• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Read THIS before asking how to do something - Terms and Advanced Tech

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
craiigg edit: tidied up a little =p

Anyone who wants to add to this list, just post, and I'll edit the original.

Main Advanced Techniques/Terms

Short hop
Pressing the jump button for a short amount of time results in a much shorter jump than usual.

Teching
Pressing Z just before you land from getting hit to make you character get up. Holding left or right will make your character roll along the ground.

Z-cancel
Pressing Z as you hit the ground after an aerial attack to cancel landing lag. Most noticeable with Link's sword plant.

Nair, Fair, Uair, Dair, Bair
Refers to neutral, forward, up, down, and back air. Also used to reference tilts (strong attacks), smashes, and throws (irrelevent in SSB).

ANA, AFA, AUA, ADA, ABA

Aerial Neutral A, Aerial Forward A, etc.

Edgehog
Holding onto an edge so an enemy cannot grab it to recover. Unlike in SSBM, rolling does no edgehog. However, at damage percents above 100, it takes your character longer to roll back onto the stage, edgehogging for longer than normal.

Ledgehop
Falling from the ledge and jumping immediately. Looks like you jumped from the ledge.

Edgeguard

Attacking your opponent as they are coming back.

Spike/Meteor

An attack that makes the opponent fly straight down. Example - Ness Dair.

Fastfall
Pressing down after the apex of your jump to fall much faster than normal. Unlike SSBM, you cannot fast fall in the middle of a move.

DI
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=80947

Shine
Fox's reflector. Because of it's set knockback, it is often used for low percentage KOs, called shine spikes. In SSB, shines aren't cancelled by jumping, but by touching the ground.
moogle said:
So, to shine cancel, press jump then immediately down-B. Button-sliding is a good way to do this.

Taunt cancelling

moogle said:
A taunt is cancelled by the teetering animation when you're about to fall off a ledge. An easy way to do this: 1. Take C.Falcon to Hyrule Castle. 2. Jump on one of the three platforms in the middle of the stage. 3. Roll to one side of the platform. 4. Dash to the other side of the platform, but let go of the control stick as soon as possible (this is called an initial dash). 5. Right as you reach the ledge, press L, and the teetering animation should cancel your taunt animation. If you accidentally ran off the platform, you either held the control stick too long, or you forgot to roll to one side.
You can repeatedly taunt cancel by doing an initial dash left, L, initial dash right, L, etc. C.Falcon has the longest initial dash, so he's easiest to taunt cancel with. Other characters you can taunt cancel with: Mario, DK, Ness, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Yoshi (though it's hardest with Yoshi). Other characters *can* taunt cancel, but they don't make any sound.
Basically, pick a ledge, any ledge, and use Captain Falcon. Position yourself so that your initial dash will take you off the ledge. During your initial dash, press L, and you should hear whatever he says, but he'll run off the ledge.

Shield Grabbing
Holding you shield with Z, and grabbing by pressing A. Used against people who spam dash attacks and other ground attacks. Does half the damage of a regular grab.

Crouch Cancel
Crouching to cancel some of the knockback getting hit by an attack generates.

Double Jump Cancel (DJC)
Ness and Yoshi can cancel their double jump with an attack. Gets off aerial attacks even faster then short hopping and fastfalling. Yoshi has the added advantage of having resistance during his double jump.

rokimomi said:
Button sliding: Act of sliding your finger from one of the C buttons into the A or B button to perform the attack at the begining of your jump.
I'll do some testing soon on these dash ones...hopefully soon. I have my N64 hooked up to my downstairs TV, but my parents want me to study SAT... :urg:

Initial Dash
After the initial dash, it takes time for a chracter to stop the dash and turn around. However, during the initial dash, you can immediately turn around and dash in the opposite direction.

Dashdancing
A regular dashdance can be done at any time. There is a very small window (one or two frames) when a character is considered to be in a neutral position, meaning that if you choose to smash the stick in the opposite direction, the character will not slow down and turn around. They will instead break right into an initial dash in the opposite driection, significantly increasing the reaction time of the character.
~Cerrax

Initial Dashdancing
Chaining initial dashes in opposite directions.

Pivoting
You can dash in one direction and then smash the other direction while holding A. You immediately do a smash attack the direction you were evading from. You can can do tilts, neutral A, and even B attacks also but they are more difficult to execute. Basically to do tilts or other attacks besides the smash attack, you dash one way then you press the opposite direction on the control stick for a moment so you turn around but not enough so that you start dashing again. After the frame animation of turning around is complete, you can do any attack.
Thanks Sensei.

Dash Forward, quickly press backward [while turning], quickly jab or tilt.
Thanks ant-d.

Character Specific Advanced Techniques

Yoshi's Block Counter
ant-d said:
Block 4 frames before an attack hits you. Yoshi will get hit while in his invinicible frames, he will then go into his egg and break out quickly. Yoshi can then jump or grab to counter before the opponent has a chance to react.

Here it is:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMEhmB2cTYs
Attack out of Shield
You can Up-B or Usmash directly out of your shield. Most useful for characters without fast shield grabs, like Samus and Link.

Attack on the run
You can Up-B or Usmash in the middle of a dash.

Jigglypuff's Rising Pound
By holding up after the B input for pound, you can make Jigglypuff rise. This gives Jigglypuff substantial horizontal recovery.

Samus's Bomb Jump

Samus can increase her horizontal recovery slightly by using her bomb in midair.
*Note* If Samus hasn't used her second jump, it is erased after using a bomb.

Mario and Luigi's Tornado Recovery

Mashing B during their tornado moves (down-b) allows Mario and Luigi to gain height. Holding a direction will also cause them to move a bit diagonally. Improves vertical recovery and also horizontal recovery to some extent.

Sex Kick

Widely used to express neutral air. Why it's called a sex kick...

Razorcloud said:
a sex kick is called a sex kick because its something that you erect quickly and gets weaker over time.
...:laugh:

Changing direction in midair

Some characters cannot turn around in midair with their up-b, like Samus. However, she can use her charge shot instead to turn around.

Pikachu's Extended Vertical Up-b
Pikachu can extend his up-b : This variant allows Pikachu to do the extended up-b twice vertically.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=93395

Jab Cancel

Pikachu, Mario, Ness, and Luigi can cancel their jabs using a throw. Useful for throw setups.

Tiers
Tiers are based on current advanced tactics and the same blah blah blah you can find in the SSBM thing. Basically, it's how the character is played right now, at its peak.
I think this is the generally accepted tier list. Anyone who disagrees, well. Nyah. Unless you're Isai, ;)
Seriously, if you want to discuss, go over to the stickied thread to talk about it.

Videos
Mainly of Isai. Because Isai is awesome.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=80478
http://www.savefile.com/projects.php?pid=447517
Looking for other video threads...post if you find any.

Haze01

Smash Apprentice
There's been a lot of topics like this. They're all pretty much fated to fall and die because, for some reason, they never get stickied.

Anyway, here's a couple you could add: DI, shine, jump cancel, and taunt cancel.

I'm not sure if there's a term for the higher short hop that you get from using the joystick...

I think you should probably remove the SHFFLC. I haven't seen it used at all on here, and it might be misleading considering you need to use Z or R, not L. Plus, SHFFLC sounds like an input, and without any attack after the short hop, there's no point in the Z cancel.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
It's probably because Gideon isn't real, mwahaha! Just kidding. ...Or am I??? Actually I saw him online today.
Well, thanks for your input, as I watch this fall and die along with the rest. :laugh:
And fine, I'll remove SHFFLC and put in SHFFZC! Hah.
...Nevermind.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
My fave:
Button sliding: Act of sliding your finger from one of the C buttons into the A or B button to perform the attack at the begining of your jump.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
I pm'ed him once, never got a reply. It was about stickies.
Sent another, gonna try to get this stickied, on the way, we should make a stickied video thread. Its impossible to find old smash vids in the "official" forum for vids.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Actually, someone made an Isai thread, basically of Isai owning some people. I'm subscribed, and the videos are awesome. Isai owns.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
I know, but its not stickied and it always gets pushed down. Even though the vids are in metroids sig, it would be nice to keep them in a single thread, as well as AntD's TAS vids.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Bleh. Why is this forum so untrafficked?
And people need to see how awesome Isai is.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Yessssssssssssss! Score one for Gideon! All he said was to keep this topic updated and itll stay stickied. Along with advanced techs, we should add all the acronyms like AFA : Aeral forward A and stuff.

walugi

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget examples! Like, is button sliding useful for X, X or X

ant-d

Smash Lord
Directional influence. Holding a direction during/after a hit will influence your trajectory, hopefully increasing your chances of survival. Smash DI is smashing a direction (control stick needs to return to neutral between smashes).
The stick doesn't need to return to neutral.

walugi

Smash Apprentice
DI: Then why not just jitter it around the edges? Or is that what they do?

Moocow007

Smash Ace
walugi said:
That works, just that smashing it gives you one angle while jittering it just makes it in the general area. smash DI'ing helps when you get hit from below the edge and want to fly up.

walugi

Smash Apprentice
ahh I see. I remember when I was first looking into ssb I remember people mentioning aiming smash attacks or something? IS this possible? Sorta like a DI by the smasher

moogle

Smash Ace
Offering some corrections. :p

Wenbobular said:
Edgehog - Holding onto an edge so an enemy cannot grab it to recover. People commonly roll away from the edge, because rolling gives you invincibility frames while the system still thinks you're on the ledge.
In ssb64, you don't have the luxury of continuing to hog the ledge while your roll animation finishes. Though if you're at 100% or higher, you'll roll up more slowly and edgehog a little longer (this is true in ssbm too).

Fastfall - Pressing down after the apex of your jump to fall much faster than normal.
It's worth noting that, unlike in ssbm, you cannot fastfall in the middle of another move.

DI
Directional influence. Holding a direction during/after a hit will influence your trajectory, hopefully increasing your chances of survival. Smash DI is smashing a direction (control stick needs to return to neutral between smashes).
In ssb64, there's no way for DI to influence your trajectory (unless you hit a wall or something). There's only Smash DI in ssb64. You might want to explain Smash DI a little more though. And yeah, what ant-d said... you don't have to return the stick to neutral.

Jump cancel
Used to jump out of shields for...Usmashes? :lick:
Someone inform me on this one.
In ssbm, jump-canceling is when you press jump, then perform a move (grab, smash, etc.) before you actually leave the ground. Basically jump-cancelling lets you do a ground move in the middle of a dash or a shield (or a shine in ssbm) as though you were not dashing/shielding(/shining). As far as I know, you can't do this in ssb64, and there's really no need to, either. The dash-grab animation is the same as the grab animation, and you can up-smash out of a shield in ssb64 with no fancy tricks like jump-canceling.
All that said, you can just jump out of your shield in ssb64, just like in ssbm. Maybe that's what you meant. ;)

Shine - Fox's reflector. Because of it's set knockback, it is often used for low percentage KOs, called shine spikes.
You might want to mention that you shine cancel differently in this game than in ssbm. In 64, the shine is canceled when you touch the ground (if you started it in the air). So, to shine cancel, press jump then immediately down-B. Button-sliding is a good way to do this.

Taunt cancelling
Cancelling a taunt...except I don't know how to do this :confused:
A taunt is cancelled by the teetering animation when you're about to fall off a ledge. An easy way to do this: 1. Take C.Falcon to Hyrule Castle. 2. Jump on one of the three platforms in the middle of the stage. 3. Roll to one side of the platform. 4. Dash to the other side of the platform, but let go of the control stick as soon as possible (this is called an initial dash). 5. Right as you reach the ledge, press L, and the teetering animation should cancel your taunt animation. If you accidentally ran off the platform, you either held the control stick too long, or you forgot to roll to one side.
You can repeatedly taunt cancel by doing an initial dash left, L, initial dash right, L, etc. C.Falcon has the longest initial dash, so he's easiest to taunt cancel with. Other characters you can taunt cancel with: Mario, DK, Ness, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Yoshi (though it's hardest with Yoshi). Other characters *can* taunt cancel, but they don't make any sound.

If someone has a better explanation on taunt canceling, you can use that.

EDIT: You'll probably want to include shield grabbing and crouch canceling too.

ant-d

Smash Lord
walugi said:
I guess most people smash.

I found a 'new' DI application yesterday night, which is easier to do by not returning the stick to neutral. It involves DI'ing on the ground to hit the ledge ;)
The other method is to slide between 15-30 and 30-45 (if the control stick were a clockface).

Edit:
I should also mention smashing limits you to 1/2 input. So really, sliding/jiggling or whatever has the most potential, since it allows you to potentially hit every frame. (rather than every other frame. <--This is what smashing allows)
When done perfectly, there is a big improvement in DI distance.
Think of it like this: When you are hit there are 10 frames (for the sake of argument) where you don't move (much at all). This is the DI window, you can only DI at this point, because after these frames you fly in the direction in which you were hit.

When smashing, the most you can DI is 5 inputs left or right.
When sliding, the most you can DI is the full 10 frames.
Input = Each movement of DI. So moving 10 times is better than moving 5 times, right? yes.

Remember this is if you are perfect. So really you want to use all those frames when playing with human error. So sliding potentially leads to more, therefore better DI. The drawback is that you may have to change your hand/controller position to do it very fast. But if you think about it, even if you are half as fast as smash DI'ing, you will get the same result.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Nice, nice, keep it growing.

UpB out of Shield: Using your UpB move out of your shield by quickly smashing Up and then B (obviously) in quicksuccesion.

UpSmash out of shield: Harder than UpB out of shield because If A is pressed too early, character will grab instead. But same method as UpB out of shield.

UpSmash cancel: Start running and then use up smash to cancel the jump and use that characters upsmash. Somewhat difficult but not too hard.

ant-d

Smash Lord
ant-d said:
I guess most people smash.

I found a 'new' DI application yesterday night, which is easier to do by not returning the stick to neutral. It involves DI'ing on the ground to hit the ledge ;)
The other method is to slide between 15-30 and 30-45 (if the control stick were a clockface).

Edit:
I should also mention smashing limits you to 1/2 input. So really, sliding/jiggling or whatever has the most potential, since it allows you to potentially hit every frame. (rather than every other frame. <--This is what smashing allows)
When done perfectly, there is a big improvement in DI distance.
Think of it like this: When you are hit there are 10 frames (for the sake of argument) where you don't move (much at all). This is the DI window, you can only DI at this point, because after these frames you fly in the direction in which you were hit.

When smashing, the most you can DI is 5 inputs left or right.
When sliding, the most you can DI is the full 10 frames.
Input = Each movement of DI. So moving 10 times is better than moving 5 times, right? yes.

Remember this is if you are perfect. So really you want to use all those frames when playing with human error. So sliding potentially leads to more, therefore better DI. The drawback is that you may have to change your hand/controller position to do it very fast. But if you think about it, even if you are half as fast as smash DI'ing, you will get the same result.
I should also add that DI in this game is different from melee as Moogle said.

The reason:
When you DI in this game, you do not actually modify the initial launch direction of the hit. This is why you cannot DI throws!!
EG. If a Falcon Punch is hitting you to the right side of the screen. You can DI to the left, but what happens is: You move 10 frames left, but then get effected by the hit physics. Therefore you get launched to the right. You cannot fly to the left, the only way is if you DI into a wall or ledge (or glitch x_x). So you do not change the hit physics... only the DI window is allowed to change.

Look how much better sliding DI is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3nJT_NpGP4
You can DI into the ledge from -halfway- on the left side of Hyrule.

felix45

Smash Lord
that tier list is crap till luigi gets top or high tier.

go to the vid list you specificly posted. Isai got a 5 stock easy because the up b is that easy to connect. the other 2 luigi vids in that video the luigi just made simple mistakes with his z canceling, which is why he lost the 2nd match. you put pika high up, both opponents were obviously of almost equal skill, and yet luigi was right there with pika the whole time, but still for some reason luigi is a low tier character.

you cant really take that generally accepted tier list seriously. luigi needs to be higher.

edit: @moogle - in 64 you can run then jump cancel into usmash, which can be helpfull depending on the character.

double edit: add in dash cancel.

dash cancel - jamming the control stick down to cancel the dash and go into a standing attack (used a lot by fox players to dash in then do a dtilt to set up for a combo, just as an example)

moogle

Smash Ace
Felix45:

I'm iffy about using the term jump canceling in ssb64. Yes, I'm aware you can up-smash or up-b while running or shielding. In ssbm, you need to be aware of jump canceling to do JC grabs and to up-smash out of a shield. In 64, it's kinda... automatic. Maybe someone else can input on this.

You cannot dash cancel in ssb64 by pressing/smashing down. I've tried it many times in ssb64 after getting used to doing it in melee, and it doesn't work. :p Fox and Ness can effectively dash cancel by doing a fast shine cancel or fast DJC dair, respectively. Any character can cancel a dash by ledge canceling... but you need a ledge to do that. :p

As for Luigi... leave that for the tiers topic. Ant-d already has a reply for you. Also note that characters in this game are very balanced compared to most fighting games.

More things to add to the original list: dash dancing, initial dash, initial dash dancing (kinda similar to foxtrot), sliding off (or ledge canceling, in general), and pivoting (maybe someone could investigate differences in pivoting/DAdash between ssb64 and ssbm). There's also Yoshi's parrying.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Wow, seems that with perfect DI, most combos if not all are rendered useless. And I was too also about to say that there is no dash canceling by pressing down. REMEMBER: always test what you say, because I recall someone posting a fox combo in wich his upB burned the opponant. After that, he just got burned with posts that Fox's upB didnt have burn like in melee. Just make sure you dont give wrong info.

ant-d

Smash Lord
Add Yoshi's Block Counter too. Malva showed me this online:
Block 4 frames before an attack hits you. Yoshi will get hit while in his invinicible frames, he will then go into his egg and break out quickly. Yoshi can then jump or grab to counter before the opponent has a chance to react.

Here it is:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMEhmB2cTYs

Haze01

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised that I missed Dash Dancing. Moogle did a great job of covering a lot of terms that were missed.

I'm the one who suggested Jump Cancel, and honestly, in retrospect, I don't know what I really meant by it. I suppose what I meant was the effect of Fox's reflector on his first or second jump, Ness' dair on his second jump, Yoshi's uair on his second jump, and that's about it. No other moves really work to cancel the vertical rise of a jump.

AntD, I could be mistaken, but I often heard of that Yoshi technique being referred to as "Yoshi Parry".

And boy am I glad to be wrong about things like this. I had said these threads never get stickied, and you guys went and got it stickied for us! Thanks!

ant-d

Smash Lord
Haze01 said:
AntD, I could be mistaken, but I often heard of that Yoshi technique being referred to as "Yoshi Parry".
Nah it's not Parry. This involves shielding.

Edit: Parrying is tapping Z 2 frames before an attack hits.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
ant-d said:
Nah it's not Parry. This involves shielding.

Edit: Parrying is tapping Z 2 frames before an attack hits.
Does that include the input frame for pressing the button, and is it when it visuallly gets to you, or when the hit box touches you?

Edge hopping
While on a ledge, press down or away and quickly jump. This skips any animation you wouldve seen from rolling on to the edge, climbing on, or attacking from the ledge.

Okay, heres some character specific ones.

LINK

Bomb reset
Holding a bomb about to explode while in the air. Use your third jump and then the bomb (if timed right) will explode in your hands thus giving you and extra third jump.

Throwing bombs (methods)
To throw bombs press A, or Smash Forward,Down, or Up A to throw in those directions. Pressing down B while holding a bomb will also throw it as if you pressed Forward smash A.

Angled boomerang
Throw A boomberang and As you are taking it out, put the controll stick in an angled position or completely Up/Down to throw it in that angled direction.

Samus

Bomb Hopping
Laying bombs mid air to add a little height to your return to the field. If you still have your second jump and you bomb hop, it will dissaphear.

Blast Pivoting (please rename as you wish)
Usually used after edge hogging or spiking, seeing as in 64 smash you cannot grab the ledge backward, Use a Neutral B in the direction of the platform so you can change your direction and UpB to grab the ledge.

Angled Foward Smash
Same thing as Angled Boomerang except with Forward A, and it can only be done on the ground. Upwards forward smash not only sends your opponant further, but it causes more damage as well.

ant-d

Smash Lord
No, 5 frames including input.

In real time, shield early and you'll learn the timing by trial and error.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Holy crap, feedback!
I'll go edit now.
I'll finish edits later, my friend is umm...going through a rough time...yeah.

_glook

Got a Passion for Smashin'
Wow... I'm in a similar state of shock when I discovered Melee advanced tactics.

Although, I'd like to know how the "sliding DI" on the ground technique works.

ant-d

Smash Lord
Ground to Ledge DI

It works by getting smashed on the ground near the ledge. Once you are hit, DI into the ledge.
The input is almost the same as Reverse Edgeguarding tech.

The input is Away [from the stage], Down, Down, Towards. It depends how far away you are from the ledge though. It is much easier than it sounds, with practice.

I can do it in realtime by sliding.

This is realtime:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1892186042545637907

My success rate is good offline. Timing is different online.

DI should've had its own thread... oh well.. now everyone's confused.

walugi

Smash Apprentice
I guess the lag on kaillera is killer when doing precision moves. Atleast, you can play on kaillera as opposed to my situation. No servers in Australia!!! aargh

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Heh, confusion on DI for the win...
...Yeah...I'm confused on DI too...sheesh. I feel so ignorant :p

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Only thing on DI im confused about is how to put in the inputs. Like, how far apart are the directional smashes, or Can you rotate the stick to achieve the same resaults. Im assuming when you say Up down down away, those are all one frame or so each? But Yes, we do need a DI topic.

Haze01

Smash Apprentice
Darnit. Smash boards has been really glitchy for me. If I use a regular reply instead of quick reply, it consitently has problems. Anyone else experiencing this? I think smashboards was down for a while recently, and I only had this happening afterwards.

Editing posts is working fine, but I can't just make a normal post.

I just lost a big post, but I managed to keep a screenshot of it... I'll edit this and try to recreate my post.

Grr :mad:

Edit starts

[b ]Ant-D[/b], I wanted to apologise for being presuptuous and not even bothering to watch your video before posting that earlier reply. I agree that both Yoshi's Block Counter and Yoshi's Parry should be on the list.

Rokimomi, just a couple comments about some of your recent suggestions.

Link's bomb reset: It seems impossible to control the direction you will be facing after the blast. Is it possible? As well, I question the validity of this technique, as using it to get a fourth jump pretty much can only occur through pure luck. At best, a player would do this: only when at high percentages, they could take out the bomb, hold on to it for a while, then go on the offensive, using the bomb either as a projectile, or failsafe to cancel their outwards/upwards momentum if they get smashed/upsmashed.

Samus Angled Smash: I read that many other characters can get different effects from angling their smashes. I don't have a list, though. On a related note, I am certain that many characters can benefit by angling the joystick during certain moves while in the air. Jigglypuff definitly gets more height and distance when using a forward B and angling upwards.

Samus Bomb Hopping: Could give even more extra height from angling. Does it?

Lastly, the bit that I saved in a screenshot:
Samus blast pivoting: while pretty much all characters can turn around in midair by using their B moves, it's most effective for those four characters that CANNOT turn around by using their UP B moves. Not counting those without recovery UP B moves, these characters are:

http://members.shaw.ca/AckPtoo/pivoting.gif

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Haze01 said:
Darnit. Smash boards has been really glitchy for me. If I use a regular reply instead of quick reply, it consitently has problems. Anyone else experiencing this? I think smashboards was down for a while recently, and I only had this happening afterwards.

Editing posts is working fine, but I can't just make a normal post.

I just lost a big post, but I managed to keep a screenshot of it... I'll edit this and try to recreate my post.

Grr :mad:

Edit starts

[b ]Ant-D[/b], I wanted to apologise for being presuptuous and not even bothering to watch your video before posting that earlier reply. I agree that both Yoshi's Block Counter and Yoshi's Parry should be on the list.

Rokimomi, just a couple comments about some of your recent suggestions.

Link's bomb reset: It seems impossible to control the direction you will be facing after the blast. Is it possible? As well, I question the validity of this technique, as using it to get a fourth jump pretty much can only occur through pure luck. At best, a player would do this: only when at high percentages, they could take out the bomb, hold on to it for a while, then go on the offensive, using the bomb either as a projectile, or failsafe to cancel their outwards/upwards momentum if they get smashed/upsmashed.

Samus Angled Smash: I read that many other characters can get different effects from angling their smashes. I don't have a list, though. On a related note, I am certain that many characters can benefit by angling the joystick during certain moves while in the air. Jigglypuff definitly gets more height and distance when using a forward B and angling upwards.

Samus Bomb Hopping: Could give even more extra height from angling. Does it?

Lastly, the bit that I saved in a screenshot:
Samus blast pivoting: while pretty much all characters can turn around in midair by using their B moves, it's most effective for those four characters that CANNOT turn around by using their UP B moves. Not counting those without recovery UP B moves, these characters are:

http://members.shaw.ca/AckPtoo/pivoting.gif
Yes, the image furthers my point. Samus, has a quick blast, and can use it more effective ly than most characters. And Yes, I forgot for A little bit that most characters can angle their forward smash, but when I was making the list, I only thought about samus. But as for Bomb canceling, its, once again, extremely hard to time and use effectively, Id still have to test the direction thing but, its a valid technique, although hard, its valid.

Now for bomb hopping, if angleing it, you mean, dropping a bomb and hitting diagonal to increase height, im pretty sure you would get the same distance up wards. So in reality, its only really usefull when you are high up diagonaly from the ledge.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Wow, at first I though Links bombs sent you in the opposite direction you were facing, and I was right 90% of the time, but occasionally, it would send me in the direction I was facing.

Haze01

Smash Apprentice
So... is there any way to control the way you end up facing, when using Link's bombs in that manner? It seems especially random if you have to get it to go off near the end of his up-B.

Edit - there's also the predicament of, if the bomb explodes behind you, you get more distance, but end up facing away from the ledge. If the bomb explodes in front of you, you might benefit from more height, but do still face the ledge.

Neat to hear that Link can DI his bomb blasts... any ideas on how that could become useful, ant-d?

For now, I'm still of the opinion that blowing himself up is only useful for stopping outward/upward movement.

Top Bottom