• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus "Pillar of Fire"

Darkchicken

Smash Rookie
In one of the samus guides I believe a move called Pillar of Fire is outlined in which someone repeatedly bombs a character using the explosion to cancel lag and dragging the opponent into the sky. How do you do this? Ive tried to do so on stationary opponents and i can get maybe 3 explosions before the explosions propel me above their head breaking the chain.

BangBang

Smash Rookie
it does not always work because to fully cancel the lag you have to be directly on or over the opponent. The movie with Bowser was cool, but i believe that does not always happen. Samus gets to far in the air

Darkchicken

Smash Rookie
Ah, now i know the problem. I was using it against a stationary marth. I bet it needs to be a larger character.

Crashmania

Smash Journeyman
the fact is pillar of fire shouldn't even be up there cause it doesn't actually work.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Crashmania said:
the fact is pillar of fire shouldn't even be up there cause it doesn't actually work.
It is not always reliable and few people use it due to this, but it does work.

MprisM

Smash Journeyman
At early % you can Dair or Utilt an opponent to send them spiraling upwards which sets for a possible pillar of fire. At higher % opponents will shake out or jump out of the spin and you'll miss most likely. Bomb to nair is one of my favorite tactics and this is a really easy way to land it. It's also extremely easy to escape a pillar of fire so I would suggest making the pillar of fire very short. 2-4 bombs then transfering to an nair. You'll probably be able to edgeguard at that time as the start up of sammy's sex kick has crazy knockback.

But agreeing with others...its not a solid tactic and should probably be avoided. But it would be great to find someone who could own with it.

P.S. Nothing I said can be proved.

ak47

Smash Journeyman
huh really i dont ever get the pillar of fire even though bombs seem to be what i use most to do good samus combos. can u explain or even put a link to a vid showing how it is done cause i dont know what i might be doing wrong when i go for it.

Edit: can some one show a vid of this cause i have no idea what im doing wrong.

Who is NEXT?

Smash Rookie
I believe this cannot be done to a stationary opponent. Your opponent must be airborne.

ak47: When done, bombs repeatedly bombard your opponent multiple times--Take a look at "All Wessed Up" and "Pure Nastyness", correct me if I'm wrong, but there are instances in which they do this.

-->NEXT

Watty

Smash Lord
i believe if u get some1 in it they suck and should quit playing cause the move is terrible and the only reason some1 would fall for it is cause they dont know how to play

ak47

Smash Journeyman
Who is NEXT? said:
I believe this cannot be done to a stationary opponent. Your opponent must be airborne.

ak47: When done, bombs repeatedly bombard your opponent multiple times--Take a look at "All Wessed Up" and "Pure Nastyness", correct me if I'm wrong, but there are instances in which they do this.

-->NEXT
I have seen both and i dont know exactly where they do it but if its dont that why than i have bine doing it for some time now. i did see another vid where samus does the pillar of fire just recently and its cool but it said it could never kill some one.

Jasona

Smash Ace
I don't use the pillar in the traditional way (ie push them through the air), but I do use the pillar... irregularly. When I try to wavebomb, sometimes I can pillar them with two bombs and still be able to WD to the ground/platform without lag. In rare cases, I've been able to pillar with three bombs before rising over their heads. All of this is done while the opponent is on the ground, possibly sheilding.

Takalth

Smash Ace
Add me to the people who have done it but can't figure out how.
My most recent one was after a failed spike attempt on fox, I started dropping bombs just as I reached him, and we just climbed most of the way up the screen.

I have gone into training and tried to duplicate it, but never to any effect. If anyone can figure out exactly what circumstances need to line up for this (even if they're impractical), I would be very interested to know.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Takalth said:
If anyone can figure out exactly what circumstances need to line up for this (even if they're impractical), I would be very interested to know.
Here's all you need to know: It will never work on any human who isn't collaborating with you.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
phanna said:
Here's all you need to know: It will never work on any human who isn't collaborating with you.
Exactly what I was gonna say -__________-

Well, it might work against people who don't have the slightest idea how to DI...

Takalth

Smash Ace
phanna, can you actually get it to work with collaboration? If you can, let me know how?

outofdashdwz, have you ever actually seen it work? there's about a quarter second between bombs, so unless you can DI at 50X speed, that sure as heck won't stop it.

Deveyus

Smash Cadet
No NO NO!!! Thy'll find me if I tell you.
I've done it and had it done, get under the opponent, makes it much easier, and in response to not being able to DI it, yes you can, If you DI you'll be out in just 1 bomb, although if the samus is using this, they're dumb, it is to easy to escape, and no, like luigi's ladder, it cannot kill, there is only one time to use this, against high level computers, and if you are playing those, you are sad person who needs some friends; so put down your controller for a bit and go find some people to play with.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
In reading this thread I was reminded of an event which happened when I was playing samus against Derf's luigi a few days ago:

We were both off the level on FoD, I forget who had jumped off to attack whom, but both of us were trying to recover (we were next to the side of the level, a character length from the ledge), and when we both tried to Up-B, my screw attack would hit him as his up-b hit me (the weak form), and we kind of held in limbo for the 3 times this happened, until our unplanned timing changed enough that he made it to the ledge and I got back on the level. It was just a crazy moment, kind of a stationary ladder, involving samus and luigi. If someone wants to investigate this, that would be cool, or I might try it if I think of it again around him / another luigi player.

Takalth said:
phanna, can you actually get it to work with collaboration? If you can, let me know how?
If they play as bowser and put the controller down.

Deveyus said:
I've done it and had it done, get under the opponent, makes it much easier, and in response to not being able to DI it, yes you can, If you DI you'll be out in just 1 bomb
Nobody said you couldn't DI it. Although it seems a bit weird to say you've "done it and had it done" in the same sentence as saying you can "get out in just 1 bomb."

Takalth

Smash Ace
Essentially, my question is "Can anyone consistently duplicate this and how?" I don't care if it requires collaboration between attacker and attacked, I just want to understand the physics of it. And BTW, one of the times I've done it, it was on fox, not bowser.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
Doesn't matter who you do it on. Same idea. It will work as long as you are bombing "in" them.

And yes, I've done it and my opponent DIed out of it easily.

Takalth

Smash Ace
Yes, that part's obvious, but whenever I try to lab it, my bombs throw me too high. CAN YOU ACTUALLY LAB THIS? I really don't care about DIing it until I understand the physics of what makes it work.

Killa S

Smash Rookie
The Pillar of Fire is not is no good. I can do it and it only works on Bowser and DK. Its hard to do but I go from side to side of the enemy character while making bombs. Its works on big characters like I said. It takes practice and the move is vertially worthless. Don't get me wrong its cool and all but try getting more than three bombs out. Oh yeah, you can't do it on any other character other than Bowser and DK the other guys are just to small. If anybody can do it against Kirby in a real smash battle and get it going on i give you props.

Jasona

Smash Ace
i believe if u get some1 in it they suck and should quit playing cause the move is terrible and the only reason some1 would fall for it is cause they dont know how to play
wow, thats harsh and when you try to get under your opponent to POF, i completely agree. However, the POF works in other, much more common, situations on a smaller scale.
back in the day, i thought it was ghey, when every char, except marth, would "run up"/jump on my shield and wail. They knew that samus couldn't grab or roll to save her life (nvm using them for mind games, i know that slow can sometimes be fast). So i learned to bomb from my shield. i found that in situations where someone attacks from the air, samus can double bomb someone (POF) from her shield. in rare situations i've triple and quad bombed someone from my shield and if they're shielding... ha ha ha. it never pushes them above me. i always climb over them and am forced to DI or immediately WD.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I did it to a Yoshi who, to my knoledge because I haven't fought many, is very well at playing him. I think I got around 10 off on him.

Mars-

Smash Champion
I think that your opponent needs to be DIing toward you(upward) like a computer does. That is why it only works against computers.

Top Bottom