• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Character: Dr. Wright

parrothead

Smash Lord

Name: Dr. Wright

First Game Appearance: Sim City (SNES) (also appeared on Sim City 64 (64DD; Japan Only))

Release Date: 1991

Special Moves:

B - Nuclear Meltdown (throws a yellow sign labeled with a radiation symbol, partly soaked with radiated ooze at the opponents, it may poison them. Dr. Wright holds the dry end of it, so he won't get poisoned).

Up+B+any direction - Tornado (similar to Fox's and Falco's Up+B move, but it doesn't charge up Dr. Wright before he attacks. It's brown, dusty, more agile, and it scatters opponents in random directions).

Down+B - Plane Crash (pulls out an airliner jet, hops on it, and falls down to the ground. While it explodes, Dr. Wright bounces off of it. This is not related to suicide bombers nor terrorist attacks, this is related to airliner accidents.).

Down+B - Pollution (Draws a hose out and shoots small, tropical storm-shaped, smoke puffs at his opponents. Sometimes the smoke rounds will toxicate the opponents).

Extreme Attack: U.F.O. Invasion (pulls out a flying saucer and flies on it while the saucer signals for more saucers to attack Dr. Wright's opponents with beam shooters. This disaster only appears in the Las Vegas scenario of the SNES Sim City.)

Taunt: Straightens his glasses.

Entrance: Walks out of his office door.

Victory Theme

Will Wright said that Dr. Wright is owned by Nintendo, according to these quotes:

Dragons_Revenge (Jan 8, 2004 6:30:47 PM)
Is Dr. Wright from the SimCity-SNES version going to make a come back? He was very helpful.

MaxisWill (Jan 8, 2004 6:30:47 PM)
I rather doubt it. That is a Ninetendo character so it's up to them.
I found it here: http://simcity.ea.com/community/events/will_wright_01_08_04.php

I changed Plane Crash into Pollution. Here is the description for Plane Crash:

Down+B - Plane Crash (pulls out an airliner jet, hops on it, and falls down to the ground. While it explodes, Dr. Wright bounces off of it. This is not related to suicide bombers nor terrorist attacks, this is related to airliner accidents.).

-Mace-Solo-

Smash Apprentice
Oh man... umm... it's not the fact that he couldn't become a newcomer, but... it's the fact that I just plain outright find it difficult to imagine the guy flippin' fight.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
He's unlikely but it would be cool if he was in (I say he's unlikely because there are a lot more deserving characters than him and no I'm not talking about jut Diddy although he is way more deserving)

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
xianfeng said:
He's unlikely but it would be cool if he was in (I say he's unlikely because there are a lot more deserving characters than him and no I'm not talking about jut Diddy although he is way more deserving)
We get it! We get it! You like Diddy Kong. You want him in Smash Bros. It's as plain as the nose on my face.

Anyways, Dr. Wright. Awesome idea.

Sensai

Smash Master
I like how you thought it out, and he sounds great, the way you put him.

Too bad Nintendo wouldn't do that, just 'cause they have different thoughts.

And I'm all for EVERY character being in Brawl, so long as they can add every character. I'd rather Wright NOT take the spot of say....Geno.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Sim City 64 was only developed by Nintendo and HAL Laboratory. Maxis wasn't involved in it at all.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I've never played this game before, and when I first heard of it, I thoguht it would be like the sims, except you control an entire city. Now, it seems like a game where you control a city while all hell breaks loose.

Like your moveset! Dr. Wright has my vote! :)

TAMASHI

Smash Apprentice
I cannot see anybody from Sims in a fighting game such as this...I say leave him out of it.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
parrothead dedicated about a dozen topics to a bunch of characters no one has ever heard of just to waste our space.

Or something like that.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Not sure about this oine, parrothead. Dr. Wright runs into the same territory as Tom Nook, where it's helper/support character from a game that is not action based. I would like to see Dr. Wright featured in the game - I just can't see him as a playable. Very good moveset though.

Also, I'm not sure if you guys have caught on, but Sakurai himself likes obscure characters - I mean, how many of you have heard of Ice Climbers or Mr. G&W prior to the release of SSBM? Also, he said that he didn't want to include just the characters that are popular. Also McFox, I hate to break it, but two of parrothead's suggestions (Stafy and Demille) actually have just as good, if not higher, chances than yours (Geno). As a moderator, I think you should be a little more objective in your statements.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Shadow Calibur said:
I just wanna know this: what is it about obscure, unheard-of characters that makes you want them in Brawl, parrothead?
He must likr interesting and original characters

parrothead

Smash Lord
One reason why I created this thread, is because Dr. Wright was mentioned on Sakurai's list.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
HOLY ROTTEN QUADRUPLE POSTS, BATMAN!

But yeah, still don't see this one happening (and as many well know, I'm NOT a supporter of Nook or Kawashima either - in fact I'm against them even moreso), but Sim City should DEFINENTLY be represented as a stage and somehow I've managed to imagine an awesome rock mix of the Sim City Metropolis theme - part of a compilation of Nintendo tunes akin to The Black Mages that I deamt up... Oh well...

Ughh...No...Sims suck,not even a decent game.

There are more deserving characters,and this one has to many requierments,and too little functionality or popularity....on top of that...he is Fugly.

*Here come the flames*

parrothead

Smash Lord
Wow, xianfeng... Just wow...

BTW Pheonix - we're talking about SIM CITY (SNES version specifically) NOT THE SIMS...
Not just the SNES version, but also Sim City 64 released only in Japan for the 64DD, not to be confused with SimCity 2000 for N64.

Dr. Wright also appeared as Mr. Write in Link's Awakening/DX and Dr. Left in Oracle of Seasons and the Minish Cap.

I'm working on Dr. Wright for MUGEN, but the palette-changing and programming are two of the toughest parts of creating characters for MUGEN.

parrothead

Smash Lord
*BUMP*

Here is Dr. Wright's look-alike in Zelda: Oracle of Seasons as "Dr. Left".

Also, I have a feeling that Dr. Wright's Plane Crash move isn't good enough. Which one of these things should I change it to?:

Traffic Jam (when roads are overpacked)
Crime (when there are few or no police stations)
Pollution (when there are too many buildings that exhaust smoke)
Earthquake (when the land vibrates)

OR

Bulldoze (when you demolish a building, turn beaches into extra land, etc.)

Shipwreck, Bowser Attack/Monster Attack, and Flash Flood won't fit.

Ryuuseiken Marth

Smash Apprentice
Not sure about this oine, parrothead. Dr. Wright runs into the same territory as Tom Nook, where it's helper/support character from a game that is not action based. I would like to see Dr. Wright featured in the game - I just can't see him as a playable. Very good moveset though.

Also, I'm not sure if you guys have caught on, but Sakurai himself likes obscure characters - I mean, how many of you have heard of Ice Climbers or Mr. G&W prior to the release of SSBM? Also, he said that he didn't want to include just the characters that are popular. Also McFox, I hate to break it, but two of parrothead's suggestions (Stafy and Demille) actually have just as good, if not higher, chances than yours (Geno). As a moderator, I think you should be a little more objective in your statements.
I sort of agree. Before I saw the Melee trailer, I thought about how Pit could fight utilizing the Bow and Arrows, and asking myself "How can Pit have regular attacks? All he uses is a bow", and then when the Melee trailer came out, I marveled at Sakurai's genius into giving Pit those 2 shortswords. I'm pretty sure that Dr Wright has a very good chance, and his fighting style would be a mix between Mario and Ness without PSI, and using disasters, or other Sim-related(like SimCopter, or creating Stuff, like Miis and City Zones) attacks as B attacks.

SimCity was among the first games released for the Virtual Console, he scored a place on the Toukouken, and Brawl is showing a lot of influence from games released during it's development, especially Nintendo DS games(Yoshi's Island, Star Fox Command, and Mario Kart are among the few games showcased as stages). Also, I didn't complain when Ganondorf took up the place of Ridley in Melee, or Dr Mario taking up Goroh's or Balloon Fighter's spot, why should you whine about a character "taking up space"? My only real reason to complain is if Waluigi and Toadette replaced Yoshi and Peach. Now THAT will be a travesty.

Top Bottom