• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Claus(MOTHER3) support thread (Spoilers Inside!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbleman_Nsider

Smash Ace
NNID
Bubbleman
3DS FC
1075-0749-7452
*Spoilers for MOTHER3 ahead!*

Mentioned twice on Sakurai's poll, most people don't know who he really is.

Claus is Lucas' older brother from MOTHER3, which is the Japan-only sequel to EarthBound(MOTHER2). He's the son of Flint and Hinawa.

Claus is a somewhat energetic boy with a sense for revenge, after his mother was killed by a once-friendly dinosaur, he grabs a knife from his father's house and goes to seek revenge, on the way to the dinosaur's mountain, he learns PSI powers, which he didn't know how to use as a child, upon facing the now mechanical dinosaur, Drago, he fails and dies, losing his right-arm.
Time passes, and years later, he was reconstructed as a mechanical slave, with a gun-like buster on his right, and a thunder-controlling sword on the left. He was "brainwashed" into helping the Pig King take over Nowhere Island by removing needles that would wake up the Dragon. In several moments in the game, he fights against Lucas and his friends, and lastly in the ending, he dies and goes to heaven along with his mother.

In other words, the Japanese people want to see Claus in action since he literally was on the pitiful parts, and never had an heroic part in the game. He is obviously different than Lucas and Ness, since he's some kind of Samus/Ness/Marth character (buster, PSI, sword).

Here's a picture of both sides of him, as a kid, and as a robot.

Claus kid:

Robo Claus(older):

This one, I made it photoshopping Lucas:

Also, here's a video of his role in the game(full spoilers!!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aDV4vJUtxY

MOVESET- by T-Major

Claus:
A: Simple horizontal swipe with his blade.
A,A: Horizontal swipe, upward-diagonal swipe that brings the blade above and in front of him.
A,A,A: Horizontal swipe, Upward diagonal swipe, Slash that goes strait down in front of him.

::TILTS::
Forward: A strait jab with his arm cannon.
Up: Swipes above him with his sword in a 180 degrees motion.
Down: A tripping kick at the opponents feet.

::SMASHES::
Forward: A Downward-diagonal slash in front of him. has a lightning effect.
Up: Two fast slashes above him.
Down: Sends thunder PSI along the ground around him, making a very small electrified area around him.

Throws:
Up: does an uppercut with his gun arm, sending the opponent strait into the air. (7-10%)

Forward: pushes them forward a bit, then follows up with a slash from his sword that sends them back. (9-13%)

Back: moves the opponent behind him, then hits them at close range with a blast from his arm cannon sending them back. (13-15%)

Down: Trips the opponents feet, knocking them onto the ground. he then points the tip of his blade at them, and zaps them with a bolt of Thunder PSI (16-19%. no knock-back)

::DASH::
Claus hops forward, and does a spin in the air (close to the ground) with his sword out, causing it to lash people within range.

::AIR ATTACKS::
Neutral: standard kick (like Links)
Forward: A downward swipe with his arm cannon.
Back: Spins around and slashes behind him with his sword.
Up: Slashes above him, causing him to do a back flip.
Down: Face stomp (Like Ness)

- B: Energy Beam- He shoots out a beam from his arm cannon that makes people flinch. similar to Samus' cannon, but shoots a beam (like Falco's laser) instead of a ball.

it can be charged; doing so will make the beam longer and cause multiple hits, as well as the ability to pass through opponents and hit people that might be behind them.

an uncharged beam does 5% damage; one hit from a charged beam still does 5%, but multiple hits (up too 3 or 4 hits maximum) will cause more damage.

- B ^ Metal Wings- He spreads his metal wings, and points his sword above him; he gives a big flap of his wings, and flies strait up; electricity swirls around his sword in a drill-like manner; harming anyone it hits.

- B > Pig bomb - He pulls out a pig bomb and throws it. after a short amount of time it explodes.

it normally goes strait, but if you tilt the control stick before it's thrown you can change the angle a bit. Tilting back will give it less distance; up will give it a high arch; and down will roll it onto the ground right in front of you.

- B v Thunder Psi- Claus points his sword down at the ground in front of him, and a bolt of lighting strikes in front of him. using it in the air will cause him to point at the ground directly under him, and send a bolt of lightning out of his sword

Taunt: Points sword at opponents

Coustume: Gray helmet, Black jacket, orange pants, stripped undershirt; yellow and blue, black shoes

If you think you should support him, just spread the word about this character!

icymatt

Smash Lord
Claus would be absolutely awesome. However, many people have brought up the point that including him in his robo-form would spoil the story for everyone who hasn't played it(Although, didn't Zelda/Sheik do that, too?).

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Claus is definently a cool charcater, but I'd rather see Flint. Why? SSBB NEEDS COWBOYS!!!!

But I still support Claus :)

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Abso-freakin-lutely. Claus would be an awesome character. He'd probably have a very interesting moveset, combing his PK, sword, and robotic skills.

SMB PORTAL

Smash Ace
Sounds intresting, but with all these new charcaters, it's so hard to keep up with all the past on these characters. Maybe I should do some research on this charcater. If I can find it...

-SMB

GenG

Smash Lord
Although we know about Masked Man being Claus since he appeared, the game refered to him as Masked Man. Well, he should keep his nickname for the spoiler sake, and drop hints in the trophies: "this guy resembles Lucas... coincidence?" or "maybe you'd want to find by fourself... in Mother 3". You know, hype. Then you buy the game and you get amazed.

I'm all for Claus, the final battle put tears in my eyes. Definitely to recall this battle in Brawl is one of my top priorities like Link vs Ganon and Mario vs Bowser were in Melee, although Claus has low chances and he hasn't met the "charismatic bad guy" requisite yet, worlwide based.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Wow Dweller, can you teach us how to think of such good reasons?[/sarcasm] I like the idea, but I think they'd have to do what GenG said, because revealing his name is Claus is a HUGE spoiler.

Super_Cool

Smash Journeyman
Wow Dweller, can you teach us how to think of such good reasons?[/sarcasm] I like the idea, but I think they'd have to do what GenG said, because revealing his name is Claus is a HUGE spoiler.
Revealing Shiek was Zelda could have been a spoiler to some...

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
I'm all for Claus, the final battle put tears in my eyes. Definitely to recall this battle in Brawl is one of my top priorities like Link vs Ganon and Mario vs Bowser were in Melee, although Claus has low chances and he hasn't met the "charismatic bad guy" requisite yet, worlwide based.
Well, I would assume that he's pretty popular in Japan, based on the popularity of the Mother series, and the fact that he made Sakurai's list. Twice, if I remember correctly. I could see Claus in the top three Mother characters in terms of probability, the other two being Jeff and Lucas.

bbb

Smash Champion
Release Mother 3 in America, problem solved. Also, nice sig Hidden Tiger.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
The real "SPOILERIFIC LOL" issue is for Western gamers. Japanese gamers gobbled the game up, and they clearly, by the poll, know what's up with Claus. So it is likely, and it could happen, and may not be so spoiling towards at least the Japanese.

...and wow, THAT'S it? I knew bits and pieces, but you've filled in the gaps about Mother 3, and that is CRAZY

Ryu777

Smash Ace
I never got around to downloading mother 3 rom, and I doubt I ever will , but the story was what interested me, and you've filled in the gaps. Another semi-spoiler was giving Roy the sword of seals, could have potentially ruined story for some. I support him, he seems really versatile, but I hope they change his look a little, right now he looks sort of like one of those lame rebel pilots from the original star wars movies.

Bubbleman_Nsider

Smash Ace
NNID
Bubbleman
3DS FC
1075-0749-7452
I never got around to downloading mother 3 rom, and I doubt I ever will , but the story was what interested me, and you've filled in the gaps.
Hmm.. the story, even though it's on Japanese, most of the animations and events can "help" you understand what is happening, also you could just grab a translation guide on sites like Gamefaqs, that's why I understood Claus' story in a more clear way, since I didn't know what really happened to him when I played MOTHER3 on my first run.

----------------
I also think Claus does have some chances on Brawl, he was one of the first characters recommended in the polls, he's somewhere in the first page, but I don't remember where does he appears again on the polls, but he appears twice too.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Agreed. Both Claus and Lucas appeared multiple times on Sakurai's list. That means that they probably have the best chances, along with Jeff, who was also mentioned multiple times, to appear as the next Mother characters.

GenG

Smash Lord
I've been talking about Claus with a friend, and we agreed in a lot of things.

First, he should have swift, accurate and disciplined movements, like a military trained man. His beam sword must to be his main weapon and most A moves.
The range of the beam sword shouldn't be too wide or long, shorter than Metaknight's Galaxia sword should be OK. I though about mixing wide and long moves: Maybe, for example, a wide yet short swing to cover one side (Forward Tilt) or a long thrust, like Marth's USmash but pointing forward (a bit shorter though).
His known abilities are: PSI Thunder, PSI Rockin', a beam shot with his right arm and a jetpack. He used a Pig Bomb to open the entrance to the Chupyoi ruins and he could use that too.
Average speed, just like Mario. His weight could be a bit higher than Ness'.

bbb

Smash Champion
I read somewhere that they're are going to release a Mother Collection for the DS in America eventualy, so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed. If it never shows up I'll go download it.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Whoa, so that was the big spoiler for Claus and Mother 3.

That's awesome, let him in.

Bubbleman_Nsider

Smash Ace
NNID
Bubbleman
3DS FC
1075-0749-7452
Nice Luke/Claus pictures, they look alike, not 100%, but like a 60%.

About the MOTHER Collection for DS, sadly, it's just a rumor, even though, if it happens, it would be great, considering the series' fanbase. But maybe that wouldn't come until later 2007, since MOTHER3 just came back on April.

I also made a moveset for Claus(kid and robot), which I'll place on a second post below this one.

Bubbleman_Nsider

Smash Ace
NNID
Bubbleman
3DS FC
1075-0749-7452
The Moveset:

Armored Claus' moveset:
Attributes:
Size- **
Power- ***
Weight- ***
Speed- ***
Jump- ***

A Attacks: Ground

A=Punch(hit thrice in order for punch+punch+kick)
Forward+A=Frontal Kick
Up+A=Head Bang
Down+A= Rapid kicks

ForwardSmash= Sword Slash
UpSmash=RisingBolt(swings sword upward)
DownSmash=ThunderBarrier(A small shocking aura sorrounds him for a second)

Running+A=Slide(slides with sword in front)

A Attacks: Aerial

A=Sword Spin(similar to Ness' normal aerial
Forward+A=ShockingSlice(Does a slice along with a pk shove)
Back+A= Swings sword backward
Down+A= Takes foot out to meteor smash
Up+A= places sword on top of him

B Attacks:

B-PK Power(something similar to PK Flash, but faster.)
Forward+B=PigBomb(throws a small bomb forward)
Up+B=Jetpack Impulse(Rises up while putting his sword in front)
Down+B=Comeback(Returns to regular Claus)

Grabs:
A-Jab
Forward- Throws opponent skyward and shoots small thunder shocks
Backward- Slams opponent into Claus' back
Down- Smashes opponent into the ground
Up- Sends opponent skyward

Special Smash- ThunderCrash(zaps an opponent for heavy damage)
Taunt- Turns a radio on with the pig army theme song for 3 secs.

Regular Claus' moveset:
Attributes:
Size- **
Power- ***
Weight-**
Speed- **
Jump- ****

A Attacks: Ground

A=Punch(hit thrice in order for punch+punch+kick)
Forward+A=Frontal Kick
Up+A=Head Bang
Down+A= Rapid kicks

ForwardSmash= GuitarCrash
UpSmash= Upward punch
DownSmash= Split kick(attacks both sides)

Running+A=rushing punch

A Attacks: Aerial

A=Spin
Forward+A=sky slap
Back+A= Kicks backwards with psi energy
Down+A= Takes foot out to meteor smash
Up+A= Upward punch

B Attacks:

B-PK Power(something similar to PK Flash, but faster.)
Forward+B=PK fire
Up+B=PK thunder
Down+B=Comeback(Returns to armored Claus)

Grabs:
A-Slap
Forward-PK Throw
Back- Reverse PK Throw
Down- PK Rain(similar to Ness' PK inferno, but with pk shoves)
Up- Shoots opponent upward with a shocking attack

Special Smash- PK Power Omega(Shoots a powerful PSI wave to the nearest opponent)
Taunt- Boney appears around him for 2 secs while smiling.

GenG

Smash Lord
His A moves are very similar to Ness'. I think Claus should have more disciplined and less goofy moves like the headbutt.
I don't like the comeback idea since Claus has never fought in normal state.
His super smash move should be Psi Rockin (it's the best move that he can pull out in the game).
I definitely love the taunt. Use repeteadly for MASSIVE DAMAGE!.

I thought about some ways to obtain him and his trophies.

1. To unlock Claus, beat Classic and Adventure with Lucas. Claus will appear at the end and fight with you.
2. To unlock "Claus Unmasked", beat Classic and Adventure in Hard.
3. To unlock "Twins reunited" (the shot with Lucas holding Claus in his arms), beat all modes with these two. This trophy is definitely worth the effort.

I have got some nice Claus fanart by the way. Enjoy:

The trophy:

Another shot:

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Woah... nice pics! Anyway, I like that moveset, but I don't like the idea of him fighting as normal Claus. He'd be too Lucas-y that way. I think he should just stay at Robo.

GenG

Smash Lord
I don't know if this was ever mentioned, but Sakurai DID have a large hand in the production of Mother 3...
Are you serious? Spit that out! I'm utterly interested in all things related to Mother 3 and Sakurai. Merge both and... spit out!

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
O RLY? Spit that out! I'm utterly interested in all things related to Mother 3 and Sakurai. Merge both and... spit out!
AHH! *cowers* ...that's all I know -_-;; That he was really looking forward to the game, and helped out.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Ow, I was expecting some rumor time :(

I know that Itoi said that "Mother 3 music is being produced for an upcoming game". I posted the full story in the general brawl forum as soon I knew. Since I can't think about any other game featuring Mother 3 content it's obvious that it's Brawl. So, music = stage. Yay Lucas and Claus.
Hold on, now. While it does seem very promising, don't forget that there was some Mother 1 music in Melee. Music doesn't necesarily secure a stage.

GenG

Smash Lord
Hold on, now. While it does seem very promising, don't forget that there was some Mother 1 music in Melee. Music doesn't necesarily secure a stage.
Maybe, but it isn't only a track, there are three tracks confirmed at least: Love Song and some DCMC songs.

3 tracks and no stage = Fail.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
His A moves are very similar to Ness'. I think Claus should have more disciplined and less goofy moves like the headbutt.
I don't like the comeback idea since Claus has never fought in normal state.
His super smash move should be Psi Rockin (it's the best move that he can pull out in the game).
I definitely love the taunt. Use repeteadly for MASSIVE DAMAGE!.

I thought about some ways to obtain him and his trophies.

1. To unlock Claus, beat Classic and Adventure with Lucas. Claus will appear at the end and fight with you.
2. To unlock "Claus Unmasked", beat Classic and Adventure in Hard.
3. To unlock "Twins reunited" (the shot with Lucas holding Claus in his arms), beat all modes with these two. This trophy is definitely worth the effort.

I have got some nice Claus fanart by the way. Enjoy:

The trophy:

Another shot:

Unlike most other Mother characters, Claus and Lucas look cool in anime form :D

Bubbleman_Nsider

Smash Ace
NNID
Bubbleman
3DS FC
1075-0749-7452
At last! Claus fan art, thanks GenG.

If there's gonna be MOTHER3 music, it's the ThemeSong(Love) and King P's Theme, which the DCMC plays in the game and also appeared on the N64 trailer.
A stage...hhhmm... maybe New Pork City, Drago's Plateau or maybe Tazimily Village.

Claus>Any crappy Toad idea.
Play MOTHER3, then comment on Claus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom