• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Suggestion: Ephraim (Fire Emblem)

D

Deleted member

OK. No prizes for guessing who I'm suggesting this time.

Since this is a separate character suggestion, I don't think it should be classified as part of the Fire Emblem Character Discussion. Please don't lock this, mods.

Who was Ephraim?

Ephraim starred in Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, the second Fire Emblem game to be released in the west, and the eight in Japan. Ephraim was the one of major characters in the story. Basically, you had to play to a certain point as his twin, Erika, then decide whether you wanted to follow Ephraim's path through the story. I wont describe FE:SS in any more detail cause I might ruin the story, but its a great game.

Moveset (by Son of TMOG, from shock/horror, Gamefaqs!)

Standard Attacks

A - Thrusts forward quickly with his lance.

A,A - Thrusts forward twice with his lance.

A,A,A - Thrusts forward three times with his lance, the third strike being slower but more powerful.

Side+A - Pulls back for a moment, then thrusts forward with his lance. Knocks the enemy back.

Down+A - Sweeps the ground in front of him with his lance.

Up+A - Swings his lance above his head.

Smash Attacks

Smash Side+A - As Side+A, but capable of charging the move, and obviously more powerful. Fire damage.

Smash Down+A - Spins his lance close to the ground from front to back. Can ignite opponents.

Smash Up+A - Jabs his lance directly above him. If held fro long enough, fire will burst from it.

Air Attacks

A - Swings the bottom of his lance in front of him. Also capable of striking opponents above him with the head of the lance.

Forward+A - Swings his lance in front of him from above his head. Also capable of striking opponents above him.

Back+A - Stabs the air behind him with his lance.

Up+A - Performs a midair flip-kick. Can hit opponents on all sides.

Down+A - Drops more quickly, with his lance pointed below him.

Throws

A - Punches the opponent.

Up - Catapults his opponent into the air with his lance.

Down - Slams the foe to the ground.

Forward - Places his foot on the opponent's chest and kicks him forward. Sends the opponent flying farther than his other throws.

Back - Swings the opponent behind him with his lance.

Special Attacks

B - Charges his lance for an attack that breaks through shields (ala Marth). If you charge the attack for the full duration (roughly three seconds), you can also throw your opponent behind you by quickly moving the stick / controller in that direction.

Side+B - Rushes forward a short distance (about three character lengths), spinning his lance like a propeller.

Up+B - Leaps powerfully into the air with his lance held above him. This attack goes straight up, but you can steer it very slightly left or right.

Down+B - Counterattack; deflects the opponent's attack with his lance and then sends them flying far away. The timing has to be exact; the counter only lasts about 1/5 of a second.

Why should he be included in Brawl?

1. He's a major character. Therefore has more chance of getting in than his supporting
cast members, or villains.

2. Fire Emblem characters have been included before. Do I even need to mention whom?

3. He's a unique character. You don't get more unique than a spear wielder. Think about it. They're the rarest main heroes of all. Too often spearmen are sidelined, or included as the moot army: sloppy, cowardly, and weak in the extreme (not to mention they get utterly pwned by all sword-users). To put it bluntly, spearmen are the generic soldiers of most RPGs, and they're certainly never given the role of main character.

Ephraim isn't. Not to mention the fact that he actually looks cool, he's the got the right size and build for Brawl (not that it matters really, but I can't see a Tetris block entering). Also, the legendary spear Siegmund would actually be useful in combat (no Eliwood syndrome here). Ephraim is also the only lord ever to use spears before premotion (take that Sigurd!).

Thanks for reading this. LOL.

(PS if you haven't already read my previous suggestion, then what are you waiting for?
Ralph (Zelda): http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=74185)

feonline.simgames.net
feplanet.be
speeddemosarchive.com

GenG

Smash Lord
Ephraim is very cool, his game is one of the rare "Gaiden" games in the FE saga with a world map and more freedom to move between locations and the spear is indeed a unique feature... But since Marth's tippers are a pain in the ***, I can't figure a guy wielding a 8-feet tall weapon in Brawl.

Eirika is pretty interesting too; Actually, she is the only lord in the whole series who starts a fencer and keeps the fencing style even promoted. All fencing lords turned into slashers after promoting.

I'm for both, but their chances are slim in comparison with the heavyweights: Lyndis (USA), Sigurd (Japan) and Ike.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Hold up, isn't Ike supposed to be in Path of Radiance?

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
Ephraim is cool. Having him, Hector and Marth; you can have the Weapon triangle of Fire Emblem. But I'd rather have some female lords first (like Lyn, Eirika or maybe the magician girl from FE Wii).

bluekitsune13

Smash Journeyman
Having a spear wielder would definatley be unique, because only his tippers would do signifigant damage. It would force you to keep enemies at a distance. Though I doubt he would get in, seeing as he is overshadowed by more popular characters. But still I think he would be a cool addition.

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
Ephraim would bring some diversity to the Fire Emblem part of the roster, no doubt. But with all the popularity shifted to Lyn, Sigurd, and Ike, his chances of making it to the Brawl roster are quite slim.

Lyn comes first, then Hector, then Ephraim.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Not just diversity to the Fire Emblem section, but the game as a whole. And putting him in is like killing 2 birds with 1 stone, because they could make Eirika his clone, except that since she uses a sword, all her moves would be faster, but weaker versions of his, so we would end up with the next Falco and Ganondorf. Clones that aren't that clone-y

D

Deleted member

Why can't Erika be a clone of Lyn?

Sigurd is massively overrated.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hell yeah Ephraim would make a badass character! He's my favorite lord after Ike. Hector and Lyn come to a close 3rd. He's using a lance which makes him even more intressting. Am I the only one who thinks its a hes mounted when he promotes?

Manashima

Smash Apprentice
Sigurd uses lances and swords, he doesnt promote atall like marth so Ephraims not the first to use lances unpromoted

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I just beat this game yesterday.:) I liked his character more than Erika's. She was always crying about this and that. How lame. Ephraim was always there to knock her out of it. The spear would be cool. It shouldn't be any longer than Marth's sword though. Unless it had major lag and start time like DK's smash.
Edit: Why is Ike saying, "Holy crap!"? Look at his unbelievable stats.

D

Deleted member

Necro-bump. (I won't let this topic die.)

Ephraim's spear does have lag in game. Look at the way he uses it as a Lord. There's a lot of difference between the fluid motion of Erika's sword and his spear.

I'm currently working on a Hector topic, so watch out for that too.

Dr.ROC

Smash Apprentice
O hell yeah, hector is awsome, (relizes he was distracted) yeah Ephraim is giga and should def. be in brawl along w/ ike and maybe soren or black night.

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Hecotr is always gonna be my first coice for Brawl but i have never seen such a close second as Ephraim. They both have very unique weapons it's just to me Axe users are always played down.

Wallmaster

Smash Apprentice
It would be interesting to see how a lance would work in smash bros. I think Ephraim would be one of the slower characters, though. And better at strong attacks than damaging ones.

LostAddict

Smash Apprentice
I'd love to see Ephraim in this game, definately the most unique recent Lord. Out of all the Fire Emblem characters, I'm hoping he gets added the most. Fighting with a spear would be really unique and interesting, and plus if Krystal's added with the spear it would be fun to have a duel. We need more unique weapons in Brawl. Swords get kind of tiring.

D

Deleted member

It would be interesting to see how a lance would work in smash bros. I think Ephraim would be one of the slower characters, though. And better at strong attacks than damaging ones.
Yup, but he doesn't have to be amazingly slow. Its a light spear he wields, not a jousting lance.

For general speed, I was thinking of something around Link's speed in Melee.

MikaRabidKitsune

Smash Journeyman
Yup, but he doesn't have to be amazingly slow. Its a light spear he wields, not a jousting lance.

For general speed, I was thinking of something around Link's speed in Melee.
I agree. I'd hate to see Ephraim as slow as Bowser just because of a weapon's weight. Give him something light and durable.

B-B-B-B-Bump for Ephraim! <3

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
I definitley want Ephraim. Ive always loved grounded spear wielders(IE I think Matrim Cauthon is the best character ever), and Nephenee isn't an option. I'm also of the opinion no non-mario game shold havefour characters, and this hurt's Ephraims chances, unless Roy is removed. Then i can see him coming in.

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
Edit: Why is Ike saying, "Holy crap!"? Look at his unbelievable stats.
It's hard to see it, but after looking closer you can see that Ike's stats are divide up into three; he still does normal-ish damage, hit, and crit against all three, it's just almost combined so it seems like one.

I've only ever played Sacred Stones, so I can't really comment on if any new FE characters should make it in... Personally, I'm rooting for a Golden Sun character more. Isaac or Felix, I would love to play around with them and their psynergy...

xianfeng

Smash Hero
I've recently realised why Ephraim is so very unlikely. FE8 is hated because it sucks so bad. The story is boring and cliche, there is no character development, difficulty? There is none! All the units are god like or at least decent. It's just a plain horrible game and both western and Japanese audiences disliked it.

Ephraim is one of the least likely FE characters for Brawl.

D

Deleted member

If they're all decent then what's the problem? Seriously, rating a charcter based on how well he was ingame is a rubbish idea.

Roy sucked. Majorly.

And Ephraim has a unique weapon usage too. I can imagine him ingame, if only because he he is the highest ranking solo spear weilder in FE history.

pirkid

Smash Lord
Ephraim is another FE character that is almost confirmed if their letting in more FE peoples.
Lyn against Eirika, Lyn hands down.
Hector cause of his axe-ness.

And Ephraim. He uses a spear, of Beory's sake. How is he not different and special?

Vote for Ephraim today!

DainBramaged

Smash Ace
If they're all decent then what's the problem? Seriously, rating a charcter based on how well he was ingame is a rubbish idea.

xianfeng wasn't rating EPHRAIM based on how HE was in game, he was rating the game itself, which yes, it did suck MAJORLY. Lyn, Hector and Eliwood (their fire emblem sold much more) all have better chances then Ephraim....which is pathetic, considering they have no chance either ( they are also dispised in Japan for the game simplicity)

RWB

Smash Ace
I'm hoping for Jeigan as a WTF spear character. I wouldn't have anything against Ephraim though.

Top Bottom