• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Selection Screens

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
This is a thread I made for people to share their own takes on character selection screens. Also please list the characters in your screen, along with the characters removed from Melee (if you want).

With that, here's my very crappy one, made in Paint:

Characters (in order, left to right, top to bottom): Wario, Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, Yoshi, Waluigi, DK, Diddy, Captain Falcon, Samuraih Goroh, Pico, Link, Zelda, Wind Waker Link, Samus, Ridley, Dixie, Kirby, Meta Knight, DeDeDe, Fox, Falco, Krystal, Wolf, Ness, Paula, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Deoxys, Marth, Ike, Erika & Ephraim, Saleh, Jeff, Olimar, Louie, Pit, Ice Climbers, Mach Rider, Mr. Game & Watch, Balloon Fighter, Ray (from Disaster: Day of Crisis) M-09 (from Project HAMMER), Snake, Tails, Sonic, Shadow, Bomberman.

Removed Characters: Dr. Mario, Young Link, Pichu, and Roy.

EDIT: This is the same screen, but just with a different background, just to make look less like the Melee screen. It's not a very creative diffference, but who cares.

Plus, forgot about posting the names of the characters (unless you want to).

And one last thing: I am taking any suggestions for backgrounds for a new screen.

Feel free to post any other fake screens you want to too.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Well... I just realized something. The guy, Sakuri or whatever his name is, said that there would be forty characters definately. How is he going to fit all forty in one screen?

SMB PORTAL

Smash Ace
This is good, but don't you think they will change the backround or stle at all. It seems very likely, but I like what you did with it!

-SMB

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
SMB PORTAL said:
This is good, but don't you think they will change the backround or stle at all.
I would change it, but it'd be a little too hard for me to do, seeing as I'm using Paint.

EDIT: Nevermind that, I just changed it.

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
Nice, I guess, annoying1359. It was a little hard to tell what some of them were, as the pictures were pretty small, but they were pretty good.

-Mace-Solo-

Smash Apprentice
You notice in how each of the games that you're a hand that places a token over the character you want? I think for Brawl that that has a good chance of changing. I think you'll point and click with the Wii remote instead. That means if this theory of mine came about, each of the character's box's would be a little bigger just so it'd be easier. But hey, that's just for that theory.

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking something along the lines of that would happen to, just so it would make it easier. Especially if you have like a huge screen.

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
Originally Posted by VgtPrncfllSyns
Doubt it, since we're using the old controllers anywho.
Was that ever actually confirmed, I thought Sakuri just hinted at it. Besides, it's not like they can't use the shell and have the be able to point still.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
I tried looking for a similar topic, but couldn't find it... but I do know we have a topic regarding this. Oh well. I made one a day or so ago, and this topic is here, so I am going to post it.

I saved it as .jpeg and the quality isn't as good... but oh well. I have a slow connection and I don't feel like redo-ing it. You can at least get an idea of what I did.

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
That's pretty good. It's better than mine. I like it.

I just remembered I made this. I made it for the old SSBR thread. It's really bad. Check it out.
My Really Old Selection Screen I made In Microsoft Word

The Characters are: Doctor Mario, Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, Yoshi, DK, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Falco, Fox, Ness, Ice Climbers, Kirby, Samus, Link, Young Link, Waluigi, Pichu, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Mr. Game & Watch, Marth, Roy, Wario, Krystal, Wolf, Tricky, Dixie, Diddy, Koopa Troopa, Toad, Space Pirate, Pit, Ridley, Orbulon, Saria, Olimar, Hammer Bros. Samuraih Goroh, Pico, Metaknight, Waddle Dee, DeDeDe, Mona, Balloon Fighter, Paula, Poo, Louie, Eliwood, and Ash.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
annoying1359 said:
I only saw 2. Sorry dude, but the second one is a 10 on the suck scale
EDIT: Mostly character selection
EDIT2: Im going to rate Krockocola's
Characters:Good but who the hell is Zeke?
# of Characters: 35, not bad
Look: Original. Not the best but still good.
Organiazation: Not bad. I say move pacman to the far wall to clump hidden characters together.
Bad Characters: Zeke-Find someone else, anyone else(I heard Bowser Jr. Was confermed :p)
Afriwhhatshisname(the guy Next to Ganondorf): Theres better Zelda characters so I say go with someone else. I'd say Tingle but Im alone on that one.
Zero Suit Samus: She's in the game but not as her own character, so replace her spot with another Metroid character
Lastly I'd say take out Pac-man. He said only 1-2 more 3rd party, and although not a bad choice, I'd just go with an FE character or a character like Olimar, one that will be alone in his franchise.

Overall not bad.

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
SmashChu said:
Zero Suit Samus: She's in the game but not as her own character, so replace her spot with another Metroid character.
and where do you get that? If you were talking about "under certain conditions, Samus will "remove" her Power Suit." from the offical brawl site, they ment int he metroid games not in brawl.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
"This isn't a pure character addition. Rather, under certain conditions, Samus will "remove" her Power Suit. Whoa! That's a woman under there!"

Word for word off the Smash bros site.

Thats why I say she shouldn't be on the character selection screen since is a transformation of Samus.
You took it totally out of context. It clearly states that she will become Zero Suit Samus. Thats why there the word "rather" there.

EDIT: 100th post

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
SmashChu said:
"This isn't a pure character addition. Rather, under certain conditions, Samus will "remove" her Power Suit. Whoa! That's a woman under there!"

Word for word off the Smash bros site.

Thats why I say she shouldn't be on the character selection screen since is a transformation of Samus.
You took it totally out of context. It clearly states that she will become Zero Suit Samus. Thats why there the word "rather" there.

EDIT: 100th post
it never says "Samus will change from regular samus and Zero Suit Samus on command" so no it doesnt clear state. Like I said, chances are it was talking about in the metroid games.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Fine I'll reword the sentence.

Rather then a pure character addition, Samus will remove her suit under cetain condition

Under certain condtion Samus will remove her suit, rather then a pure character addition(ok this sentence was a little wonky)

Not only that but the Unbeleviable post has a poll stating "How will Samus become Zero Suit Samus". There is no way its talking about other Metroid games. Also I never said she will change on command since I clearly posted "under certain conditions" she will change.

Im sorry dude but if this dosn't get through then theres no help for you. It should have been obvious when it sayed "This isn't a pure character addition".

anark-e

Smash Rookie
commonyoshi said:
Well... I just realized something. The guy, Sakuri or whatever his name is, said that there would be forty characters definately. How is he going to fit all forty in one screen?
what an unusual thing to make into my first post on a forum, oh well...

anyway, can you point me to your source of Sakurai claiming 40 characters? I haven't seen/heard/read that yet and I'd like to

- ark

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
SmashChu said:
Im sorry dude but if this dosn't get through then theres no help for you. It should have been obvious when it sayed "This isn't a pure character addition".
Ok, I agree with Zodiak. It does state that, however, I believe he was reffering to the fact that Samus is already in the game they will just be changing her up a little for Zamus.

It's the same concept for Mario/Dr. Mario. Doc IS Mario, so his addition to Melee wasn't a "pure character addition" either. This point is strengthened by Doc being Mario's clone.

By "under certain conditions" I (personally) think Sakurai ment something along the lines of you having to play Samus somwhere in the game and use her super. The first time you use it, the suit breaks off and Zamus challenges you (playing as Samus) to a fight. If you win, she's unlocked.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
ok...i mean, charecter select screens when i said "like 3 of those."
none are by ME.
so...

Sniffnoy

Smash Cadet
There one of these going around a while ago that put the characters on a hex grid, extending down along the sides of the P1-P4 boxes, that had 71 total; does anyone know where to find it?

Stryks

Smash Hero
Kereokacola said:
I tried looking for a similar topic, but couldn't find it... but I do know we have a topic regarding this. Oh well. I made one a day or so ago, and this topic is here, so I am going to post it.

I saved it as .jpeg and the quality isn't as good... but oh well. I have a slow connection and I don't feel like redo-ing it. You can at least get an idea of what I did.

I like this image, Deoxys and Dark Samus needs to be in there tough

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

I used the old picture from a website to do this. I did fix White Ranger's name(it originally said White R.), and redid Knux's picture since his eyes weren't right

Edit: Here's the character list in exact order: Knuckles the Echidna(S&K), Diablos(FF8), Fulgore(KI), Yoshi(SMW), DK(DK), Pikachu(PKMN), White Ranger(MMPR), Perfect Cell(DBZ), Megaman(MM1), Ness(Earthbound), Mario(DK), Samus(Metroid), Link(LOZ), Sonic the Hedgehog(STH1), Metal Greymon(DW1), Bowser(SMB), Fox(SF64), Captain Falcon(FZ), Ridley(Metroid), Shadow Link(Z2AOL), Garland(FF1)

S&K means Sonic & Knuckles
FF8 and FF1 means Final Fantasy 8 and Final Fantasy 1 respectively
KI means Killer Instinct
SMW means Super Mario World
DK means Donkey Kong
PKMN obviously means Pokémon
MMPR means Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers
DBZ means Dragon Ball Z
MM1 means Megaman 1
STH1 means Sonic The Hedgehog 1(Genesis)
DW1 means Digimon World 1
SMB means Super Mario Bros.
SF64 means Star Fox 64
FZ means F-Zero
Z2AOL means Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
LOZ means Zelda

Whew...long edit.

Edit again...I forgot Link!

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Sorry Stryks, that would ruin the character line-up I have shown here.

Didn't you notice the lack of Pokemon in my screen? EXACTLY. I only want a few Pokemon in Brawl, and Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Meowth are popular, and enough to cover the Pokemon genre. Honestly, more than three is too much, we need room for OTHER characters.

And we ALREADY have two Samus', why on earth add another? Pointless.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Kereokacola said:
Hay you have 2 Samus's on your image. Just saying.

It's the same concept for Mario/Dr. Mario. Doc IS Mario, so his addition to Melee wasn't a "pure character addition" either. This point is strengthened by Doc being Mario's clone.

By "under certain conditions" I (personally) think Sakurai ment something along the lines of you having to play Samus somwhere in the game and use her super. The first time you use it, the suit breaks off and Zamus challenges you (playing as Samus) to a fight. If you win, she's unlocked.
Thats a little ubserd. Why in earth would he do something so secific in there. Also Dr. Mario is a pure character addition. He is saying that Zamus will not be her own character, much like sheik is. The reason I say Dr. Mario is pure is because he's selectable from the line-up. Also Miyamoto has stated that Dr. Mario does not fit in with the Mario canon. For all we know they ccould be two different people.

Its ******** to think he was talking about the games there. Here is the whole paragraph.
This isn't a pure character addition. Rather, under certain conditions, Samus will "remove" her Power Suit. Whoa! That's a woman under there!

Now for once look at this paragraph. Lets try and combine the last 2 sentences
Rather under sertain condisions Samus will take off her suit; whoa theres a woman under there.
Theres a woman under there, rather under sertain conditions, Samus will remove her power suit.

Since I had to use a simicoln on one of them, these two sentences are not related persay. Now.....
Rather then a pure character addition, Samus will remove her suit under sertain conditions.

These two sentense can be inverted and combinded perfectly. Not only that, but the word "Rather" is used for combining secntences. The conclusion is that he did talk about SSBB and then jump to how Samus can take off her suit in Metroid. Thats impossible, expecally if you look at it in the context of the inverted sentence. Include that with the fact that thre is a poll in this forum on how Samus will transform and that in the video she transformes by removing the suit.

I know its summer, BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, THINK!!!!!!!!!!

ArichTheViking

Smash Apprentice
Kereokacola said:
Sorry Stryks, that would ruin the character line-up I have shown here.

Didn't you notice the lack of Pokemon in my screen? EXACTLY. I only want a few Pokemon in Brawl, and Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Meowth are popular, and enough to cover the Pokemon genre. Honestly, more than three is too much, we need room for OTHER characters.

Pokemon is the biggest franchise of the last 10 years, and its cast consists of HUNDREDS of stylized fighters who already have movesets. Count on more than 3 Pokemon, and don't complain about there being more than 3, because Pokemon has earned it.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Oh, please. Why not just make it a Pokemon fighting game then?

I could care less if Pokemon is "popular", but we must remember, this is not a Pokemon game. 3 is a large number as far as character selection goes. Sakurai himself stated that they will "balance" the character selection. Adding Pokemon by the pound is far from that.

Pull your head out of your *** and think bigger.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Hay you have 2 Samus's on your image. Just saying.

Thats a little ubserd. Why in earth would he do something so secific in there. Also Dr. Mario is a pure character addition. He is saying that Zamus will not be her own character, much like sheik is. The reason I say Dr. Mario is pure is because he's selectable from the line-up. Also Miyamoto has stated that Dr. Mario does not fit in with the Mario canon. For all we know they ccould be two different people.

Its ******** to think he was talking about the games there. Here is the whole paragraph.
This isn't a pure character addition. Rather, under certain conditions, Samus will "remove" her Power Suit. Whoa! That's a woman under there!

Now for once look at this paragraph. Lets try and combine the last 2 sentences
Rather under sertain condisions Samus will take off her suit; whoa theres a woman under there.
Theres a woman under there, rather under sertain conditions, Samus will remove her power suit.

Since I had to use a simicoln on one of them, these two sentences are not related persay. Now.....
Rather then a pure character addition, Samus will remove her suit under sertain conditions.

These two sentense can be inverted and combinded perfectly. Not only that, but the word "Rather" is used for combining secntences. The conclusion is that he did talk about SSBB and then jump to how Samus can take off her suit in Metroid. Thats impossible, expecally if you look at it in the context of the inverted sentence. Include that with the fact that thre is a poll in this forum on how Samus will transform and that in the video she transformes by removing the suit.

I know its summer, BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, THINK!
And he's telling ME to think...?

Well, you have your theories and I have mine. Let's just leave it at that, shall we?

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
Very neat, but "Ashnard" (whoever he is), his character art looks out of place, and the quality is bad.

But other than that, very, very impressive. Has a "Wii" type feel to use, good use of the whites and grey's.

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
Kereokacola said:
Very neat, but "Ashnard" (whoever he is), his character art looks out of place, and the quality is bad.

But other than that, very, very impressive. Has a "Wii" type feel to use, goo use of the whites and grey's.
I swear to god thats the only picture of him. I used levels and sharpen a lot to remove some of the pixelness. I had to grab the potrait from ytmnd.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
If it were me, I just would have used another character... I know there are more popular characters around. Like I mentioned, I don't even know who that is and I have played many games in my day.

nomis

Smash Journeyman
Zodiak-Lucien: Although I don't like some of your character choices, I commend you of your valiant effort in making a character selection screen. Very good, very good.
Ferro De Lupe said:
And he's telling ME to think...?
You forgot "sertain condisions." Man, that was hard to type.

kaid

Smash Master
Other than a few personal character choices (Deathborn should be S.Goh, Blazikin should be Lucario from Diamond/Pearl, and WTF is Ashnard?) I think your screen is exceptionally well thought out. All the distant clones are kept while the near clones are merged.

A few points, though. First, I believe it was mentioned ZS Samus is samus after certian (unspecified) events happen on the battlefield. If this is true, than they only need one character slot. Slide the Kirby people to the left,and fit Krystal on the same line. (What were you thinking! lol)

If you pull Ashnard, you can swap people and put the DK crew on the top line with the rest of the Mario people, including Wario.

Top Bottom