• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL King Hippo (Punch-Out!!) For Brawl SUPPORT Thread

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
This thread is for the support of Punch-Out!!'s most popular opponent, King Hippo.

Artist's concept of King Hippo

King Hippo Sprite from Punch-Out!!

Next to Little Mac, King Hippo is one of, if not THE most famous character in Punch-Out!!(No, Mike Tyson doesn't count)

Here is some info on our King from wikipedia:
Wikipedia said:
King Hippo first appeared on the 1987 Nintendo Entertainment System game Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, as the second competitor in the Major Circuit.

In Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! King Hippo is truly the oddball of the Video Boxing Association. His defense is impenetrable until he opens his big mouth. When his mouth is hit, Hippo reveals his one weakness, a band-aid. Hippo also garnered huge fame on the NBC Saturday morning cartoon Captain N: The Game Master, which ran 34 episodes from 1989 until 1991. In the cartoon Hippo starred as one of Mother Brain's top henchmen. Strangely, he appears with blue skin, and was often paired in a comedic duo with Kid Icarus enemy Eggplant Wizard. He was voiced by Gary Chalk. King Hippo also appeared in the comic books based on the series.
I also know that on Sakurai's poll, Dragon-chan appeared. Believe me when I say this: KING HIPPO IS THE ONLY CHARACTER FROM THE PUNCH-OUT!! GAMES TO COME IN AFTER LITTLE MAC!!!!!

King Hippo, again

HEIGHT- 4/5
POWER- 4/5
SPEED- 2/5
JUMP- 2/5
GRAVITY- 5/5

Here is my moveset:

B- Hippo Swing- King Hippo swings his arms at his opponents. High hitback and reach. Also, if he hts a chaarcter, he will be stuck as an extension on his arm until he's done ;)

Foward / Back B- Hippo Headbutt- Hippo lowers his head and charges foward and that REALLY hurts his opponents and sends them flying. Not too far, but still above average knockback. Also, this move is pretty fast with little lag.

Up B- Hippo Hop- As suprising as it may seem, this move has King Hippo jump up as a normal charcter does (he has low jumps). However, what goes up, must come down.... with FORCE. When King Hippo hits the ground, it sends out a shockwave and rumbles the ground. If he lands directly on an opponent, they are stunned. People hit with the shockwave will get hurt too.

Down B- Hippo Spin- King Hippo spins around once ith his arms fulle extended. good party-breaker move with reach and power.

SUPER SMASH ATTACK- KING HIPPO'S ROYAL HEADACHE- King Hippo grabs one player with one hand and wils on them with the other. He lets go and the opponent steps back fazed. King hippo takes both his arms and slams them on each side of the opponents head. Yeah, I think that would hurt.

CHARACTER SYMBOL- Boxing gloves OR whatever Little Mac's symbol is

CHARACTER STAGE- Hippo Island OR Little Mac's stage

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN KIRBY SUCKS UP KING HIPPO- Crown and gloves.

So, who else wants Punch-Out!!'s most famous villian in Brawl? People on here are saying the want villians in Brawl, after all.....

Ms. Pac-Master

Smash Journeyman
OMFG, I'm so totally supporting this. King Hippo is my favourite Punch-Out boxer!

Cool moveset by the way. ;) Also, I'm guessing his taunt would be his winning taunt from Punch-Out... but that's a bit lame. It's just him opening and closing his mouth, while holding his hands up (I think), then his pants fall down a bit showing the band-aid.

"I WEAR XXL SIZE BOXERS HA HA HA!"

parrothead

Smash Lord
His appearance in the Captain N animated series looked like a combination of him and the Incredible Hulk.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
King Hippo FTW!!! ;)

The appearance in Captain N only helps him as he's more familiar with American audiences than the other opponents

Nice moveset, btw!

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
Great idea. I fully support this character, although I can't deny that fact that I would love to see bald bull and super macho man. Yet, that maybe be WAY to hopeful

DokturSea

Smash Lord
That man is quite possibly the fattest, ugliest, most repugnant, and the most unpleasantly looking thing I've ever seen.

I'd main in him a second.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
RIP pit >.< they made him looked ********...
You mean THIS?

In the cartoon, he was actually "Kid Icarus" and not Pit. I can't fully recall, but didn't he end nearly every sentence of paragraph wth "-icus"?

Everyone was fugged up... remember Dr. Light, Megaman, and *shudders* MegaGIRL? >.>;;
You mean, THESE?

Yeah.

Also, let's not forget what they did to Alucard from Castlevania

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
You mean THIS?

In the cartoon, he was actually "Kid Icarus" and not Pit. I can't fully recall, but didn't he end nearly every sentence of paragraph wth "-icus"?

You mean, THESE?

Yeah.

Also, let's not forget what they did to Alucard from Castlevania
OH GAWD >.<

And yeah, Kid Icarus always ended stuff with "-icus," just like Megaman always said "MEGA cool!" or "MEGA bummer!"

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
^^^ Yeah, I knew for a fact that Megaman said "Mega" in front of nearly everything. OFF TOPIC: Anyone remember the episode with Bayou Billy? Yeah, that game was evil!

I can't see another Punch Out fighter in Brawl.
Sorry, but I'm not sure why you can't see another Punch-Out!! fighter in Brawl. I can actually picture them all in with their own unique style or a luigified style of another one.

ie., Mad clown would be luigifieed of Bear Hugger. They basically were the same, just one was a clown. Same thing with Rick and Nick Bruiser, Glass Joe and Gabby Jay, and Great tiger to that kabuki guy in SNES super Punch-Out!!

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
No I don't want him because he is a stupid character idea.
PROBLEM: Once again we have Basemant bashing an idea with no supporting reasons

SOLUTION: Basemant, go play Punch-Out!!. He is the most popular opponent in the NES game. He was hardly stupid and one of the most memorable fights. He meets alot of the criteria that peole want in the game: Retro favorite, Heavyweight, Villian, easily adaptable to Smash, Sakurai's love of Punch-Out!!. Also, he was in the Captain N cartoon series, released on a world-wide scale and very popular in the show, which only adds on to his publicity and recognition. Plus, let's not forget "JON THE NINTENDO FUN CLUB TODAY!"

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Ahahaha YES! King Hippo was so dumb, but in that lovable way. As long as Little Mac is in, I would be happy to have him as a counterpart / rival character. =)

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Ahahaha YES! King Hippo was so dumb, but in that lovable way. As long as Little Mac is in, I would be happy to have him as a counterpart / rival character. =)
Yes, I think Nintendo was going for a dumb but loveable character in King Hippo. He was truly the oddball of the bunch, with his age and weight unknown and he is coming from "Hippo Island" that apparently is in the south Pacific. Remember King Hippo on captain N? He was in the "stupid-funny" pair with Eggplant Wizard from Kid Icarus which I laughed at a few times, but I think he would have been better off as a badass villian no one would mess with.

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
I think King Hippo would work better than Little Mack honestly. He has a supernatural unrealistc appearance and move set. In other words, perfect for Brawl. The only hope that Little Mac has is if they bring back Single Button mode but King Hippo could be played in really any match (for the exception of Giant Mode) that'd be creepy to see King Hippo bigger than he is

SMB PORTAL

Smash Ace
What is this forum coming to? I haven't heard of this character, but remember this is my opinion: He looks like a large character who is just alittle strange, and dosen't look like he will exactly fit in with the rest of the cast. Don't think I hate this character, and flaming the character or the topic. I wouldn't really like this character in Brawl, but the character just dosen't ring "SMASH character" to me.

-SMB

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
What is this forum coming to? I haven't heard of this character, but remember this is my opinion: He looks like a large character who is just alittle strange, and dosen't look like he will exactly fit in with the rest of the cast. Don't think I hate this character, and flaming the character or the topic. I wouldn't really like this character in Brawl, but the character just dosen't ring "SMASH character" to me.

-SMB
I know it's your opinion and you give reasons, but I'll rant anyway ^_^

In Punch-Out!!, he was the only charcter to stand out, he wasn't your generic muscley-man. He was ment to be strange, and people loved it! He has appeared on the Captain N show, even though it's crappy enjoyable in that weird way. King Hippo does fit what lots of people want in Brawl: Cartoony, retro, Heavyweight, Sakurai loves this series. I think he could fit rather well.

At least youir argument is better than "no just no" :ohwell:

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
+BUMP+ for the King!

As for his stage, should they just have KH share with Little Mac, or do you think shoul be creative and give a stage based after Hippo Island? I imagine it with a boxer's ring in the middle surrounded by palm trees that can be used as platforms and tiki's as well, but they can be destroyed and eachi indivual segment could be used as an item (or breaks open and items fall out a la pinatas). Also, torches that can burn you at the endposts of the ring could hurt you. A real Hawaiin/Polynesian theme going on.

And of course, various refrences to Hippos in the background :)

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
ie., Mad clown would be luigifieed of Bear Hugger. They basically were the same, just one was a clown. Same thing with Rick and Nick Bruiser, Glass Joe and Gabby Jay, and Hidden tiger to that kabuki guy in SNES super Punch-Out!!
Excuse me?

Top Bottom