• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

edgeguarding

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
For any character recovering low it's nair for me always. Most characters excluding only the Mario’s and Bowser I think can be hit out of their upB with a well placed nair from just above and behind. I short hop off or DHS off facing the stage and position myself just behind the characters path of recovery, and as they upB I nair, Sam's foot hit's and sends them bouncing off the wall to their doom in most cases. At worst you'll trade hits and still get the kill, but since just about every upB in the game sends you up this shouldn't be an issue at all.

I like this approach because it's simple and easily, it has the smallest margin for error and is extremely hard to avoid when you are indeed above them.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
<3 said:
Sam's foot hit's and sends them bouncing off the wall to their doom in most cases.
Unless of course they tech it.

It's better to hit them out than in.

Jasona

Smash Ace
my problem with nairing is that it takes too much time and there is a good chance that, if the nair doesn't send them very far, they'll just up+b again, almost immediately, and they'll be on the edge and I'll be at a disadvantage. Sometimes, when an opponent sees that I'm going to nair, they'll up+b early (no chance of reaching the edge) just so I'll hit them out of it and get them closer to the edge or at least higher than they were.

EDIT -> nair is good sometimes, but not all the time

kamakazi1987

Smash Rookie
If you can, watch some HugS videos, i believe that he has the best edgeguard with Samus in the nation. But make sure the videos are current.

Also, if they are above the stage, you could try to hit them with a bair, but not sweet spotted. Then, hit them with a sweet spotted bair.

co_and_me

Smash Lord
Typicaly for me i use nair and uptilt. somtime i will angle the ftilt down if i dont have time for the uptilt.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Mankosuki said:
Unless of course they tech it.

It's better to hit them out than in.
Agreed but most of the time that isn't an option vs a lot of characters, it hard to time tech's in situations so I say most of the time it's worth the risk. If the character does however get a tech you chould have time to get back on the stage before they can mount any type of attack.

In many stages (battle field, pokemon stadium, DreamLand 64, Corneria) this will send a character underneath the ring to a point where it's imposible to recover so this is definitely an good option in these places.

co_and_me

Smash Lord
I agree manko that they can tech it. But I think you can judge the players ability. Most players will not tech this hit. If you are playing someone that will then good luck winning because they are prolly pretty good lolz. anyway I have a feeling that unless they are looking for you to do this it will most likely catch them off guard and you will get the kill.
I found that even on FD falling into space animals with nair typically gets the kill. I do the same to CF alot. I see him comming in low and will go for the nair. This some times pushes him up to where he can get the ledge but i will beat him to it. Because of where he is. I can up be and ff to the ledge before he gets there. I have most my edgeguarding succes against CF and space animals.
One thing to always look for against space animals is a foward b. Alot of them will ledge hop this move. Some times they will add a wall jump in between. But if you see it comming try to uptilt them out of it. They will die. If you dont see it comming fast enough then ftilt works pretty well. Laying a bomb in front of you on the stage covers a few options. If they over b or roll the bomb will hit them. You can usually follow up on this.

UltimateSP310

Smash Rookie
usually i just go to the opponent who is trying to get back and then i drop a bomb directly near them so they will get stunned and then i follow up with a dair spike or nair.

Samus247

Smash Journeyman
i've started WD backwards and holding away from the edge so that i fly off the stage and immeadiately press a to do a Nair; i've also started doing Bair with that WD thing when they're at a 45 degree angle, it works pretty nice and looks good too...

Jasona

Smash Ace
I've come to the conclusion that bombs really aren't a good idea against good players. I was thinking about what I would do in a ditto against someone who dropped bombs over the edge to screw with my recovery. I would up+b immediately after hitting the bomb, giving my opponent no chance to escape. The bomb has little hit lag and although many people are suckers for a bomb, it isn't likely to work against people who know that they can just up+b immediately.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
Although for dittos (and the Links) it does work well for screwing up their grapple and forcing them into up-b which you can then try to u-tilt. Even though they can up-b so quickly, laying the bomb isn't all that lagy either so you can get off the u-tilt rather easily.

Jasona

Smash Ace
they may be smart enough to up+b as soon as you lay the bomb and hit you when you're lagging. However, I do understand that if the bomb hits long after it is dropped (for example - way down there), then you have enough time to recover from lag.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
except that if they're in the middile of a grapple they can't up-b until it hits them...

ESAM

Smash Ace
SEFL representing samus in the sunshine state
If they above me , i just charge beam or something since if they too high they will recover anyway. If they below i just wait for the u-tilt. In some cases if its their last life and i have 2, ill go after them and gimp the jump. CRIPPLE THE LEGS!(referenced from Mech-Warrior) Up-tilt is god against a lot of characters. If they try to sweetspot i just go and edgehog. IF they change their minds and try to actually get up, i edgehop and missile backwards hitting them back off in their lag.

Mars-

Smash Champion
From what I have seen here is good edgeguarding techniques:
  • U-Tilt: U-Tilt beats most up+b's including but not limited to Ganon, samus, fox, falco, Ice climbers, luigi, dk, c. falcon. Hard to hit, but does work on fox and falco's side b.
  • F-Tilt: For vsing samus, often time you f-tilt to kick them out of their bomb jumb. Angle toward the edge.
  • Bombs: Lay a bomb right on the edge, if they step on it f-smash. Also drop bombs over the edge to stop jigglypuffs jumps, can't third jump. Jump off the edge and drop a bomb into their third jump, when they hit it spike them.
  • F-smash: Mindgame them into a f-smash when they land. Angle a f-smash toward the ledge and hit them before they grab on. You can hit doc through his up+b, but he will hit you too. Works on falco's and fox's side b.
  • Missile: Shot people with bad recovery to stop their di temporarly, or if you shot a smash missile, it could kill them. Useful for marth, because without his DI from his second jump, side b barely moves him forward. Smash missile fox and falco's side b, home in on their up+b
  • Edge hog: You could hog the edge, then when they land from their up+b, stand up quickly and f-smash. Ledge hop to bair, recovering shouldn't be a problem. You can just hog or roll.
  • D-smash: If you hit them as they are jumping into this, they will hit the wall and stall in the air for a bit sometimes turning them around. Try following up with an attack.
  • Dair: Spike out of third jump. Works well for ganon, fox, falco, and most horizontal recoveries. Works on fox and falco's side b.
Thats all I can think of for now. You can add to the first post if you want.

Somebody

Smash Journeyman
angled fsmash is really effective on marths marios. Sometimes just to comfuse people I drop off the stage and reverse full charge blast them towards the stage. Or I'll do the same thing but bair or something but thats only if utilt, fsmash, etc. get too predicable.

The one that I personally find the most effective is dropping off the stage and hitting them with the grapple. Really unexpected.....

Kick

Smash Apprentice
lol the grapple does work and is unexpected, but its also really risky.

bombs, utilt, ftilt and edgehog are my best ways. fast, efficient and they get the kill.

Mars-

Smash Champion
I was reading my post for this topic, and I put a lot of effort into it. Therefore, I think it should be put into the first post and then sticky the thread. :)

Somebody

Smash Journeyman
The one that I personally find the most effective is dropping off the stage and hitting them with the grapple. Really unexpected.....
I was joking about that one...

I dont really do the reverse blast or bair thing that much. I primarily stick with the utilt since I suck at angling fsmashes and turning around fast in the air.

I do have one question about utilting foxs and falcos up+b's. I tend to get hit anyways when I hit them as well. Is this just a timing issue?

Jasona

Smash Ace
I do have one question about utilting foxs and falcos up+b's. I tend to get hit anyways when I hit them as well. Is this just a timing issue?

i have that problem too. so i use my up+b to pull them out of theirs and then ledgegrab cancel it into whatever, usually another up+b until they're high enough to uair. the uair sends them low enough that, if they were to try to recover again, i could repeat the up+b edgeguard.

mach5

Smash Journeyman
this is my edge guarding advice.

Lower Percentages
-If i sent them off and they're like at 40-60% the first thing i worry about is their second jump. if they second jump trying to get back on the stage make them lose it with a low ftilt. works best on cfalcons. A UTILT works great if they're coming in from above and they want the ledge you make them eat your heel. after they lose their second jump they might panic or they might play calm, if they panic they'll expose themselves too much above the ledge and you can fsmash them, if they play it cool and wait to sweetspot it you can easily just wavedash and edge hog.

High percentages
-If i knock them off and they're at 80+ going for the edge i just focus on their second jump first, and if they have to use their up b a well placed utilt works great. one of the best options is the realease sex kick last moment whether it is the wavedash off and nair asap or whether its to run off the stage and sex kick, or edge hopnair with invincibility frames ( best suited for firefox)

Fancy edge guarding
-Laying a bomb right near the edge not so it falls off but its so close that anything that touches the edge gets burned. if you play against a fox/falco and they always use their side+b to sweet spot perfectly and under the stage this bombburns then droppingthem down so they'll be forced to use a up+b, then you can easily fsmash them or edge hog them

Going of the stage to hit them
-Samus can fight any character other then jigglypuff and kirby when you jump off to fight them. You can use samus's bomb jumps to lead into a nair

ex) say a marth is using its side+b to slowly recover and still has its second jump,
a quick jump and plants the bomb
Di's back
fakes them out and might force them to use their second jump with a fair missing,
after they miss you can use your second jump to sex kick them.

Another good move is samus' bair. Bair has more priority then alot of the up+b like firefox. if they are equal level to the stage and want to sweet spot and your on the edge, you can easily edge hop bair a firefox, whether they decide they want to go above the stage or sweetspot it

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Mars' post pretty much outlined the edgeguarding moveset that Samus has. I prefer to start with homing missile spam peppered with smash missiles, then the icing on the cake is usually a utilt, dfsmash or nair off the edge depending on the situation. Now a peppered spam cake with icing on the top may not sound tasty, but I'm not the one eating it.

My opponent is.

why all the hate on the dtilt for edgeguarding?
My distaste for it comes from its very narrow situational usability. It's only useful against sweetspotters that can't hit you from below, and beyond that, it's only effective against fast-fallers or heavyweights, because only they will end up anywhere near your attack range before the stun ends, and even then, it only works at certain percentages. Furthermore, almost all characters end up behind you after about 20%, so even if you can combo them, they might try to DI out of a combo that will keep them off the edge, and you'll be forced to start from the beginning.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
If they are far shoot missles/homing ones.
Then i mainly just use Utilt with the sex kick.

The Dtilt is not good because it sends them up and then they are safe to return to the leval. And it never really kills them ethier....

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
Well, I don't have any competitive people to play against, but if I DID...

If they're trying to recover from above or sweetspot the edge, I'd back up a little and shoot homing missiles, but if they're recovering from afar, I'll shoot smash missiles. I'd also use my Utilt and maybe an angled Fsmash. Also, instead of firing missiles at a sweetspotter, I'll do a Bair or Sex Kick.

Top Bottom