• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bad*** Lord of the Axe: Hector (Fire Emblem)

D

Deleted member

Ok. You might have read my previous topics, but I noticed there wasn't a topic for Hector, of Fire Emblem (The Blazing Sword). I think he deserves a seperate topic, don't you? Mods, don't lock this. Sorry in advance if there's already a Hector topic (I did search).

About Hector

Hector is one of the main characters in Fire Emblem (The Blazing Sword), or just FE7. He is a close friend of Eliwood, the lead character, and the next in line to rule the Lycian region of Ostia, after his brother. You can choose to take Hector's quest after Eliwood's is completed.

He also makes a small appearance in Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword (FE6, and yes, the one with Roy)
as the leader of the Lycian League's Army, but he is captured by Bern's forces and dies in prison.

Teh old Hector!!1!!one!! (Yup, the 'jolly blue giant')

Why Hector?

Are you sick of sword characters and the whinging that follows them about? Thought so.

Hector obviously uses an axe, and is a totally different to Marth or Roy. Hector seems to be much stronger and reckless in battle, maybe implying that he could be stronger in Brawl, but ingame he is usually the slowest of the main characters. Therefore, his power could be offset by his speed (but not in the realms of Ganondorf).

He has his own legendary weapon, Armads, the Axe of Thunder, and his personal axe Wolf Beil, so he is already fully equipped for combat. He could, in theory, use swords in Brawl as well, like in FE7, but I doubt that would be necessary.

You might also wanna think that Sakurai mentioned that he would try to include characters from games released outside of Japan mostly (no offence to the people who want Sigurd - he's cool too), and FE7 was the first FE game to be released outside of Japan. He's popular, well known, and original.

Update: Moveset!!
From various people on this topic. I just choose the moves I thought were good and original, no favouritism involved k?

A Attacks!! (All from CrotchCouncil)

A : A fast veticle chop with the axe, about a quarter of a circle in distance.

A > : A horizontal swing with his axe, quick and returns him to standing position quickly.

A ^ : Hector takes a verticle swing over his head. Medium knockback, low damage, fast.

A V : Hector completes a low, horizontal swing with his axe. Very high knockback, medium
damage.

Specials!!

B: Hector draws back his axe. Lighting races down the axehead, and it glows electric blue, then he swings it forwards. The shockwave generated spreads out over a good distance. Pressing B again generates a second, follow up, swing that again causes a shockwave. Hector shouts as he hits the opponent. Directly near an opponent the move will stike like Melee Link's forward smash. (From me lol)

B </> : Hector pushes his axe forward with his hands. It hits the opponent for minor damage. Hector then spins the axe head 90 degrees around, and uses one side to yank the opponent back at him. (From EnFerris)

B ^ : Hector takes an overhand, high, leaping swing with his Axe, causing his body to launch far vertically and a respectable horizontal distance. His axe can be embedded into the stage for a pullup ala Samus/Link due to his poor recovery. (From CrotchCouncil)

B V : Hector swings his Axe behind him, then in front of him, damaging and knocking back
similar to Charizard. This attack can be chained like DK's VB, but the longer it goes on, the faster the axe goes. At first, you have a pretty big window to hit Hector, so he has to time the attack right. Once he gets going, the only thing for it is to avoid him. (From EnFerrisl)

Smashes!! (From CC)

Smash </> : A foreward verticle smash with his Axe, comprable to Marth's.

Smash ^ : Hector takes a long horizontal swing over his head; an anti-air move. Can hit opponents standing on either side of him. Low knockback/medium damage.

Smash v : Hector takes a spinning, low, horizontal swipe with his axe. The attack is fast and has medium knockback, high damage, but there is managable lag after it is over.

Dash Attack!! (From CC)

Dash Attack: Hector shoulder charges with slight knockback and low damage, at the end of
the charge, Hector takes a valiant swing with his axe, producing a sheik-dash-move-like effect and a large swing and high knockback if sweetspotted. (From CC)

Throws! (You should know by now :))
(Hector holds his large axe with one hand, so his throws will be a typical decent grab.)

Back : Hector throws you behind him with force, good horizontal distance.

Forward : Hector shoves you away, foreward. Distance depends greatly on damage%.

Up : Hector winds up and launches you upwards, a bit forewards as well.

Down : Holds the opponent in the air, transfers the opponet to his axe, then slams them into the ground.

What more do I need to say? Oh: http://hectorspinnaz.ytmnd.com/

I have way too much free time :(.

bbb

Smash Champion
First Post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're sure this topic doesn't exist already, it seems like it would. Hector is cool by me, he was the best lord in the game after all, and he uses an axe, which would add some variatyto the game's weapon fighters. Plus he was in the same game as my favorite FE character, Canas!

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Yea Plan 9, CANAS FTW!!!!

<cough> Back on topic. Hector was really really cool. He was the strongest of the three, and since he was my only axe user (not a big axe fan, my rosters are always full of mages, archers, and swordsmen) so he didn't get skimped when it came to the weapon department. For some reason, my Lyn actually got WORSE when I equipped her Sol Katti, and Eliwood was horrible (though I like him though) and I had to use Hector to kill everyone.

3 CHEERS FOR HECTOR.,,,, AND 3 CHEERS FOR BLAZING SWORD IN GENERAL SINCE IT IS THE BEST OF THE 3 ENGLISH FE'S.

bbb

Smash Champion
Monocles rock, shamans rock, Canas rocks.

Canas for Brawl.

Anyways, I want to see a character with an axe, one with a lance, and maybe one with a great sword or something. Hell, I just want as much variation in Brawl as is humanly possible. :psycho:

Edit: also the old one is so pimp, that it's ridiculous.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
Characters from Fire Emblem should be limited to the lords when being considered for Brawl. I think Hector should make it in, but Lynn and Eliwood were more of the main characters of that particular Fire Emblem so they stand a better chance.

bbb

Smash Champion
The Basement Dweller said:
Characters from Fire Emblem should be limited to the lords when being considered for Brawl. I think Hector should make it in, but Lynn and Eliwood were more of the main characters of that particular Fire Emblem so they stand a better chance.
Actually if you play through the game twice, the second time Hector is the main character. (or something like that)

Also Canas pwns, he probably won't make it into Brawl, but I love him anyway.

bbb

Smash Champion
Eliwood sucked though... Even more so when he got the horse. He was so dissapointing.

bbb

Smash Champion
Yes but Eliwood is Roy's father, so there'd be no point having the both of them in, so they should either go with Lyn or Hector, Hector would be better due to his axe which makes his fighting style different in a more obvious way .

D

Deleted member

Kabyk-Greenmyst said:
Yea Plan 9, CANAS FTW!!!!

<cough> Back on topic. Hector was really really cool. He was the strongest of the three, and since he was my only axe user (not a big axe fan, my rosters are always full of mages, archers, and swordsmen) so he didn't get skimped when it came to the weapon department. For some reason, my Lyn actually got WORSE when I equipped her Sol Katti, and Eliwood was horrible (though I like him though) and I had to use Hector to kill everyone.

3 CHEERS FOR HECTOR.,,,, AND 3 CHEERS FOR BLAZING SWORD IN GENERAL SINCE IT IS THE BEST OF THE 3 ENGLISH FE'S.
Eliwood and Lyn were **** with their legendary weapons. Sol Katti's weight was something stupid like 14, meaning Lyn could hardly lift it and Eliwood had a similar problem. Armads was alright with Hector, simply because he had a large enough CON anyway.

And yeah, Hector is badass. But I did put spoiler tags up there...

Myrmidon

Smash Cadet
L2TP and I had this very same conversation a while back, right down to what attacks he may have... (Armads' Critical for the up B, as well as a lot of cool generic axe swings, and punches...maybe even throwing the axe, as one attack)

I could see him as being about as slow as Bowser, though, and falling horribly fast, but he'd very likely be among the heaviest of heavyweights, so it may balance out nicely...

regardless; here's hoping!

Konoichi

Smash Rookie
Just some possibilities for B moves, off the top of my head:

^B - Hector liked to jump in most of his attacks. Maybe he could be Kirby-ish here and swing up quickly and slam the axe down with a shockwave or something.

B - Not sure. Maybe like a big swing of the axe that pops opponents up. It'd have good horizontal reach.

>B - Reaches back with a hand and pulls out a Hand Axe! Which he hurls at the enemy. Kinda like Links boomerang, except I wouldn't let it go as far, personally.

vB - Quick axe slam to the ground that makes a shockwave and knocks people down/pops them up.

PZX2DN4F

Smash Apprentice
Hector is tha man. He would be great in Brawl. If any FE character it should be Hector, since he uses an axe. The young and old versions of him could be different skins. btw: canas is also cool.

zombie7775

Smash Lord
Hector would be a great addition to the game. An axe weilder is what it needs I think. That way there are still swordsman but also if you dont like swordsman you can be Hector. I agree that if Hector isnt in, then it should be Lyn. I also think that Hectors younger form would be better. That way he is faster.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Another good old person to add to my old people thread.

Hector is one of the good American/UK FE lords(you know, because Eliwood sucks)along with Ike, Lyn, and Ephraim. Unique weapon, another heavyweight character, and blue hair(which makes him strong).

I just hope he uses the Armads, that was a good weapon.

Great thread WindGuru.

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
Although I have limited experience in Fire Emblem Games, what I have heard about Hector has convinced me that he should replace Roy in Brawl and Isaac in my personal roster.
By the way...
>B Hector pushes his axe forward with on hand. It hits the opponent for minor damage. Hector then spin the axe head 90 degrees around, and uses one side to yank the opponent back at him, and then punches them into the ground.
VB HEctor swings his Axe behind him, then in front of him, damaging and knocking back similar to Charizard. This attack can be chained like DK's VB, but the longer it goes on, the faster the axe goes. At first, one have a pretty big window to hit Hector, so he has to time the attack Right right. Once he gets going, the only thing for it is to avoid him.
B Jams the top of his axe into an opponent's throat. Slams them into the ground.
^B USes the weight of his axe to push him upward, then spins his axe very quickly to remain in the air momentarily.

Profanity

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BHC-Prof
Someone mentioned Hector being slower than Bowser. Hector is not a slow person: He often ends up with a very respectable speed, and even in his attack animations, they are quick and purposeful strikes...

However, I could easily see him as one of the heaviest characters, if not THEE heaviest, and his actual RUN SPEED may be a bit slower, but his attacks have never had that problem.

That said, a move set.

Specials

B> : Hector shoulder charges with slight knockback and low damage, at the end of the charge, Hector takes a valiant swing with his axe, producing a sheik-dash-move-like effect and a large swing and high knockback if sweetspotted. This can be used in the air: It will move Hector closer to the stage, but the charge portion will be erased.

Bv : Hector takes a full body swing with his Axe verticly directly in front of him. Causes medium knockback/damage. If hit, the oppoent is held beneath the axe ala Bowser's throw. Can be used in air, will cause Hector to plumet to the stage. If an opponent is caught, they can be thrown backwards by being flipped with the Axe, or shoved forewards with it, or launched straight into the air to be juggled. Finally, the down throw would be for Hector to elbow drop the victim. None of these should produce chain throws.

B : Hector's axe is thrown, slow projectial, medium damage, high priority. Now from this point I see some options. 1) I don't know if it would be too difficult to pull off, but his Axe can land on the stage/wall/ceiling and be embedded in it, so Hector must retrieve it. Other characters may not lift it. 2) He just receives it back automatically ala Link's boomerang.

B^ : Hector takes aan overhand, high, leaping swing with his Axe, causing his body to launch far vertically and a respectable horizontal distance. His axe can be embedded into the stage for a pullup ala Samus/Link due to his poor recovery.

A Attacks

A> : A foreward verticle smash with his Axe, comprable to Marth's.

A tilt> : A horizontal swing with his axe, quick and returns him to standing position quickly.

A : A fast veticle chop with the axe, about a quarter of a circle in distance.

Av : Hector takes a spinning, low, horizontal swipe with his axe. The attack is fast and has medium knockback, high damage, but there is managable lag []iafter it is over[/i].

A : tiltV Hector completes a low, horizontal swing with his axe. Very high knockback, medium damage.

A^ : Hector takes a long horizontal swing over his head, anti-air move. Can hit opponents standing on either side of him. Low knockback/medium damage.

A : tilt^ Hector takes a verticle swing over his head. Medium knockback, low damage, fast.

Throws.

Hector holds his large axe with one hand, so his throws will be a typical decent grab.

Back : Hector throws you behind him with force, good horizontal distance.

Foreward : Hector shoves you away, foreward. Distance depends greatly on damage%.

Up : Hector winds up and launches you upwards, a bit forewards as well.

Down : Hector trips you over his own leg, causing you to fall prown/bounce off the ground according to Damage%.

GenG

Smash Lord
This is how I picture Hector: Slow to average speed, heavy and with important startups in most of his moves.

Profanity

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BHC-Prof
This is how I picture Hector: Slow to average speed, heavy and with important startups in most of his moves.
Important startups as in PRIORITY or LAG?

Priority is good, and makes sense.

Lag makes for bottom tier, and does not make sense.

D

Deleted member

Hector does not have to be laggy. Cervantes from SC would seem at first to be a slow powerhouse, based on his size and weapons. However, he is arguably one of the best characters in the entire series, possessing blindingly fast moves.

I doubt Hector will be physicaly fast (running speed etc.), but his moves could be of medium-high speed, and others could be performed in the air, then cancelled (like Falco's blaster). Perhaps ground lag can be entirely canceled in Brawl.

I am currently trying to combine moveset suggestions for the main page. Thanks.

GenG

Smash Lord
Important startups as in PRIORITY or LAG?

Priority is good, and makes sense.

Lag makes for bottom tier, and does not make sense.
I was thinking about priority, but Hector's smashes (and other finishing moves) should have a low startup in exchange for amazing blows. Axes = wide swings = windups. Because Hector's style is mostly berseker, his moves in Brawl should show that.

Profanity

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BHC-Prof
I was thinking about priority, but Hector's smashes (and other finishing moves) should have a low startup in exchange for amazing blows. Axes = wide swings = windups. Because Hector's style is mostly berseker, his moves in Brawl should show that.
I can agree about a bit of lag(Comprable to C.Falcon's Elbow Smash) for his finishers, but lag is HORRIBLE in Smash Bros. Speed typically wins, period, and Hector doesn't deserve to be stuck with the "Big Slow 'Tard Syndrome" effect that keeps characters on low/bottom tier. He isn't slow by nature.

THANKYOU FOR THE CREDIT, Op, but you misquoted me on like 2 moves. The DownB one you posted is not mine, and I think there is another as well. = )

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I changed yours a bit. Some seemed a little overpowered, and I changed one of the throws to a dash attack.

Profanity

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BHC-Prof
But that's the thing, the Down + B Special is not mine at all, it's EnFerris'. = ) You should give the credit for it to him.

D

Deleted member

Oops. When i was doing this I was quite tired, so sorry. Thanks for informing me.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Sounds like a good idea, better than Eliwood the pansy, but I kind-of doubt it because the GBA Fire Emblem lords are disliked in Japan, and I'm sure we'd get Ike and Sigurd before this guy.

D

Deleted member

Another thing that could affect his chances is the fact that
he dies in FE6. This could lead to the ultimate mind**** for a returning Roy in Brawl :p.

Profanity

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BHC-Prof
Sounds like a good idea, better than Eliwood the pansy, but I kind-of doubt it because the GBA Fire Emblem lords are disliked in Japan, and I'm sure we'd get Ike and Sigurd before this guy.
Actually, Hector is very well liked in Japan. They do not like the GBA GAMES, but they like the characters fine.

Another thing that could affect his chances is the fact that
he dies in FE6. This could lead to the ultimate mind**** for a returning Roy in Brawl :p.
The Real Hector is the young Hector. FE6 would not affect his chances at all.

Top Bottom