• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Woo, the official Geno thread!

This thread will encompass all specific talk about Geno, the star-possessed scarecrow doll from Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars! So let's get right to it:

List of games Geno has appeared in:
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

So that's it. :p

Geno as he appeared in Mario RPG.

Geno as he appeared in Superstar Saga.

Geno as he appeared in this picture that I drew. :p

Geno would make an excellent addition to the Smash Brothers series. He could easily be a short-range fighter with some projectile attacks. The character from Melee he'd be most like is probably Ness. He'd have similar height and weight as Ness, and probably also have a non-traditional second jump.

Since I love the character so much, I've decided to make an entire moveset for him. :p So here we go...

A - Standard punch.
A-A - One-two punch.
A-A-A-repeated - Geno's hands suck in, and he starts blasting stars out of his arms. This is a combo attack, and the stars do not travel very far before disappearing.

Tilt-A-Up - Geno kicks straight up with one leg, similar to Sheik. Considering he's only a doll, he should be the most flexible character in the game. :p
Tilt-A-forward - Geno does the finger shot. Several pellets shoot out of his four fingers, traveling a short distance before disappearing.
Tilt-A-Down - A sweeping ground kick, similar to Ness.

Smash-A-Up - Geno sticks both hands straight up, and then spreads them, leaving a trail of stars where his hands were. Has a high knockback.
Smash-A-Forward - Geno fires his hand straight forward. It travels a good distance before disappearing and reappearing back on his arm.
Smash-A-Down - Geno does a split, kicking both legs out sideways.

Aerial-A-Neutral - Geno spins in a circle, with arms outstretched. His hands emit a small trail of stars.
Aerial-A-Up - Geno flips, kicking, like Kirby.
Aerial-A-Forward - Geno kicks both feet forward, perpendicular to the screen.
Aerial-A-Down - Geno does his finger shot straight down. The pellets travel a small distance before disappearing.
Aerial-A-Backward - Geno kicks one foot backwards, spinning in a circle.

B-Neutral - Geno charges up the Geno Beam. The longer you hold it, the more powerful the move gets (until it gets to its maximum charge, that is). The move, unlike other "shooting" moves like Samus' Charge Shot or Mewtwo's Shadow Ball, shoots across the entire stage, staying attached to Geno during the duration of the attack. To make up for it's large range, it's a relatively slow-moving attack.
B-Up - Geno spreads his arms and flies upward. A trail of stars extends behind him, which damages opponents until they disappear.
B-Forward The Geno Whirl, from Mario RPG. Geno swings his arm in a horizontal arc, sending a series of circles across the stage horizontally. This is a very quick-move. Also, if you press B again at the exact right instant, anyone hit by the Whirl's damage goes straight to 999% (Just kidding. ;))
B-Down - The Geno Blast. Geno plants himself, and a series of multicolored lights rain down from the heavens on either side of him.

Super Move - The Geno Flash. Geno turns into a cannon, and shoots a spark into the center of the stage. The spark grows a face, blinks, and then explodes.

Check the Flash version!

I would love playing as this character. Too bad I'm not working on this game. Not that my ideas are better than other people's, just that I would love working on the game. :p

Here's hoping we see our favorite star-powered hero appearing in Brawl! :)

*EDIT* I contacted Nintendo about who owns Geno:

Nintendo representative said:
Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

Sorry that our response was not clear. The characters in the Super Smash Bros game are not all the property of Nintendo. They generally remain the property of the company that originally created them. While Geno and Mallow originally appeared in a game that was marketed by Nintendo, the title was designed and programmed by Square Soft. Geno and Mallow would still remain as the intellectual property of Square-Enix (the current name). Unfortunately, we have not heard any information that would support any rumors of Nintendo acquiring these characters.

Thanks for your email and good luck with all your games!
So, as of now, Geno is still the property of Square-Enix. That being the case, Square would have to lend Geno back to Nintendo in order for him to appear in Smash.

That said, I see no reason why Square would not lend the character. However, there was a ton of confusion about the subject, so I went right to the source. Geno is currently owned by Square.

*EDIT* So, Snakz has been putting together some new stuff in the thread, so I'm quoting a post of his here without using the actual quote stuff. The following is all done by Snakz:

Alrighty, here's the list of members so far, and i've added my rant, enjoy!

Go ahead an critique the rant, i could use it, and if you wana make any edits yourself, go ahead, just be sure to tell me what you've edited and why

Im probably missing a lot of names here so if i forgot you, or you'd like to be added, just tell me

The ♥♪!? Alliance
a.k.a. The Geno Alliance
"Servitors of a Higher Authority"

Thread Creator: McFox (obviously)

Brawlman
Chi's Finest
Copperpot
Dhaka
DynamiteSpoony
Enigma14
FericeDeityWolf
Foz
genosall
GenoStrike
GhostAnime
hemightbegiant
JesterBox
Loooooni
Mcpuff
Oshiro Akina
paralasalud
prettymanfairy
PsychoIncarnate
Ralph Marquee
Shadowbolt
Sinn
Snakz
SonicSpeed
Sponge
Super Mario Whirled
TBone06
vesperview

Geno for Brawl: Arguments from Both Sides
By Snakz

Geno’s got a lot of things going for him, I’ll mention the arguments for him, but really this is meant to tackle the arguments against him.

Pro:

1) Geno is unique in character

If you want to know who Geno is, ill give you a summary. Geno, who’s true name is actually ♥♪!? is a star spirit/guardian that came from Star Road, a place that makes wishes come true. Star Road was destroyed by Smithy when he drove the giant sword, Exor through and shattered it into 7 stars, all of which landed on Earth. So he came down to Earth and possessed a doll name Geno to collect the stars and eventually, with Mario’s help, he defeated Smithy and restored order to Star Road and Earth.

Now Geno has a very likable and strong personality, were it not for Mario, I’m sure Geno would’ve been just fine being the leader of the party, since he seems to have that quality. Now his background is undeniably unique, and anyone who says he’s not unique enough for Brawl should go play SMRPG. If they finished it and are still not convinced, you should consider therapy.

2) Extremely easy to make a moveset for

If you haven’t taken time out of your busy schedule, I suggest taking a few clicks and looking at McFox’s moveset for Geno. In terms of special moves, moveset is pretty much the same moveset that most people have for Geno. As for the rest, there are usually a lot of similarities between what McFox has and what others have, but people do get pretty creative with the rest of his moves. Either way, Geno is probably one of the easiest characters to make a moveset for and would deffinetly not be a problem adding him into Brawl on a technical stand point.

3) Geno is tied for 2nd place on Sakurai’s poll

This is probably the best argument for Geno on the more political side of things. Next to Sonic, Geno is the most requested 3rd party character on the poll (and he’s not even purely 3rd party, more on that later). Without this, Geno’s fans would be getting shot down left and right because people would claim he doesn’t have a strong standing on the poll, and since many people don’t know him, he wouldn’t stand a chance. But because he tied with such contenders as Ike and Diddy Kong (who are confirmed), this is a strong case.

** Now there is one more thing I’d like to add about the relationship between Nintendo and Square-Enix. There’s been a lot of people saying the they are getting things better between each other now and other people saying they’re relationship isn’t as good as it was. If there’s one thing we can make a fact of is this; if SMRPG is coming to the Virtual Console, that’s has to say something about the two companies having a good enough relationship to agree to re-release SMRPG to the VC.

Con:

1) Nobody's heard of him

This argument right off the bat is so weak, every time I hear this arguement being used it makes me want to choke puppies. We have so many examples of this factor not being an issue. First off, we have Geno’s poll numbers, tied for second. CLEARLY, enough people have heard of Geno for them to believe he deserves a spot in Brawl. Secondly, don’t know about you, but had you ever heard of the Ice Climbers and/or Mr. Game & Watch before Melee was released? Unless you played their games, most people would say they haven’t. So not having been heard of is definitely not a valid reason not to be included in Brawl.

2) We have too many Mario reps already

Usually, the people who say this are the same people who believe DK, Yoshi and Wario are considered part of the Mario franchise, when Sakurai clearly shows that at least that for Brawl’s sake that is not the case. Sure, they got their start in Mario games, no question, but it doesn’t matter whether you believe they have they’re own separate franchise or not, Sakurai considers them separate franchises. So not including those characters, we have Mario, most likely Luigi, Bowser and Peach, and don’t tell me Dr. Mario is returning, his chances are almost nigh. So that’s 4 characters, I wouldn’t say one more is too much, would you? Pokémon already has 4 representatives (Pikachu and Pokémon Trainer who has 3 other Pokémon), there’s a good chance that there will be one more representative. Remember we’re about franchise representation here, not slots. The number of slots is not significant as they can change easily. So if Pokémon can have 5 reps, why not Nintendo’s most well-known franchise?

Not to mention the Pokémon franchise is also represented by the countless number of Pokémon in the Pokéball item. Though now with the introduction of Assist Trophies, other franchises, and even those who will not get a PC rep can still have a chance to shine in Brawl, though slightly, well ain’t that peachy? So far we’ve been shown the Hammer Bros, Bullet Bills and Latiku to represent the Mario franchise in AT fashion. Although there will probably be more from the Mario series, there’s no question that the number of Pokémon non-PC reps will outnumber non-PC Mario reps, so even in that respect, Mario will not be the most represented. Also there’s a little series needing mention called Zelda. It’s been predicted that there will be two more reps, Ganondorf being one of them (what a surprise) and mainly a competition between Midna w/ or w/out Wolf Link and WW Link. I wont get into that since this is no the place for that, but the point it this; Zelda is very likely to have at least 5 PC reps, same goes to Pokémon, so what’s to say the Mario series shouldn’t get 5 reps?

Of course, others will argue for Bowser Jr. as the last Mario rep. Most do not believe that Geno AND Bowser Jr. will make it to Brawl, so that really comes down to your own opinion on who should get in between those two.

3) He's only been in two games

This is about as effective as “No one knows who he is”, probably the dumbest of the arguments against Geno. The Ice climbers have only been in ONE game and they made it in. Sure they’re retro, but the SNES (which is where Geno made is first appearance in Super Mario RPG) is on the borderline of being retro, if it hasn’t already. Once again, it shows that it doesn’t matter how many games the character has been in, if enough people have heard of him that they will voice significantly that he should be in Brawl, well then ****it, he should be a contender for a spot.

4) Geno's third party, he's not worthy of a third party slot

Alright now to the juicy stuff. This is probably the most common argument made against Geno since he is owned by Square-Enix. If you haven’t read this (Thanks to PsychoIncarnate for this find!), I strongly suggest you do: http://blogs.ign.com/phoenixdragoon/2007/10/22/69626/ It’s an argument saying the Geno isn’t exactly 3rd party, but something called 2nd ½ party. If this really is the case for Geno’s legal stand point, then there’s virtually no problem in adding Geno.

But if you don’t believe the article and still think Geno will be purely 3rd party, your most likely saying that Geno is not worthy of the last (or supposedly last) 3rd party spot compared to Megaman, Bomberman, Rayman, or “someotherman”. Personally, I believe that if Geno really is pure 3rd party (which I don’t) then the only competition he has is Megaman.

Now let me get this out of the way first; whether you believe Geno is worthy of Brawl is purely your own opinion, there’s nothing factual about worthiness. Now Megaman is no doubt a very iconic character and has been on numerous titles to which I won’t bother counting, most of which are on a Nintendo console. But considering Megaman only received two votes, it’s obviously not the best he could get, but it’s not a very strong case for his appearance in Brawl, so many of his fans are relying on his popularity outside the polls. The bad part for Megaman is we really don’t know how much Sakurai is looking into Megaman as a result of the poll. Because of his relative poor rank on the poll compared to his popularity, I consider Megaman and Geno to be equals in terms of purely 3rd parties. The rest is just my favoring of Geno over Megaman.

As for other 3rd party characters, it’s for the most part, the same case. They got relatively low standings on the polls (or in some character’s cases, not at all, yet still being supported), so the fans rely on the character’s popularity alone. I honestly think the poll will turn out to have a great impact on who will be considered to enter Brawl, Which is certainly the case for Geno. Unfortunately for the rest, I don’t think the other character’s popularity will enough (for the record, I’d love to see Bomberman in Brawl, but I just don’t see it happening).

Now if Sakurai decides to tell us he changed his mind and is letting more 3rd party characters in, then we’ve more to discuss, but until then, that’s all I gotta say about Geno and 3rd parties. Just remember, overall I don’t consider Geno a pure 3rd party addition, and I sure plenty of Geno fans don’t either, but there are still some who do, and I wanted to point out they’re possible views on it.

Oro

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was extremely disappointed when I found out that Geno wasn't in SSBM :( He was my favorite character from Super Mario RPG, which was one of my favorite games of all time. Geno is one of the few characters that could dissuade me from using Zero Suit Samus. I'd imagine his up+b move would be called Geno Boost, even though it wasn't a movement type attack in the game, just because it sounds like an up+B move :p

I always took the fact that Geno appears in a game with "Smash" in the title in Mario & Luigi as a sign that he'd be in the next Smash. Here's to hoping!!

Card

Smash Lord
Me and my friends are convinced that hes already in :)
He's just that great of an addition to SSBB, along with his SMRPG counterpart Mallow!
Dont forget he was part of the top 5 characters on Toukouken! on Sakurai's website! That means Sakurai himself knows that the fans want Geno!

Oro

BRoomer
BRoomer
I almost posted "I'm getting tired of you no name noobs starting threads for no name characters from games nobody's ever heard of" as my first post in this thread, but that cool picture of Geno overrode that desire.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I think Geno has enough support to warrant his own thread: mine. :p

But seriously, this isn't Raiden or Toad or someone lame, this is GENO!!!

*EDIT* Besides, if Oro locks this, I'll just unlock it. :p

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Bah. He's not actually the character that he appears to be. He has the job of repairing the Star Road, and it's indicated that he is a star himself. He possesses the Geno doll in order to help Mario collect the stars in order to repair the road so that wishes can come true. The character's name is actually "♥♪!?", but he adopts Geno's name when he possesses the doll.

What's wrong with that?

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Zodiak, do you like any characters? Seriously, how would Geno's addition be bad? I am not even talking from an aesthetic look. Geno's premise would make an incredibly neat character even if you don't like the characters design.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Geno is actually the only character that I would put on the level that I have put Diddy on, I can see no reason why he shouldn't be in the game. But Zodiak-Lucien must think that only the characters from melee and no one else should be in SSBB when he saw wario or anyone new he must have been extremelly mad

FoxUser88

Smash Rookie
gen0 is my Counter Strike name :) Definetly a vote for Geno though, his magical attacks would be top knotch. Just a plain simple straight up good and logical character for Brawl. He'd make an excellent mid tier character minimum more so I'd be believe him to be an upper tier though.

thedocsalive

Smash Ace
FoxUser88 said:
He'd make an excellent mid tier character minimum more so I'd be believe him to be an upper tier though.
I doubt that the creators of SSBB make characters with tiers in mind. Even if they did, they wouldn't be able to perfectly place a character in a certain tier at their will.

Anyway, I'm a big supporter of Geno for SSBB. He just has all kinds of potential from his various regular attacks from SMRPG to his numerous special attacks. Of course, his moves can't be taken directly from the game, but there is certainly enough basis for a moveset. McFox did an excellent job of showing a possible moveset, IMO. Though I'm not sure how Geno Flash can be both a down B and a super. ;)

I'm not sure about Geno Blast as a down B, though. I see it as either being too broken in its range and power, or too hard to use if Geno has to implant himself in the ground. I know theoretically lag on a powerful move should balance it out, but I just think it will fall to one of the extremes.

And before you say it, yes, Nintendo can put in Geno with some of his specials, but not all of them. A character in Smash does not equate to himself in his original game(s). Remember, Jigglypuff is higher in the tiers than Pikachu who is higher in the tiers than Mewtwo. Tell me the last time THAT happened in Pokemon.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
thedocsalive said:
Though I'm not sure how Geno Flash can be both a down B and a super. ;)
Lol, I meant to put the Geno BLAST as the Super move. :p You still know what I'm talking about, the cannon move. :p

I'm not sure about Geno Blast as a down B, though. I see it as either being too broken in its range and power, or too hard to use if Geno has to implant himself in the ground.
I was thinking of it as a little bit slower Pika Thunder with a little more range. It'd hit just to the left and right of him, so you'd have to time it correctly to edgeguard or make sure the people above you (or the people you're jumping over) are distracted.

But yeah, that's a moveset based mostly on his moves from Mario RPG, considering he hasn't been in any other games. :p

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
I think if Geno were put into Smash, even as a secret character, they should give him his own stage designed like the treestump on which he fought Bowyer [right after being introduced.] It would basically be like Final Destination, but have walls that extend to the floor, good for Link's and Samus's grapple, or wall jumps for extra recovery height.

Or maybe it could exist in 3D space while the characters fought in 2D. Why? Because it could have branches, and spin according to certain actions. Like characters jumping to or from the branches [pssibly even a classic mario switch to turn it on or off mid battle. But because these are stage interferences they'd be optional [hopefully].

:bumper:

BTW that pic from superstar saga DOES make me wonder. I mean, we all saw the Angel version of Kirby in the Magic Mirror hinting at Pit's inclusion, right? And the metanightmare, making metaknight for the first time playable? I honestly think Hal labs WANTED to make another Smash and had a few characters in mind, before Smash 3 was officially announced along with Sakurai's intentions of founding Smash Labs.

Card

Smash Lord
Resting_Fox said:
I think if Geno were put into Smash, even as a secret character, they should give him his own stage designed like the treestump on which he fought Bowyer [right after being introduced.] It would basically be like Final Destination, but have walls that extend to the floor, good for Link's and Samus's grapple, or wall jumps for extra recovery height.

Or maybe it could exist in 3D space while the characters fought in 2D. Why? Because it could have branches, and spin according to certain actions. Like characters jumping to or from the branches [pssibly even a classic mario switch to turn it on or off mid battle. But because these are stage interferences they'd be optional [hopefully].
Thats an awesome idea!

Like there would be 3 blocks in the background, B-Block, A-Block, and Z-Block. Ocassionally Yardovich (sp?) the boss of that tree stump, would show up and shoot an arrow into the sky, and it would randomly fall on one of those blocks. Whichever it falls on, that button is locked (B-Block = no B button moves, R-Block = no Shielding and Rolling, Z-Block = No Grabs)

Although I doubt you could turn it off, since its part of the level :/

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
MookieRah said:
Zodiak, do you like any characters? Seriously, how would Geno's addition be bad? I am not even talking from an aesthetic look. Geno's premise would make an incredibly neat character even if you don't like the characters design.
I never said his addition would be bad, the more the marrier. I'm just saying I personally dont like the guy.

xianfeng said:
But Zodiak-Lucien must think that only the characters from melee and no one else should be in SSBB when he saw wario or anyone new he must have been extremelly mad.
All because I dont like geno doesnt mean I'm going to hate every likily canidate. I again, I said I personally dont like geno not that I dont want him in the game.

McFox said:
Bah. He's not actually the character that he appears to be. He has the job of repairing the Star Road, and it's indicated that he is a star himself. He possesses the Geno doll in order to help Mario collect the stars in order to repair the road so that wishes can come true. The character's name is actually "♥♪!?", but he adopts Geno's name when he possesses the doll.

What's wrong with that?
Yes I have played super mario rpg and I know the premise behind him. I just dont like it, do I really have to explain my opinion?

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I believe Nintendo recently purchased the rights to Geno - perhaps for this very reason?
Anyway, I would be extremely unhappy if Geno gets nixed AGAIN... :(
And GENO BLAST should definently be his Brawl attack.

Here's to Geno in SSBB!

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Resting_Fox said:
BTW that pic from superstar saga DOES make me wonder. I mean, we all saw the Angel version of Kirby in the Magic Mirror hinting at Pit's inclusion, right? And the metanightmare, making metaknight for the first time playable? I honestly think Hal labs WANTED to make another Smash and had a few characters in mind, before Smash 3 was officially announced along with Sakurai's intentions of founding Smash Labs.
But Hal didn't make Superstar Saga. They had nothing to do with that game...

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Chibi said:
Thats an awesome idea!

Like there would be 3 blocks in the background, B-Block, A-Block, and Z-Block. Ocassionally Yardovich (sp?) the boss of that tree stump, would show up and shoot an arrow into the sky, and it would randomly fall on one of those blocks. Whichever it falls on, that button is locked (B-Block = no B button moves, R-Block = no Shielding and Rolling, Z-Block = No Grabs)

Although I doubt you could turn it off, since its part of the level :/
The boss to that level is Bowyer, not Yaridovich. ;)

Anyways, that's a great level idea...Except I love to grab... :cry:

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
There aren't enough characters with a couple projectile attacks. Most of them have 1. So I think if Geno has a few shooting attacks that would make the "Shooting" characters minority a little closer to the "Combat" majority. Samus, Link, Y. Link, and Ness right now are the only ones with 3 projectiles.

Geno is a good choice, and you did a good job discribing him. I know how it feels to think of good characters and knowing they probably won't be used by the games. Its tough, but you'll make through it.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Geno was recently bought by Nintendo, supposedly. That's what I heard anyway.

Even if he wasn't, Nintendo is using 3rd party characters this time & Square already let them use Geno once, so I think Geno has a pretty good chance. Especially since Sakurai is interested in hearing what the fans want, & lots of people want Geno.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Geno Blast is the rainbow-beam-from-the-heavens move and Geno Flash is the cannon-that-shoots-out-the-constipated-sun move like correctly state by this guy:

Devastlian said:
I mean Geno would be perfect for the game...his B would be Geno Beam (probably chargeable and would have an infinite single direction range and cause little flinching), down B would be Geno Blast (kinda like Pikachu's down B), foward B could be Geno Twirl (and be able to be thrown diagonally like Link's boomerang), and...I have no idea what Up B could be...maybe shoot stars downwards to propel himself up; haven't had anyone do that yet...And his super move could be Geno Flash. It would be awesome to seem him turn into a cannon and shoot out this little ball of light that turns into that big constipated sun that covers the screen.

theleocat5

Smash Cadet
You know that move in "Seven Stars" that Geno has. The thing that can do like 9999, that disk. You think this move could possibly appear on his moveset if he is in?

Is that what you set as Geno Whirl McFOx, i havent played that game in a while so i dont know. Maybe your rite not 999%, but a good timing should give a bonus.

Top Bottom