• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Fox

D1

Banned via Administration
GOD I HATE THIS MATCHUP!!!

Alright lets see uthrow uair (not a problem easy to just nair thru it)

Shinespikes (Yosh's DJC goes thru that sometimes gettin u a cool DJCC Nair for a kill if the Fox is at a high enuff %)

Hmm he's pretty easy to combo if he DIs the downthrow horribly

His recovery shouldn't be too hard as well to counter dtilt just nullifies his forward B sweetspot attempts and if he's Firefoxing towards you a welltimed fsmash could do the trick.

So even if Yoshi has certain parts of Fox's game down why does he still GET *****?

I always see it fuggin makes me cry at times...

...the **** thing is a beast...

...besides "stay away from the drill" WTF else do us Yoshi has that could help us against this top tier BEAST?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Hahahahaha.

"Don't get hit by the drill." ~UmbreonMow

The only thing Yoshi can do to Fox is take him to Jungle Japes (yehs!) and watch the good timez roll. But seriosuly, I don't know really what to do here. Lots of combos. Just try to outrange him (since Fox has no range), tilt him some (since he has no power except for his K.O. moves), and don't use your smashes unless you know for sure that they'll hit, since they're so very lag-tastic. Learn to Smash DI the waveshine and the up-aerial. You'll probably have to rely a lot on fakeouts and some pretty gritty mindgames. Fox is nooooo joke.

P.S. - "Yeah, don't get grabbed, either." ~UmbreonMow

Afghan Whigs

Smash Cadet
I play Fox and Flaco for that matter by slowly moving toward the edge of a stage and getting behind them and using a well-timed d-tilt. The tail whip knocks the fast fallers off the ledge and when they use firefox to recover, Yoshi can land a dair to spike and then recover with his monster jump. I find myself using d-tilt the most agaisnt Fox to get some space, followed by a a perfect egg that hits him as he gets up. This can then be followed by a bair then an U(air).

I find myself using wavedashing and dash dancing more against these characters to trick and then punish. Yoshi really has to have mad mind games to conquer a space animal.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Chain throw him to death with Marth. Done.

Umm... I think f-tilt outdoes his n-air. Try that out? *Shrug*

Hard matchup, I'd suggest asking Svampen, cos he's the expert.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Don't get hit by the usmash, try not to be over him in the air, or else he could do a uair or an usmash, but that's really all I got.

ÖwnÄ

Smash Ace
Depending on fox 's energy you can up throw or down throw him into a spammy utilt game to rack up some damage and then start with some uairs as he gets higher but obviously that wont always work unless they DI kinda baddly. Like Afghan Whigs said you could try some dtilts to end things quickly but dtilts are kinda situational and most fox players will know the dangers of them and try their upmost to avoid it. Thats all i have really. Oh and spam the hell out of that yoshi's lick move because;

1: If by some chance you get them near the edge they will fall to their doom extremely quickly!
2: It annoying as F**K! Haha!

Thats all i got man! Its a frigging hard match up!

Bloshi

Smash Ace
I don't find Fox matchups that hard really, it's Falco I can't get around. Crouch cancel helps alot, and nair is a gift from the gods, as it outprioritizes a bunch of stuff and is quick. Eggs help somewhat if you can mindgame some in.

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
Stay above jump happy foxes with double jump cancelled aerials. Be careful for when they start up smashing though. I haven't really found one particular strategy that works against fox, so I have to mix up my approaches and try not to be predictable. I still agree with my old advice. Drill kick is by far the worst.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Agreed.

I also like Bringer's advice--it's something I've had the pleasure of doing almost everytime I play.

It makes me feel all warm and gooey inside.

D

Deleted member

Does anyone know at what percent shine spike breaks your DJ? Cuz i want to know for when i go up against some good foxes.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Never does.

I always get lots of LULZ on Foxes who play a Yoshi for the first time and go for the shinespike! Good fun.

One thing I've been practicing on is angled forward tilts, as I still haven't gotten down how to use them in this matchup yet. However, I discovered some pretty cool stuff over the weekend! You can use angled forward tilts on platform stages and sometimes they will actually hit through the platform! Now, before I make this sound too good, I did notice that one time, Fox was doing a drill onto the platform above me and I hit him out of that so it could be that you can only hit if they have hitboxes extending through the platform (instead of YOUR hitbox going through the platform). I also tested this with Ganondorf and it seems to work (especially on Yoshi's Story gooooooood ish), but I'm not entirely sure if it was their fault they got hit (using a move instead of just standing) or my fault (forward tilt angles being too good). But yeah, give it a shot sometime.

P.S. - WOW FORWARD TILT IS SO GOOD BRINGER WHY HAVEN'T YOU SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THIS BEFORE

P.P.S. - Wow, D1's sig just 8-stocked me. 4-stock for each of my eyes. @_@

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Wow, this move is amazing.

It's perfect for those combos around fifty percent where you might not catch them in time before they hit the ground. If they bounce, what I used to do was double jab and then chase, but now I can forward tilt for amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing combo continuation.

I'm probably making this sound too good, but I discovered a whole new offensive side to forward tilt the other day. Still working on it defensively, though. x_x

D1

Banned via Administration
Nowadays vs. Foxes I just camp the ledge or dd around the edge...when they get closed enough bait 'em to attack so I could dash dance and dash grab 'em to bthrow to dtilt (if they immediately jump/or try to quickly sweetspot Forward B).

Actually opt more often now for the bthrow to dash attack (vs. their Firefox/Forward B) that head is TOO GOOD! Once they're low enuff you can either dtilt 'em and get ur guaranteed set knockback or hit 'em w/ a dsmash.

I'm finally calming my DJC happy arse down...no more wasting stocks vs. my opponents who are good vs. YOshi. If a Fox is overly aggressive...just run run run...I wouldn't advise rolling tho...just run to the edge if anything and try to get him off. Don't waste time fighting him he's too good LOL. Gimp Gimp Gimp like a Marth/Shiek would.

Also when playing a Fox thats really good at sweetspotting the ledge after you knocked them outta their forward B attempt to get back on the stage...make sure to insta-edgehog the stage...but for the most part in my experience I noticed random Foxes aren't really that good at aiming so its always best to just stand on the stage and wait...then punish.

For the most part vs. Fox its all about running away and attacking back when you think you can...you can't overpower him cuz he outpriotizes Yoshi everywhere...so just try to get a dtilt/grab to get the game going in your favor.

Top Bottom