64k AND pj64 that is in the zip file that i downloaded for 64k.
in the pj64 folder, i have pjg64 that works perfectly fine.

wing-omega5-0

Smash Rookie
alrite. the problem stays and i'm not even sure if i even have directx nemore. however, i tried to install it and when i go through the process, i'm not sure if its installed or not cuz its all in chinese(my chinese is **** XD). neone have a way for me to get the latest direct x?

dwp171

Smash Apprentice
awesome guide! my only problem is that I when I run the search for game servers it gives me the message "error requesting server list!" I'm guessing this is because of firewalls in my network - does anyone know how to remedy this?

Edit - If it's a problem of a port being closed, I can request to have them opened, I believe. So if this is the case then it woudl be helpful if anyone knew what port Kaillera uses for net play than that would be good too.

smithers

Smash Rookie
I can run the emulator, but can't click on start netplay, and according to project 64, they haven't released an emulator that can use netplay. Is the newest version 1.6?

Thino

Smash Master
man, I already like Hyrule and Sector Z becuz of their walls, but Kirby beta stage 2 owns, u hear it? it OWNS !

Edit: I keep on changin that 800A4D09 00xx code but that **** wont find final destination, guess i cant do it randomly...

BETA

Smash Ace
There are other codes which may be good for online play though. Disabling level obstacles, like Arwings and Tornadoes, can make for a more fair game. Everyone hates destroying an enemy, then having an Arwing come up behind them and KO them.

81131438 0000 Disable Arwings
81131404 0000 Acid down in Zebes (Though I'm still not sure I'd play that level :p)
81131410 0000 No Tornadoes in Hyrule or Wind in Dreamland

Why do you suggest people enable Mushroom Kingdom? No way that's a good level for online play.

There are codes for playing as Master Hand, Giant DK, Metal Mario, and all of the Fighting Polygons, but none of them are competitive level characters.

<EDIT> Oh yeah, and we shouldn't restrict ourselves to just SCD. Also go to #FileCollector's and MasterG's. Also look for some decent capacity rooms (25 and up) which you get good ping in.

Thino

Smash Master
BETA said:
81131404 0000 Acid down in Zebes (Though I'm still not sure I'd play that level :p)
hating planet zebes is more psychological for smashers... :p

edit: btw we could make this thread a database for interesting gameshark codes

Haze01

Smash Apprentice
BETA said:
Why do you suggest people enable Mushroom Kingdom? No way that's a good level for online play.
I believe that you need to have Mushroom Kingdom enabled in order to have the Item Select option. If you don't enable it, you're stuck with items on. Also, since you never choose random stage online, you just don't ever pick it if you don't like it.

I gotta try out Kirby Beta Stage 2.

[EDIT] Just noticed you're note at the end of the guide. You actually can die in Race to the Finish. You are correct that only player 1 can end the game by reaching the finish, but any character can die. This was actually quite fun when someone else showed me online. Raise the damage factor to 200%, and turn on Handicap. Set the stock to one stock. Then have all players set their handicap to 1. Now, you beat each other around the map, with explosions and such blasting you back and forth. Once someone's at around 400% damage, they can die. When you hit someone at that damage level, they'll fly into the walls and... kinda get stuck. They'll take some time to get out of the wall, but if you get to them first, you can give them that extra push to smack them out of the wall off the stage. They get KOed like normal, and the game will end when there's only one person left.

Thino

Smash Master
Already played someone with item select and without MK. so yea its useless.
I was really surprised the game didnt freeze when player go to the exit. I mean , its an adventure mode level and if u didnt KO anyone , everyone is first its quite fun, but i did manage KOin someone with around 800% w/ no handicap ,I was like smashin him on & on & on & on... then he went thru the wall

dwp171

Smash Apprentice
what's the gameshark code for unlocking giant dk? i got all the others working but can't find the giant dk one.

Thino

Smash Master
In VS mode
800A4D2B 001A for player 1
800A4D9F 001A for player 2
800A4E13 001A for player 3
800A4E87 001A for player 4

BETA

Smash Ace
The polygons, M. Mario, and G. DK aren't really worth playing though. Keep in mind that it's 3 vs. 1 in one player. A lot of attacks don't even phase Giant DK, allowing you to counter easily. The same could be said for Metal Mario, but you'll soon find out that they decreased the hit ratio for him, so you're stuck with a pretty normal Mario that just falls too fast.

Though I think we should do some Polygon tournies. You have to play a poly version of your main :p

Thino

Smash Master
good idea , it takes out some annoyin B attacks , and let show the awesomeness of tilts and air comboes, go poly pika !

BETA

Smash Ace
dEZLU said:
Is there anyway to connect an N64 controller to your computer to play SSB?
Yeah, they're called adaptoids. Google in N64 adaptoid or something like that. As a matter of fact, IGN just had an article on SmartJoy adaptoids a few weeks back.

Pikamoo

Smash Rookie
hey, can someone help me? im getting a message that says:
Direct3D failed to initialize
Error code: 8876017C
D3DERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY

dEZLU

Smash Rookie
Hey,

I'm having problem with Smash Online. I set everything up, but for some reason I'm getting horrible lag. Even when I'm doing single player, I have lag up the wazzoo. I get lines in the background during the game, and some of the moves dont look right. For instance, the shield doesnt look circular, but its like a thin sheet, and the same for fox's shine. Maybe my computer just cant handle the game? Or maybe I just need to change one of my options?

Any help?
Thanks in advance.

-dEZLU

Thino

Smash Master
dEZLU said:
Hey,

I'm having problem with Smash Online. I set everything up, but for some reason I'm getting horrible lag. Even when I'm doing single player, I have lag up the wazzoo. I get lines in the background during the game, and some of the moves dont look right. For instance, the shield doesnt look circular, but its like a thin sheet, and the same for fox's shine. Maybe my computer just cant handle the game? Or maybe I just need to change one of my options?

Any help?
Thanks in advance.

-dEZLU
pj64k load jabos d3d6, which has graphic glitches, as default video plugin
so u gotta do is overwriting d3d6 with d3d8 ( download it with pj64 1.6 (not pj64k , just pj64)) then delete jabo d3d6 in pj64k's plugin folder , paste d3d8 from pj64 1.6 and rename it d3d6.
shield n shine should look quite good after that

BETA

Smash Ace
mastahwolf said:
lag mostly depends on the ping, do u lag offline too?
He said he did, and that there were lines in the background.

Sorry man, but that means that your computer can't handle it. You could try other plugins... like Rice's Daedalus.

Pikamoo

Smash Rookie
okay, so now im using the rice plugin and it says:
Can not initialiize DX8, check your Direct settings

Top Bottom